Hey everyone

I'm seriously considering moving from Android (Nexus 4) to the Q10. However, before I make such a big change I wanted to hear your stories. Managed to find some iPhone 5 converts here in this forum, but not those coming from Android.

So, what kind of problems have you faced after leaving Android? Was it just hardware wise (smaller screen) or were there some software stuff you had to deal with? And in the end, was it worth it?

Thanks!
    08-17-13 02:44 PM
    I still have android (my other phone) and every time I unlock it I a get mad - slow, wait, re-loads...
    However, I am not a heavy app user. I actually have downloaded only 4-5 apps on the Q10. So if you need apps - thats your problem.

Posted via CB10
    08-17-13 02:49 PM
    Why the Q10 and not the Z10?? It logically makes more sense for you to go from the nexus 4 to Z10 or even the upcoming Z30

Posted via CB10
    08-17-13 02:51 PM
    I have had the htc one and q10 and had to make a choice which to give up. The q10 was absolutely amazing for work and emails and just productivity. But whenever I only had my q10 with me I always felt like something was missing. It was the apps and widgets and all. Blackberry apps isn't that great but do able. I kept my HTC one cause It's my favorite phone ever but I'm missing the q10 so freaking bad I'm trying to get another one off contract. $600 was just too much for me. I would pay $350-$400 for it though cause it really is an amazing phone and blackberry did a great job

Sent from my HTC One
    DrSoupDragon likes this.
    08-17-13 02:53 PM
    Why the Q10 and not the Z10?? It logically makes more sense for you to go from the nexus 4 to Z10 or even the upcoming Z30

Posted via CB10
    I'm leaving Android because of the keyboard. Even after 2+ years I still haven't gotten used to virtual keyboards. They suck, specially on Android. Also, since I mostly use my phone to read reddit and answer emails - the Q10 should do just fine.

@DS1331
    Were/are you a heavy user? What do you do most on your HTC One?

@djsvetljo
    Nexus 4 is pretty fast and I can't really complain about the speed. But yeah, even after all these years Android isn't as refined/smooth as BB10, iOS or even WP8
    08-17-13 02:56 PM
    I'm leaving Android because of the keyboard. Even after 2+ years I still haven't gotten used to virtual keyboards. They suck, specially on Android. Also, since I mostly use my phone to read reddit and answer emails - the Q10 should do just fine.

@DS1331
    Were/are you a heavy user? What do you do most on your HTC One?

@djsvetljo
    Nexus 4 is pretty fast and I can't really complain about the speed. But yeah, even after all these years Android isn't as refined/smooth as BB10, iOS or even WP8
    Well I can assure you that the Z10 virtual keyboard is one of the best if not the best in the market.

Posted via CB10
    08-17-13 02:59 PM
    You will love Reddit In Motion. It's an awesome BB10 app.

Posted via CB10
    Shantanu Gupta likes this.
    08-17-13 03:00 PM
    Well I would email a lot if I had a physical keyboard but other then that I read lots and lots of news apps and watch some YouTube videos sometimes and Facebook and Twitter once in a while. And duh also make calls for work. I work in a fast pace environment so when I had the q10 I felt like I was flying with just how everything is so productive on the phone.

Sent from my HTC One
    08-17-13 03:02 PM
    Q10 has a better battery life then the z10. I'm using the z10 and i wish that my battery would last longer.

Also the physical keyboard is the best for emails. On the Z10 the swipe function is awesome and even faster than when i use my keyboard. The problem with the swipe is sometimes long paragraphs can get off track because you are using the suggested words rather than the ideal words.

Posted via CB10
    08-17-13 03:06 PM
    Well I can assure you that the Z10 virtual keyboard is one of the best if not the best in the market.
    I've seen many people say the same thing - I believe them. However, I'd still rather go with a physical keyboard. I'll never forget my days with the Bold 9000. I'd used to write longer emails and SMS messages just because it was so damn cool and fun. Now I avoid sending emails from my phone just because I hate typing on it. It's very likely that you're able to type faster on the Z10 than I'll be able to type on the Q10, but it doesn't matter - I'll have more fun doing it.

