How the **** did the Q10 ship?

"I swear I could train chimpanzees to write better code than the Q10 team. They took a perfectly robust operating system (QNX), layered junk on top of it to break it."

I don't think the chimps would need any training. This is textbook: 'how to ruin a company. Thanks Blackberry for turning the Q10 into such a terrible product.

It's not like they didn't have a good product as a foundation in the Bold. It was just too robust for it's hardware, so it broke down...but, you'd think 2+ years later, they could have improved the OS and the hardware to create a next generation device which would function smoother/better, while also improving browsing speed, battery life, and camera. And voila, you'd have a killer device.
    09-05-13 08:03 AM
    The problems that guy is having seems to be bug related, rather than anything software design/capability related...

And it really is too bad that he's experiencing that. But as we all know, all software is prone to bugs. He just seems to have an extreme case and is vocal about it.

Now if he'd intelligently critiqued the architecture of the software, well then I might have bothered to do more than skim his rant. Moving on now...

Posted via CB10
    thevizer likes this.
    09-05-13 08:09 AM
    How the **** did the Q10 ship?

"I swear I could train chimpanzees to write better code than the Q10 team. They took a perfectly robust operating system (QNX), layered junk on top of it to break it."

I don't think the chimps would need any training. This is textbook: 'how to ruin a company. Thanks Blackberry for turning the Q10 into such a terrible product.

It's not like they didn't have a good product as a foundation in the Bold. It was just too robust for it's hardware, so it broke down...but, you'd think 2+ years later, they could have improved the OS and the hardware to create a next generation device which would function smoother/better, while also improving browsing speed, battery life, and camera. And voila, you'd have a killer device.
    By no means the Q10 is a "terrible product". Actuall it is a very good one.
    On your statements:
    "...which would function smoother/better...": operations of a BB10 device is one of the smoothest you can get. Some say it's the best OS out there.
    "...while also improving browsing speed...": BB10 browser is speedier or at least on par with everything that's out there. It's definitely faster & better than the BBOS browsers.
    "...improving...battery life...": the Q10's battery lasts longer than most of the contemporary smartphones.
    "...improving...camera...": the Q10's camera is in a completely different league than the 9900's.

So what is your point?
    09-05-13 08:29 AM
    I'm honestly having trouble seeing how the Q10 is a "bad" product in any way. I get that it's not BBOS, and that not all legacy features have been implemented, but in some cases there really are good reasons.

The UI has a great navigation model, and the OS is the model of stability (I had to do two or three battery-pulls a week on my 9900; I haven't done one on my Q10 yet).

So, no, I don't get it.

From the awesome PHYSICAL keyboard of my Q10
    09-05-13 08:40 AM
    The problems that guy is having seems to be bug related, rather than anything software design/capability related...

And it really is too bad that he's experiencing that. But as we all know, all software is prone to bugs. He just seems to have an extreme case and is vocal about it.

Now if he'd intelligently critiqued the architecture of the software, well then I might have bothered to do more than skim his rant. Moving on now...

Posted via CB10
    It's the software design. It's stupid, backwards much worse. The had such a great starting point, launching pad with the 9900. All they had to do was evolve some of the features and give it better/faster hardware. Instead they went backwards and screwed up and released a ******* structurally flawed device.
    09-05-13 08:50 AM
    It's the software design. It's stupid, backwards much worse. The had such a great starting point, launching pad with the 9900. All they had to do was evolve some of the features and give it better/faster hardware. Instead they went backwards and screwed up and released a ******* structurally flawed device.
    I love the software.

Posted via CB10
    09-05-13 08:55 AM
    I'm honestly having trouble seeing how the Q10 is a "bad" product in any way. I get that it's not BBOS, and that not all legacy features have been implemented, but in some cases there really are good reasons. The UI has a great navigation model, and the OS is the model of stability (I had to do two or three battery-pulls a week on my 9900; I haven't done one on my Q10 yet). So, no, I don't get it.
    I have yet to see one legacy feature of the 9900 series that has been dropped that makes this device better and SO MANY critical legacy features are gone...poof, as if the company that invented and implemented them didn't even know they existed.

As for the improvements you are referring to: yes, those are the basic improvements that I acknowledge have occurred and I wish they made to a next generation 9900: just take the 9900 and give me a faster O/S (this OS is actually slower to respond to many function, btw), faster browser, better camera, and longer batter life. I acknowledge that they delivered on those things (except I don't agree with longer battery life...also., slower rebooting), but they should have done them w/o reinventing the wheel and losing so many good/vital functions and messing so many things up. In the process, we also lost our trackpad, our shortcuts, and many other key features. We have a worse device with better camera and faster browsing. More steps backwards than forwards...and this is after 2 years of R&D.
    09-05-13 09:10 AM
    I love the software.
    Enough said. Too bad you're in the vast minority. I guess you like less functionality and slower functionality than quicker. How you can defend such corporate incompetence is beyond me. So much equity value destroyed. Such a good product destroyed.

And, I forgot to mention one of the worst things: this device is a data hog, costing me hundreds and hundreds of more dollars to operate without delivering anything better. They should be paying me, but we have no recourse and just have to take it and get screwed.
    09-05-13 09:17 AM
    Platform migration is tricky. The original BBOS just couldn't scale.

The new platform is decent, but it doesn't implement everything from the old one. In some cases, it's by design. The trackpad is a good example; I get that a long-time user is going to struggle with the new navigation model, but eliminating those physical controls makes for a less complex device with fewer mechanical parts to fail.

