They could have made it at least 3.5 inches tall, similar to the iPhone screen size. That would have been amazing.
    False.
    03-09-13 01:40 PM
    False.
    It's "false" that what I said would be a amazing? You need to learn how to communicate lol

Sent from an Unkown Device using Tapatalk
    03-09-13 02:08 PM
    I love a great physical keyboard, the Bold 9000 & 9900 were amazing! I've been dying to use a modern OS with a physical keyboard for sometime now. My only gripe is screen size. The Q10, while beautiful, has a 3.1 inch screen which is dismal in my opinion. They could have made it at least 3.5 inches tall, similar to the iPhone screen size. That would have been amazing.

If Samsung is going to make a QWERTY device, with top specs, and a larger screen size. (I know I can count on Samsung to make bigger screens! lol) I'll be all over it! My contract ends in 2014 though, so I'm hoping that one of the other devices BlackBerry is planning to release in 2013/2014 is going to be a device with physical keyboard and larger screen!
    You thinking something like a 9800 except not a slider?
    03-09-13 02:19 PM
    The screen size is measured on the diagonal . They could have made a screen abut 5mm wider and taller and have about a 3.5 inch screen size. ( Or so I figure). The phone would have been only marginally taller and wider. A lot of current BB owners prefer the small phone size. My view is that a 3.5 inch screen would have bumped up the phones popularity with users new to BB.
    Plazmic Flame and keypad like this.
    03-09-13 04:00 PM
    You thinking something like a 9800 except not a slider?
    Precisely
    03-09-13 07:14 PM
    Precisely
    Something along the lines of the Moto Droid Pro?
    Motorola DROID PRO XT610 - Full phone specifications
    03-09-13 07:18 PM
    Something along the lines of the Moto Droid Pro?
    Motorola DROID PRO XT610 - Full phone specifications
    That's the exact same screen size as the Q10 though.... :-s

Needs a bigger screen

03-09-13 07:32 PM
    I think the market is really small. . Say 50 million worldwide . At least BB owns that market.
    There are probably around 100 Million people worldwide that use BlackBerry phones. (BlackBerry says they have around 80 Million subscribers, but that doesn't count the people who use BlackBerry phones but don't subscribe to BIS or even data. (Yeah, I have a BlackBerry with no BIS/data, and so does my friend. We just like the keyboards for typing texts.)

Considering BlackBerry has 3 all touch products, I would estimate that makes up a MAX of 10% of all users (just to be conservative).
    So that leaves us with 90 Million people that use BlackBerry phones which are all qwerty.

Then you factor in qwerty phones by other manufacturers. There definitely is a market for qwerty phones that exceeds 100 Million worldwide.
    03-10-13 12:08 AM
    That's the exact same screen size as the Q10 though.... :-s

Needs a bigger screen

Not quite. The q10 screen is square, isn't it? Wouldn't that make the q10 screen larger than the DROID pro? Had a DROID pro for about six months. Worst smartphone I've ever owned.
    03-10-13 12:20 AM
    So as an added question, does anyone think that the Q10 could have worked and been accepted by the BlackBerry faithful, if the handset was made to fit into the form factor of a 4inch smartphone, such as the iPhone 5 or the slightly larger Z10?
    03-10-13 09:24 AM
    It's "false" that what I said would be a amazing? You need to learn how to communicate lol
    You understood me just fine. That's a terrible idea, I'm glad you don't work at BlackBerry.
    03-10-13 12:12 PM
    You understood me just fine. That's a terrible idea, I'm glad you don't work at BlackBerry.
    I'm glad you don't either, a person with zero ability to think outside the box. BlackBerry would probably still be pushing the Pearl flip and the Style models.

Thinking "better" and "bigger" is what makes companies evolve and become more than what they were before.

I'll leave you with that. Good day sir.

03-10-13 01:57 PM
    So as an added question, does anyone think that the Q10 could have worked and been accepted by the BlackBerry faithful, if the handset was made to fit into the form factor of a 4inch smartphone, such as the iPhone 5 or the slightly larger Z10?
    The Z10 with a physical keyboard would be too long I think. The sweet spot would be a 3.5 inch to 3.7 inch screen with physical qwerty.

03-10-13 01:58 PM
    Sorry I may not have been clear enough in my question.
    I mean to say, if a physical qwerty keyboard and touchscreen were merged into a smartphone with an overall area no bigger than a typical 4 inch smartphone, would Bold 9000/9900 users accept or reject that form factor.

My view is your above statement is spot on. For me 3.5 to 3.7 inch touchscreen, attached to a physical qwerty keyboard underneath is the sweet spot.

I'm just interested in how others see it, thanks for your contribution.
    Last edited by keypad; 03-10-13 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Typo
    Plazmic Flame likes this.
    03-10-13 04:33 PM
    There are probably around 100 Million people worldwide that use BlackBerry phones. (BlackBerry says they have around 80 Million subscribers, but that doesn't count the people who use BlackBerry phones but don't subscribe to BIS or even data. (Yeah, I have a BlackBerry with no BIS/data, and so does my friend. We just like the keyboards for typing texts.)

Considering BlackBerry has 3 all touch products, I would estimate that makes up a MAX of 10% of all users (just to be conservative).
    So that leaves us with 90 Million people that use BlackBerry phones which are all qwerty.

