It took 2 days to realize that some of the emails are not received. It happened to me in Gmail.

I have noticed I too cannot send an email outbound for yahoo or gmail when connected to my home network or at work (which is the network of a major USA university).

If disconnected from WiFi, goes right through.

FYI - my ActiveSync work email goes outbound just fine from either wireless network, just not the yahoo or gmail.

i have a Z10, and i have this same issue,but its on my workplace WIFI only. At home it works fine, thats why i havent given much a attention since i believe its related to the workplace WIFI..

What many traditional Blackberry users don't realize is how the different email architecture in the BB10 devices affects these things.

Blackberry used to route ALL internet traffic on their devices through their own network and email servers. That is no longer the case with BB10. Therefore you have to take more care to ensure that you are setting up the email accounts properly so (ie) the outgoing email servers are correct for the network you are using for internet access at any given time.

For example: if you configure your mobile carrier's SMTP email server as the outgoing email server for an email account, typically that will ONLY WORK if you are using the mobile carrier's network for internet. If you connect to WiFi, your email will no longer send, because you cannot route email through your carrier's email infrastructure from outside of their network, for security reasons.

To make it even more interesting, depending on signal and network conditions, your handheld device may switch repeatedly from WiFi (if one of the configured networks is available) to the carrier's data connection, and back again - over and over. Each time that happens, if you are using an outgoing email server that only works on ONE of those internet links, your email traffic will be affected.

There have also been some bugs with email in older releases of BB10 firmware, which can affect things like retrieval of messages from Gmail. Most of those issues have been resolved with the most recent (last few weeks) BB10 firmware releases in the 10.1 series.
    Harry_III_UK likes this.
    07-17-13 11:26 PM
    this is happening to me on att network and on wifi. Just had to reboot twice to get 365 to act right and also setup gmail account for testing. on stockk att OS2019
    07-18-13 07:33 AM
    I have the same problem. On my home WiFi I get information that my email accounts are "not connected" (Gmail, Yahoo). Facebook has simillar problems too, but not so often. Anybody wrote about it to BlackBerry support or something like that?
    07-23-13 09:10 AM
    I have the same problem. On my home WiFi I get information that my email accounts are "not connected" (Gmail, Yahoo). Facebook has simillar problems too, but not so often. Anybody wrote about it to BlackBerry support or something like that?

It's a known issue, which has been improved significantly on the latest OS builds. In addition to the previous discussion here:

KB34289-Notification is received in the BlackBerry Hub stating "Account Information Needed" for a POP or IMAP account
    KB33834-Email accounts integrated using POP are repeatedly and incorrectly marked as invalid

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ssword-809592/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...e-nuts-806292/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...onding-806987/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...uently-802919/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...rompts-803776/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ed-yet-800332/
    07-24-13 01:28 AM
    The topics you wrote are about POP email accounts. I have all my email accounts on IMAP. Does this make a difference?

Posted via CB10
    07-24-13 01:34 AM
    The topics you wrote are about POP email accounts. I have all my email accounts on IMAP. Does this make a difference?

The first link I posted in my last response says right in the title "POP or IMAP account". And some of the links also pertain to more than POP.

I believe the mechanism in BB10 that causes the problem is similiar, possibly identical, for those account types.

As I asked in another post you made in a different thread, which OS version are you using?

The best settings for Gmail, in general, are the ones suggested by the device in its "automatic" setup mode.

I believe the servers in that case are pointed to imap.gmail.com and smtp.gmail.com.

What Software Release and OS versions are you using?

Go to Settings/About/OS to find those 2 numbers.
    07-24-13 05:23 PM
    I use OS: 10.1.0.273
    07-25-13 12:12 AM
    I use OS: 10.1.0.273

I think you will find that more recent versions of 10.1 have improved that situation significantly.

If your carrier hasn't released it yet, there are some workarounds to that.
    07-25-13 01:29 AM
    I am very disappointed over my shiny and new Q10 not receiving e-mails on the same WiFi network, where my old and rusty 8520, 9000, 9800, 9810 and 9900 had absolutely no problem. I know, I know, this is different now, BUT my Motorola Milestone 2, My Samsung Tab 2, my three Playbooks (speaking of which, I WANT FULL BRIDGE ON BB 10!!!) have absolutely no problem with this WiFi neither.

So Q10 has a bug, a serious one. I have tried it with 4 different routers (from Cisco to TP-Link) and with three different IP-s (ADSL and cable as well).

FIX IT!
    08-13-13 02:16 AM
    I am very disappointed over my shiny and new Q10 not receiving e-mails on the same WiFi network, where my old and rusty 8520, 9000, 9800, 9810 and 9900 had absolutely no problem. I know, I know, this is different now, BUT my Motorola Milestone 2, My Samsung Tab 2, my three Playbooks (speaking of which, I WANT FULL BRIDGE ON BB 10!!!) have absolutely no problem with this WiFi neither.

So Q10 has a bug, a serious one. I have tried it with 4 different routers (from Cisco to TP-Link) and with three different IP-s (ADSL and cable as well).

