What you apparently don't realize is that the main reason I have seen for an account to be switched to "disconnected" status on a BB10 device, is because it has "forgotten" the password.
    Well at least in this case (mine and that of the OPs and that reported by others in this thread itself) - Forgetting Password doesn't seem to be the issue.The device remembers the password just fine.

Worse, it just silently fails and you don't realize it has failed until you realize that you are no longer receiving new messages. In the scenarios I've experienced, I have to go into each account's setting details just to see that it's gotten into that state.
    Yes. It does silently fail. At which point, one is required to open the Accounts summary page and it lists all accounts. Which is where is simply states 'Not Connected' for the one you haven't received an email for.

Do you connect to Gmail using generic IMAP clients using something other than a dedicated Gmail or Android app? Works OK then?
    You mean other than the GMAIL web-interface or the GMAIL app on IOS / Android? Well yes - I use the MAIL 'App' on my MacBook and it works fine.
    On OTHER devices (primarily previous BlackBerry's) - works fine (over BIS).
    Tried it on a Nokia feature phone (e71) using their native Email application - works fine.
    05-27-13 02:10 AM
    Well at least in this case (mine and that of the OPs and that reported by others in this thread itself) - Forgetting Password doesn't seem to be the issue.The device remembers the password just fine.

Not to be overly tedious, but you have already tried deleting and re-entering the password, then manually syncing, to see if it starts retrieving mail?

You mean other than the GMAIL web-interface or the GMAIL app on IOS / Android? Well yes - I use the MAIL 'App' on my MacBook and it works fine.
    On OTHER devices (primarily previous BlackBerry's) - works fine (over BIS).
    Tried it on a Nokia feature phone (e71) using their native Email application - works fine.

If you have used the mail.app on the Mac, then that's a good datapoint. BIS is another kettle of fish entirely, not really useful for the sake of troubleshooting such things because there is no connection to the destination mail server happening directly from your device, it's all done by BIS proxy.

Next question, since I didn't recall seeing it mentioned here yet: what Software Release/OS Version are you using on the Q10?
    05-27-13 02:30 AM
    Not to be overly tedious, but you have already tried deleting and re-entering the password, then manually syncing, to see if it starts retrieving mail?
    I would try that IF the reboot didn't fix the issue.
    I would still try that if I were required to be connected to the WiFi on a regular basis. That is NOT the case.

Please note - the only reason I contributed to this thread was because you had cast your doubts on the OP's (and others) ability to access emails on WiFi enabled devices. It did seem rather ... well not very polite. It was dismissive.

That is all. For me - although THIS IS an issue, it is not a deal breaker (I rarely connect my handheld to WiFi. Unlimited data plan... for now at least). I have other issues with the OS and I am hopeful they will be addressed in the upcoming updates.

Next question, since I didn't recall seeing it mentioned here yet: what Software Release/OS Version are you using on the Q10?
    10.1.0..238. Still waiting for .273 to be pushed via my carrier. Not TOO keen to load it up manually. Not yet, anyways.
    05-27-13 02:37 AM
    BIS is another kettle of fish entirely, not really useful for the sake of troubleshooting such things because there is no connection to the destination mail server happening directly from your device, it's all done by BIS proxy.
    Only reason I mentioned that was in response if I had used any Non Gmail / Android apps to access Gmail accounts. Was trying to be comprehensive with my response.
    05-27-13 02:38 AM
    Hi Omnitech,

I appreciate your input, hopefully you can reply without being condescending. I am far from a genius when it comes to technology, but from what I gather prior to Blackberry 10, Blackberries used to basically be directly connected to your email server, whatever that may be(mine is through a large cell company in Canada through Yahoo, but is not my provider). The new BB10 is different in that it has to login to the email server on every attempt, hence why you now have to set an interval, where as before it was immediate. Because of different Wifi settings/routers, this can prevent data from getting through, or your BB basically 'forgetting' the password requiring you to login again. I also understand that at this time this problem is the way it is and there really is no simple fix other than disconnecting Wifi, refreshing and connecting again. My question is, if this is the case, why is this problem sporadic? Let's say I'm at home, sometimes it doesn't work on Wifi and sometimes it does. I would say this is a 50/50 thing. Appreciate your response.
    05-29-13 07:48 AM
    ...from what I gather prior to Blackberry 10, Blackberries used to basically be directly connected to your email server, whatever that may be(mine is through a large cell company in Canada through Yahoo, but is not my provider). The new BB10 is different in that it has to login to the email server on every attempt, hence why you now have to set an interval, where as before it was immediate. Because of different Wifi settings/routers, this can prevent data from getting through, or your BB basically 'forgetting' the password requiring you to login again. I also understand that at this time this problem is the way it is and there really is no simple fix other than disconnecting Wifi, refreshing and connecting again. My question is, if this is the case, why is this problem sporadic? Let's say I'm at home, sometimes it doesn't work on Wifi and sometimes it does. I would say this is a 50/50 thing. Appreciate your response.
    It's not yet clear to me what this "Wifi only" issue is, or whether it's specific to only certain people/carriers/situations. I can tell you that I use my own BB10 device (A Z10, running a very old software release) over WiFi, without problems like the ones described here.

