Recently reconverted to the Q10. Use it a lot for podcasts and calls through headphones, but over the last month, my headphones seem to disconnect randomly.

Steps I tried:

- different headphones
    - clean out w/ can of air
    - replace jack with a part from a backup gutted q10 (previously known to be working)

Same results each time. Only step I haven't taken is a clean reinstall but I'm loathe to try that. Seems like a hardware issue, in any case.

Any suggestions? I think I read somewhere that 3.5 mm headphones actually have slightly different thicknesses depending on the type you use. Would really prefer to stick w/ hard wired headphones and not go with bluetooth.

TIA for any help.
    04-04-19 09:26 AM
    Sounds like you have been fairly thorough with troubleshooting. What OS are you currently on? About the only thing left to try is updating the OS if needed. It may be a hardware issue but you have covered most of that as well. You could use a Blitz file if you want to update the OS without removing your other data etc., to rule out a firmware problem.
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    04-04-19 09:44 AM
    Using compressed air only serves to blow any dirt further into the device.

Q10 Powered
    04-05-19 05:19 AM
    Don't think I agree with that, Halifax. Compressed air gets things moving and there's still an opening through which the dirt/ dust can pass. Plus, I did this whilst holding the phone upside down. Moreover I put in a jack from another phone and have the same symptoms.

Thanks for your reply, Brookie. I'm on 10.3.3.3216.
    04-05-19 09:40 AM
    Ran the Virtual Expert for kicks. All seems fine. Will see if I can get my hands on another headset to test it out. Meanwhile, any other suggestions are welcomed to help secure the connection (open to Macguyvering/Lifehacking.)
    04-05-19 09:43 AM
    Thanks for your reply, Brookie. I'm on 10.3.3.3216.
    Then I think you have done just about all you can do. I doubt whether a clean install will help. The only other thing I can suggest is to take a needle or paper clip and try to clean the bottom of the jack. You have probably already done this but have only mentioned the compressed air. It is possible (but not likely, I admit) that the air has not removed a foreign object in there.
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    04-05-19 10:14 AM
    Then I think you have done just about all you can do. I doubt whether a clean install will help. The only other thing I can suggest is to take a needle or paper clip and try to clean the bottom of the jack. You have probably already done this but have only mentioned the compressed air. It is possible (but not likely, I admit) that the air has not removed a foreign object in there.
    I think you're right. I'll get the scalpel out one last time...
    04-05-19 10:33 AM