It's a question that I posted on quora and I think it would be a great idea to ask it there too!

I actually have a HTC amaze 4g who works with Android Os. I've been using this phone for 2 years so far. So there's 1 year left to my contract with 1go Internet.

So I have experienced a lot android, but I would like some changes. I got to agree that I am really pleased into android since I am a great fans of google apps and android integrate really well those apps.

My first phone was a Samsung that looked like a blackberry bold with a physical keyboard. I miss that a little bit since I always thought that it was the best for texting.

I recently looked at the new BlackBerry Q10. It interess me a lot since it integrate the new bb os 10 who seems to be quite good. I like the battery who seems to be quite good comparing to my actual HTC who hardly makes my entire days. Also BBM seems interesting but I don't have any friends who owns a blackberry so it would be a bit useless.

Now about the utilities of phone, I have to admit that the android apps market is very huge but I don't really use it. I am not a phone's game player and I actually use my phone only for texting, check out my social networks, browsing the Internet. I also got a couple of useful apps like the Google's apps and few others like ebay, TED, Flickr, etc. So I don't really use android to his full capacity. Also android allows you to customize your phone but seriously I had the same home screen and customization layout (widgets) for a year...

Also, I'm starting the university in administration and I like the "professional/business" aspects of the blackberry.

Thanks for helping me... Consider that it would cost me like 250$ if I do the switch in a couple of months.
    04-18-13 11:02 AM
    yea same here... im also considering switching to Q10 from my Lumia 920.
    also no friends/contacts with BBM, they all have iphone or galaxy -_-'
    04-18-13 11:08 AM
    don't do the switch now i highly suggest you don't i have a BB 9900 and i'd never use it as a primary phone compared to my nexus 4, if the BB q10 " BB 10 OS " got the main apps that basilcy used and STABLE and working fine with no issues and lags and the apps working in its full capablity then i for myself might leave android if not android will still be my main phone, I want to get the Q10 but what is stop me is the " Support " the OS7 is not good for me the apps are not stable and the support is dead im not bashing on BB 9900 OS7 but its the truth a device with no stable apps or even just having the main IM apps with all its capabilities is not a good start for me .

just wait a bit don't do the switch " I got 0 friends who use BB phones " all android or iPhone
    Mathieu Thibault likes this.
    04-18-13 11:19 AM
    I would say the same as the previous user. Don't leave your current phone till you at least finish your contract or till you know that there are others like you out there that will be going to the q10.
    My wife and I plan on switching and use BBM to communicate. So for us it works. Also the calendar function keeps us in the loop on appointments either of us might have. For us having BB, it has been great.... And we are looking forward to BB10.
    Now if we can just get them to release the darn thing!!!
    04-18-13 11:26 AM
    It's a question that I posted on quora and I think it would be a great idea to ask it there too!<br />
    <br />
    I actually have a HTC amaze 4g who works with Android Os. I've been using this phone for 2 years so far. So there's 1 year left to my contract with 1go Internet.<br />
    <br />
    So I have experienced a lot android, but I would like some changes. I got to agree that I am really pleased into android since I am a great fans of google apps and android integrate really well those apps.<br />
    <br />
    My first phone was a Samsung that looked like a blackberry bold with a physical keyboard. I miss that a little bit since I always thought that it was the best for texting.<br />
    <br />
    I recently looked at the new BlackBerry Q10. It interess me a lot since it integrate the new bb os 10 who seems to be quite good. I like the battery who seems to be quite good comparing to my actual HTC who hardly makes my entire days. Also BBM seems interesting but<b> I don't have any friends who owns a blackberry</b> so it would be a bit useless.<br />
    <br />
    Now about the utilities of phone, I have to admit that the android apps market is very huge but I don't really use it. I am not a phone's game player and I actually use my phone only for texting, check out my social networks, browsing the Internet. I also got a couple of useful apps like the Google's apps and few others like ebay, TED, Flickr, etc. So I don't really use android to his full capacity. Also android allows you to customize your phone but seriously I had the same home screen and customization layout (widgets) for a year...<br />
    <br />
    Also, I'm starting the university in administration and I like the &quot;professional/business&quot; aspects of the blackberry.<br />
    <br />
    Thanks for helping me... Consider that it would cost me like 250$ if I do the switch in a couple of months.
    Matheu , I reccomend you get yourself galaxy note 2 , blackberry are good at some point but not good at all for the many apps and great photos user ..
    bb z10 or q10 despite the fact I'm a die hard bb user for 9 years now I find them completly useless ..the bb 10 devices I mean ..
    if you want to experience blackberry get yourself a 9900 as for android .. I still recomend the galaxy note 2 or htc one
    Donvald, jegs2 and JasW like this.
    04-18-13 11:32 AM
    I say switch and give it a test run. I switch OS's just because the wind change directions for a min. I'm a heavy text person so going back home to BB fits me well. Long as google can integrate my work calendar I'm good. Photos will be just that. I'm not a professional so oh well. Social sites I just go in and out. So I say try it, you like it buy it. You don't take it back. I'm personally keeping my iPhone 5 for fun, get me another GN2 for documents and Q10 for the daily driver.
    04-18-13 11:40 AM
    I think you are like me. Use the phone for what a phone is for, have a few important apps that do the things I need my phone to do. I have like 10 apps on my phone and literally only use like 3 or 4 on a regular basis. I don't get people who boast about there being 10 million apps available... While 90% of the apps on their phone are useless stupid distractions that I would never download in the first place... I think the Q10 will be a good phone if you really care about typing/texting. Not to mention the keyboard shortcuts or universal search will make everyday phone functions extremely easy to use...
    04-18-13 12:01 PM
    Ignore the ignorant people telling you not to get the Q10.

