ok my smartphone history has been a treo755, treo800 blackberry 8330,9630,9650 and now 9900. the one thing they all have in common is they all have had amazing keyboards (except the 800w).

now with that said you can see i am a keyboard die hard like the rest of you. after i saw the leaked video of the N series with the keyboard i was a bit excited until i looked a little harder. there is no trackpad and i think that is a deal breaker for me.

think about how much it is a pain to click thing on even a playbook, a 7 inch screen. now downsize that to a 4.3 inch screen, it gets harder to point and click on links and small wording etc. now go even smaller.

i feel it would be like trying to surf the web on a normal computer without a mouse.

given my history i think the lack of the trackpad will hinder me to try my 1st ever all touch personal phone.

how do you guys and girls feel about it?
    LudwigvonKast likes this.
    12-11-12 09:50 AM
    It's a wait and see for me. The no trackpad navigation is workable, iOS handles it acceptably, and have heard WebOS and of a Android 3rd party app that work well (I haven't used these though). BlackBerry seems to be innovating again, so I'm eager to see what they come up with.

eve6er69; What are you flying?
    12-11-12 11:41 AM
    I'm worried about the lack of a trackpad too. I chose a BlackBerry (9650) over Android/iPhone specifically because it had a trackpad (and keyboard). It just makes so much sense on a small phone to be able to scroll through selections and highlight them first before commiting with a click. I realize all the "cool kids" think it's archaic and outdated, but for me it's just so much easier than trying to click a tiny link hidden behind my thumb.

I love the other features of BB10, especially the always-on Messages app, but I'm considering moving to a 9930 instead of a BB10. I realize RIM had to make the BB10 phones physically more like Androids and iPhones in order to sell them to the masses, but in doing so they also took away much of what made them superior for me.
    12-11-12 11:52 AM
    Nope!
    The lack of a keyboard is a "must not", the rest it's simply something I have to get used to.
    12-11-12 01:24 PM
    I love the other features of BB10, especially the always-on Messages app, but I'm considering moving to a 9930 instead of a BB10.
    You can set up your 9650 or a 9930 so all emails, texts, ect go to your native messages app and have one of your convenience keys set to open messages. Messages is already "always on" in current BB's, so if you're doing something on the phone, and the red light blinks, hit the convenience key (set to messages), and see what it is, hit the back button when your done and get right back to what you were doing. Not as easy as BB10 will be, but still nice.
    12-11-12 02:23 PM
    Stop this. There's a million threads about the lack of trackpad already. So many I've got bored with linking to them. In fact there was one such thread 10 down from the top of this forum.
    12-11-12 02:27 PM
    You can set up your 9650 or a 9930 so all emails, texts, ect go to your native messages app and have one of your convenience keys set to open messages. Messages is already "always on" in current BB's, so if you're doing something on the phone, and the red light blinks, hit the convenience key (set to messages), and see what it is, hit the back button when your done and get right back to what you were doing. Not as easy as BB10 will be, but still nice.
    Thank you, yes exactly what I've done. In the perfect world, a long-press of the ESCAPE key would open Messages, as that's less awkward than reaching for a side key. But still, I agree the key idea is pretty cool

The only catch is that I've found if you open something like a BBM from within Messages, your Message app is kinda "stuck" in BBM until you close it. Example, if I open a BBM from Messages and an email comes in.... I can't view the email in Messages unless I first back out of BBM (which takes me back to the Messages list), then open the email. I can't just go the the Task Manager and open Messages, as that just brings up BBM, as if they're linked as one app.
    12-11-12 02:37 PM
    Thank you, yes exactly what I've done. In the perfect world, a long-press of the ESCAPE key would open Messages, as that's less awkward than reaching for a side key. But still, I agree the key idea is pretty cool

The only catch is that I've found if you open something like a BBM from within Messages, your Message app is kinda "stuck" in BBM until you close it. Example, if I open a BBM from Messages and an email comes in.... I can't view the email in Messages unless I first back out of BBM (which takes me back to the Messages list), then open the email. I can't just go the the Task Manager and open Messages, as that just brings up BBM, as if they're linked as one app.
    Yeah, I have a few instances that the "convenience key to messages" set-up requites more fiddling than what I quoted, BBM being one, but that's why there's BB10
    12-11-12 03:31 PM
    Yes. i'm really discouraged by not having a trackpad. my hands can get really dirty at while at work or in my shop and trying to answer a call or find out find out info over google without a trackpad is really a negative IMO.

with my 9900 i use the track pad 99% more then i do the touch screen unless its to scroll a website or click a button off to the side
    12-11-12 04:01 PM
    No, but I will be going from a 9900 to L series I think. We shall see come Q1
    12-11-12 04:46 PM
    If none of the keyboard phones have a track pad I will definitely be going for the touch
    12-11-12 05:20 PM
    ok my smartphone history has been a treo755, treo800 blackberry 8330,9630,9650 and now 9900. the one thing they all have in common is they all have had amazing keyboards (except the 800w).

now with that said you can see i am a keyboard die hard like the rest of you. after i saw the leaked video of the N series with the keyboard i was a bit excited until i looked a little harder. there is no trackpad and i think that is a deal breaker for me.

think about how much it is a pain to click thing on even a playbook, a 7 inch screen. now downsize that to a 4.3 inch screen, it gets harder to point and click on links and small wording etc. now go even smaller.

i feel it would be like trying to surf the web on a normal computer without a mouse.

given my history i think the lack of the trackpad will hinder me to try my 1st ever all touch personal phone.

