First time Phone-buyer. Do you (unbiasedly) think I should get a Blackberry Q10, iPhone 5S, or Moto X? Or even the Nokia Lumia 1020? I don't like huge screens. I need Pebble compatibility (whether First or Third Party), decent app selection (Even if I need to sideload), and a good OS. If anyone can help me, go ahead!
    03-30-14 05:54 PM
    First time Phone-buyer. Do you (unbiasedly) think I should get a Blackberry Q10, iPhone 5S, or Moto X? Or even the Nokia Lumia 1020? I don't like huge screens. I need Pebble compatibility (whether First or Third Party), decent app selection (Even if I need to sideload), and a good OS. If anyone can help me, go ahead!
    Well always want more people choosing BlackBerry and being a BlackBerry forum of course you should get one. I have no idea what pepple is or what apps you want. If you have no experience with smart phones then it will be which os type you want to learn.

Reg Q10SQN100-1/10.2.1.2141
    LogicalKoopa likes this.
    03-30-14 06:05 PM
    [QUOTE=RegN;10186589]Well always want more people choosing BlackBerry and being a BlackBerry forum of course you should get one. I have no idea what pepple is or what apps you want. If you have no experience with smart phones then it will be which os type you want to learn.

The pebble is a smartwatch and it's not that I don't have experience with phones. I've used android (on tablets), iOS (Both phones and tablets), and BB10. I know most of the quirks since I've watched videos and read articles. I've got lots of experience.
    03-30-14 06:18 PM
    Moto X or Q10... iPhone isn't even in that race lol (I have a Z30 and Moto X)
    LogicalKoopa likes this.
    03-30-14 06:26 PM
    Well the first time phone buyer got me. I think that bb10 is going to continue to improve. They seem to really be pushing to catch up. But that is it while they are fixing some are moving. That said I choose to be a BlackBerry person and make it work. They all seem to have some good and bad.

One thing once you make your choice don't look back or second guess. You will drive yourself nuts. Good luck and hope you join us.

LogicalKoopa likes this.
    03-30-14 06:28 PM
    Well the first time phone buyer got me. I think that bb10 is going to continue to improve. They seem to really be pushing to catch up. But that is it while they are fixing some are moving. That said I choose to be a BlackBerry person and make it work. They all seem to have some good and bad.

One thing once you make your choice don't look back or second guess. You will drive yourself nuts. Good luck and hope you join us.

Hmmm. I found out that the pebble 2.0 app works with BB10. I very just might! This seems like a great community and since we have the ability to sideload... I could make the switch
    03-30-14 06:34 PM
    What's more important to you, screen size or a physical keyboard? That will make you decide between the all-touch and Q10 already

Posted via CB10
    LogicalKoopa likes this.
    03-30-14 06:39 PM
    Hmmm. I found out that the pebble 2.0 app works with BB10. I very just might! This seems like a great community and since we have the ability to sideload... I could make the switch
    You said you have experience with all platforms. What are you using now? What do you like about it? What would you change? Which of the Q10, iPhone, MotoX offers the features you want and eliminates what you didn't like? As a Z10, Q10, and Z30 owner I of course endorse the Q10 highly. But you need to choose what meets you needs best.

Posted with my BlackBerry Q10 on VZW from Philly
    LogicalKoopa likes this.
    03-30-14 06:39 PM
    If you are considering iPhone 5s and Moto X you should also consider Z30. There are pebble compatible apps on BB10 mostly from third party support.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    LogicalKoopa likes this.
    03-30-14 06:41 PM
    Check the app talk2watch.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    LogicalKoopa likes this.
    03-30-14 06:43 PM
    If you're on a Q10 board, you're likely to receive some biased feedback . Just as I'm sure you would on an apple or android site. Look at the pros and cons of each and make the best decision possible. You really can't go wrong.

Posted via CB10
    LogicalKoopa likes this.
    03-30-14 07:38 PM
    Break down your phone needs into percentages, if texting, emailing and communication is over 60% I would go with the Q10. If apps, gaming, watching videos are your highest percentage, I would look into the other phones but don't forget about the Z10/Z30. I'm at about 80%-90% email, text and phone so for the me the Q10 is untouchable. At times I wish my screen was bigger for watching videos and I do miss some apps but most of the time I'm blowing through email responses and texts while others are having to correct after they type.

No matter which route you go make sure to jump back on here and let us know. Good luck!