The "forgetting password" issue seems to be a bug, in fact it was a bug even on the older Playbook devices. That has nothing to do with the way the email is retrieved, it is just a software flaw. I do not know why it has persisted so long.

More info on your email account settings would help zero in on what kind of service you have. There are all sorts of potential explanations, depending on your circumstances and how your email provider is connected.

I suggest you take a look at the following for some background:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...yncing-777774/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...de-bis-786880/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...rsions-779341/
    05-30-13 04:20 PM
    It's not yet clear to me what this "Wifi only" issue is, or whether it's specific to only certain people/carriers/situations. I can tell you that I use my own BB10 device (A Z10, running a very old software release) over WiFi, without problems like the ones described here.

The "forgetting password" issue seems to be a bug, in fact it was a bug even on the older Playbook devices. That has nothing to do with the way the email is retrieved, it is just a software flaw. I do not know why it has persisted so long.

More info on your email account settings would help zero in on what kind of service you have. There are all sorts of potential explanations, depending on your circumstances and how your email provider is connected.

I suggest you take a look at the following for some background:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...yncing-777774/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...de-bis-786880/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...rsions-779341/
    Basically the "Wifi Issue" with me, personally, is if my phone is connected to Wifi(not all Wifi's nor other Wifi's with this issue all the time) my Q10 cannot retrieve or send out emails. If I turn off Wifi on my phone and refresh my email, it retrieves and sends fine and instantly. Like I said, this doesn't happen all the time and I have not had the phone long enough to know if this is with all Wifi networks or just the ones I use on a daily basis. I tend not to connect to public Wifi networks. Server address is rim.imap.mail.yahoo.com, port 993, STMP server is rim.smtp.mail.yahoo.com, port 465. Encryption is SSL. Push is on and sync interval is 5min. Hope this helps.
    06-03-13 06:30 PM
    Basically the "Wifi Issue" with me, personally, is if my phone is connected to Wifi(not all Wifi's nor other Wifi's with this issue all the time) my Q10 cannot retrieve or send out emails. If I turn off Wifi on my phone and refresh my email, it retrieves and sends fine and instantly. Like I said, this doesn't happen all the time and I have not had the phone long enough to know if this is with all Wifi networks or just the ones I use on a daily basis. I tend not to connect to public Wifi networks. Server address is rim.imap.mail.yahoo.com, port 993, STMP server is rim.smtp.mail.yahoo.com, port 465. Encryption is SSL. Push is on and sync interval is 5min. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info, the one piece that is missing is your OS version.

On my older OS version on my Z10, I don't have any general issues with email over WiFi (including with Yahoo), but neither do I do much connecting to public hotspots either - I tend to avoid them for security reasons. If I'm desperate and whatever I'm doing isn't particularly sensitive or vulnerable to snooping, I will sometimes use them. Otherwise I just use carrier data or my Verizon mobile hotspot when I'm traveling and not connecting to one of my own home or work networks, or someone else's network I know is trusted. (IE a friend's home network that I personally setup for them. )
    06-03-13 06:42 PM
    06-03-13 08:48 PM
    I have the same "not connected" issue! Noticed that 3 out of my 5 email accounts became "not connected" in System-Settings >Accounts while connected via wifi in my office today. I would re-enter the passwords and the email accounts would be re-connected easily and with no issues, but would show "not connected" yet again after checking back on it maybe 15mins later. I have yet to test and monitor this on my home wifi, or on my cellular network as opposed to wifi, but there is definitely a problem. BBRY needs to get this fixed!

