So are you able to set it up with Microsoft Outlook to sync calendar and contacts as well?
    Yes. It's just another Exchange server in the eyes of Outlook.
    07-15-13 10:21 PM
    Spend some time learning the options in the accounts settings. I have important unlisted contacts which I do not share with Google, it is possible to do the same with your calendar.

Don't be ashamed of the tinfoil hat, invasion of privacy is not acceptable. If you pay for something it is a product which is yours alone, but if it is free, then you are the product. Such is the case with Google accounts.

Even if you pay for it, it may not be "yours." Just look at the TOS for any ISP or cell provider.
    Just Me likes this.
    07-15-13 10:24 PM
    Logged on to my Google work email account today on my desktop computer...and was mortified/horrified/violated to see all the appointments I put into my Q10 calendar staring back at me from my desktop screen. Google was so proud of what they had done....they're telling me all about how they were gonna manage my calendar for me from my desktop and did I want to be notified 10 or 20 minutes ahead of time about all my events? No option to exit or not have my privacy invaded. This is unbelievable. George Orwell must be smiling down now from the great beyond. Ever heard of 1984? We are the living realization of that book. I'm really beside myself. Can someone point me in the right direction to end this utter invasion of my privacy? I almost threw my phone in the river and cancelled everything. This whole experience makes me want to install solar panels on my cabin and get off the grid entirely. I'm really just beside myself. I mean, I know everyone knows what's on my phone already. But do you have to rub it in my face? Can anyone help me salvage what's left of my perception of privacy? This is an outrage. Just a sad day for me.
    If you're serious, take a look at what calendar you choose when making an appointment. It's a Dropbox at the top of the create screen

Posted via CB10
    07-15-13 10:48 PM
    Frankly and honestly, I think the OP is suffering from some form of mental illness. I'm not saying that to be facetious, but the over-reaction to seeing appointments on a calendar and the paranoia that everyone is looking or cares suggests some deeper issues.

Posted via CB10
    jesuswasemo likes this.
    07-15-13 10:56 PM
    YOU authorised it when you set up your phone.

YOU did.
    jesuswasemo likes this.
    07-15-13 11:06 PM
    Logged on to my Google work email account today on my desktop computer...and was mortified/horrified/violated to see all the appointments I put into my Q10 calendar staring back at me from my desktop screen.
    If they showed up in your google account, then you ADDED them to your google account, not into your "Q10 calendar".

Swipe down from the top of just about any screen.
    Choose Settings -> Accounts
    Press the 3-dots overflow menu icon
    Choose Set Defaults
    Find the section that says "Calendar".

The values shown here were set by you as part of the setup process of the phone.

Change the default account from your gmail address to "Device - Local".

