Ok, so I have a peculiar problem. Sometimes, my camera app won't load at all and just gives me the message "Camera couldn't be started". Sometimes, it loads to a screen with a bunch of vertical colourful lines, and will then usually switch OK to the front camera. Now, the interesting part is that when the camera won't load at all, the flashlight won't work. When the camera will load to a line screen, the flashlight works fine. So, the camera also seemingly randomly will start "working" and randomly stop "working". Any suggestions? I've tried a phone reset, phone restore, i've heard that the camera could be loose, so I've ordered some screwdrivers, they should be here soon.
    01-07-15 02:34 PM
    Any ideas? I'm really stuck on this one.
    01-10-15 11:06 PM
    I bet you have a Z10 STL100-1 ? If so, you can only wait for the next update (and cross your fingers).

Except that... with the vertical color thingy, I suspect something else. Did your phone get hot when used ?
    01-11-15 06:43 AM
    No, I have a Q10-sqn-3. Sorry, should have specified it. And no, it doesn't seem to get hot when I'm using it at all.
    01-11-15 04:12 PM
    Ok, did you are on the last Official OS ? You can type the 5 letters "myver" without the quotes in your next post and let the auto-correct do its work.

Did you have other apps which use the camera ? As you can guess, I target the Android ones...

First step, go to Settings > Security and Privacy > Application Permissions, select "Run in Background", deny all apps and restart your phone.

Test your camera.

If it's working, you have a bad culprit in the prior list. If not, did you ever drop your phone ? I guess you will have to open it and check that the camera connector is well clipped.

Good luck
    01-11-15 04:24 PM
    myver

Edit: Guess I have to do that from my phone
    Last edited by Jeremy Kamutzki; 01-11-15 at 05:41 PM.
    01-11-15 05:01 PM
    01-11-15 05:48 PM
    myver
    Missed The auto correct gives you something like :
    Q10SQN100-3/10.2.1.3442
    Just tell me which OS version you have. You can start BBVE (BlackBerry Virtual Expert) to learn that
    01-11-15 06:24 PM
    Not working. OK, I've got 10.2.1.3442
    01-12-15 01:23 PM
    So, did you have test or have something about :
    Did you have other apps which use the camera ? As you can guess, I target the Android ones...

First step, go to Settings > Security and Privacy > Application Permissions, select "Run in Background", deny all apps and restart your phone.

Test your camera.

If it's working, you have a bad culprit in the prior list. If not, did you ever drop your phone ? I guess you will have to open it and check that the camera connector is well clipped.
    Good luck
    01-12-15 01:42 PM
    When I run the camera test, it says it's missing a permission, and I check settings and it has permission. Guessing this means I have a broken camera, or its unplugged?

Posted via CB10
    01-12-15 01:55 PM
    When I run the camera test, it says it's missing a permission, and I check settings and it has permission.
    I don't understand. Which permission ? Can you take a screenshot of your apps with the "Run in the background" permission ? What app did you use to take a picture ?
    There is no "Run in the background" permission for the stocked camera app...
    01-12-15 02:12 PM
    Oh, I'm sorry. That was running the "rear camera" test in bbve

Posted via CB10
    01-12-15 04:51 PM
    Oh, I'm sorry. That was running the "rear camera" test in bbve
    Haaa, Ok ! Sorry, I feared you use another app to test the camera

But, well, that's not good. BBVE must have all permissions enabled of course, but if it's the case, and the app still ask for it...

Have you ever enable the Parental control ? If so, please, disable it and restart your phone before proceeding further.
    You can always try to uninstall BBVE, install it again from BlackBerry world and test the camera one more time. Usually, the error message is not about permission if the ribbon connector of your camera is disconnected...

BBVE is the last hardware test ; if not a success, yeah, the ribbon connector can be unplugged or your camera damaged.
    01-12-15 05:02 PM
    No, I used the bbve, and all permissions are enabled for it. Just checked parental controls, they're not on, and I enabled then disabled them and did a restart, same problem. Guess it's hardware. I ordered a set of torx screwdrivers which I should get soon, so I'll take it apart and check the ribbon connector

Posted via CB10
    01-12-15 05:18 PM
    Ok, and update, I received the screwdrivers, took the phone apart, and the connector is in solid. Still no good, so I ordered a new rear camera. Put that in today, and it's still not working! However, the camera will consistently open and just show the rainbow screen now. It used to often say that the camera couldn't be started, but that's not happening now. I can switch to the front camera no problem. Now, I have already done a security wipe, and a reload through Link. I tried the camera straight away, with sd card and without, still same result, and I tried it after reinstalling the backup I'd done, and it's still no good. So, my question is, what on earth can I do now? Oh, and BBVE shows the rainbow screen for the rear camera test, and then it pops up saying that it doesn't have camera permissions a few seconds later. Help appreciated

Edit: also forgot to mention that I have no camera logo in the bottom of my home screen anymore!!! I'm on the same version of bb10 as I was before I started all the security wiping/reloading nonsense, so it's really strange!
    Last edited by Jeremy Kamutzki; 02-18-15 at 04:31 PM.
    02-18-15 12:43 PM
    Well. If BB10 cannot access the camera, it disable it. As your front camera works well, I assume the issue is still with the rear camera.

Check again to see if you didn't break the small ribbon while changing the camera... :/
    02-19-15 04:52 AM
    Ok. Just updated to 10.3.1.... still no camera icon in the bottom right, and I can't use the back camera... will take it apart again.
    02-19-15 05:52 PM