My Q10 is on OS 10.1.0.238
    Last edited by runlcc; 06-04-13 at 02:35 AM.
    06-04-13 02:17 AM
    I have the same "not connected" issue! Noticed that 3 out of my 5 email accounts became "not connected" in System-Settings >Accounts while connected via wifi in my office today. I would re-enter the passwords and the email accounts would be re-connected easily and with no issues, but would show "not connected" yet again after checking back on it maybe 15mins later. I have yet to test and monitor this on my home wifi, or on my cellular network as opposed to wifi, but there is definitely a problem. BBRY needs to get this fixed!

Are those 3 email accounts that disconnect getting email from the server address rim.imap.mail.yahoo.com too?
    06-04-13 03:47 AM
    After seeing this issue popup recently on my own device, it seems like another trigger for it is transient network connectivity issues.

If the internet link is intermittently down, it seems that it can cause the login to fail, no surprise there.

But the problem is that you often then get a login password prompt, instead of an error message advising you that there was a network connectivity issue the last time the email client tried to check or retrieve messages. This is not helping matters because it further confuses users about what is going on. (ie - it is not a password problem, it is a network problem)

Worse, this is the classic problem that I've run into with certain desktop email clients, where if they had a transient network issue, rather than make this clear, they often popup an "enter password" prompt, and then typically 80% of users enter the wrong password, which is now saved in the client and any subsequent attempts to retrieve messages will definitely fail.
    Harry_III_UK likes this.
    06-04-13 04:05 AM
    Are those 3 email accounts that disconnect getting email from the server address rim.imap.mail.yahoo.com too?
    Now 4 email accounts. 2 are Gmails, 1 IMAP, and 1 POP. The only one working consistently throughout is the Hotmail account.
    06-05-13 12:26 AM

UPDATE: Monitored it from yesterday. Problem only occurs while on office wifi. Home wifi is okay, and all email accounts are okay while on cellular data as well.

Office wifi on Netgear wireless router. Home wifi on Huawei wireless router. Both are on their own Optical Network Terminals but via different Service Provider. Having said that, the wifi related hardwares (or router/modem softwares) should not be the "problem" for my Q10 as both my home and office wifi works well with my iphone5 with no email issues whatsoever. I hope someone from BBRY is aware of this issue that some of us are experiencing, and they are working on a fix to be included in the next OS upgrade.
    Last edited by runlcc; 06-05-13 at 12:49 AM.
    06-05-13 12:37 AM
    I have to either constantly change my SMTP server to be sending email for my home Telus email (wifi) and then for when I'm just on cell signal, or just have my wifi off on my BB. This is all so I can send friggen emails! I do not have ANY issues with outlook.com formerly hotmail. I do not have to change anything.

Ever since the loss of BIS, this has been very very frustrating. These are the fundamentals of a BlackBerry, so they need to address this asap!

Posted via CB10
    06-05-13 01:47 AM
    I have to either constantly change my SMTP server to be sending email for my home Telus email (wifi) and then for when I'm just on cell signal, or just have my wifi off on my BB. This is all so I can send friggen emails! I do not have ANY issues with outlook.com formerly hotmail. I do not have to change anything.

Ever since the loss of BIS, this has been very very frustrating. These are the fundamentals of a BlackBerry, so they need to address this asap!

Posted via CB10
    Do you happen to know if your Telus SMTP sever is using port 25?
    06-05-13 04:13 AM
    I will agree that the Outlook.com/Hotmail.com accounts are very solid, but part of the reason for that is that most people connect to them with a different connection method (Exchange ActiveSync), which BB10 doesn't have the "forgot password" issue with, generally.

I have several IMAP accounts configured on my device. The one through Fastmail is solid as a rock, never had a SINGLE problem.

The one from Yahoo is finicky and sometimes gets grumpy if I don't login to the web interface once in a while to "remind them who I am", and the Gmail one is constantly hitting me with "please re-enter your password" prompts.

It is beginning to look like both Gmail and Yahoo have very persnickety authentication mechanisms that tend to "distrust" mobile devices a lot more than other providers.

(It's also possible that BB10 is doing something stupid like mishandling authentication handshakes or something, and those services are more picky about that sort of thing than other services. BB10 did/does have a nasty header malformatting issue that afflicts outgoing SMTP that I thought had been resolved but which seems to persist in many builds of 10.1.)
    John Pawling and Harry_III_UK like this.
    06-05-13 07:22 AM
    My Q10 collects the emails in my Btopenworld account but does not collect any new ones. I have deleted the account then started again, it kindly collects all the mails to that point but never collect any new ones. aaaaarghhhh
    06-05-13 08:42 AM
    UPDATE: Monitored it from yesterday. Problem only occurs while on office wifi. Home wifi is okay, and all email accounts are okay while on cellular data as well.