Posted via Q10
    03-30-14 09:11 PM
    [QUOTE=LogicalKoopa;10186640]
    Well always want more people choosing BlackBerry and being a BlackBerry forum of course you should get one. I have no idea what pepple is or what apps you want. If you have no experience with smart phones then it will be which os type you want to learn.

The pebble is a smartwatch and it's not that I don't have experience with phones. I've used android (on tablets), iOS (Both phones and tablets), and BB10. I know most of the quirks since I've watched videos and read articles. I've got lots of experience.
    Just curious, if you used all these phones, why did you say you were a first time buyer? Do you really need people's suggestions if you already know most of the quirks?
    LogicalKoopa likes this.
    03-30-14 09:30 PM
    As a z10 owner here that has has some experience with all three phones you mention, here's my opinion on the matter:

TLDR: if you like keyboards get the Q10, if you like bigscreens and are okay with virtual keyboards get the MotoX.

Overall ergonomics the MotoX is the winner as the screen size to phone ratio is the best of all three. iphone5 has too much bezel for screen. MotoX fits in the hand nicely and single hand usage is probably going to be better as you can get your thumb to draw down from notifications.

Keyboard: toss up between MotoX and Q10; really depends on what you'd rather prefer physical or virtual. Iphone 5 keyboard is arguably the worst of the three in terms of usability and text prediction. MotoX stock keyboard is fine as for the usual android fare, but you have the option of switching it for swiftkey or swype.

Battery life: MotoX or Q10 are going to beat the iphone 5 as both motoX and Q10 use AMOLED types of screens that burn less battery with displayed blacks using less amperage when displayed on screen. Technically the Q10 should be better on the battery as it has to drive a smaller screen, but as usual your mileage may vary depending on how much you keep your screen on. Q10 is the only one of the three that actually has the capabiility of swapping out the battery. However, all three devices can use a battery bank for extended charging.

Screen quality: as mentioned before the Q10 and MotoX use AMOLED technology so the colours tend to get over saturated a bit, but maybe you like that. But in terms of clarity dont let Apple's marketing fool on you the whole RETINA deal. All three phones display images crisply with thier respective high PPI displays. It really comes down to whether or not you want saturated colours vs normal colours in videos and pictures.

Performance: unless you're a hardware geek and get high off higher numbers, all three phones will run 3d games no problems and each respective OS runs smoothly on hardware platform. Each will lag from time to time due to task switching or running multiple apps int he background for whatever reason such as data syncing or shutting down processes.

Sound: In terms of loudness the motoX has the loudest output on the external speaker, but it is also sounds the tinniest. iphone and Q10 seem to carry better bass but not that much better but the sacrifice is the overall loudness and it isn't the greatest.

Features: Iphone 5 obviously has the largest app store and there is some better support as its been around the longest. The whole finger scanning thing can be handy for quick access but it can be fooled easily (look it up on youtube). The camera is second to none in terms of quality as far as camera phones go. The slomo video recording is nice to play around with. the phone scratches very easily. bezel swiping features were ripped off android and the task switcher was ripped off from the playbook. Thats all I can really say about it.

MotoX really shines if you're a google services user. The moto X is going to be the best bill as its nearly a stock android experience and ties in with google services nicely. with apps, you're going to get most of the apps that the apple store has. The camera can automatically activate with a flick of the wrist. Which can be handy if you want to take pictures on the spot fast, however the interface is a bit confusing to access certain features. At least it offers the most options in the shot of all three phones in question. The quality of camera shots is pretty decent and it also has slomo mode like the iphone5. The notifications for messaging is pretty good and can compare with what Blackberry has in terms of the Hub. if you like the idea of the home screen and widgets, then MotoX is the way to go.

...and the Q10. Blackberry has come a long way and it still has a bit to go, but it will get there. The Whole philosophy of the "flow" for blackberry OS10 takes a bit to master but once you do master it you will get things done faster than ios or android platforms. As for the Q10 itself it is the best current generation keyboard smartphone on the market, its so good that some company named "typo" decided to rip blackberry off in terms of design. If youre not heavily invested into the google services thing then BBOS10 is the way to go as it gives you the best flexibility in most other services like yahoo and outlook. if messaging is your thing then the Q10 is going to be your best friend til the end of your day. The camera quality is okay and it can be quirky as the software doesnt let you control much in terms of iso and exposure but for the most part it does its best to give you a picture. In terms of overall quality it is worst of the three but that doesn't mean it takes awful pictures. I personally find that the HDR function of the Q10 camera the best of all three phones. In terms of apps the q10, despite the ability to side load android apps, will suffer as the aspect ratio may not be compatible with most apps. The programmers have to format thier apps to run on the 1:1 aspect ratio. The key thing about the q10 or BBOS10 in particular is the hub and the active frames. Those two features alone keep me on blackberry and prevent me from switching to the MotoX.
    03-30-14 10:20 PM
    Do realise that coming from an onscreen keyboard after years the physical one does need some practise. I've been using a touchscreen device since the HTC HD2 came out.