In other cases, it just isn't reasonable to look at a platform that has been developed for years and expect every feature to be implemented immediately.

If BBOS fits your needs better than BB10, then why would you rush to migrate?

From the awesome PHYSICAL keyboard of my Q10
    Mecca EL likes this.
    09-05-13 12:10 PM
    Platform migration is tricky. The original BBOS just couldn't scale.
    It worked fine, it just needed a more powerful physical device, with more processing power and more speed, which they got.

The new platform is decent, but it doesn't implement everything from the old one. In some cases, it's by design. The trackpad is a good example; I get that a long-time user is going to struggle with the new navigation model, but eliminating those physical controls makes for a less complex device with fewer mechanical parts to fail.
    The functionality of the 9900 was well thought out and was improvement upon the previous Bold, and had years of user input. I don't struggle with the navigation -- it's just that the trackpad, which never broke down for me, is more precise than my fat finger and preferable for ma and for many of us. Both worked and both should have been retained so people had a choice. I am typing on Windows 8 with a touchscreen laptop. Sometimes I touch and sometimes use my mouse. Microsoft and Dell get it (Microsoft is even bringing back the old Start button). The idiots at Blackberry clearly missed the boat and lost their company in the process. Careless and reckless, acting out of desperation to try to go after the iPhone market when it's not their market, and now they've lost their most loyal customers. I will never buy a Blackberry again (I've probably had 10 or more).

In other cases, it just isn't reasonable to look at a platform that has been developed for years and expect every feature to be implemented immediately.
    Of course it's reasonable to expect that a new generation device would retain the best features of the prior generation device whole providing superior performance and functionality. That's all we wanted. Tivo has gone from 1 to 2 to now up to 6 simultaneous recordings and added many other features to their new boxes, while keeping all of the pre-existing functionality. This isn't rocket science.

[/QUOTE] If BBOS fits your needs better than BB10, then why would you rush to migrate?[/QUOTE]

Because the hardware wasn't sufficient for the software and didn't have enough memory, so it got stuck/bogged down if you had a lot of contacts and with certain functions/operations. You would have thought they fix those problems with a new device that's much faster and more powerful. And, of course, the dingbats turned this device in a a data hog, so now it costs substantially more to operate to do the same basic emailing and browsing (I'm not talking about data using for streaming media and these fancy apps that most of us rarely use or care about.) It's so irresponsible and idiotic.
    09-05-13 01:13 PM
    SoxFan, personal preference is a funny thing - we all tend to assume everyone thinks the way we do. I can't imagine anyone preferring bbos to bb10, while you clearly feel the opposite.

Posted via CB10
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    09-05-13 01:35 PM
    SoxFan, personal preference is a funny thing - we all tend to assume everyone thinks the way we do. I can't imagine anyone preferring bbos to bb10, while you clearly feel the opposite.
    Well, you are clearly in the minority, Personally, I don't care what the labels are. All I want is a device like the Bold that is works seamlessly and is a little faster and better. That would be a Bold with a trackpad with all the pre-existing functionality and:

1) Faster browsing;
    2) Better camera; and
    3) Longer battery life.

They should have just taken the 9900 and fixed the bugs to take advantage of the more powerful hardware that now exists. I don't need swipes, a better screen (although that comes with newer hardware), data gouging systems, and whatever other bells and whistles have crept in here in lieu of the core functionality that made Blackberry such a good email device. Now, all my emails get erased from my server, my contacts are all messed up and don't appear, it takes longer and many steps to do some of the same old functions, while others simply aren't doable, and I'm left with a fundamentally flawed device.
    09-05-13 01:55 PM
    And I'm telling you, BBOS couldn't scale. It couldn't run on multiple cores, and there was a limit on how much memory it could address. You could liken it to the old DOS-based Windows. It was relatively unstable and insecure compared to a *nix based OS.

Under BlackBerry's ORIGINAL plan, BBOS would have been emulated under QNX. Under that plan, the PlayBook would have been completely compatible with BBOS BlackBerrys, because it would have been able to run its apps in a runtime similar to the Android one. It also would have supported all legacy features.

The trouble was, they couldn't get it to work. That's why the PlayBook was late to market, and it's the BIG reason why BB10 took an extra year. In the end, instead of building maybe 20% of a new UI, they had to scramble to build 100% of one. There just wasn't enough time to include every single legacy feature.
    kupfernigk and mathking606 like this.
    09-05-13 02:08 PM
    Well, you are clearly in the minority,
    <snip>
    This is what I meant about assuming one's view is the majority view. Fact is, we have no data to show that bbos is preferred to bb10 or vice versa. We can't use poor sales of bb10 as an indicator since there are too many confounding factors (concerns about company's longevity, preference for android and iPhone, poor marketing, etc.).

Posted via CB10
    09-05-13 02:17 PM
    Enough said. Too bad you're in the vast minority. I guess you like less functionality and slower functionality than quicker. How you can defend such corporate incompetence is beyond me. So much equity value destroyed. Such a good product destroyed.

And, I forgot to mention one of the worst things: this device is a data hog, costing me hundreds and hundreds of more dollars to operate without delivering anything better. They should be paying me, but we have no recourse and just have to take it and get screwed.
    That seems pretty dramatic and inaccurate from my user experience. As long as you're getting mad at companies you might throw some of that rage at your carrier...hundreds more in data sounds like they might be fleecing you.
    09-05-13 02:23 PM
    Can I be bothered? No, walk away quickly!

That's one less q10 rant on here from me

Posted via CB10
    09-05-13 02:26 PM