I work in a fast pace environment so when I had the q10 I felt like I was flying with just how everything is so productive on the phone.
    Same here. I'm a community manager who's expected to be online pretty much all the time. Right now 90% of time I use my Nexus for procrastination...looking to turn that around

Q10 has a better battery life then the z10. I'm using the z10 and i wish that my battery would last longer.
    This is another thing. People are saying Q10 can easily last for 2 days of moderate use. My Nexus 4 on the other hand struggles with just 1 day of moderate-to-heavy use.
    08-17-13 03:13 PM
    Yea unreal battery and keyboard. Seriously the only reasons ive stuck with the Q10. BlackBerry just really needs to start leveraging keyboards shortcuts more. I think the dev tools are missing at the moment too, so once those open up devs will make some amazing shortcut apps, just like on OS7.

Posted via CB10
    08-17-13 03:22 PM
    I don't know if I could live with just the Q10. The physical keyboard is the big selling point for me. Five years with virtual keyboards, both iOS and Android. Still hate em. Swype helps but still nothing like a good BB physical. So for that the Q10 is perfect for me. And I like the gestures navigating. It felt very natural and intuitive from the get go. But I'm too reliant on the Android eco-system to abandon it completely. Just a matter of time though. We're almost there. I should add that I've never owned a Z10. Played with one. Didn't really notice a big difference in the virtual KB. But not really a fair evaluation. The phone just never really interested me. In my mind BB = physical keyboard. A prejudiced view admitted.
    pnimmer7 likes this.
    08-17-13 03:23 PM
    I don't know if I could live with just the Q10. The physical keyboard is the big selling point for me. Five years with virtual keyboards, both iOS and Android. Still hate em. Swype helps but still nothing like a good BB physical. So for that the Q10 is perfect for me. And I like the gestures navigating. It felt very natural and intuitive from the get go. But I'm too reliant on the Android eco-system to abandon it completely. Just a matter of time though. We're almost there. I should add that I've never owned a Z10. Played with one. Didn't really notice a big difference in the virtual KB. But not really a fair evaluation.
    What are the things you just can't leave on Android? Some specific aps, games, something else?

The phone just never really interested me. In my mind BB = physical keyboard. A prejudiced view admitted.
    I'm basically the same, haven't even considered the Z10. From what I've read it just doesn't seem worth switching OS's. A physical keyboard though...that's a pretty good reason.

Sounds to me that a Q10 and an Android on the side make a perfect combination.
    08-17-13 03:29 PM
    I can't give up my Note 2 due to a few apps. A big one right now is my Pebble app. My watch is such a tool now since I don't need to check my phone as much since any notifications I get I can have sent to my phone. Currently I have glance on my pebble and it provides a lot of information. I also like the fact I can control my music and even the volume while at the gym without ever having to pull my phone out.

I also guess my Dish app that I'm using right now as I'm taking a break from out of town school clothes shopping.

Ex Android owners, how do you like your Q10?-img_00000012.jpg

Ex Android owners, how do you like your Q10?-img_00000013.jpg

Posted via CB10
    Donvald likes this.
    08-17-13 03:39 PM
    What are the things you just can't leave on Android? Some specific aps, games, something else?

I'm basically the same, haven't even considered the Z10. From what I've read it just doesn't seem worth switching OS's. A physical keyboard though...that's a pretty good reason.

Sounds to me that a Q10 and an Android on the side make a perfect combination.
    So BBRY failed at their attempt to get people to use just one phone. Is it still apps?
    08-17-13 03:47 PM
    I didn't move to a Q10, but a Z10 instead. However, I've extensively used a Q10 (work at a dealer) and aside from some quirks with the bezel and the lack if screen rotation, the experience us essentially the same.

I used android since my first smart phone. Began with HTC, did a Samsung, a Nexus, a Galaxy Tab and back to an HTC. Even tried a windows phone. My Z10 was my first BlackBerry phone ever, so I have no brand loyalty to it. But I'll say with confidence that BlackBerry has earned my loyalty. I'm obsessed with my Z10. It is amazingly functional. It has a very very limited app base by comparison. Yes. HOWEVER, the bb10 OS does SO much as is. This OS is deep, integrated, and full of features others (iPhone, Android) can only access via third party apps.