Why even have an N series if the trackpad is missing? This makes the physical keyboard similar to the L series virtual one. May as well get the L and enjoy the larger screen. I really believe the N series keyboard will be disliked....IMO...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    ritesh likes this.
    12-11-12 07:50 PM
    Stop this. There's a million threads about the lack of trackpad already. So many I've got bored with linking to them. In fact there was one such thread 10 down from the top of this forum.
    Stop linking to them!!!!

12-11-12 07:57 PM
    I'm waiting for a slider with trackpad.
    12-11-12 08:33 PM
    I'm waiting for a slider with trackpad.
    keep waiting its not happening....

and i'll miss track pad to view browser pages where it is not optimized for mobile (ie full sites with tiny links) but i'll live. Ascetically trackpads are ugly
    12-11-12 08:40 PM
    I'll keep waiting then. My 9800 is just fine.

It will be interesting to see how they handle text selection without a trackpad. If it's anything like the PlayBook and the blue arrows, it will be a disaster. I don't like the iPhone "tap to zoom, then select text" crap either.

The trackpad offers precise cursor positioning. BlackBerry phones are used heavily for email and written communication. Without the trackpad it's fiddly as **** trying to reposition the cursor to add words in the middle of a sentece, etc...
    12-11-12 08:58 PM
    Stop linking to them!!!!

Why stop linking to them? It is good practice to link to an already existing thread on a topic to stop the forum becoming cluttered, which I have been doing for this, but for some reason trackpad threads are immune to being shut down despite it already being discussed to death in loads of other threads. No one says anything new or interesting either. Just their personal preference.
    12-12-12 11:37 AM
    Why even have an N series if the trackpad is missing? This makes the physical keyboard similar to the L series virtual one. May as well get the L and enjoy the larger screen. I really believe the N series keyboard will be disliked....IMO...

Exactly what I am thinking. Just for the alphabet keys, I would rather use the Full touch and enjoy the screen estate on a full touch.
    My wife will be getting the L series,since her 9780 is barely usable. I will wait till Mid 2013 and see what options I have. Till then, I will enjoy my PB on OS10 paired with the 9900.
    12-13-12 12:08 AM
    Why stop linking to them? It is good practice to link to an already existing thread on a topic to stop the forum becoming cluttered, which I have been doing for this, but for some reason trackpad threads are immune to being shut down despite it already being discussed to death in loads of other threads. No one says anything new or interesting either. Just their personal preference.
    You 2 need to hug it out

Sent from my game boy color
    12-14-12 01:08 PM
    keep waiting its not happening....

and i'll miss track pad to view browser pages where it is not optimized for mobile (ie full sites with tiny links) but i'll live. Ascetically trackpads are ugly
    Remember the new bb10 phone will have a "reader" section. So even on a full site it turns it into being legible on a smaller screen.

12-14-12 01:09 PM
    I'll keep waiting then. My 9800 is just fine.

It will be interesting to see how they handle text selection without a trackpad. If it's anything like the PlayBook and the blue arrows, it will be a disaster. I don't like the iPhone "tap to zoom, then select text" crap either.

The trackpad offers precise cursor positioning. BlackBerry phones are used heavily for email and written communication. Without the trackpad it's fiddly as **** trying to reposition the cursor to add words in the middle of a sentece, etc...
    From what I hear a lot (text wise) will be changed from the playbook to the bb10 phones. Even the crappy text select is changed.

12-14-12 01:11 PM

I personally have out of 55 bbm friends about 3/4 of them are not getting a touchscreen. I agree with your statement and man typing on this keyboard is awesome but I feel I could live without it. Some don't feel the same way. Having the 2 options puts rim in a good spot.

Every android phone that attempts to put a keyboard on a phone fails. Like the motorola admiral.

12-14-12 01:13 PM
    You 2 need to hug it out

Perhaps I'm getting overly frustrated but it's silly that people don't look for pre-existing topics rather than starting new ones regardless of the topic.
    12-14-12 03:20 PM
    i would normally have caught it but for some reason i did not. i probably started the thread on my phone rather than the computer. either way no need to get your panties in a bunch
    12-14-12 05:46 PM

No need for the track pad. I use the 9900 and never use it. The combination keyboard and touch screem works out best. Its not hard to touch an icon or link unless you have enormous fingers! Can't wait for the N series!
    12-15-12 10:50 AM
80 123 ...