Is there any impact to performance after the device is encrypted? I'm trying to determine if it's worth it. Also, I read somewhere that someone lost their caller ID after encrypting. Can anyone confirm this will not happen?

Posted via CB10
    07-06-14 05:03 PM
    At least in theory retrieval of data stored on device could be a little slower, by the amount of extra processing required to decrypt first rather than simply displaying on screen. I've never compared unencrypted and encrypted modes but I don't expect the delay to be noticeable by a human operator in real world activities.

The caller ID "problem" certainly existed on older BBOS devices if encryption of contacts was selected. It is ages since I looked at this but I'm almost certain this was the result of the way the device was programmed to clear in-clear data from memory when the phone was locked, and it was not supposed to decrypt again until after the password was entered and the phone unlocked. In other words, it was the natural consequence of a secure design. Not sure if the same software flow is still used in OS10 devices.
    07-06-14 06:31 PM
    Thank you guys. I'm going to give it a shot and see how it goes. I just purch'd a new SD card (64 gig) and am looking forward to taking advantage of BB's secure encyption for it as well. I really hope it doesn't affect CID as that would be a total deal-breaker for me.

Question1: If I email other parties, will my email be securely encrypted, or only if the other party has a BlackBerry?

Question2: Will BBM communications also be encrypted to Android and iOS devices, or only if they have a BlackBerry as well?

Posted via CB10
    07-06-14 08:23 PM
    Your encryption is at the device level only. For email, you'll be relying on whatever encryption protocol your mail server uses. For BBM, the only encryption is the private key used on the BBM servers.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-14 11:03 AM
    The encryption took about 20 minutes. The encryption of the memory card took almost no time (it was empty).
    After using an encrypted Q10 for the past 2 days, i have noticed no difference in speed of the device - im happy.
    jope28 likes this.
    07-09-14 11:22 AM