I seem to be losing something in the order of about 15%-18% battery overnight in bedside mode, and also in sleep (with magnetic flip case). Surely this is not normal? That's a huge amount given that the phone is just sitting idle all night, right? I'm not too impressed with the battery life. On the earlier BB10 OS versions I would get a very steady 2 days between charges with medium usage (as far as I can surmise). The later OS seems to be more of a burden on battery life as I now only get about 1 day and a half and can't really risk not charging once a day. Hope 10.3 doesn't make it worse..

Posted via CB10
    05-19-14 06:39 PM
    I seem to be losing something in the order of about 15%-18% battery overnight in bedside mode, and also in sleep (with magnetic flip case). Surely this is not normal? That's a huge amount given that the phone is just sitting idle all night, right? I'm not too impressed with the battery life. On the earlier BB10 OS versions I would get a very steady 2 days between charges with medium usage (as far as I can surmise). The later OS seems to be more of a burden on battery life as I now only get about 1 day and a half and can't really risk not charging once a day. Hope 10.3 doesn't make it worse..

You did not post the OS build you are currently using.

I don't think 15-18% overnight is bad at all. If you sleep 8 hours and the battery depletes 15%, that's over 2 straight days of battery life while idle.

And modern smartphones are never actually idle anyway - they are always keeping email, calendar, notes, cloud, messaging and social media accounts synced and up to date, and notifying of new messages including SMS. And as you add more and more messages and data and events and files to those accounts, more and more data is being tracked and updated.

Also - check Android apps. Infamous battery drainers, many of them.
    05-19-14 07:05 PM
    You did not post the OS build you are currently using.

I don't think 15-18% overnight is bad at all. If you sleep 8 hours and the battery depletes 15%, that's over 2 straight days of battery life while idle.

And modern smartphones are never actually idle anyway - they are always keeping email, calendar, notes, cloud, messaging and social media accounts synced and up to date, and notifying of new messages including SMS. And as you add more and more messages and data and events and files to those accounts, more and more data is being tracked and updated.

Also - check Android apps. Infamous battery drainers, many of them.
    Sorry, yeah I'm running 10.2.1.2102. Yeah I know what you mean about them not actually being idle with all the syncing etc, but I only have 2 email accounts (one of them rarely gets mail) and I only have a few extra apps from BlackBerry world, and no android apps. I don't use the facebook app so no syncing there (I find the mobile version better via the browser) and no other social networking. Something I have noticed is slightly higher cpu usage compared to a while back when it would float around 3-4% with no active frames. These days it seems a little more erratic, jumping up to 24% say randomly, and floating nearer 7 or 8% - I find that a restart sometimes brings it down a bit, but never for very long. I would have expected my 'idle' battery life to be a bit more sturdy given my relatively minimalist set up.

Posted via CB10
    05-20-14 01:58 AM
    Sorry, yeah I'm running 10.2.1.2102. Yeah I know what you mean about them not actually being idle with all the syncing etc, but I only have 2 email accounts (one of them rarely gets mail) and I only have a few extra apps from BlackBerry world, and no android apps. I don't use the facebook app so no syncing there (I find the mobile version better via the browser) and no other social networking. Something I have noticed is slightly higher cpu usage compared to a while back when it would float around 3-4% with no active frames. These days it seems a little more erratic, jumping up to 24% say randomly, and floating nearer 7 or 8% - I find that a restart sometimes brings it down a bit, but never for very long. I would have expected my 'idle' battery life to be a bit more sturdy given my relatively minimalist set up.

My idle battery life tends to be a bit higher these days than with some of the earlier builds I was running but there are so many variables that play into that. A common one is which radio code you are using. (I'm on a build which was never certified for my carrier)

Personally it hasn't been a big enough problem for me to spend a bunch of time experimenting with different builds and radio firmware etc.

In terms of measurement, looking at the momentary stats in Device Monitor is really hard to gauge much, you really need something like Battery Guru or BaSA to get a sense of how much power is being drawn over time - I like the ability to see the current power draw in watts, makes it very easy to compare from day to day. Device Monitor is good for looking at an individual process or app though - if you click on an app you get a detailed history of CPU, battery and data transfer history for the app.

If you're not using the device at all overnight, one way to guarantee no battery usage is just power it down until you get up.

Or as a compromise, you can just shut off data overnight, see if that helps.

Though one person here using the same OS build you're running recently claims if he does that, his email accounts set for push (IMAP IDLE/Exchange ActiveSync) don't start "pushing" when he re-activates data. But I think that's probably unique to his situation, from what I can tell so far.
    05-20-14 02:23 AM
    Tonight I went ca. 23h30 to bed and woke up at 6h00.
    Inbetween my phone was left beside me and I forgot to plug it in....
    I lost about 20% of my Battery charge.
    I find it acceptable, since I recieved some mails overnight...
    When in Airplane mode, the "loss" is 1% per hour (if not 1% per 2 hours)...
    You can turn it into airplane mode (as effective as turning it off if you do not check your screen or your offline basic calendar/remember) over night...
    However, over the day, I rarely turn it into airplane mode. I usually plug it about 23h into the charger, off at 6h and at the end of the day, I still have 20-30% about 20h and about 15-20% at 22h by "normal"/moderate use.
    If surfing or playing (alot) during the day, I'd plug it in about 19-20h with about 10-15% left.
    I am satisfied with my Q10.
    Compared to Samsung or iPhone, I have definitively more time with the Q10.
    Here's a screenshot of my saying:

Fast idle battery drain?!!-img_20140520_082635.png

Posted via my BlackBerry*Q10, Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2102
    05-20-14 02:40 AM
    My idle battery life tends to be a bit higher these days than with some of the earlier builds I was running but there are so many variables that play into that. A common one is which radio code you are using. (I'm on a build which was never certified for my carrier)

Personally it hasn't been a big enough problem for me to spend a bunch of time experimenting with different builds and radio firmware etc.