For the use cases you have outlined the Q10 would be perfect for you...

-With a Q10 you get the best mobile typing experience on the planet, this is fact not some opinion (seriously the keyboard feels amazing to the point I enjoy typing on it just to type)

-Integrated / always open communication in the Hub in gives you the most efficient enjoyable communication experience on any platform out there... There is a slight learning curve and I'd say after a week if you don't like the Hub then BB10 isn't for you, being 1.0 software there is room for feature improvement such as pictures and rich text in signatures.

- Social media apps are there and work (and if you don't like the native ones you can always side load the Android versions)

Anyone claiming that the Q10 is buggy doesn't know what they are talking about, the OS is buttery smooth with 0 lag (a far cry from how choppy android can get when bogged down on certain devices) I haven't had any issues with my Z10 since launch, neither has anyone I know.

Ultimately the choice is up to you, BlackBerry people "Just get It" and will pick up the Q10 and love it... Some people won't like it and would prefer a 5" android phone with big screen real estate for games and media consumption that's totally fine and obviously the Q10 can't compete with that... but it's not trying to.

The Q10 exists for people who prioritize function and communication over apps and screen real estate. I'd say get the phone try it for a week and if you don't like it return it and get something else.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-13 12:06 PM
    i'd say also ignore the ignorant who tells you to get the Q10 before even going to a shop and play with it and use it and to see if its good for your not, it's ignorant i have to

ignorant
    Donvald and BigAl_BB9900 like this.
    04-18-13 12:19 PM
    Matheu , I reccomend you get yourself galaxy note 2 , blackberry are good at some point but not good at all for the many apps and great photos user ..
    bb z10 or q10 despite the fact I'm a die hard bb user for 9 years now I find them completly useless ..the bb 10 devices I mean ..
    if you want to experience blackberry get yourself a 9900 as for android .. I still recomend the galaxy note 2 or htc one
    The OP clearly said that he doesn't use his phones primarily for apps, but messaging. He also said that he wanted a keyboard. Be more helpful, not biased
    04-18-13 12:39 PM
    You sound like a power user for communications. Here are the advantages of BB over your android:
    1. Physical keyboard should be awesome.
    2. Battery life should be awesome.
    3. Keyboard shortcuts, such as speed dial and others are awesome.
    4. The camera to post to fb or just share pictures is way better.
    5. BB has NFC and you can tap your phone with other BBs or android and share stuff.
    6. It is more secure than other mobile devices.

The weakness is relative. They have less apps than android and you may find that there is an app you would like that is not available. However, BB has done a good job about apps so far, the launched with 70 and how have over 100k in just a few weeks. So, they get it about the apps and are working hard to bring them on. In the meantime you could always just save a link to your home screen and use it like an app. It won't be optimized but it works. I do this with Training Peaks.