In the future, when you create a "sensitive" event in your calendar, make sure you pay attention to the big pulldown at the top of the screen, right above the "Subject" box, were it tells you what calendar you are adding the appointment to.
    07-15-13 11:13 PM
    Frankly and honestly, I think the OP is suffering from some form of mental illness. I'm not saying that to be facetious, but the over-reaction to seeing appointments on a calendar and the paranoia that everyone is looking or cares suggests some deeper issues.
    Granted the OP was being rather Drama Queen and thus not exactly engendering helpful replies from folks.... anyone who has to be HIPPA-compliant and/or otherwise have a legal obligation to maintain client confidentiality would rightfully be concerned with appointments they thought were being added only to the handheld actually being added to google instead. (Unlike at least one attorney I know who uses gmail as his regular email account for communicating with clients *head::desk* despite my explaining at least twice to him about Google's TOS. *sigh*)
    Mr.Willie likes this.
    07-15-13 11:21 PM
    Granted the OP was being rather Drama Queen and thus not exactly engendering helpful replies from folks.... anyone who has to be HIPPA-compliant and/or otherwise have a legal obligation to maintain client confidentiality would rightfully be concerned with appointments they thought were being added only to the handheld actually being added to google instead. (Unlike at least one attorney I know who uses gmail as his regular email account for communicating with clients *head::desk* despite my explaining at least twice to him about Google's TOS. *sigh*)
    Really though, shouldn't he have thought about that and moved the slider to no on the calendar sync option though? Just wait until he looks at his contacts. Whoa boy that will be ugly. He states he's used BlackBerry before, but this is how it was on my 9810 and 9800. This is nothing new. It's been that way for as long as I've had a Gmail account.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by bradu1; 07-16-13 at 01:24 AM.
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    07-16-13 12:01 AM
    Logged on to my Google work email account today on my desktop computer...and was mortified/horrified/violated to see all the appointments I put into my Q10 calendar staring back at me from my desktop screen. Google was so proud of what they had done....they're telling me all about how they were gonna manage my calendar for me from my desktop and did I want to be notified 10 or 20 minutes ahead of time about all my events? No option to exit or not have my privacy invaded. This is unbelievable. George Orwell must be smiling down now from the great beyond. Ever heard of 1984? We are the living realization of that book. I'm really beside myself. Can someone point me in the right direction to end this utter invasion of my privacy? I almost threw my phone in the river and cancelled everything. This whole experience makes me want to install solar panels on my cabin and get off the grid entirely. I'm really just beside myself. I mean, I know everyone knows what's on my phone already. But do you have to rub it in my face? Can anyone help me salvage what's left of my perception of privacy? This is an outrage. Just a sad day for me.
    You are so so funny. Omg the way you express the privacy violation. That was just so funny...
    07-16-13 01:09 AM
    People are more than happy to share every intimate detail of their lives on social networking sites these days.
    Nobody cares about privacy anymore.
    "The sheep won't even need a chip implanted--they'll carry it around like status symbol." � JAFOAgain
    neefer likes this.
    07-16-13 06:01 AM
    It's Sync not Synch guys.

http://bottomlineenglish.com/the-spelling-is-sync

Idk why but it makes me cringe a little when I see the H.
    neefer and OldSkoolVWLover like this.
    07-16-13 06:20 AM
    Nobody's reading your calendar. It's on a computer encrypted , not on a piece of paper... paranoia will make ya nuts...
    07-16-13 06:26 AM
    Yes. It's just another Exchange server in the eyes of Outlook.
    That's awesome! Thanks for the tip.
    07-16-13 06:28 AM
    Wow. Diagnosing someone you've never met and with no qualifications to do so? A little harsh. Several postings on this thread are essentially stating, "It isn't an issue for me, therefore it is not an issue for you."
    I suspect this is OP's first use of cloud services, did not fully realize the extent and implications, and was startled to see all that personal data on the big screen. And, yes, a pretty dramatic response.
    Social norms and laws always lag behind the world of fast-evolving technology. I think CB will become better at including security and privacy issues in their reviews. That will help readers at all levels to make better informed choices. I think it would be an interesting topic for a monthly article or something.
    07-16-13 10:24 AM
    To the OP: privacy is there but how much are you willing to pay for it? You can sign up for a hosted exchange service that's secure (secure being relative to what you have now). Your phone can make end to end encrypted calls and handle secure messaging (BBM not implemented on BES is NOT secure). Each of these capabilities will cost money.

"Maybe the only privacy you have left is in your own head, and that's probably too much." ("Enemy of the State", 1998)
    07-16-13 10:55 AM
    I completely understand sulcopetes concerns regarding the Google services and the calendar sync. However the people around here are right with the fact, he had to choose which stuff gets synced once he configured his Google account on the device. I for one don't use any Google stuff, don't have an account either. However I am using an outlook.com account, which also features calender synchronisation. I was asked what kind of stuff I wanted to sync with this account: Mails, contacts and calendar. I only selected mails and so far, neither my contacts, nor my appointments show up on outlook service.

Unlike most of the CB folks around here, I am not interested in cloud services like Google or Outlook or whatever else is out there. Uploading every bit of information to a company you don't know and you don't even pay for, is an odd philosophy for me. I'd rather have my stuff on my private desktop computer(s), hence why I think decent USB syncing and backup methods are important. Maybe I'd also give my data to a company I reviewed prior paying them to keep my data safe. There are hacking and data stealing reports from major companies and services like Steam, Ubi Soft, Electronic Arts, Twitter and a couple of online shops on weekly basis. I just dislike the fact to store this stuff without keeping such dangers in mind.

