Logged on to my Google work email account today on my desktop computer...and was mortified/horrified/violated to see all the appointments I put into my Q10 calendar staring back at me from my desktop screen. Google was so proud of what they had done....they're telling me all about how they were gonna manage my calendar for me from my desktop and did I want to be notified 10 or 20 minutes ahead of time about all my events? No option to exit or not have my privacy invaded. This is unbelievable. George Orwell must be smiling down now from the great beyond. Ever heard of 1984? We are the living realization of that book. I'm really beside myself. Can someone point me in the right direction to end this utter invasion of my privacy? I almost threw my phone in the river and cancelled everything. This whole experience makes me want to install solar panels on my cabin and get off the grid entirely. I'm really just beside myself. I mean, I know everyone knows what's on my phone already. But do you have to rub it in my face? Can anyone help me salvage what's left of my perception of privacy? This is an outrage. Just a sad day for me.
    Last edited by sulcopete; 07-15-13 at 04:14 PM.
    07-15-13 04:00 PM
    Shameless thread booster. Does anyone care about this sort of thing happening? Am I all alone here?
    nico2004 likes this.
    07-15-13 04:10 PM
    Logged on to my Google work email account today on my desktop computer...and was mortified/horrified/violated to see all the appointments I put into my Q10 calendar staring back at me from my desktop screen. Google was so proud of what they had done....they're telling me all about how they were gonna manage my calendar for me from my desktop and did I want to be notified 10 or 20 minutes ahead of time about all my events? No option to exit or not have my privacy invaded. This is unbelievable. George Orwell must be smiling down now from the great beyond. Ever heard of 1984? We're the living realization of that book. I'm really beside myself. Can someone point me in the right direction to end this utter invasion of my privacy? I almost threw my phone in the river and cancelled everything. This whole experience makes me want to install solar panels on my cabin and get off the grid entirely. I'm really just beside myself. I mean, I know everyone knows what's on my phone already. But do you have to rub it in my face? Can anyone help me salvage what's left of my perception of privacy? This is an outrage. Just a sad day for me.
    I agree...you should go move into a cabin.

Posted via CB10
    ATMJOE, nico2004, fbloise and 2 others like this.
    07-15-13 04:14 PM
    Disable the calendar sync.

Go into Settings, then Accounts, then click on your Google account, and turn Sync Calendar OFF.
    07-15-13 04:15 PM
    I agree...you should go move into a cabin.

Posted via CB10
    Wow. I respect your right to your opinion. Anyone else here who doesn't work for Google or the NSA?
    07-15-13 04:16 PM
    Lol? I think it's syncing your calendar dude. Just remove that from accounts.
    djdosage and Mack Gans like this.
    07-15-13 04:16 PM
    Disable the calendar sync.

Go into Settings, then Accounts, then click on your Google account, and turn Sync Calendar OFF.
    On my desktop or on my phone?
    07-15-13 04:17 PM
    Throw the phone in the river bro see if it can skip!!!

Posted via CB Q-10
    07-15-13 04:19 PM
    People's narcissism in thinking that the federal government has some kind of interest in their Google calendar baffles me. Truly hilarious.

Posted via CB10
    07-15-13 04:22 PM
    Lol? I think it's syncing your calendar dude. Just remove that from accounts.
    Have you checked in settings to see if there was an option not synch with Google? I just did (on the phone) and there's nothing about that. There's something for sharing appointments but nothing saying "Don't synch my calendar with Google"
    07-15-13 04:24 PM
    People's narcissism in thinking that the federal government has some kind of interest in their Google calendar baffles me. Truly hilarious.

Posted via CB10
    And people's willingness to let Google into every corner of their lives, thinking that Google is some sort of benevolent force (and not just trying to make money) baffles me. Truly scary. If you're not trying to help me solve this issue, coppola, I'd appreciate you not contributing any more to the dialog. You're wasting your time here. Thanks anyway.
    Mr.Willie and k3cub like this.
    07-15-13 04:27 PM
    Well then remove your Gmail account from your phone. Then add it again, but pay close attention to each and every screen before clicking next.
    djdosage likes this.
    07-15-13 04:28 PM

Posted via CB10
    And if you had read my original post more carefully, this didn't happen from my google calendar. It was Google taking the info from my native BlackBerry calendar application, and feeding it back to me through my Google email account that I use for work. I've never had or wanted a google calendar.
    07-15-13 04:30 PM
    Have you checked in settings to see if there was an option not synch with Google? I just did (on the phone) and there's nothing about that. There's something for sharing appointments but nothing saying "Don't synch my calendar with Google"
    OP, disable the Google Calendar account (CalDAV) if you want the sledgehammer method. But then you won't be able to see your work calendar on the phone.

