I love the BB10 browser. I have used the evolution browser, but it lacks one key feature, and that's the ability to open links in a new tab. Such a simple feature that every browser has had since there was tabbed browsing, and ShaoSoft missed it. How I do not know. Keeping the evolution browser since I paid for it, but won't use it until they incorporate this feature. $2.99 for a browser without a key feature.

Posted from my Q10 running 10.2.1.1055 via CB10
    Icarus3000 likes this.
    12-01-13 02:14 AM
    I don't have many problems with the browser as you so mentioned all those supposed many issuses.The only problem that I have had was with floating menu's let's for example say "linked in" and find it difficult as times to sign out though a sign out option at the bottom of the page would help however one can just get the linked in app or what I have used in the past is the magnifier mode under accessibility. But if all else fails I just clear the web browser cache. Other then that I can turn on desktop mode and browse around problem free on the majority of websites with flash support and a built in pop up blocker while enjoying a great LTE browser experience.
    12-01-13 02:41 AM
    The browser is excellent. Drop by a store and try it out

SQN100-1 + 10.2.1.1055 | STA100-3 + 10.2.1.1055
    12-01-13 03:10 AM
    The reader mode makes it just as easy to read as the iPhone. If reading web sites is important to you, it's fantastic.

Posted via CB10
    I love the reader mode and that I can just press R to activate it

Posted via CB10
    eddy_berry and RafiqK like this.
    12-01-13 03:55 AM
    Browsing experience on Q10 is light years better than on BBOS. That said you should try the email website on one before committing. I have accessed a web portal for a personal mailbox account (in lieu of viewing via Hub) and have experienced functionality issues, especially with composing messages. No doubt this would be a deal breaker for you. Find a working Q10 demo and give it a try first.
    12-01-13 04:13 AM
    The Q10 browser is fantastic. You can do Google searches from your home screen. I guarantee you'll find things faster than your buddies.

Posted with my Q10!
    12-01-13 08:55 AM
    I'm trying to decide whether I should get the Q10 or iphone, and let me first say that I've had the Curve, Tour, Style, and currently sport the Bold 9900. I tried a couple of android sliders, but I have a stress injury in my hand that makes typing on them extremely uncomfortable and difficult. I use my phone mostly as a phone, for texting, for email, randomly looking stuff up online, and as a GPS.

I searched the forum for info on the Q10's browser and most of what is said is not complimentary. Is the browser really so bad? I don't do a lot of internet searching or reading from my phone, but I have to get my work email through a browser and usually look things up a few times a day. My husband has an iphone and when both phones are availble I ALWAYS find myself grabbing his iphone instead of the 9900. Of course, when I want to type something more than just a text, I always go for the 9900. I just think that a really bad browser might be a dealbreaker for the Q10, and I'd hate to steal one of my kids' upgrades for something that I will dislike for the next year. Thanks for any help! ~lisa~
    My last Berry was a 9700. For iPhones I had a 4S and a 5S. In my opinion, the Q10 browser blows the old BBOS browser out of the water. The 4S is about on par, though I do find the 5S to be a bit faster then both the 4S and Q10 on desktop sites. Probably due to raw processing power. As far as the final rendered product, I've found the Q10 a bit better, generally. A recent example would be the homepage for Star Trek Online. It does not have a mobile version. On either iPhone, I could not access the drop down menu to go to the forums. I tried it on the Q10 and was surprised when the drop down worked right away LOL!!!
    From what I've found, my browsing experience is only sullied by how the site is written and which site is offered to the BlackBerry browser. As an example, my first time with the Q10 was shortly after launch, and Google looked horrible. This was not the Q10's fault. Google (and other sites) often look at the user agent to determine which site is displayed. They had not updated the Google home page to offer the same page to the new BlackBerry browser as is offered to iOS and Android. Now, I've found that most sites I frequent have updated their user agent strings to offer the nice mobile vesion of their pages.
    TL-DR: the BlackBerry browser is excellent, experience may depend on what page the site offers to it. Try your most important websites before buying.

