Hello CrackBerry!
    My name is Alvin, I'm from Indonesia and one of blackberry fans.
    There are some questions about blackberry that I wanted to ask :
    1. Yesterday, I was installed the maps application, I installed 3 maps apps and wanted to know which one is better, after trying the 3 maps apps, I was disappointed with those apps because it's some of lag and doesn't have the guidance just like the blackberry maps, actually I was searching for Google maps like in my previous blackberry, blackberry bold 9700 that was very useful, but that application are gone.
    After removing from the home screen, then I deleted it also at the blackberry application world, but then I opened the blackberry maps, after agree the disclaimer it's goes white screen, the maps are not revealed, just the blue dot that shows my location are revealed even I waited for 30 minutes and my signal are full bar. Can anyone help me?

2. Next is about the memory of the phone, what I learned from my previous blackberry bold 9700 is when we're installing the apps it will be drain the memory of the phone, which I mean is if we installed many apps on the phone, it will be lag until I restart the phone to refresh the memory, is that gonna happen too if I installed too many apps on my Q10? Because it's not only installing the apps but upgrade the apps is also drain the internal memory. Why blackberry didn't make the downloaded apps to be saved in the mmc, even now we can use the class 10 mmc to make the process of mmc faster and not drain the internal memory, isn't that effective way?

3. Third, there is something on my mind that I have a little disappointed about blackberry, why they didn't make this blackberry Q10 with the great specifications like the other competitors (example : quadcore brain, etc), I was disappointed when heard about that blackberry want to launch a S10 or something that using the specifications like other competitors, is that too late for the launch, when blackberry most precious phone now is Z10/Q10 with it's specifications are below the other competitors?

That's all, hope anyone will help about my problems. Thanks. Sorry for the bad English.
    08-17-13 02:38 AM
    1. I don't know about maps apps, sorry.
    2. I haven't noticed any slowdown. I never have to restart my phone, unlike all my android devices that need to be restarted all the time.
    3. Higher specifications use more battery. Quad core is useless in a mobile device, my nexus 7 is a snail compared to my q10. Efficient dual cores give great performance and great battery life. I'd wait another generation or two before moving to quad.

Posted via Q10
    08-17-13 04:12 AM
    Thanks redmonke255 for the help.
    2. How many memory do u use untill now and it's still not slow down?
    3. I think there's some consequences compare to the high specifications, of course it consume the battery, but if you take a look on the performance it much more greater than dualcore, example : Samsung Galaxy S4. As a battery life, we can use bigger mAH battery to maintain the specifications. Why do you think that quadcore are useless for smartphone?

Can anyone help me for the maps problem?
    Because it's very important apps for guide in the road, thanks.
    08-17-13 11:35 AM
    I have 4gb left on the internal storage. I have a few apps I've downloaded but I mainly just use the built in stuff like bbm, facebook, and twitter.

I think really high spec phones are dumb because they're useless. What's the point of all that power? Playing terrible games? Android has awful games to begin with, bb10 has even worse. If I want games I have a pc and xbox. Now you're just left with a huge battery and something sucking it all up, that's what makes the q10 so nice. It has a huge battery and just sips away at it. I can have pretty heavy browsing from 7am until midnight.

Posted via Q10
    08-17-13 12:20 PM
    Apa kabar Alvin.
    #1 Can't help you here - the maps app works fine for me. If you are in Indo though, I am not sure of what the map situation is there. I did pit it against my sister's phone (Android HTC using VZ Navigator). She didn't want me using it too long, because it chewed through the battery so fast. The speaker quality on hers was also awful. Mine was audible from the back seat, and I still had plenty of battery left for the rest of the day (after 1 hr use). This is surely not a scientific comparison, but it illustrates some general strengths of the phone (battery, as others have mentioned, and speaker).

#2 - I have about 75 apps installed on the phone, and it hasn't slowed at all (I have 8.8G free). There is plenty of built in memory for apps. However, one exception I can think of is offline GPS nav apps - these will consume a large amount of memory, but some of them can use the SD card. Generally speaking, install apps to internal memory, and put data/music/etc on the SD card. So frankly, I don't see a big need for installing apps to SD, with some minor exceptions.

#3 The only bit of hardware I am a little disappointed in is the screen. The phone's performance is good - it even works well as a phone (imagine that!), and the speaker is the best I have heard on a phone. The phone is well spec'd for what it needs to do. I agree with redmonke255, and I think the emphasis on specs (for the average user) is there so that the manufacturers can keep selling new phones.

The phone has some warts in terms of missing features, but it is more stable than the old OS 5/6/7 models. And I like the design of the UI. The thing that you may miss is apps, but there are enough to keep me happy. Also, you won't be able to spend infinite time customizing your homescreen - OS10 is not that customizable yet.

Bob
    08-17-13 04:08 PM
    1. Haven't experienced the maps issue, so cannot rightly answer that question.

2. I just migrated myself from a 9700. My model had 256 MB of onboard memory. The Q10 has 16 GB. Granted the size of the applications have grown, but this is still a substantial amount more memory in comparison. I've never once seen it 'hourglass' (as I call it). It has arbitrarily rebooted once. I don't know if it was the one and a half movies I had streamed prior, or what.

3. Hardware is all fine and good, but you have to have software, too. I'd like to think BlackBerry was trying to strike a balance. Keep in mind this is coming from someone who thinks most 'apps' can be found via the BlackBerry Browser.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-13 12:57 AM
    I sympathise with you over maps. I have loaded several map apps and I'm still chasing to find one which works reliably. By that I mean reasonably quickly. I am hoping there is some map geek out there who has come to a conclusion. I live in UK. Funnily enough they seemed to work better when I was in Juba in South Sudan a few weeks ago!

Posted via CB10
    08-18-13 03:35 AM