everybody including myself so far has also forgotten to mention their impressions or expectations regarding how blackberry's app selection is also going to affect their sales, both at launch and in the long run. i'm not sure but i thought i saw in the tech news the other day about google making some major gains or possibly passing or coming close to passing apple's total number of apps. google and apple are both furiously determined to maintain their dominant positions but blackberry seriously seems to not have that same kind of passion to make themselves truly appealing in any way. an incomparably smaller app selection with higher prices is another major turnoff not included among the many above-mentioned others. maybe blackberry simply has too many flaws or too flawed of a business model/strategy to be successful.?
    What are you all's thoughts on this??
    01-31-13 12:33 AM
    No, I don't think so after seeing how well it works on the Q10 - looking forward to playing with it.
    01-31-13 03:59 PM
    Hey there is a trackpad on my 9900. Huh. Why? There a HUGE laptop size trackpad 1mm above it.

However the little trackpad works good with my work gloves.
    02-01-13 11:39 AM
    Hey there is a trackpad on my 9900. Huh. Why? There a HUGE laptop size trackpad 1mm above it.

However the little trackpad works good with my work gloves.

1) the trackpad is a ton more accurate for text selection
    2) as you said, the trackpad works with gloves
    3) on a bigger phone (like my Torch 9800 for example) there's a lot less reaching across the screen with my thumb. With the screen extended, I can reach any icon or feature using the trackpad by moving my thumb less than 1/2 inch.
    LudwigvonKast likes this.
    02-01-13 11:45 AM
    the lack of a trackpad has made me which over to the Z10, also because i cannot wait any longer
    02-02-13 08:05 PM
    Keyboard + no Trackpad = deal breaker.

I find full touchscreen phones totally obnoxious and a pain to use. The Q10 is great hardware wise but the lack of a trackpad is going to make it a real pain for accurate navigation and getting work done.
    02-02-13 08:54 PM
    The lack of a track pad was the deciding factor to go ahead and upgrade to a S3. Really miss my blackberry though. I'll just have to play with the Q10 when it is released to see if I want to switch back. Did I say I really miss my blackberry?
    02-03-13 07:50 AM
    The lack of a track pad was the deciding factor to go ahead and upgrade to a S3. Really miss my blackberry though. I'll just have to play with the Q10 when it is released to see if I want to switch back. Did I say I really miss my blackberry?
    Translation: BB dropped the trackpad, so I went ahead and dropped my trackpad equipped phone for an S3 - which happens to have no trackpad.
    Bbnivende and smartbuddy like this.
    02-03-13 12:31 PM
    I think I'm just going to have to get used to it. It's not like there's any other phone people can switch to so they can have a trackpad (of my knowledge). And look at the bright side... The trackpad/trackball have always been notorious for breaking. My Bold 9900 had to be replaced because it would constantly scroll up in sunlight, rendering everything useless.
    02-03-13 05:55 PM
    Shame to lose the trackpad especially for brick breaker. However when typing that line fills with predictive words-swings and round abouts. The Q10 has picked up front/rear facing cameras with auto focus. Hope it gets an FM radio which specs havent confirmed.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    02-03-13 07:23 PM
    I will really need to try this thing out when it's finally available in the united states. I'm wishing they hadn't eliminated the track pad and buttons as I thought they went hand in hand with the physical keyboard, but I will give it a look before immediately dismissing it.
    anon(5478175) likes this.
    02-03-13 08:17 PM
    If touch screen could be so good as the keyboard+trackpad are, there would be notebooks and desktops with touch keyboards and no mouse. But, until now, the new laps and desktops are using real keyboards and a point device (mouse), so its obviously that the old BBs with keyboard and trackpad are better for hard works (multiple text manipulation). Touch devices are just for "seeing things" and less typing...
    07-19-13 08:57 PM
    ok my smartphone history has been a treo755, treo800 blackberry 8330,9630,9650 and now 9900. the one thing they all have in common is they all have had amazing keyboards (except the 800w).

now with that said you can see i am a keyboard die hard like the rest of you. after i saw the leaked video of the N series with the keyboard i was a bit excited until i looked a little harder. there is no trackpad and i think that is a deal breaker for me.

think about how much it is a pain to click thing on even a playbook, a 7 inch screen. now downsize that to a 4.3 inch screen, it gets harder to point and click on links and small wording etc. now go even smaller.

i feel it would be like trying to surf the web on a normal computer without a mouse.

given my history i think the lack of the trackpad will hinder me to try my 1st ever all touch personal phone.

how do you guys and girls feel about it?
    I'm in complete agreement with you...and on the verge of selling my Q10 and buying a new 9900.
    07-19-13 11:47 PM
    I'm in complete agreement with you...and on the verge of selling my Q10 and buying a new 9900.
    Just received a notification about this reply and I have to say since I wrote that post I have had issues with the 9900. I bought a iPhone 4S from a buddy at work for dirt cheap and have been using it for the past few weeks. So far so ok lol. Still getting adapted to the virtual keyboard but man am I making it work. Lol

