I'm getting excited (like everyone else) about the launch of BB10. I really hope it catches fire, as I think the Blackberry product has a lot to offer but has been lagging behind for some time.

I'm a bit torn, however, as to whether I should get an L or N series device. Currently I use an iPhone, but my whole purpose in going back to a Blackberry (yes, I said "back") was for the physical keyboard. But all the leaks and excitement seem to concern the L series. My concern is that the N series will get the shaft, and that the BB10 experience will be somewhat muted on an N series device.

I realize that there's a lot to learn about both devices, so this may be premature, but I wanted to gauge everyone's thoughts on this subject.

Thanks--happy new year!
    12-28-12 08:34 AM
    If you truly want physical keyboard then stick to wait for N Series. But if you cannot wait any longer than March, then L Series is the option.
    12-28-12 08:39 AM
    Personally, I'm planning to wait until the N Series launches, then try out both phones in-store and see which one I prefer. If you can't wait however, then the L Series will be an excellent phone no doubt, and I don't think you'll regret buying it.
    GenTsoChicken likes this.
    12-28-12 09:45 AM
    I am a keyboard guy so I'm thinking of getting the N, but every leak of the new L makes me wonder if I should wait. It may come down to which device T-Mo offers first after my contact is up in February.
    12-28-12 10:38 AM
    I love the Touch screen as it has the big screen.. But at the same time, I love my Keyboard on my Bold 9900. I think I may wait until both devices are on the market and compare both my self.

Cheers
    jakie55 likes this.
    12-28-12 10:38 AM
    I am a keyboard guy so I'm thinking of getting the N, but every leak of the new L makes me wonder if I should wait. It may come down to which device T-Mo offers first after my contact is up in February.
    I'm also a T-Mo customer on Prepaid. I'm thinking of waiting to get an unlocked N-Series phone, whether it be the Nevada, Naples or Nashville models. Company bloatware is just annoying to me. My Torch 9800 was unlocked, and I'd get almost 2 days of battery life on a single charge, without apps running in the background. Whether that's the reason, either way, I'll be interested to see the entire series.
    metroside likes this.
    12-28-12 11:50 AM
    I'm a keyboard fan myself but since I'm staying afloat with my Curve 8900 which is on EDGE network. It's quite painful. I'm going to take a plunge and go with the Z10. If you are using the iPhone and want to come back to the N then you should definitely wait.

Regarding T-mobile, the burning question is will they offer the Z10 series right away. Hopefully RIM won't play the silly Exclusive-game with AT&T.
    12-28-12 12:16 PM
    Discussed this in an earlier thread (which I can't find now) lol. Depending on what is announced, "Thor" might answer you're question for you. I'm a keyboard person and the N or X or whatever letter their calling it this week series will probably work well for me. However, my current 9800 is on its last leg and unless they drop BOTH at nearly the same time, I will be getting the L / Z series first. I do feel I would be missing out on all that screen real estate of the Touchscreen version by getting the keyboard one though. If you're a diehard keyboard person, and can hold out till the N series is dropped, then get what you know works for you.
    Caymancroc and jakie55 like this.
    12-28-12 12:33 PM
    I'm getting excited (like everyone else) about the launch of BB10. I really hope it catches fire, as I think the Blackberry product has a lot to offer but has been lagging behind for some time.

I'm a bit torn, however, as to whether I should get an L or N series device. Currently I use an iPhone, but my whole purpose in going back to a Blackberry (yes, I said "back") was for the physical keyboard. But all the leaks and excitement seem to concern the L series. My concern is that the N series will get the shaft, and that the BB10 experience will be somewhat muted on an N series device.
    Many people are in a similar situation like you. First I'd like to adress your concerns about the "buzz" created around the "L" device. Well, RIM is very confident in terms of what people call the "QWERTY"-market, Thorsten Heins himself stated, "RIM owns this market". He is right. Considering HTC dropped any plans for future QWERTY devices, Nokia (despite the surveys of their customers!) stepped down and only produces Asha feature phones with physical keyboards. Whats left are some Android powered devices, which are mostly underpowered in terms of hardware and build quality is questionable. So it doesn't really make that much sense to conquer a market you already have.

What RIM needs to do is getting customers back they lost to Android, Apple and maybe Windows Phone. People who like those full-touch phones. I don't want to talk those Blackberry Torches bad, haven't used them too much, but it appears too many customers choose a different plattform when it comes to full-touch. So RIM needs to re-enter this market. Of course they are pushing the "L" devices, people need to know RIM re-invented their touch UX. This is really important if RIM wants to survive or, better, get back to their old strength. I sometimes browse some multi-plattform sites, when one of them posted the picture of the "N" keyboard, comments were like this:
    "Oh, just another Blackberry, RIM learns nothing!", "Who still wants this ****, people want new stuff, not an old Blackberry."
    Many people still don't get Blackberry10 will be a complete restart for RIM. If they hear either Blackberry or RIM, they can only think of the old, slow "typewriters" without good apps and small screens. Just seeing this keyboards brings them back to some old el-cheapo Curve memories they have.