Posted via CB10
    12-01-13 09:20 AM
    At least my 9900 has text reflow. For some websites , the text size is too small on the IPhone. Apparently you can adjust the web page font size on the BB10. Does it stick or do you need to be constantly adjusting?

Test the browsers in the store. I found the Nexus phone running chrome to be the best for font size before and after a double tap.

The reader mode is a poor substitute for not having text reflow.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    12-01-13 09:37 AM
    Thanks for all of the comments! I am heading over to a Sprint store tomorrow to hopefully test out the Q10. Worst case scenario, if they don't have one to play on, I'll just take the plunge and get one. Can always return it if i don't like it, but From the comments here i think it will be just fine for me. Thanks, crackberry nation--youre the best!
    12-01-13 09:49 AM
    I like the Q10 browser and find it just as good as my girlfriends iPhone5. If you view a lot of media you might like the iPhone screen size better. But of course I'm going to tell you to try a Z10 too. But anyway, on the Q10 if you read webpages a lot you can press R for reader mode or eveb double tap the column of text to zoom into it. It works well for me. I don't have too many issues with viewing media either it's just a small screen. Have fun with whatever you get. Your choices are all fantastic devices.
    12-01-13 10:11 AM
    you should read her questions again...the Q10 is perfect for her and if she has any doubt, she can just go try one out

I did read her questions. And you're wrong.

Posted via CB10
    12-01-13 11:44 AM
    I love the BB10 browser. I have used the evolution browser, but it lacks one key feature, and that's the ability to open links in a new tab. Such a simple feature that every browser has had since there was tabbed browsing, and ShaoSoft missed it. How I do not know. Keeping the evolution browser since I paid for it, but won't use it until they incorporate this feature. $2.99 for a browser without a key feature.

Posted from my Q10 running 10.2.1.1055 via CB10
    I would use evolution browser if they fixed the saving features. Sometimes it saves and sometimes it doesn't. It's very annoying and sort of killed the evolution browser for me.

Posted via CB10
    12-01-13 01:02 PM
    i love my Q10 and the browser is fine, the bigger issue is simply the obvious, screen real estate. If given the choice i would always prefer a 5+" 1080P slab of glass to view a website, but you can get by fine with the Q10 browser. There is almost no real world functional difference because you almost always need to zoom or double tap for text to make things truly readable.

There are a few problems with the BBRY browser if you use certain sites (mostly corporate subscription based stuff that runs user verification). There are so many lazy crappy companies who do browser verification and don't keep there scripts up to date or are just too lazy to create quality sites that work across the modern browser set. Other issues include slightly more problematic situations like Citibank whose web site will not let you log-in to their mobile site because of browser verification scripts that are woefully out of date and don't recognize the BBOS10 browser.You can use the desktop version but it's very challenging to use on a small screen. Seems silly that they just don't KISS it and simply give the user the link at the bottom of their site for Mobile or Desktop versions.
    12-01-13 01:54 PM
    Thanks for all of the comments! I am heading over to a Sprint store tomorrow to hopefully test out the Q10. Worst case scenario, if they don't have one to play on, I'll just take the plunge and get one. Can always return it if i don't like it, but From the comments here i think it will be just fine for me. Thanks, crackberry nation--youre the best!
    Sprint is where I got mine as well. It will take a minute to figure out a couple navigation points if you've never touched one before but the important stuff: the nav bar is on the bottom. The three dots to the right are a slide out menu and under settings, you have a menu that says "Display And Actions" where you can enable and disable Flash (and to save on battery, I leave that off unless I absolutely need it. When you have it off, any site that uses heavy flash will cause a small bar to pop up at the top of the screen asking if you want to enable flash for that site or not. If you don't need it, tell it no and the bar goes away.

Also under settings is another menu called "Developer Tools", and here is where you can enable desktop mode if you'd rather load up a site that way instead of in mobile view.