In terms of measurement, looking at the momentary stats in Device Monitor is really hard to gauge much, you really need something like Battery Guru or BaSA to get a sense of how much power is being drawn over time - I like the ability to see the current power draw in watts, makes it very easy to compare from day to day. Device Monitor is good for looking at an individual process or app though - if you click on an app you get a detailed history of CPU, battery and data transfer history for the app.

If you're not using the device at all overnight, one way to guarantee no battery usage is just power it down until you get up.

Or as a compromise, you can just shut off data overnight, see if that helps.

Though one person here using the same OS build you're running recently claims if he does that, his email accounts set for push (IMAP IDLE/Exchange ActiveSync) don't start "pushing" when he re-activates data. But I think that's probably unique to his situation, from what I can tell so far.
    Cheers for the tips. I don't really want to turn the radios off overnight just in case I get an emergency call from family or something, and I use the alarm too. But if I turned data off, that would not stop calls right?

I might give the battery guru app you mentioned a try, maybe this will give me more insight.

Posted via CB10
    Xeak likes this.
    05-21-14 05:48 PM
    Tonight I went ca. 23h30 to bed and woke up at 6h00.
    Inbetween my phone was left beside me and I forgot to plug it in....
    I lost about 20% of my Battery charge.
    I find it acceptable, since I recieved some mails overnight...
    When in Airplane mode, the "loss" is 1% per hour (if not 1% per 2 hours)...
    You can turn it into airplane mode (as effective as turning it off if you do not check your screen or your offline basic calendar/remember) over night...
    However, over the day, I rarely turn it into airplane mode. I usually plug it about 23h into the charger, off at 6h and at the end of the day, I still have 20-30% about 20h and about 15-20% at 22h by "normal"/moderate use.
    If surfing or playing (alot) during the day, I'd plug it in about 19-20h with about 10-15% left.
    I am satisfied with my Q10.
    Compared to Samsung or iPhone, I have definitively more time with the Q10.
    Here's a screenshot of my saying:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140520_082635.png 
Views:	744 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	272109

Posted via my BlackBerry*Q10, Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2102
    Thanks for this. I don't really find the battery life to be terrible, just a tad worse than what I found with earlier OS builds. But also having said that, my battery capacity might have depleted a bit as I have had my Q10 since shortly after launch. Maybe i'll see how I get on with a brand new battery.

Overall, I really love this phone!

Posted via CB10
    05-21-14 05:53 PM
    Question in your email settings u have the option to set the email updates as push or manually buy minutes or hrs. It would make sense that if u were to have it on push it would be constantly looking for emails correct resulting in battery consumption, so changing that to manual were you select when it updates the emails would then in theory save you some battery correct

Posted via CB10
    05-21-14 07:29 PM
    Question in your email settings u have the option to set the email updates as push or manually buy minutes or hrs. It would make sense that if u were to have it on push it would be constantly looking for emails correct resulting in battery consumption, so changing that to manual were you select when it updates the emails would then in theory save you some battery correct
    "Push" is not "Pull" or "Polling". It's pretty battery efficient unless you are trying to sync a mailbox going back to 1990, 10,000 contacts, 10 accounts and 100 email folders.

05-22-14 09:06 AM
    OK cool thanks so I'll just leave it the way it came with my Z30, cheers

Posted via CB10
    05-22-14 09:17 AM
    [QUOTE=InfinityBob;10381987]Cheers for the tips. I don't really want to turn the radios off overnight just in case I get an emergency call from family or something, and I use the alarm too. But if I turned data off, that would not stop calls right?[/QUOTE ]

You can just turn off carrier data and WiFi - won't affect phone calls.

I might give the battery guru app you mentioned a try, maybe this will give me more insight.
    I highly recommend it.

You can track a lot of things in the native "Device Monitor" in OS 10.2.1 and up, but I still think Battery Guru is handier for getting a quick picture of current and historical battery usage. Bear in mind you need to leave it running in an active frame so it can track usage over time.

Tip: it updates periodically - every few seconds - and the numeric display is the current "instantaneous" total load which has a "slow acceleration rate". If you pick up the phone and quickly maximize the app it will show you what the idle drain was before you woke up the screen. If you wait too long to look at it, it will start updating the figure to reflect the screen backlight now operating and no longer represent idle drain. You also have a historical and movable graph of usage.

If I pick it up after its been sitting on the desk for an hour and it tells me the power consumption is 0.03 watt, that's excellent. These days the lowest idle figure I generally see on my Z10s is about 0.05 watt.

What is amazing is being able to see things change before your eyes, like how much of your charger's power doesn't get to your phone battery when you switch from a good USB cable to a lousy USB cable.
    05-22-14 09:20 AM
    OK cool thanks so I'll just leave it the way it came with my Z30, cheers
    Don't forget other classic battery draining apps, eg Facebook, Twitter, Waze, Ebay, WhatsApp, Viber, anything cloud-syncing like Evernote, Dropbox/Box, location services/maps/fitness trackers, other messaging apps, etc...
    05-22-14 09:24 AM
    I've noticed a couple of people saying a wipe cleans things up and improves battery life. Hmmm or maybe they re-loaded the OS. Regardless, is there any truth to this?

Posted via CB10
    05-31-14 01:34 PM
    My Q10 runs 10.2.1.2674, and previously *2195. Battery drains very close to 1%/hour while asleep.
    05-31-14 03:44 PM