You need to get laid asap.

Posted via CB10
    LOL That's the first helpful thing you said.
    07-15-13 05:15 PM
    Shameless thread booster. Does anyone care about this sort of thing happening? Am I all alone here?
    Yes, I do. What you describe is just one of the reasons why I sated on another thread that BB10/Z10/Q10 doesn't offer me anything different than any other phone OS out there and compels me not one whit to buy one. Any pretense about security is just an empty promise base on a reputation long past. Imagine my own horror after updating the OS on my 9800 and after just opening the previously deleted but then returned Facebook app, All my contacts had uploaded to that S**thole. Permissions already pre selected.
    Gone are the slightly inconvenient but more prudent days of direct syncing to Outlook. Gone are the days when I just sign up for BIS and have encrypted email as a simple consumer insted of having to jump through hoops to avoid the colonic ads after I buy a juicer online (true!). The ****'s gone too far in my book, and Blackberry, in an effort to be just like the rest, has assured it's slow demise into mediocrity.
    BlackBerry, if you really want to expand into a true mobile ecosystem that is unique and ubiquitous, then give me a secure email and browser service, along with secure apps. It doesn't have to be NSA proof but it does have to be google proof or FacePlant proof or any other commercial snoop proof. It's called dignity and I would pay big money to secure that.
    07-15-13 05:24 PM
    BB10 isn't BBOS. They don't behave or configure the same.

As for the privacy issue, that's on you. The configuration walks through to the Google permissions page which explicitly tells you that it's setting up mail, syncing contacts and syncing the calendar. YOU have to Allow this to continue. Thus, no invasion of privacy since you provided EXPLICIT PERMISSION.
    Right...wrong and wrong again. I got the info I needed, and it wasn't from you. Feels good to be ignoring you from here on out and logging off. ehcuoD.
    07-15-13 05:25 PM
    You need to get laid asap.

Posted via CB10
    Good idea.. And DON'T put that up as an appointment on your Calendar.
    07-15-13 05:25 PM
    What's up with all the comments? Either help the OP or move along....

Gmail is handled differently than how I described it earlier.

On the phone, go to Settings, then Accounts. You should then see a list of your Gmail accounts. It will say Gmail, then under it will show your email address, then under it will say Calendar (you may have one that also says Email and maybe another one that says Contacts). Click on the one that says Calendar and then the delete (garbage bin icon) on the bottom.

Hopefully that will help.
    rjpawlak and nah.uhh like this.
    07-15-13 05:29 PM
    What's up with all the comments? Either help the OP or move along....
    When the OP wraps his question with such grand hyperbole and editorial, the responses are guaranteed to be as such.
    07-15-13 05:35 PM
    Sulcopete - Yeah, somehow the option to enable calendar sync got set. My phone is working with gmail without sharing either contacts or calendar. In all seriousness - BB was one of the few phones that had seamless outlook sync via USB. Now everyone's data is in the cloud.

For those that don't care about three letter agencies, read stories like this one:
    Hacked! - James Fallows - The Atlantic
    Or:
    $15,000 disappears from Dubai expat account after email hacked - Emirates 24/7
    I could find a bunch more. Bottom line is that the more personal info you have out there, the more you are vulnerable to identity theft.

You'll excuse me now, but I have a strong desire to watch 'Enemy of the State'.

Bob
    07-15-13 05:53 PM
    Some of you are not getting it. This has been my gripe with no two-way USB sync to Outlook. I have confidential data. I use a cloud service for my data, and I lose my license. Done.
    rjpawlak, nah.uhh and Taigatrommel like this.
    07-15-13 06:04 PM
    While I understand the privacy issue and I don't think that Google is a completely benevolent company, I don't have an issue with my Blackberry Q10 synchronizing the calendar events with my Google calendar... just like I don't have an issue with my ISP knowing all the websites that I've visited or Netflix knowing which movies I like when I rank the movies or my cellphone company knowing all the phone numbers that I've called or received calls from, etc.
    07-15-13 06:13 PM
    Logged on to my Google work email account today on my desktop computer...and was mortified/horrified/violated to see all the appointments I put into my Q10 calendar staring back at me from my desktop screen. Google was so proud of what they had done....they're telling me all about how they were gonna manage my calendar for me from my desktop and did I want to be notified 10 or 20 minutes ahead of time about all my events? No option to exit or not have my privacy invaded. This is unbelievable. George Orwell must be smiling down now from the great beyond. Ever heard of 1984? We are the living realization of that book. I'm really beside myself. Can someone point me in the right direction to end this utter invasion of my privacy? I almost threw my phone in the river and cancelled everything. This whole experience makes me want to install solar panels on my cabin and get off the grid entirely. I'm really just beside myself. I mean, I know everyone knows what's on my phone already. But do you have to rub it in my face? Can anyone help me salvage what's left of my perception of privacy? This is an outrage. Just a sad day for me.
    Why are you using a GMail account ? Spend the $4 a month and get an exchange account through MicroSoft. Easy and inexpensive.
    07-15-13 06:16 PM
    I think this has been around for a while?

