That's why I suggested it be a 3.8" screen. Perhaps trim down the 9900's keyboard a tad for the slider. I'd rather have a slightly thicker phone if it meant proper aspect ratio screen and physical keyboard.
    I would suspect that they would want to stick to 720p to simplify matters, so any eventual slider will be at least 4.2" like the forthcoming l-series.
    01-05-13 02:20 PM
    Wait a month after the N release and see which device people are happier with. I've got a 9810; My wife has a 9900. Same generation, same OS, no comparison.
    01-06-13 08:27 AM
    I've got a 9810; My wife has a 9900. Same generation, same OS, no comparison.
    I have a 9800 (but I've played with the 9810) and my parents both have 9900s. I agree. No comparison. The larger screen on the Torch is nice and the keyboard only slides out when you need it instead of popping up on the screen all the damn time. The Bold 9900 is a nice phone with a better physical keyboard than the 9800/9810 but overall the 9810 gets my pick.
    jakie55 likes this.
    01-06-13 01:35 PM
    It's going to be tricky for me. Now that I've been using Swype for about six months, I no longer have any illusion that I "need" a hard keyboard to do things efficiently. Android's Swype, with pop-up directional pad for selecting and editing text, works very well. I'd love to see something like it on BB10, but there's been no whisper of that. So the question is: Can I go from Swype to having to tap a virtual keyboard, or will I need to go back to a hard keyboard? I don't know the answer, but I no longer just automatically assume that I can't make the transition. I'm ready for a larger phone than my Samsung Blaze, and the Z10 looks very good, so I really want it to work for me.
    jakie55 likes this.
    01-07-13 09:34 AM
    I'm hoping for a slider as well. I dont care for the phone as we have seen it. If there is no slider I may jump to the all touch, gonna weigh my options once I have seen both phones.
    01-07-13 09:53 AM
    I'm hoping for a slider as well. I dont care for the phone as we have seen it. If there is no slider I may jump to the all touch, gonna weigh my options once I have seen both phones.
    Certainly I would happily barter one of my organs for there to be a BB10 slider. A slider would be my dream. But that said, I'm probably going to stick with a keyboarded phone. I am tempted to get a full-touch just for sexiness factor, but I learned the hard way that full touch and I don't get on well (I type a horrific amount) and even a full-touch sexy Z10, I'm going to wait.
    01-13-13 06:35 PM
  7. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    always used the keypad since day one .. but going for the BB10 (L)!!!... can't wait to get my hands on it!! ...
    01-14-13 12:40 AM
    I'm querty-addicted so I guess I'd go for the N device. But I have to admit the L device is really cool... I guess I'll wait to try both of them then I'll decide which one to go for.
    01-14-13 07:41 PM
    I love the Touch screen as it has the big screen.. But at the same time, I love my Keyboard on my Bold 9900. I think I may wait until both devices are on the market and compare both my self.

Cheers
    Yeah this is pretty much the way I'm thinking too. I'd like to handle both and see how they actually work for me.
    01-19-13 09:11 PM
    I feel very torn myself typing this out on my 9800. I also have fond memories of my Nokia E75 slider. Great phone,terrible unstable software. the ideal combination of a large,touch tablet type screen with slide out keyboard.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    01-19-13 10:54 PM
    Count me in for a QWERTY... My 9900. I also have a Playbook running QNX and I am sure that the new N/X 10 will be the best thing since sliced bread, but I still don't see a compelling reason to upgrade to the first generation (at least considering that I already have something that does a Donkey's task at handling communications). Now, it will be a big temptation to get an L/Z when they first arrived, but I bounced back to BlackBerry� for the keyboard, and then slowly remembered how smart and intuitive its functioning is. My head tells me to stay with a physical keyboard, too. A few weeks ago I switched back to my recent model Android phone and had to go back in a day. I encourage keyboard fans to stick to them. BlackBerry� has been so bad for so long, the new phones are water on a parched desert. But not all water is fit to drink.
    01-20-13 10:31 AM
    In my opinion, I fell in love with BlackBerry's because of the physical qwerty keyboard, so I will be purchasing the N series.
    01-20-13 10:50 AM
    I've been reflecting some over the past few days on which way to go with BB10. I'm being pulled a little towards the Z10.

I formed most of my opinions about keyboard vs non-keyboard when I had my Bold 9000. I did great work with that phone, no arguments there. But that was a very different time, when I didn't have a Playbook. Now when I'm working on the go, I almost exclusively use my playbook. I have a keyboard case and bluetooth mouse, both of which are great, and I find the portrait touch keyboard to be very comfortable. I still communicate a lot through my phone, sure, but I don't word-process on my phone anything like as much as I used to, its now very infrequent. And that's what makes me dither.

The last time I had a full-touch phone I was happy enough typing on it. When I switched back is was because I wanted another blackberry, not specifically because I wanted a keyboard. I'm mostly feeling that the Z10 looks awesome, while the X10 looks like a 9900 running BB10. Now that's not a bad thing, but since I never used a 9900 (on a Torch atm) and wasn't even really interested in getting one it makes me feel like the Z10 might be better for me. Looking from my Torch to the Z10, I see that I'm mostly going to be getting the same kind of experience with the keyboard open, approximately the same screen real estate. I guess I'm posting this up because I really don't know what way to go at the moment, regardless of what I've said in the past. I think if the Z10 arrives significantly earlier, then that'll be enough to make my mind up (over two years since I had a new phone), but if they are launched together then maybe I have to flip a coin.
    01-20-13 10:00 PM
    My first smartphone was a BB Bold and then I upgraded to the torch before finally switching to the iPhone which I've had for the past 2 years. Main reason I switched to the iPhone was for the apps but after 2 years with the device I gotta say my main usage is for email, messaging, Facebook, twitter and Internet browsing. The BB10 N series will handle these tasks fine and have an amazing keyboard which i miss much. Gonna wait until the reviews come out and I get to test it out first but at this point I see myself coming back to Blackberry after a 2 year break!
    Bbnivende likes this.
    01-20-13 11:40 PM
    i have the iphone 5 on VZ and the bb9900 on att when bb10 comes out i am going to get the keyboard version on vz and iphone 5 on ATT because even though i love the iphone 5 and apps and i have no issue with the keyboard. i still love the bb keyboard. my main main number is VZ line this is why i have to do it this way.
    01-23-13 05:24 PM
    Neither. I would wait for a slider. I have been a keyboard fan for a long time and my first smart phone was a Palm Treo 700. I went to a keyboard less Android phone about a year ago and still miss the keyboard. I currently use a Nexus 4 and unless BB comes out with something at least close to the Nexus 4 with a keyboard, there is no reason for me to switch.
    My son has a 9800 and has wanted a new phone for a while. BB better hurry with a slider or it'll loose him also.
    Last edited by EWY; 01-30-13 at 10:58 PM.
    01-30-13 04:08 PM
41 12