After that made a tour via iphones (3g, 3gs, 4) android devices (galaxy), windows phone on to BB10. First got a Z10 when it came out. Used it for about 8 months and then decided I needed to get a Q to go alongside.

After getting the Q I got worried during the first days that typing on the tiny keys would actually be slower. As I made a hell of a lot of typos.

After about a week I got the hang of it and now I have difficulties going back to onscreen typing. It takes way more focussing then typing on hardware. It feels unnatural in someway.

Been using the Q as the daily driver for about 3 months now and the battery life is awesome and the size is a blessing.

BB10 is without a doubt the best out of the box os available at the moment. If you need a phone to do stuff that is.

Well worth the try, but you will miss some screenestate as mentioned before.

Posted via CB10
    LogicalKoopa likes this.
    03-30-14 11:54 PM
    As a z10 owner here that has has some experience with all three phones you mention, here's my opinion on the matter:

TLDR: if you like keyboards get the Q10, if you like bigscreens and are okay with virtual keyboards get the MotoX.

Overall ergonomics the MotoX is the winner as the screen size to phone ratio is the best of all three. iphone5 has too much bezel for screen. MotoX fits in the hand nicely and single hand usage is probably going to be better as you can get your thumb to draw down from notifications.

Keyboard: toss up between MotoX and Q10; really depends on what you'd rather prefer physical or virtual. Iphone 5 keyboard is arguably the worst of the three in terms of usability and text prediction. MotoX stock keyboard is fine as for the usual android fare, but you have the option of switching it for swiftkey or swype.

Battery life: MotoX or Q10 are going to beat the iphone 5 as both motoX and Q10 use AMOLED types of screens that burn less battery with displayed blacks using less amperage when displayed on screen. Technically the Q10 should be better on the battery as it has to drive a smaller screen, but as usual your mileage may vary depending on how much you keep your screen on. Q10 is the only one of the three that actually has the capabiility of swapping out the battery. However, all three devices can use a battery bank for extended charging.

Screen quality: as mentioned before the Q10 and MotoX use AMOLED technology so the colours tend to get over saturated a bit, but maybe you like that. But in terms of clarity dont let Apple's marketing fool on you the whole RETINA deal. All three phones display images crisply with thier respective high PPI displays. It really comes down to whether or not you want saturated colours vs normal colours in videos and pictures.

Performance: unless you're a hardware geek and get high off higher numbers, all three phones will run 3d games no problems and each respective OS runs smoothly on hardware platform. Each will lag from time to time due to task switching or running multiple apps int he background for whatever reason such as data syncing or shutting down processes.

Sound: In terms of loudness the motoX has the loudest output on the external speaker, but it is also sounds the tinniest. iphone and Q10 seem to carry better bass but not that much better but the sacrifice is the overall loudness and it isn't the greatest.

Features: Iphone 5 obviously has the largest app store and there is some better support as its been around the longest. The whole finger scanning thing can be handy for quick access but it can be fooled easily (look it up on youtube). The camera is second to none in terms of quality as far as camera phones go. The slomo video recording is nice to play around with. the phone scratches very easily. bezel swiping features were ripped off android and the task switcher was ripped off from the playbook. Thats all I can really say about it.

MotoX really shines if you're a google services user. The moto X is going to be the best bill as its nearly a stock android experience and ties in with google services nicely. with apps, you're going to get most of the apps that the apple store has. The camera can automatically activate with a flick of the wrist. Which can be handy if you want to take pictures on the spot fast, however the interface is a bit confusing to access certain features. At least it offers the most options in the shot of all three phones in question. The quality of camera shots is pretty decent and it also has slomo mode like the iphone5. The notifications for messaging is pretty good and can compare with what Blackberry has in terms of the Hub. if you like the idea of the home screen and widgets, then MotoX is the way to go.