I got the Z10 and I love it. Especially the camera but I miss the keyboard. I'll be getting that for my other line, which is my main phone. I just love how convenient it is to use shortcuts and sometimes I'm in moving vehicles (golf cart, car passenger, bus, etc.) there is nothing better. The OS is hands down the newest and in my view the best at the moment.
    Why don't you try it and see if you feel the same way. At the end of the day how it feels to you is what matters.
    -Either way, good luck.
    04-18-13 12:50 PM
    OS10 on a qwerty phone is the best setup. Great multitasking os that can run eight apps at once. Great camera and build quality. Apps for anything you need...even if it is not the one you're used too. Unmatched security. I could go on, but, you really should just get one.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-13 01:24 PM
    I'm in a similar situation as the OP. I do want to try the Q10, although I love my Android device--I want to try something new. I'm not into the latest and greatest apps, but the problem is, even if I'm not into the latest and greatest apps, I'm still going to run into problems because banks, stores and other businesses usually develop their apps for IOS and Android, rarely do they develop for Blackberry, because let's face it, the great majority of people use one of the two aforementioned operating systems. So, you have to question yourself, can I deal with being the guy standing in the corner by myself, while everyone else is partying it up on the dance-floor? It will probably take years before BB10 app development is prioritized and on the same level of interest as IOS and Android. BB 10 market share will have to increase significantly in order for it to be a priority for private businesses. It can happen, but you'll make many sacrifices in the meantime. Is it worth it to be different?

Also, I will suggest like many others, that you take your time before rushing into purchasing, as I am, because I'm finding out many of the features I've grown to love on Blackberrys have been discontinued or watered down(ex. BIS). Just before purchasing my first Android, I was holding out for the BB 9900, but heard the news that the new OS 7, which I was excited about, would be replaced with a newer BB OS the following year that wasn't compatible with the BB 9900 hardware. I wasn't sure of the future of Blackberry and decided to go with Android until BB 10's release. Now, that it's released, I'm not sure it will give me the legacy Blackberry experience I was seeking. I know there are updates in the works, but right now besides the swiping, I don't see how the new devices distinguishes themselves from similar experiences on IOS or Android devices, besides the Q10 keyboard. Therefore, you have to ask yourself again, is it worth it and if so, why?

So, there is a lot to think about.
    04-18-13 01:36 PM
    Check how many texts you send a month to help you decide. I send well over 1000 and plenty of IMs too. My use case is almost exactly like yours but since communication is my primary phone function I decided the Q10 would be good for me. I hope that will be true.

EDIT: For comparison the only apps I use that didn't come on my Nexus are Facebook and Lose It. Lose It can probably be sideloaded. Also, since the BB10 browser is so good you can use a lot of web apps pretty well too. I wonder if it'll work well with PNC's new HTML5 frontend for their web banking.
    04-18-13 02:23 PM
    i'd say also ignore the ignorant who tells you to get the Q10 before even going to a shop and play with it and use it and to see if its good for your not, it's ignorant i have to

ignorant
    mehh ive never test a phone before i bought one... and i never regret any of them.
    im a heavy txt user and i dont need much apps. I only need whatsapp, skype, skydrive and banking app (which are coming to bb10). and i rly like the industrial design of it.
    04-18-13 02:44 PM
    A phone with longevity and stability seems most appropriate for you; As mentioned though a Q10 or Z10 may not be the best choice for your needs. This is still a new product and may be too experimental for your uses. If you need a mobile with a keyboard, there are plenty of choices, don't restrict yourself to the wrong platform for your needs simply for the keyboard. If you are going to get into a 3 year contract, your mobile needs to be high end now if you want to receive the latest updates throughout your contract. Updates will keep your mobile feeling relevant and fresh throughout the 3 year period if this is important to you.

To be frank, there are few mobiles now that are with keyboards that will still be receiving updates throughout the 3 year period of your contract, so although you miss the keyboard, there may be compromises to make.

I would suggest you look at some of the higher end samsung devices when you reach the end of your contract and see what appeals to you. It maybe in a years time that Blackberry will have improved their software and features and are more generous in the internals of their devices together with pricing their mobiles more competitively.

It would be selfish of me to recommend Blackberry at this time, not knowing your financial situation, its more of a gamble than a sure fire thing and thats not a sensible way to spend your money if you need a functional, reliable phone that will remain relevant for many years to come.

