I'm trying to decide whether I should get the Q10 or iphone, and let me first say that I've had the Curve, Tour, Style, and currently sport the Bold 9900. I tried a couple of android sliders, but I have a stress injury in my hand that makes typing on them extremely uncomfortable and difficult. I use my phone mostly as a phone, for texting, for email, randomly looking stuff up online, and as a GPS.

I searched the forum for info on the Q10's browser and most of what is said is not complimentary. Is the browser really so bad? I don't do a lot of internet searching or reading from my phone, but I have to get my work email through a browser and usually look things up a few times a day. My husband has an iphone and when both phones are availble I ALWAYS find myself grabbing his iphone instead of the 9900. Of course, when I want to type something more than just a text, I always go for the 9900. I just think that a really bad browser might be a dealbreaker for the Q10, and I'd hate to steal one of my kids' upgrades for something that I will dislike for the next year. Thanks for any help! ~lisa~
    11-30-13 02:16 PM
    Typing on Z10 us far better than an iphone. The predictive text means less typing and the auto correct is amazing.

I use the evolution browser more and more strictly because of the font size. Otherwise I think the BlackBerry browser is fine for my needs.

I know people who have Q10 and love it.

BB Proud
    11-30-13 02:21 PM
    The Q10 browser is light years ahead of your bold. That being said, perhaps the feedback is mostly related to the small screen (which you are already used to/know about).

As for its speed and rendering capability, it will not disappoint you. The only real reason to go with an iPhone is for the app catalogue. However, you should keep in mind that the iOS browser does not support flash.

Posted via CB10
    sk8er_tor likes this.
    11-30-13 02:24 PM
    No - its not that bad but -
    on any platform your best to have 2 browsers because web pages are developed to slightly different standards and with any browser you get the odd issue even with IE, firefox or safari on pc or mac. Only issue is the availability of alternate browsers - Notably no Opera ( at least at the moment)
    11-30-13 02:26 PM
    Lightening fast with flash support. I run two browsers - the native one and evolution browser. I have no problems accessing my work web mail, as well as, outlook, Gmail, and whatever else. The only issue IMO is text reflow, but reader mode takes care of that for me.

Posted via CB10
    11-30-13 02:34 PM
    The reader mode makes it just as easy to read as the iPhone. If reading web sites is important to you, it's fantastic.

Posted via CB10
    11-30-13 02:37 PM
    I don't get people's misgivings on the BB10 native browser. It's not like BBOS even slightly not that I had too many problems then either but I'm someone who, by choice, relies on my device as much as I can make possible for my various computing wants or needs and as much as I use my browser for (from banking, managing my bills and the accompanying websites, reading various news sources, downloading files, etc) I can't say I have a single complaint and certainly can't see a use for Evolution or any other browser. It's nice to be able to turn off disk cache and choose between mobile and desktop mode on the fly.

A Q might not be the best choice for a hand with a genuine stress injury, I should think you'd almost need the flexibility of full touch screen typing in that case. At any rate, all I can say for sure is that the iPhone doesn't support Flash and doesn't allow you to download any type of file you want to and be able to move it back and forth from device to external storage, nor could you easily retrieve those files from the device. That whole process requires 3rd party specialized downloader apps on iOS. Might be worth noting.

Posted via CB10
    11-30-13 02:44 PM
    I don't get people's misgivings on the BB10 native browser. It's not like BBOS even slightly not that I had too many problems then either but I'm someone who, by choice, relies on my device as much as I can make possible for my various computing wants or needs and as much as I use my browser for (from banking, managing my bills and the accompanying websites, reading various news sources, downloading files, etc) I can't say I have a single complaint and certainly can't see a use for Evolution or any other browser. It's nice to be able to turn off disk cache and choose between mobile and desktop mode on the fly.

A Q might not be the best choice for a hand with a genuine stress injury, I should think you'd almost need the flexibility of full touch screen typing in that case. At any rate, all I can say for sure is that the iPhone doesn't support Flash and doesn't allow you to download any type of file you want to and be able to move it back and forth from device to external storage, nor could you easily retrieve those files from the device. That whole process requires 3rd party specialized downloader apps on iOS. Might be worth noting.

Posted via CB10
    I love my Q10 and it's the device I work all day, but for the record I had for several years iPhones with last the iPhone 5.
    Jailbroken iPhone can do almost everything that mentioned above from my friend.
    There is only a problem......if your iPhone doesn't have the specific iOS xxx on it you can't jailbreak it (the new models)
    Without jailbreak the iPhone is for me a piece of ****, after jailbreak it is amazing and you can do almost everything without the need of a pc.
    But I choose blackberry for now and yes the native browser is perfect for me.(changing -switching between desktop mode and supporting flash) is a + for me.
    Q10 - iPhone =1-0

From My Sexy BlackBerry Q10
    11-30-13 03:14 PM
    I love my Q10 and it's the device I work all day, but for the record I had for several years iPhones with last the iPhone 5.
    There is only a problem......if your iPhone doesn't have the specific iOS xxx on it you can't jailbreak it (the new models)
    Without jailbreak the iPhone is for me a piece of ****, after jailbreak it is amazing and you can do almost everything without the need of a pc.
    But I choose blackberry for now and yes the native browser is perfect for me.(changing -switching between desktop mode and supporting flash) is a + for me.
    Q10 - iPhone =1-0

