Right, it's the full-size, full-touch screens that are selling because mobile media content has exploded.
    Rim is catering to that audience with the z10 while still not ignoring the physical qwerty market by producing a bb10 bold, which seems a sensible approach when the bold was vastly more popular than the torch as a form factor.
    01-29-13 12:11 PM
    So if you sold a touch model that has such a fantastic Keyboard that it makes Physical Keyboards obsolete would you undermine the sales of this device by adding a physical keyboard. I think that when it comes to Sliders ... RIM should just say " Get with the program".
    If the bb10 market expands to such an extent that they can support a more niche form factor then I am sure we will see a slider turn up at some point, but I personally do not expect that it will be part of those six devices mentioned for this year.
    01-29-13 12:12 PM
    Renders... Yawn. I want to see the REAL thing!!!
    ohsoverymuchTHIS.
    01-29-13 01:48 PM
    Don't worry, RIM said that there will be at least 6 devices coming out in 2013. I bet one of them is a slider.
    I hope so. I dont think its asking for much.
    01-29-13 08:01 PM
    Could they make a BB10 phone without fragmenting their line up anymore?
    01-29-13 08:09 PM
    Desi Fly - 5% is a a mini-niche. Secondly, Torch 10 sales would probably be at the expense of X 10 sales. The X 10 should satisfy you I think. Sliders are heavier and not as reliable (moving parts).
    01-29-13 08:34 PM
    Yes, it is a must have power user, International traveler like myself. I will try the the virtual keyboard of the Z10, primarily because of the the swipe up feature, but past experience says it will slow me down. The swipe up feature could be implemented above the keyboard on the X10, which would be useful.
    01-30-13 02:54 AM
    Exactly, which is why I'd love to have a BB10 slider.
    Yes, a slider would be prefect. I don't use AT&T so I could never use the Torch slider, but the Bold 9900 keyboard is better that the Torch anyway. I have seen renders of a BB10 slider that looks great, right down to the Bold style keyboard
    01-30-13 03:01 AM
    Desi Fly - 5% is a a mini-niche. Secondly, Torch 10 sales would probably be at the expense of X 10 sales. The X 10 should satisfy you I think. Sliders are heavier and not as reliable (moving parts).
    This is the crucial reason why we almost certainly won't see a slider in those first six devices, from rim's perspective, each new model has to offer something different and be expanding the market from bb10 and not simply moving sales from one device to another which is why things like a curve model and eventually a much larger device are clearly going to happen, but something like a slider will be further off when they hope that even smaller niches can result in enough sales to support another form factor.
    01-30-13 04:05 AM
    Nope.

Unless there are major changes to this design I won't get this. And since there are no hints that the design will change, I could safely say that I'll go with the Z10.

I'll probably get this one at work.
    01-30-13 04:16 AM
    Right, it's the full-size, full-touch screens that are selling because mobile media content has exploded.
    not really. Curves are easily one of the biggest selling blackberrys.
    01-30-13 04:18 AM
    Don't worry, RIM said that there will be at least 6 devices coming out in 2013. I bet one of them is a slider.
    I assumed the six devices would include variations of the Z10, X10, and the Curve replacement. For example, the Bold 9900 and 9930 would count as two devices. I would love to see BB compete in the fast growing "phablet" market segment. The Note 2 is red hot right now and it looks like the new Galaxy S4 is going to have a 5" screen. The timimg could not be better for a new player in that segment. I still want the N series for work, but I'm not as enthusistice about it as I was a couple months ago.
    01-30-13 06:08 AM
    This is the crucial reason why we almost certainly won't see a slider in those first six devices, from rim's perspective, each new model has to offer something different and be expanding the market from bb10 and not simply moving sales from one device to another which is why things like a curve model and eventually a much larger device are clearly going to happen, but something like a slider will be further off when they hope that even smaller niches can result in enough sales to support another form factor.
    I see your point, but it shouldnt be too much to ask to keep with the current trend of BB's being built now. We are not asking to re-invent, as we can see in the X-10. A slider should be one of the six. Its ONLY six phones, not the 40 or so pumped out by android. Rim should accomondate the users needs and wants..
    01-30-13 06:43 AM
    I see your point, but it shouldnt be too much to ask to keep with the current trend of BB's being built now. We are not asking to re-invent, as we can see in the X-10. A slider should be one of the six. Its ONLY six phones, not the 40 or so pumped out by android. Rim should accomondate the users needs and wants..
    The current trend was part of the problem though, too many variants that were just stealing sales from each other.
    01-30-13 07:11 AM
    Exactly, which is why I'd love to have a BB10 slider.
    From a 1x 9800 and 2x 9810 owner...the slider was the best of both worlds but I must admit that additional screen size was always desirable. I provide technical support via BBM, SMS and emails all day long. I was about to convert to the lightside and switch to the Galaxy S3 because of the constant soreness in my thumbs before this.