If you remember to play with those two things when loading up some of your most important sites it'll help you make your decision. If you already knew about those things, sorry

Oh, and on the browser to the left of your nav bar is the tabs button, and that slides out a menu to access bookmarks, history, or pop open multiple tabs.

The browser also supports downloading mp3's, movie files, zips and rars, and anything else just so you know. If it's a file type your phone can't use, you can still download it and store it. Zip support is built in, there's apps for dealing with other stuff.

Posted via CB10
    12-01-13 01:57 PM
    Also under settings is another menu called "Developer Tools", and here is where you can enable desktop mode if you'd rather load up a site that way instead of in mobile view.
    I agree. There aren't enough epithets to describe how bad the BBOS browser is/was on my old Curves, but the Q10 has a really useful, versatile, and powerful browser.

Some browser-related notes for others with the same question (and maybe BB10 developers who might see the bugs listed!):

- flash ability means you can use streaming radio from local radio stations or services like Last.fm (though it's battery intensive!)

- streaming media in the browser (e.g. YouTube or aforementioned radio) is integrated into the OS, so you can use the hardware keys to control it. If I have my local station's flash playing and I open a last.fm stream, it automatically stops/pauses the stream in the other tab (or at least it did the one time I tried that).

- desktop mode means you have two different ways of accessing Gmail. I find the mobile mode for Gmail is designed for devices with taller screens than the Q10, so I prefer accessing gmail in desktop mode. Not the easiest to switch back and forth (buried menu item and you must restart the browser app, but it will remember and reopen your tabs)

- unfortunately, you can't set desktop mode on a tab-by-tab basis, so while I like to always have gmail in desktop mode, there are some sites that only work right in mobile mode.

- unlike BBOS, if you open a web link in Twitter, you can't just press backspace to close that tab and return to the Twitter app; you have to open the tab menu, press the X to close the tab (which takes some getting used to), swipe up to minimize the browser, then tap on the Twitter app icon on the home screen. That's a bit more effort than simply "backspace".

- for some webmail services (e.g. Primus), it automatically converts the keyboard so that space is @ or period. This is OK for the first email address, but it also does this when you're trying to enter multiple email addresses into an address field, and also for the SUBJECT field! Not sure if this is a BB issue or a Primus issue.

- there's a private browsing mode, but I haven't used it much

- when entering forms, there are helpful large "previous", "next" and "submit" buttons at the bottom of the screen. Handy when logging in to sites so you don't have to fish for the "submit" button.

- there's some weird thing where if you don't use a tab for a while (e.g. If your browser is minimized for, maybe an hour? Or maybe if you lock the screen?) it keeps the open tab listed, but if you open the tab it has to reload the content. I'm not sure exactly what this behaviour is so I might not be describing it accurately.

- predictive search results (e.g. When typing into a Google search bar) are cut off and there's no way to scroll to see the rest to tell which is which.

- while your profile says you're in the US, there is one thing I'd like to rant about: as a Canadian user on a Canadian phone network with his regional settings set to Canada (English) using a phone designed by a Canadian company which runs an OS programmed by a wholly-owned Canada-based subsidiary, I'm constantly annoyed that the keyboard text prediction for web addresses only gives .com, .net and .org options, not .ca. It seems to me obvious that as part of the language/region settings, the local country's TLD should be included as an option.

BTW, I typed this all on my Q10. Love love love they physical keyboard; much easier to use than my Curve.

I have other bugs I've encountered, but they're all minor (or they've likely been resolved with OS updates since I first encountered them) and not worth listing in this thread.
    bigjman likes this.
    12-01-13 05:16 PM
    This sounds like you've never even used the stock Google Keyboard, or perhaps haven't used the stock Google Keyboard in years.

The stock Google Keyboard has been amazing ever since the jump to Jelly Bean (Android 4.0). And the native swipe gesture typing is awesome.

