I've been struggling along with a broken micro USB port on my otherwise pretty good shape Q10. Back when it broke none of the cell repair shops could fix it because they couldn't get the port. So it just so happens that I was browsing on amazon & I found not one, but five vendors selling it! I ordered it of course! ;-)

What is a reasonable price of the labor to install it? I haven't asked the local shops until I have the actual part in hand...

Just my $.02, YMMV ! ;-) sent via my Q10
    06-21-19 11:38 PM
    I've been struggling along with a broken micro USB port on my otherwise pretty good shape Q10. Back when it broke none of the cell repair shops could fix it because they couldn't get the port. So it just so happens that I was browsing on amazon & I found not one, but five vendors selling it! I ordered it of course! ;-)

What is a reasonable price of the labor to install it? I haven't asked the local shops until I have the actual part in hand...

$50-$100 depending on the shop.
    06-22-19 03:45 AM
    Ouch! What's the going rate of a good condition Q10 these days?

06-23-19 05:40 PM
    You can find them pretty cheap on Ebay. I've gotten them for $40CAD and lower. Go with a reputable seller, of course, and I wouldn't pay more than 40 given the state of BB10. Still cheaper than replacing the port!

Posted via CB10
    06-23-19 06:40 PM

probably less since they are EOL devices that many people just have lying around and not in use. Think someone quoted $60 for one the other day
    06-23-19 06:49 PM

If anybody else had asked the question, I would have responded with:

Buy a Key # device etc or if you want a Q10, Classic or Passport for BB10, just buy a used device since they're EOL soon and it would be cheaper than fixing your existing device.

We've been having this conversation for at least one year now and maybe two years. I really answered intentionally with fix your existing device because:

You've considered Passport, maybe even bought one and I don't think you've been able to backup and transfer all your stuff to another BB10 hardware because of the port issue.

If you buy someone else's Q10, how long will their former device last until something including port, break? Transferring and backing up problem still isn't fixed to go from old device to new device.

Everyone here will remember, I'm not a "keep using BB10" solution kind of guy. There are like 3-5 people here on CB that I'll respectfully not bash in the head anymore to move on to Key # hardware because they've explained a rational use case for themselves.

So my buddy scubafan, based on your unique situation just fix the one you got.
    @bb10adopter111 and @TrumpetTiger occasionally I suggest a BB10 solution...

Also share your thoughts with scubafan if you have any other solutions

For those of you that remember carjackd, I just thought of him. RIP CB friend
    06-23-19 07:07 PM
    Your better option would be to buy a second device like q10 or classic. If you want to transfer stuff to say a key one or Key2 you can get something like this from a local repair shop for $15

Lrker Universal USB Wall Travel Spare Battery Charger with Green LCD Indicator for LG G4,G3,G2,Sumsung Galaxy Note 4 3 2,S5 S3, Huawei HTC Moto Nokia,etc https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B013UVRFBW/...UvbUpU13407896

Then charge the battery and use BlackBerry content transfer to move your stuff over.

Another option is you can buy a q10 broken screen on eBay and move its motherboard to your broken phone. Although you will lose your data in this option
    06-23-19 07:21 PM
    If anybody else had asked the question, I would have responded with:

Buy a Key # device etc or if you want a Q10, Classic or Passport for BB10, just buy a used device since they're EOL soon and it would be cheaper than fixing your existing device.

We've been having this conversation for at least one year now and maybe two years. I really answered intentionally with fix your existing device because:

You've considered Passport, maybe even bought one and I don't think you've been able to backup and transfer all your stuff to another BB10 hardware because of the port issue.

If you buy someone else's Q10, how long will their former device last until something including port, break? Transferring and backing up problem still isn't fixed to go from old device to new device.

Everyone here will remember, I'm not a "keep using BB10" solution kind of guy. There are like 3-5 people here on CB that I'll respectfully not bash in the head anymore to move on to Key # hardware because they've explained a rational use case for themselves.

So my buddy scubafan, based on your unique situation just fix the one you got.
    @bb10adopter111 and @TrumpetTiger occasionally I suggest a BB10 solution...

Also share your thoughts with scubafan if you have any other solutions

For those of you that remember carjackd, I just thought of him. RIP CB friend
    Chuck, I am impressed. A little surprised, but impressed.
    @scubafan:

If your current Q10 still boots, I'd actually suggest using Ultimate Backup to back up your data and then transferring via SD card to a new Q10 device, as that will likely cost you less overall. With that said, feel free to check with your local cellular repair shops. I'd say it might be a wash as you can get a Q10 for about the $50-$75 it will cost to repair your existing one.
    06-23-19 09:51 PM
    Chuck, I am impressed. A little surprised, but impressed.
    @scubafan:

If your current Q10 still boots, I'd actually suggest using Ultimate Backup to back up your data and then transferring via SD card to a new Q10 device, as that will likely cost you less overall. With that said, feel free to check with your local cellular repair shops. I'd say it might be a wash as you can get a Q10 for about the $50-$75 it will cost to repair your existing one.
    I believe others have suggested Ultimate Backup and there’s some reason scubafan hasn't done that already.
    06-24-19 06:38 AM
    I paid CAD80 including the port from a local shop last year. Dropped it off and retrieved it an hour later. Still working just fine

Posted via CB10
    07-13-19 08:05 PM
    If you do it yourself a couple dollars and if you go to a shop arround 30 to 60

Posted from my favorite Q10
    07-14-19 01:23 PM
    Spending over $15 to fix a Q10 USB port is madness.

If you're gonna spend anything above that, might as well grab another battery and put it in the phone just to have enough time to back everything up, and then buy a used Classic for like $40 or maybe even less
    07-14-19 02:41 PM