I am a die-hard QWERTY fan myself and even I get somehow jealous by looking at all the "L" love around here. There are two full-touch Dev Alphas out there - but no QWERTY. We got plenty of high quality shots from all angles of the "L", yet only two very low quality pics of the "N". It almost appears like the Nevada turns out to be RIMs unwanted child. However I think the situation will really change after January 30th.

Bottom line?
    If you are really torn between two devices, just wait till both of them are available. Go into a store and check them out both, play around and decide which one you like better. The full-touch device will most likely give you the "full", new Blackberry experience. Since it features a higher resolution and a bigger screen it will be better for all entertainment stuff like gaming, videos and webbrowsing. However this is no different to todays situation. People who want to watch videos and are game freaks most likely won't buy a (rather) small screen device but go with the big displays. Now I don't want to say there won't be any games on the "N", but I simply guess there might be less stuff available for it. If you, like me, are a text heavy communication and writing guy, you most likely prefer this keyboard over any video apps and games.
    12-28-12 02:42 PM
    Many people are in a similar situation like you. First I'd like to adress your concerns about the "buzz" created around the "L" device. Well, RIM is very confident in terms of what people call the "QWERTY"-market, Thorsten Heins himself stated, "RIM owns this market". He is right. Considering HTC dropped any plans for future QWERTY devices, Nokia (despite the surveys of their customers!) stepped down and only produces Asha feature phones with physical keyboards. Whats left are some Android powered devices, which are mostly underpowered in terms of hardware and build quality is questionable. So it doesn't really make that much sense to conquer a market you already have.

What RIM needs to do is getting customers back they lost to Android, Apple and maybe Windows Phone. People who like those full-touch phones. I don't want to talk those Blackberry Torches bad, haven't used them too much, but it appears too many customers choose a different plattform when it comes to full-touch. So RIM needs to re-enter this market. Of course they are pushing the "L" devices, people need to know RIM re-invented their touch UX. This is really important if RIM wants to survive or, better, get back to their old strength. I sometimes browse some multi-plattform sites, when one of them posted the picture of the "N" keyboard, comments were like this:
    "Oh, just another Blackberry, RIM learns nothing!", "Who still wants this ****, people want new stuff, not an old Blackberry."
    Many people still don't get Blackberry10 will be a complete restart for RIM. If they hear either Blackberry or RIM, they can only think of the old, slow "typewriters" without good apps and small screens. Just seeing this keyboards brings them back to some old el-cheapo Curve memories they have.

I am a die-hard QWERTY fan myself and even I get somehow jealous by looking at all the "L" love around here. There are two full-touch Dev Alphas out there - but no QWERTY. We got plenty of high quality shots from all angles of the "L", yet only two very low quality pics of the "N". It almost appears like the Nevada turns out to be RIMs unwanted child. However I think the situation will really change after January 30th.

Bottom line?
    If you are really torn between two devices, just wait till both of them are available. Go into a store and check them out both, play around and decide which one you like better. The full-touch device will most likely give you the "full", new Blackberry experience. Since it features a higher resolution and a bigger screen it will be better for all entertainment stuff like gaming, videos and webbrowsing. However this is no different to todays situation. People who want to watch videos and are game freaks most likely won't buy a (rather) small screen device but go with the big displays. Now I don't want to say there won't be any games on the "N", but I simply guess there might be less stuff available for it. If you, like me, are a text heavy communication and writing guy, you most likely prefer this keyboard over any video apps and games.
    Very good post, you pretty much covered all the bases. I agree with you that either device, no matter which one goes for, will have a different experience of BB10. I too am more so a heavy texter and YouTube-er, as opposed to a mobile gamer or movie watcher. I prefer to do that on my laptop. From my experience with the Torch 9800 (granted, with OS6), mp3 file transfer was really simple. On Android, not so much. That's why even though I currently use an Android slider, I still use my Torch to listen to music on the go. Based on the BB Road Map, all three devices in the N-Series are scheduled for release at different points of the yearly quarters. I will be testing out all 3 for sure, before making my purchase. I'd be interested to see any potential white or silver versions of each device, assuming RIM has any planned.
    retomex likes this.
    12-28-12 03:23 PM
    Hi,

This is my dilemma too.. I will say that I think my "need" for a QWERTY keyboard may be a little misplaced.. I've used my two Torches for a while now and love it.. and I bought them explicitly because of (what I think in my opinion) is a very good balance between screen size and QWERTY keyboard... however, when I take a hard, honest look at my actual usage, I have to admit that I use my QWERTY keyboard far, far less than I thought I would.. not that I don't use it; only that's it's far, far less than I thought I would..