Then you factor in qwerty phones by other manufacturers. There definitely is a market for qwerty phones that exceeds 100 Million worldwide.
    Nope . In the third world BB users have or will be trading in their Curve's for cheap but good 4 inch screen android Iphone clones. The market for physical key devices is imploding. The Q10 is a high end phone that will prosper in a limited way .
    03-10-13 10:19 PM
    Sorry I may not have been clear enough in my question.
    I mean to say, if a physical qwerty keyboard and touchscreen were merged into a smartphone with an overall area no bigger than a typical 4 inch smartphone, would Bold 9000/9900 users accept or reject that form factor.

My view is your above statement is spot on. For me 3.5 to 3.7 inch touchscreen, attached to a physical qwerty keyboard underneath is the sweet spot.

I'm just interested in how others see it, thanks for your contribution.
    No(IMHO) because then people would claim it is to big.
    03-10-13 10:28 PM
    The problem is that most qwerty users have accepted and gotten used to the trade-off of having a smaller screen in exchange for a physical keyboard. The 9900 is much more popular than the 9810. So the Q10 will probably fare well with former Bold and Curve users, because it will be an upgrade in screen size.
    03-11-13 01:15 AM
    Qwerty is a must. It's best for us thick finger ed people. Way better for typing and driving as well.

Posted via CB10
    03-11-13 12:29 PM
    Qwerty is a must. It's best for us thick finger ed people. Way better for typing and driving as well.

Posted via CB10
    /sarcasm ?
    03-11-13 01:42 PM
    I think there is still and will be a market (or at least a niche) for physical querty smartphones. Asfaik there are a couple of reasons, why we do not see any of these devices anymore:

1. the physical design is much more cost intensive compared with an all touch device.
    2. the physical design is more vulnerable to mechanical/electrical failure.
    3. for the above reasons all hardware makers try to avoid making those kind of phones.
    4. for the user those large touch screens have huge advantages too: more stuff to see on screen, easier reading, easier touch typing (i.e. compared with the tiny little screen of the Q10).
    5. Once most users have used a larger touch screen they have to weight screen size versus physical keyboard. And then the screen wins mostly because it has more benefit.
    6. Thats why I think Blackberry did made a very hughe mistake right from different angles:
    6.1 a qwerty device with large touch screen would have been a real unique selling point for the launch of OS 10. Something like the famous Torch, or the HTC Desire Z or Motorola Droid
    6.2 the device should have been cheaper, more like the Google Nexus 4, to get OS 10 seeded into the Market. Companies want cheap firm owned devices, and consumers pay top price only for really cool devices.
    6.3 They should have sold Z10 and Q10 for almost zero profit. Google/Android and also Microsoft with their early software have been very successful with cheap starting...
    keypad likes this.
    10-10-13 05:02 AM
    I don't see why a qwerty keyboard can't be an optional extra - you just stick over the bottom of a touch screen. Say with a Z30 device. A stick on physical keyboard could be sold separately. Ok the phone would be 3mm thicker over the keyboard but that's a small trade off. Key presses can be detected from the touchscreen below. The screen can auto change size based on detecting an attached keyboard. Screen below can iluminate keys any color you want. Keys can even light diferent colors for predictive text. Problem with keyboard, pull it off and fit another?

( 1 x shift ) !~ /^1?$|^(11+?)\1+$/
    keypad likes this.
    10-10-13 06:42 AM
    I don't see why a qwerty keyboard can't be an optional extra - you just stick over the bottom of a touch screen. Say with a Z30 device. A stick on physical keyboard could be sold separately. Ok the phone would be 3mm thicker over the keyboard but that's a small trade off. Key presses can be detected from the touchscreen below. The screen can auto change size based on detecting an attached keyboard. Screen below can iluminate keys any color you want. Keys can even light diferent colors for predictive text. Problem with keyboard, pull it off and fit another?

( 1 x shift ) !~ /^1?$|^(11+?)\1+$/
    Anybody else remember the HP Ipaq?

Posted via CB10
    10-10-13 06:46 AM
    Don't forget that virtual keyboards means you can use the same hardware in multiple countries making your manufacturing and distribution much easier. Also it allows rotation to landscape.

An add on keyboard means that all app developers would have to adjust their user interfaces to adjust for the fact that he half of the the screen may be covered at any time, possibly all the time. I don't know how you can design any software like that.

The there is always the question of what your tablet or phablet is going to look like. There were some ridiculous mock ups of what the Palm tablet might look like with a physical keyboard slider tray. In the end, they pretty much had to go with the slab like everyone else.
    The two smartphone companies with predominantly physical keyboards have gone from market dominance to failure in about 6 years. That should be enough to convince anyone that they have no future.
    10-10-13 06:57 AM
    BB made a "slide out" keyboard device. I think it was limited to AT&T. Anyway, I thought it was a very good idea. It wasn't touch screen at the time, and I don't know if it's still around, being offered, today.

However, physical keyboards seem to be falling by the wayside -- people don't seem to be demanding/wanting them, and manufacturers aren't offering them. Me, I want it and it's a must for me. I don't want touch screen. Just not interested. I am sure I'll be forced into it someday, hopefully not soon.

In all my devices -- never once had a problem with the keybaord, never broke down, keys didn't fall off, etc. LOL.
    10-10-13 07:05 AM
49 12