I for one am looking forward to the predictive display and remaining in the DarkSide while serving the RIMpire.

may the force be with us...
    01-30-13 07:17 AM
    The current trend was part of the problem though, too many variants that were just stealing sales from each other.
    I am a slider(9810) owner, and I feel It was a very good mix of both. If the slider was made available on all carriers I dont think we would be having this conversation . Cutting down on models is necessary for Rim in their current financial situation, but it is the user/customers who are paying the cost. Hopefully one will come further down the road and the platform not be totally abandoned.
    Last edited by rottonj; 01-30-13 at 07:42 AM. Reason: spelling
    01-30-13 07:22 AM
    If the virtual KB is as good as they say the slider is not needed. Everyone but us can type really well on Iphones, with one hand on a moving bus. We can adapt too ... we just don't want to. We will see maybe they will have a slider but as a business proposition it doesn't make sense. To make a good slider would have required a lot of R & D dollars that RIM lacks. I would rather RIM build a 3.5 inch screen X10 than a slider.
    01-30-13 07:54 AM
    I just don't get why, in 2013, this form factor even exists. Smartphones have moved on to video clips, games, and even movies...IMO BB10 should be launching with full-touch and slider--keyboard when it really is more convenient, touch for everything else. Having a permanent keyboard, albeit small, is the worst of both worlds: compromised screen real estate and a cramped keyboard. Is this an answer to a question nobody really asked?
    Because no one makes a slider that works. All the current landscape sliding phones are horrible when trying to open the keyboard with your right hand. It is just not natural.

And as others have said emails on a physical qwerty are SO much easier. I am still making mistakes on my iPhone 5 that just wouldn't happen on a physical qwerty. **** they shouldn't happen on a touchscreen keyboard either but I type fast.
    01-30-13 08:02 AM
    If the virtual KB is as good as they say the slider is not needed. Everyone but us can type really well on Iphones, with one hand on a moving bus. We can adapt too ... we just don't want to. We will see maybe they will have a slider but as a business proposition it doesn't make sense. To make a good slider would have required a lot of R & D dollars that RIM lacks. I would rather RIM build a 3.5 inch screen X10 than a slider.
    Well that is your opinion, and you are entitlted to it. I dont agree but since this is a great day for BB I will move on to the next topic. Cheers
    Bbnivende likes this.
    01-30-13 08:09 AM
    just wait like 50 minutes
    01-30-13 08:25 AM
    Like the back... very thin device. Wonder about the battery...
    01-30-13 09:37 AM
    well it's the "Q"(werty) 10 for those keeping score...
    01-30-13 10:29 AM
    Because no one makes a slider that works. All the current landscape sliding phones are horrible when trying to open the keyboard with your right hand. It is just not natural.

And as others have said emails on a physical qwerty are SO much easier. I am still making mistakes on my iPhone 5 that just wouldn't happen on a physical qwerty. **** they shouldn't happen on a touchscreen keyboard either but I type fast.
    RIM/Blackberry has made a portrait slider called the Torch 9800 and Torch 9810. As an owner, I can promise you it works wonderfully, and slides open easily with one hand. The only problem with the Torch 9810 is that its hardware doesn't support BB10, otherwise I'd be buying another in a heartbeat.
    01-30-13 07:57 PM
48 12