I have a new Q10. Can someone please, please, tell me where to download a good turn by turn navigation system that does not want to steal all my contact information. I have looked at all the apps (for hours) on Blackberry app site, and most have this issue. I have downloaded two or three myself, only to find they won't run unless you give the app access to your personal or contact info. One of the apps also wants access to the registration number and PIN for your BBY . Why does BBy put these on the approved site? Those of us who are still BBy users, stay with BBy because of the superior email interface and for security and business reasons. A navigation app needs my location; it doesn't need my contact list!! (As an aside, I was happy to see the new Q10 comes with a flashlight. on my old one, my app stopped working when I updated it, and then refused to give it authority to see personal and contact information -- for a flashlight!)
    thanks for your help. All I want is good turn by turn navigation, like what all my friends with iPhones and Androids have, without the program stealing my information.
    Last edited by Sky Line; 07-19-14 at 09:25 PM. Reason: typo in title
    07-19-14 09:22 PM
    Why not the BlackBerry native maps app? Also, Waze (Amazon store), navfree (BlackBerry appworld)?

My favorite was google maps, but you need SNAP for that

Posted via CB10
    07-19-14 09:28 PM
    I have a new Q10. Can someone please, please, tell me where to download a good turn by turn navigation system that does not want to steal all my contact information. I have looked at all the apps (for hours) on Blackberry app site, and most have this issue. I have downloaded two or three myself, only to find they won't run unless you give the app access to your personal or contact info. One of the apps also wants access to the registration number and PIN for your BBY . Why does BBy put these on the approved site? Those of us who are still BBy users, stay with BBy because of the superior email interface and for security and business reasons. A navigation app needs my location; it doesn't need my contact list!! (As an aside, I was happy to see the new Q10 comes with a flashlight. on my old one, my app stopped working when I updated it, and then refused to give it authority to see personal and contact information -- for a flashlight!)
    thanks for your help. All I want is good turn by turn navigation, like what all my friends with iPhones and Androids have, without the program stealing my information.
    Unless you're in an unsupported country why not try BlackBerry Maps?
    07-19-14 09:29 PM
    I'm not sure how a navigation app is supposed to give directions to your contacts home or business without having access to your list of contacts.

Did I misunderstand something?

@BruvvaPete :Channel: C0012176F. Live well
    07-19-14 09:42 PM
    Why not the BlackBerry native maps app? Also, Waze (Amazon store), navfree (BlackBerry appworld)?

My favorite was google maps, but you need SNAP for that

Posted via CB10
    Thank you. I will look into those alternatives. And for the question from another user about directions to contacts, I am not interested in directions to them (I know where most of them work, so I don't need the directions). But if I do, I would be happy to enter the address manually. A decent program should have that option. Obviously it needs to know where you are. other than that, all it needs is the address where you are going. nothing else.
    07-20-14 01:22 AM
    Ha! Sorry, now I truly feel like a dumb A. I had used BBy maps on my old BBy, and it was just a map. there was no start to destination function. So I assumed it was the same, and looked for a Google or other system. But you know what they say about assume. So thanks for the wake-up call. I'll try this for a while and maybe Waze as well.
    -- By the way, that's why they list me as a newbie.
    07-20-14 01:42 AM
    I've gotta say Wayze is really good. I downloaded Navfree (Almost 800 MB for the North American map) but it uses no data. Finding addresses can be a pain, but for a general map search it's alright, especially if you have a limited data plan like myself (1GB with Telus).

Of course nothing beats Google Maps.

07-20-14 05:47 AM
    BlackBerry maps does not support my country. I am looking for a decent, prferably, free navigation for my Q10. I need it to cover Eastern Europe. Not as much for driving though. Just a reliable app that I can use to find my way round quickly.

Posted via CB10
    07-20-14 05:56 AM
    I use BlackBerry Maps which is not bad at all but I miss Google Maps that I had on my 9900...

Posted via CB10
    07-20-14 08:52 AM
    Mireo Don't Panic is a very good offline navigation. It is not free but you can download and use the 7 days trial version and buy the needed maps later if you like it.

Posted via CB10
    07-20-14 09:16 AM
    Biggest problem with Mireo is the simple fact you can't do a proper street address search with it. I have contacted the developer about the flaw months ago and although they said they were going to fix the problem, nothing has been done yet....

R...

Mireo Don't Panic is a very good offline navigation. It is not free but you can download and use the 7 days trial version and buy the needed maps later if you like it.

Posted via CB10

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    07-20-14 09:49 AM
    I'm not sure how a navigation app is supposed to give directions to your contacts home or business without having access to your list of contacts.

Did I misunderstand something?

I get your point, but names, numbers, birth dates, anniversaries, and other personal information contained in contacts is not needed for navigation. And you can manually input the contact's address for navigation. I wouldn't trust that information to just any app - even/especially if it's "free"
    07-20-14 10:07 AM
    Biggest problem with Mireo is the simple fact you can't do a proper street address search with it. I have contacted the developer about the flaw months ago and although they said they were going to fix the problem, nothing has been done yet....

