Good morning,

i got an old Q10 last week off of Marketplace and did not know it was locked (not sure about carrier). Is there a way I can do quick check carrier lock without trying the sim card in? Also after I get to know the carrier, how to get an unlock code? It's 2022 and seems like everything is much harder than ever.

Model: SQN100-1
    Version: 10.3.3

To those who can help, I really appreciate it.

Thanks.

BTW: I'm from Canada and the phone does not look like they have any branded carrier on it, even when shutting if off and on. Tried with Fido/Rogers, no luck.
    Last edited by Phat the Saigonese; 12-09-22 at 09:03 AM.
    12-08-22 08:24 AM
    It's 2022 and seems like everything is much harder than ever.
    Harder with a 2013 phone maybe.

What country are you in? If the US, then the Q10 will likely only work for a few more months, if it does at all.
    12-08-22 11:16 AM
    Call the suspect carrier of the locked phone and ask for the code.
    12-09-22 07:58 AM
    Canada, and I know it has some life left, also since I didn't need a smartphone but a simple phone for text and call, I should be fine until 2025...
    12-09-22 09:06 AM
    Is it that simple? The phone was not bought by me and they won't ask for a contract or something? Tried asking to unlock an old iPhone before but Rogers refused to help.
    12-09-22 09:07 AM
    Is it that simple? The phone was not bought by me and they won't ask for a contract or something? Tried asking to unlock an old iPhone before but Rogers refused to help.
    Do we know it's locked? Not all of them were.

There is a way to check, but I forget where in Settings to check.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
    12-09-22 01:02 PM
    Look through the phone/email settings for any clues to a previous carrier.

Or, if you discover the previous phone number try https://freecarrierlookup.com/ They do a pretty good job.

Or, simply try to find friends who might let you insert their SIMS from alternative carriers. On a successful match the "Network and Connections" should identify the carrier.

I'm in Canada too. I inherited a BB Q10 that I knew was with Bell. I wanted to use LuckyMobile (which is an affiliate of Bell) ..but I still needed to unlock the phone.

As you may know, the 3 major carriers have lessor (consumer brand) services:

Bell == LuckyMobile
    Rogers == Chatr
    Telus == PublicMobile

Dunno what FreedomMobile is or would require.

There is even SpeakOut which is affiliated with Rogers.

Oh.. and there is Virgin which is also part of Bell.
    12-09-22 05:21 PM
    I just got signed up with Freedom Mobile. I first tried the sim card in my Passport, got calling and texting but data didn't so had to shift the card to my android phone. Good deal, but a bummer if you can't get data on a BB10 phone. And the IMEI # was shown as compatible on the website lookup.

25 gig for $45/month though, it's the best deal I've seen. But it all suggests, test your Q10 out before choosing a service.
    12-10-22 10:46 AM
    I used the Passport before with Freedom. It was working but cumbersome. I then switched to Fido (Rogers) and it works perfectly fine even with data. Freedom just uses different bandwidth.
    12-10-22 11:16 AM
    Thanks, thought about asking some friends too. And do you know then how I could get it unlocked after indentified the carrier?
    12-10-22 11:17 AM
    I just got signed up with Freedom Mobile. I first tried the sim card in my Passport, got calling and texting but data didn't so had to shift the card to my android phone. Good deal, but a bummer if you can't get data on a BB10 phone. And the IMEI # was shown as compatible on the website lookup.

25 gig for $45/month though, it's the best deal I've seen. But it all suggests, test your Q10 out before choosing a service.
    Very likely you just need to update your APN settings manually on the Passport to get data.

https://www.4gapn.com/ca/en/freedom?
    12-10-22 12:30 PM
    Thanks, thought about asking some friends too. And do you know then how I could get it unlocked after indentified the carrier?
    Just need to contact the carrier (easiest is usually live chat from their website) and they will need to provided it by law to their customers.
    Note the 'to their customers' part, as they do use that as a handle. You would need to get the friend on the respective carrier to contact them.
    12-10-22 12:32 PM
    Very likely you just need to update your APN settings manually on the Passport to get data.

https://www.4gapn.com/ca/en/freedom?
    Can't wait to try that out, thanks! Soon as I find a paperclip.

Consumption wise it has to be better. In two days on the Fold I burned through 1.4G of data. I checked what was grabbing all that data and it was mainly Chrome, 1.27G. Doing nothing special. Just surfing and the only intensive activity way may 3 youtube videos. The next three days I used the hotspot feature and surfed using the Passport, that ran 55-60 megabits each day. Even allowing for different usage patterns and maybe just not using the Net as much its still telling, a difference of a factor of 10.

I like how quick the Fold loads new sites but it's not THAT much quicker.
    12-10-22 12:46 PM
    Um, back to Phat and his issues.
    12-10-22 12:47 PM
    Thanks Ben. That exactly what I thought too since it's apparently the first step to find out which carrier it is with, then I can opt in asking my friend to help with unlocking or asking the third party service to handle that. Very much appreciated.
    12-12-22 10:12 PM
    Can't wait to try that out, thanks! Soon as I find a paperclip.

Consumption wise it has to be better. In two days on the Fold I burned through 1.4G of data. I checked what was grabbing all that data and it was mainly Chrome, 1.27G. Doing nothing special. Just surfing and the only intensive activity way may 3 youtube videos. The next three days I used the hotspot feature and surfed using the Passport, that ran 55-60 megabits each day. Even allowing for different usage patterns and maybe just not using the Net as much its still telling, a difference of a factor of 10.

I like how quick the Fold loads new sites but it's not THAT much quicker.
    Possibly your issue of excessive data usage could be not using Netguard or tapatalk when on Crackberry?

"The CB 1M Challenge, where the pantless people go"
    12-13-22 01:07 AM