Anyway I noticed it work the other way around actually. I had someone send me an appointment schedule, done with outlook I suppose, for a scheduled meeting time. It was sent over email and push forwarded to my 9700 BB. Anyway, I was shocked to find blackberry decided to add that schedule (recurring) for me into my calender. It knew what to do and where to add it. Somehow integrated. Anyway, I would have added it manually but it did it for me.
    07-15-13 06:18 PM
    "The biggest conspiracy has always been the fact that there is no conspiracy. Nobody's out to get you. Nobody gives a s**t whether you live or die. There, you feel better now?" - Dennis Miller
    Shanicenicolle likes this.
    07-15-13 06:26 PM
    Why are you using a GMail account ? Spend the $4 a month and get an exchange account through MicroSoft. Easy and inexpensive.
    are MSFT servers any more "safe" than Google just because you pay for it?
    07-15-13 06:28 PM
    Define "safe."
    07-15-13 06:39 PM
    are MSFT servers any more "safe" than Google just because you pay for it?
    It's an Exchange account hosted on a MS Exchange server. It's just that it's on a Microsoft Microsoft Exchange Server instead of one at your office, if you work for a large company.

There are no bots that scan your emails, calanders, chats, ect. However, I am sure that they turn over data to the NSA if requested. I sure do hope we find out the whole truth about this.

If you have your own domain, after signing up you can change it from the @onmicrosoft.com

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ex...%5FXT103965589
    07-15-13 06:42 PM
    BB10 isn't BBOS. They don't behave or configure the same.

As for the privacy issue, that's on you. The configuration walks through to the Google permissions page which explicitly tells you that it's setting up mail, syncing contacts and syncing the calendar. YOU have to Allow this to continue. Thus, no invasion of privacy since you provided EXPLICIT PERMISSION.
    This is 100% correct it asks you what you want it to sync when you add the account.

As others said, there is also the default calendars selection. If OP is that much again google calendar go into accounts app and delete the calendar as other suggested, that should remedy your problem. If you need any help beyond that please reply.

As others have said, I too have given into google calendar, gmail, contacts, docs, etc. Doesn't really bother me much, and my secure work information is housed in a MS server farm in Texas somewhere so it really isn't much safer. I don't have much important enough in my personal stuff for me to worry about what google is looking at.
    07-15-13 06:45 PM
    It's an Exchange account hosted on a MS Exchange server. It's just that it's on a Microsoft Microsoft Exchange Server instead of one at your office, if you work for a large company.

There are no bots that scan your emails, calanders, chats, ect. However, I am sure that they turn over data to the NSA if requested. I sure do hope we find out the whole truth about this.

If you have your own domain, after signing up you can change it from the @onmicrosoft.com

Try or buy Microsoft Exchange
    it was a rhetorical question. the answer is no.
    07-15-13 06:47 PM
    Whatever you want to believe... Sorry I thought you were being genuine.

For anyone that cares, it's a full blown Exchange service.
    07-15-13 07:09 PM
    George Orwell must be smiling down now from the great beyond. Ever heard of 1984? We are the living realization of that book. I'm really beside myself. Can someone point me in the right direction to end this utter invasion of my privacy? I almost threw my phone in the river and cancelled everything.
    Have you read 1984? Nothing there about this. You are still in control of your information. Take it down, put it up, share , don't share. You joined a network that makes your calendar available to you in all the locations and devices you choose. You chose. Come on now, learn how to use this stuff. When you get really good at it, then they will shoot you.
    07-15-13 07:10 PM
    but truth is I never answered a question "yes" about synching a calendar with google.
    A Yes is the same a NEXT to a blind bat, nudge-nudge.
    L o r d R a j likes this.
    07-15-13 07:31 PM
    The negative responses are as ridiculous and unwarranted as the OP's 1984 comparisons.

Here's my question to the OP though - if you didn't want the events synched to your Google account, why did you add them to your Google calendar? When you add an event in the calendar, the first dropdown lets you choose which calendar account it will be synced with. If you selected your work email account without realizing it was tied into Google's calendar, then this is your sysadmin's responsibility to educate you about the issue.

Google and BlackBerry are just providing the services asked for here. As has been mentioned, you can disable the automatic sync for the calendar in Settings > Accounts, though if you really want to avoid using Google's services you should make sure you're adding them to your local calendar - or get the company to invest in their own servers.
    07-15-13 07:33 PM
    People are more than happy to share every intimate detail of their lives on social networking sites these days.
    Nobody cares about privacy anymore.
    07-15-13 09:13 PM
    I was actually looking at moving a work account from Google Apps to Microsoft.
    07-15-13 09:25 PM

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ex...%5FXT103965589
    So are you able to set it up with Microsoft Outlook to sync calendar and contacts as well?
    07-15-13 09:27 PM
    I've been with blackberry since the days of the curve, Jerry. I know how to use the phone, but don't pretend to know everything about how to use the phone which is why I come here for information. And it most certainly is a Google issue. I never used the word conspiracy. You did. I used the words "invasion of privacy" which this most certainly is.
    Spend some time learning the options in the accounts settings. I have important unlisted contacts which I do not share with Google, it is possible to do the same with your calendar.

Don't be ashamed of the tinfoil hat, invasion of privacy is not acceptable. If you pay for something it is a product which is yours alone, but if it is free, then you are the product. Such is the case with Google accounts.
    Mr.Willie likes this.
    07-15-13 09:35 PM
76 1234