The best phone for you in a years time would probably be the Note 3 which would be priced reasonably, still be a very good device and would receive exciting updates for many years to come. The size of the note would in many ways soften the absence of a physical keyboard.
    04-18-13 02:52 PM
    Lots of misinformed and useless opinions in this thread. I have a Z10 and an iPhone. Never had an Android. Wife has a 9900 which I had before the Z10. Can't wait for the Q10 to come out, the Z is awesome. Makes my iPhone feel outdated and clumsy. My 5 cents!! Q will be the phone for productive people, iPhone/Android for Angry Birds lol
    keel999 and russworman like this.
    04-18-13 08:09 PM
    I bailed on BB after 12 years and switched to a Note 2. The size of the phone (and the awesome, incredibly intelligent SwiftKey keyboard) made it an easy switch for a guy who'd only used a physical keyboard up until then. I played with the Z10, but I was nowhere near as impressed as I was with the Note 2. In addition to the kickass processor and huge screen, the S Pen is like a dream come true. Top that off with something you will never ever get on BB: all of those apps, which, even if you are, like me, not a huge app person, still makes an incredible difference. BB 10 does away with much of the BB experience as we know it, and at that point, it was time to say goodbye. The Z10 is a very good phone, don't get me wrong, it's just not as good, for myriad reasons, as the top line Androids.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    04-18-13 08:31 PM
    Lots of misinformed and useless opinions in this thread. I have a Z10 and an iPhone. Never had an Android. Wife has a 9900 which I had before the Z10. Can't wait for the Q10 to come out, the Z is awesome. Makes my iPhone feel outdated and clumsy. My 5 cents!! Q will be the phone for productive people, iPhone/Android for Angry Birds lol
    You, sir, are the one who is sadly misinformed. Angry Birds, indeed.

sexybabe88 and Chris Marsch like this.
    04-18-13 08:33 PM
    Is the size of your phone a big deal, OP? If you need something large, you should stick with Android. As for me, I wish phones weren't as giant as they are these days. My Droid 2 was a great size so the Q10's small size should suit me better.
    04-18-13 09:11 PM
    I got rid of my Nexus 4, Note 2, iP5 for a z10...i then got the 9900...as you can see i have used the top phones but i can tell you one thing from all of this..

With every phone, except the 9900, i always felt something was missing. I send almost 10,000 text/im a month so i need a phone that can handle it as well as give me the pleasure of typing on a keyboard. only the 9900 does that and only the q10 will do that. If you are someone who uses social apps like fb, twitter and thats it then you should get the q10....trust me, for someone who has tried the note 2, n4, ip5 i will tell you there is nothing like using a physical keyboard
    keel999 and Mathieu Thibault like this.
    04-18-13 10:10 PM
    Wow!, thanks a lot for all of your answers! I tought it would be a bit biaised to ask this question on a blackberry's fans forum. But answers were nuanced. We'll I've got to admit that I will have to try this phone. But I guess I will wait a bit... like some people suggested me.
    04-18-13 11:08 PM
    Is the size of your phone a big deal, OP? If you need something large, you should stick with Android. As for me, I wish phones weren't as giant as they are these days. My Droid 2 was a great size so the Q10's small size should suit me better.
    Yeah, ofcourse, I don't really like the idea of getting a huge phone like the galaxy note. My friend has one and I often joke him if i can try his tablet ahah. Seriously, I think it's getting too big... I once tried to put it in my jeans pocket and it was really disturbing. Even my HTC Amaze, sometimes I feel that he is a bit bulky.

Although, I always liked the size of the Iphone (4-4s or even 5). So I guess I prefer when it's more compact like the Q10
    04-18-13 11:13 PM
    Yeah, ofcourse, I don't really like the idea of getting a huge phone like the galaxy note. My friend has one and I often joke him if i can try his tablet ahah. Seriously, I think it's getting too big... I once tried to put it in my jeans pocket and it was really disturbing. Even my HTC Amaze, sometimes I feel that he is a bit bulky.

Although, I always liked the size of the Iphone (4-4s or even 5). So I guess I prefer when it's more compact like the Q10
    Yah, my friend has one, and seriously, it looks absolutely ridiculous every time he takes it out... It's like picking up a floor paver and puting it to my head to answer a call, it's absolutely absurd looking, lol. But if he likes it and it works for him, then that's the phone for him, but I cannot see myself having a mini tablet strapped to my belt and then putting a freakin floor tile on my face to answer a call... But that's just me...
    04-18-13 11:55 PM
    I bailed on BB after 12 years and switched to a Note 2. The size of the phone (and the awesome, incredibly intelligent SwiftKey keyboard) made it an easy switch for a guy who'd only used a physical keyboard up until then. I played with the Z10, but I was nowhere near as impressed as I was with the Note 2. In addition to the kickass processor and huge screen, the S Pen is like a dream come true. Top that off with something you will never ever get on BB: all of those apps, which, even if you are, like me, not a huge app person, still makes an incredible difference. BB 10 does away with much of the BB experience as we know it, and at that point, it was time to say goodbye. The Z10 is a very good phone, don't get me wrong, it's just not as good, for myriad reasons, as the top line Androids.

Of course this was asking about the Q10, not the Z10, so...
    04-18-13 11:57 PM
39 12