...and the Q10. Blackberry has come a long way and it still has a bit to go, but it will get there. The Whole philosophy of the "flow" for blackberry OS10 takes a bit to master but once you do master it you will get things done faster than ios or android platforms. As for the Q10 itself it is the best current generation keyboard smartphone on the market, its so good that some company named "typo" decided to rip blackberry off in terms of design. If youre not heavily invested into the google services thing then BBOS10 is the way to go as it gives you the best flexibility in most other services like yahoo and outlook. if messaging is your thing then the Q10 is going to be your best friend til the end of your day. The camera quality is okay and it can be quirky as the software doesnt let you control much in terms of iso and exposure but for the most part it does its best to give you a picture. In terms of overall quality it is worst of the three but that doesn't mean it takes awful pictures. I personally find that the HDR function of the Q10 camera the best of all three phones. In terms of apps the q10, despite the ability to side load android apps, will suffer as the aspect ratio may not be compatible with most apps. The programmers have to format thier apps to run on the 1:1 aspect ratio. The key thing about the q10 or BBOS10 in particular is the hub and the active frames. Those two features alone keep me on blackberry and prevent me from switching to the MotoX.
    Hi there. Thank you for taking time to write this helpful reply, really appreciate it. Even though I already use a Q10.

LogicalKoopa likes this.
    03-31-14 02:40 AM
    It really depends on what you want from a phone...the Moto X is a great device! (loads of apps, almost a stock Google experience and the device will receive android updates earlier than most devices!)
    I'd rather you wait for the IPhone 6 before you jump ship and go for the 5s. ( loads of apps, great os)
    Q10 - the new bb10 os is a breath of fresh air! However, the lack of apps is a bit of a bummer! ( but most android apps can directly be accessed and downloaded from third party stores like Snap, Aptoide, etc) oh! And the keyboard is amazing!
    I would recommend a Z30 though...brilliant battery life(upto 25 hours of mixed usage) and that sexy AMOLED screen!
    If you're all about apps, go for android or ios...but if you are willing to take the plunge, then go for the Z30 or the Q10! Cheers!

Posted via CB10
    LogicalKoopa likes this.
    03-31-14 04:18 AM
    Here's the thing, if you care AT ALL what other people think, you won't be happy with BlackBerry.

Sure, the majority of us here using CB will push, and be ok with your BlackBerry phone desire... but your friends will lol @ you.
    You will have a difficult (not impossible) but difficult time just buying one (unless CB has the one you want in stock) as sales staff will bad mouth your desire to see/purchase BlackBerry. They will roll their eyes and bla bla bla all the way to the back room (not many stores display BlackBerry) and may come back empty handed saying something like "oh, the battery is dead, here look at this shiny iToy".

If you need to impress your friends, look @ what they have, and get one of the newer versions so you have a better experience. And you can all be part of the herd.

When you are ready for BlackBerry, you won't be asking anyone. Instead you will TELL people what you want. You will have done your own research, and decided to get one of the great devices BlackBerry offers. You will remind the children @ the store they work on commission and you did not ask for their opinion, you will say "get me what I asked for, or I will go to the next store and give them my $". If the kid says "BlackBerry is dead and going out of business" you know they are not informed, just talking out their ***.

If you check out unbiased reviews of BlackBerry10 devices, you will find they are great communication tools.

Do you want to lead, or blend in and follow?

CDN
    LogicalKoopa and Ricktye like this.
    03-31-14 10:44 AM
    Where's the question? Q10!!

Posted Via CB10 - Q10SQN100-1/10.2.1.2141
    LogicalKoopa likes this.
    03-31-14 11:32 AM
    Go for Q10, no doubt, it's worth to do that.

Posted via CB10
    LogicalKoopa likes this.
    03-31-14 12:43 PM
    The Q10 is the best Communications device out there, if you're not an App Junkie and can live with the 3.1 inch screen then you should definitely get it, OS10 is Awesome, If not then The MotoX is, what I consider the Best Android Phone out there
    LogicalKoopa likes this.
    03-31-14 01:01 PM
    I don't really care about the camera (I'm not a photographer,so why do I need a superb camera) and I don't really need lots of games (it's called a tablet), so the Q10 seems like a great choice. I'll tell you guys soon!
    Dave Bourque likes this.
    03-31-14 03:46 PM
    Q10 is right for you then

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    03-31-14 06:49 PM
    I will recommend you the moto x by its ton of features like active display and touch less control!
    Look at this review and you will get a idea of what I am talking about(note: the OS which is use on the video is a older, the most recently is kitkat(4.4.2) which has improve touch less control, camera and more)

Sent from my XT1058 using CB Forums mobile app
    03-31-14 07:39 PM
    Honestly a Z30 sounds so much better to me, but then again I'd choose my Z10 over all of those phones anyway. BB10 just can't be beat.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-14 07:51 PM
35 12