So, I'm wondering here again, if I am clinging onto what really is a flawed perception of my actual needs going forward.. Sure, I'd like to have a physical QWERTY keyboard, but I wonder if, given how much I've actually used it in the past (recognizing that past use may not be the same going forward under BB10 platform), that I'd be nett better off going Z-model than N-model and taking advantage of a larger screen-- something that I suspect will have a larger impact on my use and experience.

I think I'll have to wait and put both model "in hand" and see what works for me.. but as it stands now, what was my earlier steadfast idea that the N-model was the one for me, I think that I've become more open to the Z-model after a hard analytical look at what I really do and don't do with my BB now.
    jakie55 likes this.
    01-03-13 06:50 PM
    Seems like a good place for me to add my infrequent comment that, having used the Dev Alpha fairly heavily while testing my apps, I can type basically as well on it with just my right thumb as I can on my 9900 with both thumbs. (I haven't done an actual speed test yet, since I figure that should wait until there's a release version of the OS and my personal device has had time to "train" itself, since that does make a noticeable difference in accuracy and speed over the first week or so of use.)

I'm by no means one of those hyper-proficient 9900 people that you sometimes see, but I have had it as my regular phone for over a year and I'm not bad with it either. Last time I measured, some months back, I think I was around 40wpm.

I'll be trying both devices as well, but I'm pretty confident at this point that the all-touch model's virtual keyboard is so well done that I'll be very happy with it as the primary device, and will use an N only for testing my apps for the hardcore physical keyboard people to use.

The cool part is that the N's keyboard will be the best physical keyboard on the market, while the L's keyboard will be the best virtual keyboard on the market. Everyone wins!!!
    revtech and jakie55 like this.
    01-03-13 07:57 PM
    Seems like a good place for me to add my infrequent comment that, having used the Dev Alpha fairly heavily while testing my apps, I can type basically as well on it with just my right thumb as I can on my 9900 with both thumbs. (I haven't done an actual speed test yet, since I figure that should wait until there's a release version of the OS and my personal device has had time to "train" itself, since that does make a noticeable difference in accuracy and speed over the first week or so of use.)]
    I found myself being the same way. I used to swear up and down I'd never use an all touch phone because I type so much. The more I use the Dev Alpha (testing my apps and BBM), the more confident I am that I could go full touch. I've had an iPod touch for about a year and I still can't get the hang of typing on there, but whatever RIM is doing with the way the keyboard learning your typing touches - it's working.

Just to note I can't type on the Dev Alpha A to save my life, but on the Dev Alpha B it's a dream. Maybe its the slower processor in the A or something, but the B is fantastic.
    revtech and dimm0k like this.
    01-03-13 08:24 PM
    why not both?
    01-03-13 09:23 PM
    L series / Z10 for me
    01-03-13 10:49 PM
    Hi,

This is my dilemma too.. I will say that I think my "need" for a QWERTY keyboard may be a little misplaced.. I've used my two Torches for a while now and love it.. and I bought them explicitly because of (what I think in my opinion) is a very good balance between screen size and QWERTY keyboard... however, when I take a hard, honest look at my actual usage, I have to admit that I use my QWERTY keyboard far, far less than I thought I would.. not that I don't use it; only that's it's far, far less than I thought I would..

So, I'm wondering here again, if I am clinging onto what really is a flawed perception of my actual needs going forward.. Sure, I'd like to have a physical QWERTY keyboard, but I wonder if, given how much I've actually used it in the past (recognizing that past use may not be the same going forward under BB10 platform), that I'd be nett better off going Z-model than N-model and taking advantage of a larger screen-- something that I suspect will have a larger impact on my use and experience.