I can't recommend it more.

Yes, there are bugs. So did Android when it new. But 10.1 brought amazing features (remote access!) and 10.2 bring even more. BlackBerry knows they have to app base, so they're giving is an OS that does 75% of what you want it to do anyway.

Take the plunge.

My gf thinks I love my Z10 more than her... she's on to me.
    gwzach, dusdal, gashb3ll and 2 others like this.
    08-17-13 03:58 PM
    I, too, went from an android to a z10 and I don't miss the android at all. a big plus (for me), no more spamming the back key. also, no more wasting time screwing around with custom roms and stuff, to improve battery life and efficiency.
    duude88 likes this.
    08-17-13 04:45 PM
    I still have Android (and I like Android). I also have an iPad. I also have Blackberry for more than 10 years. I now have a Bold 9900 and Z10. The Z10 has the BEST operating system of any smartphone, period. I'm entitled to an opinion, am I not?
    Oscar_E, melb_me, wincyUt and 2 others like this.
    08-17-13 04:46 PM
    I still have Android (and I like Android). I also have an iPad. I also have Blackberry for more than 10 years. I now have a Bold 9900 and Z10. The Z10 has the BEST operating system of any smartphone, period. I'm entitled to an opinion, am I not?
    Honestly, I find people with experience with multiple platforms a lot more objective than hardcore BlackBerry/Android/iOS fans. Some opinions are more valuable than others...to me anyway.

PS: Which Android phone do you have/use? Also, for what do you use it (considering you have two other phones)?

Thanks!

EDIT:
    A question for ex-Android owners. Do you guys sideload apps onto your new BlackBerry? If yes, how well that does that work? I read somewhere that about 70% of apps work well. Is that correct?
    Last edited by duude88; 08-17-13 at 06:07 PM.
    08-17-13 05:54 PM
    Honestly, I find it easier to trust a person like you who has experience with multiple platforms than a die hard BlackBerry/Android/iOS fan. Some opinions are more valuable than others...

PS: Which Android phone do you have/use? Also, for what do you use it (considering you have two other phones)?

Thanks!

EDIT:
    A question for ex-Android owners. Do you guys sideload apps onto your new BlackBerry? If yes, how well that does that work? I read somewhere that about 70% of apps work well. Is that correct?
    Who are you referring to here?

08-17-13 05:58 PM
    Who are you referring to here?
    Was referring to mikr009876, forgot to quote, sorry. Btw, I modified my reply. It's more readable now.

Mine is going nuts with all the cellphone talk. I bought the Nexus 4 just 2-3 months ago. She can't believe I'm looking to buy a new one
    stitter70 likes this.
    08-17-13 06:05 PM
    Lol my girlfriend used to yell at me for buying new cell phones every 6-8 months too. Needless to say I am not with her anymore

Sent from my HTC One
    menaknow and wanted198 like this.
    08-17-13 06:17 PM
    Love it. It's a pretty nice phone had both.

Posted from Q10 from CB10 running 10.2.0.1047
    08-17-13 06:27 PM
    I have both an Android (Nexus-4) and the Q10. Both are active and have active subscriptions.

I like both for different reasons. If you want a device to type messages, chat, send SMS, read e-mail, and do fairly basic things in Facebook (check-in, comment on status, update your status, upload photos), read/post Tweets on Twitter, the Q10 outpeforms my Nexus-4. I like the real keyboard of my Q10 and even though I've had multiple virtual onscreen keyboard phones (iPhone 3GS, Nexus-S, Nexus-4), I've never really gotten used to typing messages on the virtual keyboard. I'm also someone who types long messages so a real keyboard like on the Q10 does help.

If you are into applications, the Nexus-4 outshines the Q10.
    edyts and duude88 like this.
    08-17-13 06:54 PM
    I had my personal blackberry 9900 and a Samsung galaxy s2 as my work phone which I hated and now that I've been upgraded to a q10 and left my s2 in the cabinet I couldn't be happier.
    duude88 likes this.
    08-17-13 11:59 PM
65 123