I use both a Q10 and an oppo N1 on Android 4.2.2 and both are great to type on. Obviously my Q10 is just more amazing for business while the 5.9" display on the N1 makes it better suited for media consumption, games & checking social media updates. I still post from my Q10 to social media as I find it faster/easier (except for instagram).

Posted via CB10
    I believe you but unfortunately for me android keyboard as i said is awful.
    And yes I have tried the stock Google keyboard and I say again for me it's awful.
    Unfortunately for you, you can't change my mind for android keyboard.

From My Sexy BlackBerry Q10
    12-01-13 06:08 PM
    I found the Q10 browser to be hideous almost beyond belief in a modern smartphone.

I was a very happy Blackberry Storm user for quite a long time--I used to spend a lot of time at Crackberry--but when they were lagging in smartphone development I went down the Windows Phone route, where for the most part I am very happy. Actually I love Windows Phone, the only problem being the industry trend towards gigantic phones--I'm currently on an HTC Trophy running 7.x, which is so similar in size to the Storm I still use Storm holsters for it.

The gigantism problem drove me back to take a very close look at the Q10, not to mention that I text all the time and there's zero question I'd do that faster on a Q10 than my Trophy or next-gen WP. It appears to be an excellent communications device, and I was cheering for y'all when they finally started putting speed dial back into the Qwerty (I mean, wth?). The three reasons I finally decided against the Q10 were that both the units I played with for long periods at stores ran uncomfortably hot; the apps situation is sketchy; and the aforesaid browser is hideous for many of the sites I read.

Now granted the Q10 is not going to be the ideal browsing environment just because of its smaller screen, but it's still in good-enough territory as far as size is concerned. But so many of the sites I visit are political blogs with running commentary and links all on scrolling pages with many entries. In native browsing--that is, not using the reader--many of these sites are unreadable because the browser can't word-wrap within the available real estate as on an Iphone, Windows Phone or Android--you can zoom in but then you're back to like 2005 or something, scrolling left and right to read every line. That's where the reader is supposed to save the day, but man, what a kludge. You have to wait for the browser to make the switch, which was sometimes fast, sometimes slow, and of course it stripped out all the links. Too useless for words. I also had a problem where it would only catch one random post instead of displaying the whole page. Could never figure out if that was operator error or just an artifact of the way those blogs interact on the Q10 when switching to the reader. One thoughtful feature I did like was page-scrolling with the space key.

There's a lot to recommend the Q10 but the browser is a throwback. But this is something you really need to try for yourself.
    12-01-13 07:17 PM
    I have had my Q10 for 5 months now and I think it's great. It's light years faster than my old Bold. I use the browser all the time.

Posted via my awesome Q10
    12-01-13 07:21 PM
    Q10 browser is as good as any other BB10 device, wich means is very very good, in fact even better than android and IOS in some aspects... Most people probably complain because of the screen size, that for surfing the web would be quite inferior to a bigger screen phone...

Since you have that hand problem, the predictive text of the Z10 or Z30 might make things a lot easier to text
    12-01-13 07:25 PM
    Q10 browser is awesome. Super fast! Light-years ahead of 9900. Only drawback is the 3.1" screen.
    12-01-13 07:40 PM
    The Q10 browser is great, and renders all the sites I have loaded quickly, and with full support.

I have not had one issue with Web pages.

BB10 is a great OS, and the Q10 is a pure workhorse of a phone.

Posted via CB10
    12-01-13 11:55 PM
    Give me back column view!! Darn it. I hate all this side swiping and resizing. Waste of time.
    12-02-13 03:35 PM
    Use reader mode. It works well for the most part.

BB10 web browsing is a vast improvement over BB OS which was virtually intolerable both for page loading speed and screen size/resolution. It has improved further with 10.1 and 10.2. Closing tabs continues to be an issue, however.

Posted via CB10 on my Q10 v10.2.1.1055
    12-12-13 07:36 PM
48 12