R...

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    Idk about the search in your region but it is pretty accurate on the maps I use it.

Posted via CB10
    07-20-14 11:32 AM
    I get your point, but names, numbers, birth dates, anniversaries, and other personal information contained in contacts is not needed for navigation. And you can manually input the contact's address for navigation. I wouldn't trust that information to just any app - even/especially if it's "free"
    I wouldn't think a navigation app would want anything but names and addresses. Do you have any info to the contrary? I'm just curious.

I also wouldn't want to manually enter an address because it would take away my productivity. One good thing about the Built For BB program is you have the option of selecting what to share and what not to share with an app. I don't know about iOS, but not having that option sucks with Android apps.

07-20-14 12:04 PM
    Right. That's partly what made me paranoid about the issue of "mining your personal information." I tried an Android phone for a week, and after downloading the email program that has some similarity to what I was used to with BBy (Touchdown, I think), my phone literally got hot it was sending so much information elsewhere. I shut it down, returned it, and went back to BBy. I'm getting used to the screen functions in the Q10. but the best thing is having the 4G connection, so I can finally bring up a webpage without feeling like I'm on dial-up.
    Thanks again to all of you for the rapid response to my earlier question. And incidentally, before enlightenment on the native BBy program, the Mireo program was one of the ones I tried. When I refused to give it permission to access contact information, it wouldn't work.
    07-20-14 12:45 PM
    Mireo Don't Panic. Best one on BlackBerry World. Used it now for over a year, no problems. You have to buy map packs, but this one is worth it to me. BlackBerry Maps is pretty darn good too.

Kobnyc
    07-21-14 04:30 PM
    And incidentally, before enlightenment on the native BBy program, the Mireo program was one of the ones I tried. When I refused to give it permission to access contact information, it wouldn't work.
    Mireo do not need contact information to work. Better check out again.
    07-21-14 05:28 PM
    I traded my personal information for a flash light app. Beat paying. 99 for it.

/shrug

Posted via CB10
    07-21-14 06:09 PM
    And why can't you use Google Maps?

Posted via CB10 Right on Cue
    07-21-14 07:08 PM
    BeMaps uses Google maps and the BlackBerry maps for turn by turn directions. My hands down favorite combination!!!!

Posted via CB10
    07-21-14 07:36 PM
    My two cents. And I've written a few reviews on this forum about the app: Mireo. By far the best app I have ever purchased. Period. I've driven all over north America and it's never been wrong once.
    It's offline so doesn't use your data, doesn't ask for permissions to mine your phone and I also purchased the traffic addon.

As a test last week. Mireo traffic update was more accurate than my wife's iPhone and a Samsung traffic app on an s5.

Posted via CB10
    07-24-14 08:19 PM
    While you may be right, but, will all of the free options, such as Waze, Google Maps, BlackBerry Maps, navfree, I can not see the justification in spending $20 for Mireo (and that, for North America, now on sale for $14). I've used google maps in various places around the globe and it was great!

My two cents. And I've written a few reviews on this forum about the app: Mireo. By far the best app I have ever purchased. Period. I've driven all over north America and it's never been wrong once.
    It's offline so doesn't use your data, doesn't ask for permissions to mine your phone and I also purchased the traffic addon.

As a test last week. Mireo traffic update was more accurate than my wife's iPhone and a Samsung traffic app on an s5.

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    07-24-14 09:17 PM
    Idk about the search in your region but it is pretty accurate on the maps I use it.

Posted via CB10
    Really? Good on you. I'm in Canada and it doesn't even find my street never mind house number. And that's in major center.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    07-24-14 10:06 PM
    While you may be right, but, will all of the free options, such as Waze, Google Maps, BlackBerry Maps, navfree, I can not see the justification in spending $20 for Mireo (and that, for North America, now on sale for $14). I've used google maps in various places around the globe and it was great!

Posted via CB10
    I guess we have diff opinions of free. I'd rather pay $14 and never incur a fee again. The other options you've listed except for navfree use data. Thus traveling from say Canada to the US even once with turn by turn navigation would cost you much more than $14 in roaming fees.

As a side note, the maps can be stored on an SD card if needed and you get free lifetime updates. Think I've received three updates since purchasing it.

All in all I guess the OP does have a few options...which is always a good thing.

Posted via CB10
    pystha likes this.
    07-24-14 10:12 PM
    I guess we have diff opinions of free. I'd rather pay $14 and never incur a fee again. The other options you've listed except for navfree use data. Thus traveling from say Canada to the US even once with turn by turn navigation would cost you much more than $14 in roaming fees.

As a side note, the maps can be stored on an SD card if needed and you get free lifetime updates. Think I've received three updates since purchasing it.

All in all I guess the OP does have a few options...which is always a good thing.

Posted via CB10
    I hear you, you're point is well taken. I guess it all depends on your situation. I was working with an unlimited data package.

Posted via CB10
    07-25-14 06:45 AM
27 12