P.S whatever you choose they are both lovely, it's your choice really

11-30-13 03:20 PM
    Thanks for the replies so far. I can tolerate typing on a portrait style keyboard, so I'm trying to get the best of both worlds--good browser and easy typing. I don't use so many apps (i have an ipod touch for games, podcasts, etc), just gps really. And I like the LED for notifications... I suspect that I'd dislike the iphone but I KNOW that I'll dislike the Q if its browser is not good!
    11-30-13 03:21 PM
    Thanks for the replies so far. I can tolerate typing on a portrait style keyboard, so I'm trying to get the best of both worlds--good browser and easy typing. I don't use so many apps (i have an ipod touch for games, podcasts, etc), just gps really. And I like the LED for notifications... I suspect that I'd dislike the iphone but I KNOW that I'll dislike the Q if its browser is not good!
    If you are asking only for the browser than I think that browsing on an iPhone 5 is a little bit cooler than the Q10. (bigger screen makes everything work easier)
    It's my personal opinion after using both of them.
    And yes the keyboard on the iPhone is very good and doesn't make mistakes
    Android keyboard is awful please don't choose it you will get disappointed
    I choose the keyboard of Q10 but that's only my opinion.
    Try both them if you can a lot and then buy the device that covers you most .

11-30-13 03:31 PM
    If you want the best browser, then get any BlackBerry 10 device. I love my Q10 and can many websites that my friends with iPhones can't access. This notion of the Q10's web browser not being good is just misinformation. By the way, the web browser in the Q10 is the same as the Z10 and Z30. Only difference is the smaller screen.
    11-30-13 03:59 PM
    Browser is really good actually. The bar at the bottom disappears when scrolling to maximize screen real estate

Posted via CB10
    11-30-13 05:05 PM
    Probably the best mobile browser there is, unless I'm missing something lol?

Posted via CB10
    11-30-13 07:20 PM
    The BlackBerry 10 browser is top notch. It is nothing like the old BlackBerry browser. Nothing. I agree that reflow would be cool to have. But reader mode works pretty well for me too.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.1055
    11-30-13 07:35 PM
    It takes getting used to. At first I didn't like it compared to the 9900 but now it's grown on me.

Q10 & 9900 on Bell Mobility
    11-30-13 07:37 PM
    The only real problem I have with the BlackBerry Q10 browser is when I use shortcut keys like "b" and "t", I get word suggestions and I need to refresh the page for the shortcuts to work. If I hit "b" for bottom a lot of times I get the same word suggestions. Sometimes it works and sometimes it does

Posted via CB10
    11-30-13 07:44 PM
    It takes getting used to. At first I didn't like it compared to the 9900 but now it's grown on me.

Q10 & 9900 on Bell Mobility
    your post doesn't really answer the question......the browser is far superior on the Q, and she wanted comparison to the iPhone. I have used both and prefer the Q by far

11-30-13 07:47 PM
    Q10 - iPhone =1-0

Hmm, well you've got me there because I don't know anything about the results of jailbreaking. That also hadn't occured to me because I'm so against screwing around with phone firmware that it hadn't crossed my mind when I wrote that. Does that process enable mass storage support? I guess it's good to know Apple users have some options if they really really want them. I always (honestly) felt kind of bad for iOS fans in that their hardware is so excessively locked down.

Posted via CB10
    11-30-13 10:01 PM
    Android keyboard is awful please don't choose it you will get disappointed
    This sounds like you've never even used the stock Google Keyboard, or perhaps haven't used the stock Google Keyboard in years.

The stock Google Keyboard has been amazing ever since the jump to Jelly Bean (Android 4.0). And the native swipe gesture typing is awesome.

I use both a Q10 and an oppo N1 on Android 4.2.2 and both are great to type on. Obviously my Q10 is just more amazing for business while the 5.9" display on the N1 makes it better suited for media consumption, games & checking social media updates. I still post from my Q10 to social media as I find it faster/easier (except for instagram).

Posted via CB10
    11-30-13 10:14 PM
    The browser on BlackBerry 10 is nothing like the one on BBOS. It's easily equal to Safari and Chrome. If there's any downside specific to the Q10, it's that its screen size is not as browser use friendly as a large full touch screen slab like the Z series phones.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    11-30-13 10:28 PM
    I like the Q10 browser - the short cut keys for zooming, reader mode, and page down/up makes it a different but still enjoyable experience for browsing.

Of course, having a bigger screen would be nice and both Zeds are more enjoyable in that respect BUT from what you describe as your phone use habits, the Q10 should be a joy to use.

The browser is no different if not better than android or iOS offerings, it's just a smaller screen but I personally have no issues using it to broswe.

Posted via CB10
    11-30-13 11:09 PM
    I think people here are leading you astray. The Q10 browser is just barely passable, in my experience, but more importantly, for the way you seem to use a phone browser, it does NOT seem like a good choice.

Get a Z10 or an iPhone, if you can't use an Android. But I think you want a full touch screen phone browser.

Posted via CB10
    12-01-13 01:33 AM
    How bad is it!? My Q10's browser is super fast. Coming from an HTC One I don't have any qualms. It serves its purpose effortlessly!
    12-01-13 01:35 AM
    I think people here are leading you astray. The Q10 browser is just barely passable, in my experience, but more importantly, for the way you seem to use a phone browser, it does NOT seem like a good choice.

Get a Z10 or an iPhone, if you can't use an Android. But I think you want a full touch screen phone browser.

Posted via CB10
    you should read her questions again...the Q10 is perfect for her and if she has any doubt, she can just go try one out

12-01-13 01:52 AM
48 12