Office wifi on Netgear wireless router. Home wifi on Huawei wireless router. Both are on their own Optical Network Terminals but via different Service Provider. Having said that, the wifi related hardwares (or router/modem softwares) should not be the "problem" for my Q10 as both my home and office wifi works well with my iphone5 with no email issues whatsoever. I hope someone from BBRY is aware of this issue that some of us are experiencing, and they are working on a fix to be included in the next OS upgrade.
    Have your office router rebooted. Is it also possible that your office network blocks external mail servers (IMAP ports or POP ports)?

Use the configuration of the email accounts from the iPhone 5 (servers and ports) in your BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10 v1.4.2 on my Zed10 10.1.0.273 on Rogers
    Last edited by John Pawling; 06-05-13 at 09:31 AM.
    06-05-13 08:54 AM
    Do you happen to know if your Telus SMTP sever is using port 25?
    I've tried multiple ports with the same frustrating result. I feel bad for everyone. As they should not need to be system admins to be able to configure their email. I understand what's going on and it's very much a BlackBerry OS issue. Seriously need to get this sorted out! No there is no issue with "Exchange server" configs.

Posted via CB10
    Harry_III_UK likes this.
    06-05-13 10:50 AM
    Thanks for the info, the one piece that is missing is your OS version.

On my older OS version on my Z10, I don't have any general issues with email over WiFi (including with Yahoo), but neither do I do much connecting to public hotspots either - I tend to avoid them for security reasons. If I'm desperate and whatever I'm doing isn't particularly sensitive or vulnerable to snooping, I will sometimes use them. Otherwise I just use carrier data or my Verizon mobile hotspot when I'm traveling and not connecting to one of my own home or work networks, or someone else's network I know is trusted. (IE a friend's home network that I personally setup for them. )
    Sorry about that OS is 10.1.0.238
    06-05-13 08:27 PM
    Have your office router rebooted. Is it also possible that your office network blocks external mail servers (IMAP ports or POP ports)?

Use the configuration of the email accounts from the iPhone 5 (servers and ports) in your BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10 v1.4.2 on my Zed10 10.1.0.273 on Rogers
    Thank you, but it didn't help.

It's okay. I just don't connect to the office wifi when i'm in the office if i want to receive emails on my phone. Most of the time, I check my emails on the computer in the office, so it is not too big an issue for me. I will just wait for them to fix it in their OS upgrade. Hope someone over in BBRY is aware of this issue.

I'm just a bit frustrated and dissapointed with BBRY for potentially dropping the ball on this BB10 OS. Dread to imagine the amount of negative pubilcity if this issue starts popping up across a wider user base after the launch of the Q10 in the States. And I do think that this problem is wider than most would think, as not everyone realizes it. It silently becomes "not connected" in the background, so one would have to be waiting for an email or checking the settings to realize that there is a problem.
    Harry_III_UK likes this.
    06-06-13 02:45 AM
    Thank you, but it didn't help.

It's okay. I just don't connect to the office wifi when i'm in the office if i want to receive emails on my phone. Most of the time, I check my emails on the computer in the office, so it is not too big an issue for me. I will just wait for them to fix it in their OS upgrade. Hope someone over in BBRY is aware of this issue.

I'm just a bit frustrated and dissapointed with BBRY for potentially dropping the ball on this BB10 OS. Dread to imagine the amount of negative pubilcity if this issue starts popping up across a wider user base after the launch of the Q10 in the States. And I do think that this problem is wider than most would think, as not everyone realizes it. It silently becomes "not connected" in the background, so one would have to be waiting for an email or checking the settings to realize that there is a problem.
    06-08-13 08:09 PM
    It is a Q10 problem. I have a Z10, no email problems. My wife and my daughter each have a Q10 and their emails get disconnected on our home wifi. Turn the wifi off and the emails flood in.
    06-08-13 08:14 PM
    It is a Q10 problem. I have a Z10, no email problems. My wife and my daughter each have a Q10 and their emails get disconnected on our home wifi. Turn the wifi off and the emails flood in.

It's virtually impossible that it's a hardware issue - ie Q10 vs Z10 hardware - far more likely to be an idiosyncracy with the firmware revision on those Q10's, or how they are configured.

Version numbers for both "Software Release" and "OS version" on both devices would be useful to know.
    Harry_III_UK likes this.
    06-09-13 09:22 AM
124 1234 ...