Apologies in advance, if as it is most likely, for not posting in the correct location . . . Also, please understand, I am happy with my phones - stunning solutions for my needs. And last but not least, I have used all the platforms, safe MS and have no axe to grind.

As I read the read the Q forum, and other BB10 pages, the amount of support for the Q and BB is apparent. Everyone I meet without a BB, constantly teases me about using a BB and often challenges me to perform tasks deemed impossible for the Q. Granted, some tasks are not done well, such as watching a movie. Indeed I do have movies on the Q. Yet, for the most part, the Q meets and usually exceeds all expectations. The follow up comment is often, "I wish I had known" or "why wasn't the phone advertised" or when I have the Zed on the weekends, "didn't know BB copied the iPhone 6".

Notwithstanding the above and all the water under the bridge and what I believe to be most recent mis-steps and incompetence, I think the market and users would be happier if BB simply clearly stated an end of life and road map for the Q and other phones. In fact, it might actually assist BB with the loyal users and even the users upset about the manner of the Playbook upgrades. Some users might just stay with BB, shift and make Blandroid a success. Intentional indecision and waffling will no doubt do more harm than good. And those that currently use the phone, consumer or enterprise, can plan accordingly. Gosh forbid, it might even drive positive decisions, and as a consequence the result might even allow BB to reconsider or modify its strategy to EOL BB10.

Just a thought.....

On a separate note, I also fail to understand the drive to save the handset division. No doubt, I am mistaken, but BB does not manufacturer. It would seem there are no more designers, and I assume Mr. Chen would effectively leverage the OEM manufacturers designers, engineers, stock components etc to create any new Blandroid phones as cheaply as possible. Finally, the OS is, with the exception of minor tweaks that only appear to delay the release of Android updates, a stock OS. So, is there really a "handset" division to save? Granted there may be a company to save, but at this juncture, I fail to see a "handset division". BB handsets have moved more to the commodity side of the equation with little point of differentiation.
    01-21-16 12:07 AM
    As in every purchase, the USER is responsible for researching what the average shelf life is for their new purchase BEFORE they buy it. The user should look into the future for their device, the health of the company that markets it and trends, etc. Isn't that what you do before you buy a new car, tv or some other large purchase? Why should BB have to announce EOL?
    As in every purchase, the USER is responsible for researching what the average shelf life is for their new purchase BEFORE they buy it. The user should look into the future for their device, the health of the company that markets it and trends, etc. Isn't that what you do before you buy a new car, tv or some other large purchase? Why should BB have to announce EOL?
    bbnrs likes this.
    01-21-16 05:02 AM
    BlackBerry's EOL announcement will depend on what its customers do, but potential new customers want to know all this before they support BlackBerry. I didnt read the OP's post in the same kind of slant as your answer at all. #1, I wouldn't consider buying a phone in the same league as purchasing a car, heck the phones only average $100-200 for the most part. #2, 99% of the current posts here are all about how long is BlackBerry going to last and should I buy one now.

it's the main topic of the day. if people do research first the odds don't look good, so it's about the phone and not about the odds that production will or will not continue.

jump in. head first. buy now. while they're here. buy as many as you can. that's my advice.
    workittywork likes this.
    01-22-16 01:11 PM
    "Why should BB have to announce EOL?" How true. I don't recall any technology concern giving a EOL pronouncement about THEIR product. That surely would deter present and future demand for THEIR product.
    ChrisLeNeve likes this.
    01-22-16 01:51 PM
    I think my intent has been misunderstood.

I only meant a more positive pro-active communications as a means to retain loyal customers. BB and of late Mr. Chen have never been adroit at creating positive, effective communications. By being more pro-active, and dropping the "we might stop handset production" message, hard won customers may just elect to shift to Blandroid.

As for examples, there are many where manufacturers have developed road maps to manage expectations and shift consumption to newer products.
    01-24-16 07:52 PM
    The ambiguity is intentional. There is no other conclusion that can be drawn. It is deliberate dishonesty. And with Chen's recent statements at CES or blog entry or whatever being spun as a retraction of all of the clear actions to the contrary, the dishonesty goes up to the top.

Posted via CB10
    01-25-16 07:35 AM
    I think my intent has been misunderstood.

I only meant a more positive pro-active communications as a means to retain loyal customers. BB and of late Mr. Chen have never been adroit at creating positive, effective communications. By being more pro-active, and dropping the "we might stop handset production" message, hard won customers may just elect to shift to Blandroid.

As for examples, there are many where manufacturers have developed road maps to manage expectations and shift consumption to newer products.
    I am able to compare Blackberry's action of late in the same manner as the government handles everything (in secret and behind closed doors, keeping everyone in the dark).

Posted using an almost fully functioning Q10, 10.3.2.2474.
    01-25-16 10:17 AM