Sent from my Gameboy Color
    07-19-13 11:50 PM
    I'm a heavy user. I mean : a lot of text manipulation , copy, paste, spreadsheet editing, email. I've tried Iphone and S3 before and i gave up. Of course i can do everything i want on this devices, but is just not good enought. They are beautiful, elegant and so good devices for viewing, you slip your thumb to many screens , there are so many apps but, when you try to type a lot of text, yes it is possible, but is not so confortable as when you have a real keyboard and a trackpad. It can be as fast as the real keyboard after some training but it will never be as confortable as the real keyboard are ( would you ever buy a notebook with a touch keyboard instead a real one ?). Of course i'm talking about heavy users like me. Most will prefer to use notebook or desktop for heavy work, and will use the phone just for posting or answer small emails, and in this case the touchscreen is more useful than a halfscreen plus a keyboard.....So, to my heavy work, i'm still with the Bold 9780, a very handy device, where i can type and grip it with only one hand, where the battery last for two days and i can have my work (email, spreadsheet, and calendar) done before i get home.
    07-20-13 07:25 AM
    I'm a heavy user. I mean : a lot of text manipulation , copy, paste, spreadsheet editing, email. I've tried Iphone and S3 before and i gave up. Of course i can do everything i want on this devices, but is just not good enought. They are beautiful, elegant and so good devices for viewing, you slip your thumb to many screens , there are so many apps but, when you try to type a lot of text, yes it is possible, but is not so confortable as when you have a real keyboard and a trackpad. It can be as fast as the real keyboard after some training but it will never be as confortable as the real keyboard are ( would you ever buy a notebook with a touch keyboard instead a real one ?). Of course i'm talking about heavy users like me. Most will prefer to use notebook or desktop for heavy work, and will use the phone just for posting or answer small emails, and in this case the touchscreen is more useful than a halfscreen plus a keyboard.....So, to my heavy work, i'm still with the Bold 9780, a very handy device, where i can type and grip it with only one hand, where the battery last for two days and i can have my work (email, spreadsheet, and calendar) done before i get home.
    I don't mind typing a lot on the iPhone. I have Siri do most of my typing for me to be honest. Lol

07-22-13 05:11 PM
    Is there any reason they couldn't implement an on-screen trackpad that pops up when you're selecting text? Surely it would be technically possible.
    07-23-13 06:32 AM
    Is there any reason they couldn't implement an on-screen trackpad that pops up when you're selecting text? Surely it would be technically possible.
    Sure but with swype and gestures it's redundant! Are you meaning a feature to disable swype and gestures to trackpad mode!?

Posted via CB10
    07-23-13 12:27 PM
    Sure but with swype and gestures it's redundant! Are you meaning a feature to disable swype and gestures to trackpad mode!?

Posted via CB10
    I also agree. That would be redundant. Hardware trackpad or no trackpad. A virtual one would be kinda weird.

07-29-13 12:45 AM
    A trackpad would only be redundant if another input device (ie the touchscreen) offered the same functionality and precision. It doesn't. Therefore a trackpad isn't redundant.
    07-29-13 01:03 AM
    A trackpad would only be redundant if another input device (ie the touchscreen) offered the same functionality and precision. It doesn't. Therefore a trackpad isn't redundant.
    So on a tiny screen take up more space for a virtual trackpad that does the same as dragging your finger?

To me that sounds pretty much like the same problem as just the touchscreen.

07-29-13 08:25 AM
    So on a tiny screen take up more space for a virtual trackpad that does the same as dragging your finger?
    If the on-screen text selections functioned as accurately as the trackpad then the trackpad would be redundant. So if there's no place to put the trackpad on-screen, then perhaps fixing the text selection would be the next logical step.
    07-29-13 10:20 AM
    If the on-screen text selections functioned as accurately as the trackpad then the trackpad would be redundant. So if there's no place to put the trackpad on-screen, then perhaps fixing the text selection would be the next logical step.
    How would you prefer the text selection. I use an iPhone and I don't really have a hard time with it. I've never tried it on a bb10 device but I would imagine it works the same as the androids and iPhones ?

07-29-13 01:05 PM
    How would you prefer the text selection. I use an iPhone and I don't really have a hard time with it. I've never tried it on a bb10 device but I would imagine it works the same as the androids and iPhones ?
    Take a look at my video in this post here: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ml#post8885074
    07-29-13 01:29 PM
    Not one bit! Having owned from 8520 to Z10 nothing feels the same now that I have ny Q10, this thing is a dream come true, nice big screen iconic keyboard. Excellence insues

Posted via CB10
    07-30-13 03:48 AM
80 1234