Posted via the awesome Blackberry Q10
    07-16-13 01:48 PM
    So are you able to set it up with Microsoft Outlook to sync calendar and contacts as well?
    The people that answered yes, answered you correctly.

Posted via CB10
    Yea, because anyone who disagrees with your thought process must do so because they are mentally ill. Not everyone is a professional writer, filter out the dramatics and get to the core of what they are trying to say.

I've been on major job sites where supers for other companies were told not to use any email accounts other than their company accounts, and if they didn't have one, they would call their boss and get them one.

Besides, in the business world it's just unprofessional.
    07-16-13 02:17 PM
    People's narcissism in thinking that the federal government has some kind of interest in their Google calendar baffles me. Truly hilarious.

Posted via CB10
    Guess your not following the news
    07-16-13 03:19 PM
    I completely understand sulcopetes concerns regarding the Google services and the calendar sync. However the people around here are right with the fact, he had to choose which stuff gets synced once he configured his Google account on the device. I for one don't use any Google stuff, don't have an account either. However I am using an outlook.com account, which also features calender synchronisation. I was asked what kind of stuff I wanted to sync with this account: Mails, contacts and calendar. I only selected mails and so far, neither my contacts, nor my appointments show up on outlook service.

Unlike most of the CB folks around here, I am not interested in cloud services like Google or Outlook or whatever else is out there. Uploading every bit of information to a company you don't know and you don't even pay for, is an odd philosophy for me. I'd rather have my stuff on my private desktop computer(s), hence why I think decent USB syncing and backup methods are important. Maybe I'd also give my data to a company I reviewed prior paying them to keep my data safe. There are hacking and data stealing reports from major companies and services like Steam, Ubi Soft, Electronic Arts, Twitter and a couple of online shops on weekly basis. I just dislike the fact to store this stuff without keeping such dangers in mind.

Posted via the awesome Blackberry Q10
    DITTO!
    07-16-13 03:21 PM
    Freaking hilarious!
    07-16-13 03:33 PM
    It's Sync not Synch guys.

http://bottomlineenglish.com/the-spelling-is-sync

Idk why but it makes me cringe a little when I see the H.
    OCD much?

Posted via CB10
    07-16-13 03:59 PM
    The people that answered yes, answered you correctly.
    Thanks, I might look into this then.
    07-16-13 08:28 PM
    Guess your not following the news
    It's "you're ".

Posted via CB10
    neefer, nova_8 and Shanicenicolle like this.
    07-17-13 02:09 AM
    OCD much?

Posted via CB10
    Yes! Lol at least I admit it!
    08-04-13 08:06 PM
    I know these posts are a bit out of date, but shame on you jesuswasemo, coppola77, JerryA, and the rest of you... I think I know what the 'A' stands for.

With the latest Crackberry software release v. 10.2.1 you cannot just update your Google password like the other accounts. When you update the OS none of your account passwords are ported over. You have no choice but to update your passwords.

AOL and Comcast accounts look the same as they did before...put your password in the password field and you're done. When you go to re-input your Google p/w you are faced with a Google sign in screen. Put your password in and the next screen you see is:
    "This app would like to:"
    View and manage your mail,
    Manage your calendars, and
    View and manage your contacts using the CarDAV protocol

You can either Accept or Cancel.

If you cancel you cannot send or receive gmail emails from your Crackberry. Simple as that.

Obviously I selected Cancel, then it took me to a screen with the option to Delete. I did and haven't looked back.

I find, in life, that if you have nothing good to say...don't say anything at all. I broke this rule above but the lot of you were WAY OUT OF LINE!

Sulcopete, try looking at the more recent threads for this Google issue from the May 2014 timeframe. They may be more helpful than the jokers in this thread...
    Superdupont 2_0 and sulcopete like this.
    06-18-14 11:17 PM
76 1234