I think I'll have to wait and put both model "in hand" and see what works for me.. but as it stands now, what was my earlier steadfast idea that the N-model was the one for me, I think that I've become more open to the Z-model after a hard analytical look at what I really do and don't do with my BB now.
    You answered your own question wisely. If you're not In need of a new phone immediately, then try them out first. Also, do you use your phone more for business or personal use? As suggested to me, the keyboard would work well for the speed and accuracy of the business messages and emails I have to fire off daily. In my case, my 9800 is wearing out so I'm trying the Z and seeing how well I can adapt.
    01-03-13 10:54 PM
    I have the 9810, and RARELY use the screen keyboard. It is just too small, in my estimation. I however use the pkb about 95%, and love it. I have used touch screen keyboards, as I also own an Atrix. I never got the hang of swype on my wife's phone, but I sure like swiftkey 3 on the Atrix. (I understand that the BB10 keyboard is a form of swiftkey, if I am not mistaken) So which phone....pkb and small screen, or touch screen kb and large screen....a very hard decision...
    01-04-13 03:58 AM
    I have the 9810, and RARELY use the screen keyboard. It is just too small, in my estimation. I however use the pkb about 95%, and love it. I have used touch screen keyboards, as I also own an Atrix. I never got the hang of swype on my wife's phone, but I sure like swiftkey 3 on the Atrix. (I understand that the BB10 keyboard is a form of swiftkey, if I am not mistaken) So which phone....pkb and small screen, or touch screen kb and large screen....a very hard decision...
    I just switched to the 9810 again over the weekend....I hadn't used it for a while. What's really funny is that it makes my hand hurt. Just like when I first bought it.

Anyway, I'm going for the Z10. Unless something changes quite radically in the aesthetics of the X10, I won't buy it. Any device I get will be a straight out purchase, and I don't see myself tossing out the cash for a device that is just not making it for me.

I've gotten quite used to the touchscreen, so no issues there.
    01-04-13 04:06 AM
    I just switched to the 9810 again over the weekend....I hadn't used it for a while. What's really funny is that it makes my hand hurt. Just like when I first bought it.

Anyway, I'm going for the Z10. Unless something changes quite radically in the aesthetics of the X10, I won't buy it. Any device I get will be a straight out purchase, and I don't see myself tossing out the cash for a device that is just not making it for me.

I've gotten quite used to the touchscreen, so no issues there.
    Don't feel bad about getting the device you want to get. The Z10 is going to be a fine device too. I don't agree with your choice, but its a personal thing. You gotta get what is going to be comfortable to use. I mean, we all know how much we use our berries; if you end up with one that doesn't 'fit' your hand right or otherwise doesn't feel good then that's a bad purchase.
    metroside, peter9477 and jakie55 like this.
    01-04-13 08:08 AM
    I am a diehard keyboard user. Unless something magical happens with the virtual keyboard, I have to get the qwerty. I also am afraid that apps on the Qwerty will be compromised and may have been forgotten. Mega scroll apps will be fine - but the ones that require full touch dimensions might be left behind. Not sure how the UI will accommodate.

I really wish that they had taken all of the learnings from the 9810 and made a slider first so that keyboard people still had the same full screen experience as the all touch.
    01-04-13 08:18 PM
    What I want is a Torch slider with the Bold 9900's keyboard. 3.8-4" screen in the same package design as the 9800.
    jakie55 likes this.
    01-04-13 08:31 PM
    What I want is a Torch slider with the Bold 9900's keyboard. 3.8-4" screen in the same package design as the 9800.
    You just described my dream BB.

Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    revtech, Mrluky and jakie55 like this.
    01-04-13 09:09 PM
    They would need to slim down any eventual slider a lot from a 9800 if it is going to be wider and with a bigger display as otherwise it is going to be too bulky to appeal to enough of a market. Anyway, here's hoping that bb10 does well enough that even these more niche form factors become a viable option for them in the future.

Getting back to the question of the OP, I would suggest that they go out and try the vkb on the l-series as it really is that good and that is coming from somebody who has hated every vkb he has tried and has stuck with qwerty for over a decade now.
    jakie55 likes this.
    01-04-13 09:28 PM
    Funny, one of the main reasons I've stayed with BlackBerry all of these years is because of the "famous" Blackberry keypad and now I'm seriously thinking about the all touch BB10. I purchased the OEM PlayBook Bluetooth Mini Keyboard about 3 weeks ago and since then the only time I type on my 9930 is for BBM group conversations, all other typing is done on my Playbook keyboard. I've been using the Blackberry keypad for over 5 years, maybe its time for a change. I do know the BB10 ALL touch is SEXY looking and I want to feel her up ...
    jakie55 likes this.
    01-04-13 09:32 PM
    They would need to slim down any eventual slider a lot from a 9800 if it is going to be wider and with a bigger display as otherwise it is going to be too bulky to appeal to enough of a market. Anyway, here's hoping that bb10 does well enough that even these more niche form factors become a viable option for them in the future.
    That's why I suggested it be a 3.8" screen. Perhaps trim down the 9900's keyboard a tad for the slider. I'd rather have a slightly thicker phone if it meant proper aspect ratio screen and physical keyboard.
    anon(5506951) likes this.
    01-04-13 09:33 PM
41 12