Or, if you're mostly creating personal appointments change the default calendar for where said appointments are created.

OP, don't blame Google or BlackBerry for your mistakes or lack of knowledge.
    oakvillerelopro and fbloise like this.
    07-15-13 04:31 PM
    And people's willingness to let Google into every corner of their lives, thinking that Google is some sort of benevolent force (and not just trying to make money) baffles me. Truly scary. If you're not trying to help me solve this issue, coppola, I'd appreciate you not contributing any more to the dialog. You're wasting your time here. Thanks anyway.
    Learn to use your phone, before bashing other folks or claiming conspiracy. This isn't a Google issue.

Seriously.
    07-15-13 04:34 PM
    Well then remove your Gmail account from your phone. Then add it again, but pay close attention to each and every screen before clicking next.
    This.

You decide whether or not you want Google to sync with your calendar when you set up the account on your phone. They didn't force it upon you. Pay attention.
    07-15-13 04:34 PM
    And this is the photo that your front-facing camera took today...you should really put some tape or something over that too.

Horrified to see my Calendar (with my appointments!) staring at me on Google-tin_foil_hat_3.png
    07-15-13 04:36 PM
    Sounds to me like you guys are all pretty good at leveling baseless attacks...but truth is I never answered a question "yes" about synching a calendar with google. And truth is, no one has pointed me to where I need to go to sever the synch. I checked the email setting on my phone, and there's no option not to synch. When I was setting up the accounts originally, if there were any such options presented to me, I certainly would have chosen no. I'll go through it again. Thanks (I think) for the feedback.
    07-15-13 04:42 PM
    I've been with blackberry since the days of the curve, Jerry. I know how to use the phone, but don't pretend to know everything about how to use the phone which is why I come here for information. And it most certainly is a Google issue. I never used the word conspiracy. You did. I used the words "invasion of privacy" which this most certainly is.
    07-15-13 04:45 PM
    To the OP: the issue is calendar sync. Personally, I have given in, and now I have my Gmail calendar syncing between my desktop, Playbook and phone. I've even set it as my default calendar, so that I don't end up entering an appointment in Playbook that I can't see on my phone. Yes, Google probably checks addresses of where you have scheduled your meetings, and then sends you ads for businesses near those addresses. It probably also suggests that you add meeting attendees to Google+. But unless you use your phone's calendar to schedule meetings at strip joints and you don't want your boss to see that, you really have nothing to worry about. You are free to ignore the ads. If you don't sync calendars, Google will just send you different ads, based on your web browsing history or content of your email messages (yes, it reads those too). It's the price we pay for using a "free" email service.
    sulcopete likes this.
    07-15-13 04:47 PM
    Sounds to me like you guys are all pretty good at leveling baseless attacks...but truth is I never answered a question "yes" about synching a calendar with google. And truth is, no one has pointed me to where I need to go to sever the synch. I checked the email setting on my phone, and there's no option not to synch. When I was setting up the accounts originally, if there were any such options presented to me, I certainly would have chosen no. I'll go through it again. Thanks (I think) for the feedback.
    Accounts, find your email, it should say Email and other stuff like Calendar and/or Contacts. Click on that and find the one that says calendar and delete it.
    Also, you can go see if it's still in the calendar by swiping top to bottom and going in manage, and see if it's still there.
    07-15-13 04:47 PM
    If you check in Account Settings, click on your Gmail account. There should be Calendar option there (since you are syncing the calendar). Change the Sync Interval to "manual" or just delete the Calendar account entry.
    sulcopete likes this.
    07-15-13 04:49 PM
    Lol

Posted via CB10
    07-15-13 04:52 PM
    You need to get laid asap.

Posted via CB10
    07-15-13 04:55 PM
    I've been with blackberry since the days of the curve, Jerry. I know how to use the phone, but don't pretend to know everything about how to use the phone which is why I come here for information. And it most certainly is a Google issue. I never used the word conspiracy. You did. I used the words "invasion of privacy" which this most certainly is.
    BB10 isn't BBOS. They don't behave or configure the same.

As for the privacy issue, that's on you. The configuration walks through to the Google permissions page which explicitly tells you that it's setting up mail, syncing contacts and syncing the calendar. YOU have to Allow this to continue. Thus, no invasion of privacy since you provided EXPLICIT PERMISSION.
    07-15-13 05:13 PM
76 123 ...