Hold on, let me try again. *clears throat*

BlackBerry chose to launch it with one tiny store initially countrywide.
    That was always going to lead to these sorts of shenanigans. Everyone could see that, including Selfridges.
    This is a great PR stunt for Selfridges who can claim exclusivity for a major launch.

This is horrible for BlackBerry and a slap in the face to most of their customers.
    And it's not something any other major tech company in BlackBerry's position would do.
    So apparently it won't work unless it's spelled out... Blackberry gave a retail store the exclusive launch. Say what you will about that. Once it's at the store, that retail store, since they do not work for Blackberry and does not need to take orders from their staff or ask them how they should handle it, can do as they please with the launch. Including separating the line between single unit buyers and multiunit buyers... Just like with ANY retail store. Again, say what you will about their decision to give them an exclusive launch, but when you start claiming that Blackberry is setting up separate lines at the store as if they now control the store, I can't help but point out the folly of your statement. Let the facts support your theory, don't make up facts as a result of it. The only thing it does is harm the credibility of your statement.
    der_mit likes this.
    04-30-13 08:48 AM
    Here's the thing.

I've read articles upon articles about the sell out at Selfridges. I've also browsed a couple threads about it. This thread here is the only article/thread that I've seen have a negative spin on it. Everything else I've read is all positive. Some positivity is exactly what a struggling brand like BlackBerry needs. Maybe you are correct OP, maybe it was a marketing failure from a technical point of view, but if 99% of other people see it as positive, then I think the Selfridge sellout and selling practices was a good thing for BlackBerry.

Marketing is about communicating a product to customers. Right now the sell out is communicating that BlackBerry is in demand and coveted to 99% of people (as I've gathered from articles and responses in threads). If only 1% of the target audience (OP and likeminded people) thinks otherwise, well that's just the short coming of marketing: It doesn't effectively communicate to 100% of people. But hey, can't complain with 99%.
    04-30-13 09:49 AM
    Here's the thing.

I've read articles upon articles about the sell out at Selfridges. I've also browsed a couple threads about it. This thread here is the only article/thread that I've seen have a negative spin on it. Everything else I've read is all positive. Some positivity is exactly what a struggling brand like BlackBerry needs. Maybe you are correct OP, maybe it was a marketing failure from a technical point of view, but if 99% of other people see it as positive, then I think the Selfridge sellout and selling practices was a good thing for BlackBerry.

Marketing is about communicating a product to customers. Right now the sell out is communicating that BlackBerry is in demand and coveted to 99% of people (as I've gathered from articles and responses in threads). If only 1% of the target audience (OP and likeminded people) thinks otherwise, well that's just the short coming of marketing: It doesn't effectively communicate to 100% of people. But hey, can't complain with 99%.
    I believe these sell out reports are greatly exaggerated, I visited Selfridges on the 29 of april to purchase a q10, for a partner in one of our VC Funds. They told me they had over 200 units for sale, they also revealed to me that sales of the z10 were "robust" for the first month, then demand "collapsed", when pressed about "robust" demand he clarified; that meant significantly less than iPhone 5 or Samsung s3 sales.

He did mention low return rates for the z10.
    05-03-13 09:55 AM
28 12