i am in a panic and could really use some advice. is there any way to rescue my contacts from my q10 back up on my mac computer so i can get them into a new keynote from sprint? i lost my phone so only have back up files on my mac but no idea how to access them. please help! thanks, josh
    07-15-18 02:38 AM
    If you happen to have a second BlackBerry 10 device, try restoring data to that phone. Then, use the BlackBerry Content Transfer apps between BlackBerry 10 and Android to get your contacts onto your KEYone (I think that's what you mean).

Sometimes, contacts also reside on a users SIM card, but that typically requires the users to enable that. If enabled, pop the SIM into whatever phone and your contacts are there.

If you had a Gmail or similar kind of cloud email with your contacts sync feature enabled, your contacts will follow you when you add that account to your KEYone.

If none of that works, perhaps your carrier retailer has a BlackBerry 10 device kicking around and you take your Mac to that place to have the file restored to that phone, then do the content transfer, and immediately security wipe that 'kicking around' BlackBerry.

Perhaps somebody on this forum could either donate, sell for cheap, or somehow lend you a BlackBerry 10 phone you could do this with.

Other than that, I can't think of a way to access the data backed up to a file from BlackBerry 10 in any way other than to restore that data to another BlackBerry 10 telephone with BlackBerry Link.

I could be totally missing something though. There might be somebody in here who knows better than myself who can help you.

These are simply the things that spring up inside my wooden skull after reading your post.
    07-15-18 04:05 AM
    thanks so much for your advice. got the key one and now i will find a q10 on eBay or something. can i reach out to you again if i have any troubles executing the plan you laid out?
    07-17-18 02:38 PM
    im back and could use some additional help. i bought a new q10 per your advice to see if i can get the contacts (from my previous q10 that i lost) to load onto this new device but my blackberry link doesnt recognize the phone when plugged into the usb. what should i do? thanks!
    08-19-18 06:48 PM
    new update. i did a security wipe on my q10 and now my computer recognizes it, but the 'restore device' option on my blackberry link program is not able to be clicked for some reason
    08-19-18 11:16 PM
    What format is your contacts backup? i.e. was it a Link backup in the first place, or could it be converted on yur Mac to something generic like a csv file? There's a free app in BBW called Contacts ImEx, which will import Contacts saved as csv (and will also export the same from your BB10 device). It works very well, and if you can convert your backup to csv, it might be able to read and import at least some of it.

Typed on my Q10, SQN100-2, 10.3.2.2813
    08-21-18 10:33 AM
    my contacts backup is a .bbb file on my mac. made from link. but i don't know of any way to convert the backup to another file format unfortunately. and now my blackberry link shows my new q10 as disconnected even though its plugged into my usb port. ugh
    08-21-18 04:01 PM
    actually sometimes link does recognize the new q10 but doesnt let me choose the restore device tab for some reason
    08-21-18 04:05 PM
    Link is wonky on Macs and Windows 10 machines. But here's a roundabout possibility that may work...

If you have access to a friend's Windows 7 machine, ask if they'll let you install Link onto it. Once Link is installed, you'll need 2 USB ports on your friend's PC. Copy your bbb backup file to a USB stick, and insert it into a USB port on the Windows machine. (If you are asked what you want to do with the inserted drive, choose View Files.) Then attach your phone to a 2nd USB port. If your phone isn't recognised or you aren't asked for your phone's password, try a different USB port. Sometimes the USB2 ports work better for this purpose than USB3.

If your phone is recognised, log into it, and tell Link you want to Restore. You might be able to do a partial restore of just your contacts, if a full restore doesn't work.

One big caveat: If your backup was made from OS 10.3.2 and your new Q10 is running 10.3.3, then you're out of luck; 10.3.3 isn't backwards compatible at all.

Hope this helps! (fingers crossed)

08-21-18 11:59 PM
    i don't have access to a windows 7 computer. no way to do it with the new q10 i bought? my link now recognizes it but im not able to activate the 'restore' tab. thanks for any help...
    08-25-18 01:21 AM
    Do you know which OS version your new Q10 has? (Type "myver" in here to see)

What about the version your old Q10 had- do you know?

08-25-18 12:00 PM
    current q10 is 10.3.2.2530. not sure how i would find out about the one i had. but i lost it this summer so i assume it was the same OS version since i doubt they have updated in a while, right? i have the .bbb file backup but not sure you can tell from that... thanks!
    08-29-18 05:40 PM
    If your old Q10 was using any version of 10.3.3 when you backed it up, you won't be able to restore it to a Q10 running 10.3.2, because 10.3.3 isn't backwards compatible. Because you don't know what version your lost phone had, I hesitate to tell you to update your current phone to 10.3.3, but it does seem to be something worth trying. Since Link won't restore to your phone the way it is, it *might* restore if you update the OS.

You will see lots of suggestions in these forums to use an autoloader to update your current phone to the latest OS version. That's generally a good idea, especially for phones which have stopped working correctly for some reason. Doing so will wipe your current phone in the process (an autoloader both reloads the OS from scratch, and at the same time, updates it from an older version), but since you haven't put anything on it yet, wiping it shouldn't be an issue. But you'll need some kind of PC to do that, and again, there's still no guarantee Link will restore anything to it afterwards.

Sorry to sound all gloom & doom, but Link was never very reliable for restoring backups -it's kind of a crap shoot. But it won't hurt you to try updating the new phone first, since nothing else has worked yet.

You can download an autoloader for Q10 here:

https://mega.nz/#F!fA0URRLL!P-4nDqc5JWTVRg8fv5LyhA

Download it to a PC and unzip it to extract the exe file inside. Now hook up your Q10 to the PC via USB, and double-click the exe file that you just saved on the PC. Then let the autoloader do its thing. (If Link tries to open when you connect your Q10, just close it.)

Last edited by Ragbert; 08-29-18 at 09:55 PM.
    08-29-18 09:40 PM