I'm really hoping my precious Q doesn't have to go for repair.

The "W" key has become so sensitive that just brushing it is enough to register a keystroke. I get a lot of errors now, particularly when I type an "e".

The phone otherwise is operating fine, and I'd hate to have to go without it. And, no, I'm not disassembling the phone myself for repair.

Anyone else see this?

From the awesome PHYSICAL keyboard of my Q10
    10-12-13 06:59 PM
    This started last week on my Q10. Same letter. I'm sending it back and getting a new one next week. It's a corporate phone so no sweat for me. Hope it ends well for you.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-13 07:06 PM
    I changed out my keyboard myself. It was quick and easy but the only way to fix it without sending it in.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-13 07:09 PM
    Yup...there's a huge thread on it, something like "Q10 double typing issue." Some people think it's a software issue, others think it's hardware. Many have had their keyboards replaced, with mostly good results (I believe a few have had the problem return after several repairs).

Personally, I used a can of compressed electrical contact cleaner and sprayed the keyboard down, with the spray away from the screen. I also used a business card to keep anything at all from contacting the glass. I hesitate to recommend doing this, as some sprays will leave a protective residue like polyphenol ether, which could seep into the screen if sprayed too close. Other sprays are very harsh and can dry out plastic.
    10-12-13 07:11 PM
    This started last week on my Q10. Same letter. I'm sending it back and getting a new one next week. It's a corporate phone so no sweat for me. Hope it ends well for you.

Posted via CB10
    Same letter... interesting. Yeah, I see this going back for service.

From the awesome PHYSICAL keyboard of my Q10
    10-12-13 08:10 PM
    I've started noticing one key press results in the same letter being repeated. Happens occasionally, more often actually while I'm putting in my device password. I'll see how it goes a little while longer.

As far as I know the Q10 has a one year warranty, so if I do need to exchange it, might as well get all the use I can until I'm closer to a year I would think.

I've done well over 15k texts, numerous emails, text documents and thousands of bbm messages since June, but I still think it shouldn't do the double type.

It's interesting, no doubles while typing this post. Maybe I'm just twitchy. I'll keep my eye on it for now.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-13 09:19 PM
    Yup...there's a huge thread on it, something like "Q10 double typing issue." Some people think it's a software issue, others think it's hardware. Many have had their keyboards replaced, with mostly good results (I believe a few have had the problem return after several repairs).

Personally, I used a can of compressed electrical contact cleaner and sprayed the keyboard down, with the spray away from the screen. I also used a business card to keep anything at all from contacting the glass. I hesitate to recommend doing this, as some sprays will leave a protective residue like polyphenol ether, which could seep into the screen if sprayed too close. Other sprays are very harsh and can dry out plastic.
    Mine is not a double typing issue. It's a typing issue that occurs when simply gliding my finger over the "w" results in multiple presses without actually pressing it. It started a week ago and it's getting progressively worse.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-13 10:02 PM
    Useful post! Just curious, how long had you been using your phones before the problem surfaced?

Blackberry is dead; long live Blackberry!
    10-12-13 10:22 PM
    Mine is not a double typing issue. It's a typing issue that occurs when simply gliding my finger over the "w" results in multiple presses without actually pressing it. It started a week ago and it's getting progressively worse.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, that exactly represents the issue for me.
    10-12-13 10:25 PM
    Useful post! Just curious, how long had you been using your phones before the problem surfaced?

Me, I've had my Q10 since July. I think I've been experiencing the problem for a few days, and had just put it down to poor typing. When I realized that I was getting extra characters from the keyboard, I started to worry.
    10-12-13 10:26 PM
    had same issue with letter i. got a replacement from att under warranty
    10-12-13 10:27 PM
    Hmm I've had mine for about 2 months now but I haven't had this problem yet. I hope this isn't a hardware issue I'm going to have to expect.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-13 10:34 PM
    This started happening with the A key on my 9900 (it only happened very rarely). I feel like there were threads over in the Bold section for this too. It could just be a problem for all BlackBerry smartphones, but probably more for some than others.

To be fair, I did change the color of my keyboard to red.

Help! Weird keyboard issue!-img_00000144.jpg

I think the only way to fix the problem is to replace the keyboard. Or, you could try and rip the keyboard apart (like I did to my 9900) and see if there are any food crumbs (not sure if that would work). That is very risky though because instead of having a semi-functional phone, you'd have a not-at-all-functional phone if you bess up.

Posted via the super amazing BlackBerry Q10
    10-12-13 10:35 PM

I've had the phone since mid August.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-13 10:50 PM
    Got my replacement Q10 today. Best part is that it now has 10.2 loaded.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-13 04:50 PM
    Nice! Who's your carrier?

I guess the replacement with 10.2 would be carrier dependent or whether the phone came straight from BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-13 05:29 PM
    Got my replacement Q10 today. Best part is that it now has 10.2 loaded.

Posted via CB10
    What!? Please type "myver" (without quotes) into a post.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-13 05:50 PM
    I migrated to a "spare" Z10 I had (it also just came back from repair, and will eventually be going to my older daughter). I miss my Q already.

Found a decent tutorial vid on YouTube, and a new keyboard with the tools to perform the repair is only $20. I'll probably have my phone back MUCH quicker this way...
    10-16-13 07:05 PM
    It's on BES10. I think enterprise users get the updates sooner than the general public.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-13 08:13 PM