FIX IT!

Since there are millions of people who successfully use the Q10 and all the rest of the BlackBerry 10 devices to receive email over WiFi, the problem that you are describing is clearly not a universal one.

More details on precisely the nature of the issue you are experiencing, including your OS version, the specific email provider(s) in question and how the accounts were setup would be useful.

Otherwise you just look like the guy who drives into the auto repair shop screaming "FIX ITTTTTT!!!" without explaining to anyone what the problem is.
    08-14-13 03:44 PM
    Hi,
    I have the same issue on Q10 OS version 10.1.0.4633
    I received the following reply from @BlackberryHelp:
    "this article may help with your Gmail account.*KB34195-"Unable to look up connection information" or "The Server (mail.server.com) for account (user@domain) not responding" is displayed when attempting to enroll an email account on the BlackBerry smartphone Let us know if you have any other questions."
    The article relates this issue to miss configuration in the DNS settings of the Wifi router. I did change my home Wifi router to use Google DNS (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4) as the second and third DNS and kept the First DNS as the ISP DNS and it worked just fine.
    Currently I'm face the same problem if the device is connected to VPN, whatever the pushed DNS settings are, Gmail and Google app emails are not connected as long as VPN connection is on.
    09-25-13 07:08 PM
    I have the same issue on Q10 OS version 10.1.0.4633 [...]

Currently I'm face the same problem if the device is connected to VPN, whatever the pushed DNS settings are, Gmail and Google app emails are not connected as long as VPN connection is on.

What sort of VPN are you using? The VPN provider may be messing around with email traffic or proxying it in a way that makes your client look illegitimate.
    09-25-13 08:08 PM
    What sort of VPN are you using? The VPN provider may be messing around with email traffic or proxying it in a way that makes your client look illegitimate.
    I'm using my own strongswan generic IKEv2 VPN server. No proxying or messing around. Just a gateway.
    09-25-13 08:17 PM
    I'm using my own strongswan generic IKEv2 VPN server. No proxying or messing around. Just a gateway.

In that part of the world, I suppose it's possible that Google is blacklisting your VPN's IP or something, and/or only allows connections from IPs known to be registered to mobile carriers or something.

Do you use the VPN with other devices or computers to access Google email / Google Apps? How about directly from the same network? (I assume the VPN is hosted from your home connection)
    09-25-13 08:30 PM
    VPN is used on other devices to connect to Gmail and Google App successfully.
    The VPN server itself is able to access Gmail and Google App and is hosted in the US.
    I have 4 Gmail and Google App accounts in the Q10, after many tries, some of them remain connected (at least one), others get disconnected, in a random manner, but when disconnected from VPN, all are connected.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-13 04:24 AM
    VPN is used on other devices to connect to Gmail and Google App successfully.
    The VPN server itself is able to access Gmail and Google App and is hosted in the US.
    I have 4 Gmail and Google App accounts in the Q10, after many tries, some of them remain connected (at least one), others get disconnected, in a random manner, but when disconnected from VPN, all are connected.

Then my next guess would be that Etisalat is messing around with your VPN traffic.

They have a rather sordid history when it comes to blocking traffic and/or snooping on their customers at the behest of the governments of the countries they operate in. If I'm not mistaken, they also were caught installing spyware on Blackberries a few years ago.

Does everything else that routes through the VPN on the device work OK?
    09-26-13 02:50 PM
    I had same problem on my Z10, when I was swapping internet connection source, from Wi-Fi to GSM and vice-versa accounts just become "Not Connected". Since 10.2.0.424 update it doesn't happen with gmail accounts. Upon switching networks they get disconnected, but as soon as internet is back they re-connect and work fine. Only problem now is Facebook is getting Not Connected, almost every time I switch internet source it drops connection and it doesn't reconnect. I narrowed it down to app itself problem.
    And I did test, went into airplane mode, all accounts were "Not Connected", after turning airplane mode off, one by one accounts were up and unning except facebook. I removed "native" app and sideloaded android one. With that app, once internet connection is available all accounts, including FB re-connected. But problem is, when using android app, there is no FB in my Hub, and that is making that useless, except the fact that I found out why FB "forgets" to reconnect.
    I and many others are still searching for some solution to this problem.
    11-02-13 04:34 PM
    I and many others are still searching for some solution to this problem.

I must admit I cannot fathom how the OS works in this respect, even with 10.2.

Every other OS I have ever seen, particularly something mobile where you would be expected to frequently lose internet connectivity, would simply silently retry if it encountered an email polling or connectivity error. Whereas with BB10, seemingly after only a single failure to contact a configured email system, it throws this error, and worst of all forces you to re-enter the send and receive passwords for any accounts that receive this error, EVERY time it happens. HUGE PITA.

Last weekend I was with a friend driving in a rural area, and after driving through an area where I may have lost signal for something like 10-15 minutes, the phone threw this error on 2 of my configured email accounts and forced me to re-enter passwords on both of them. (And since the send/receive passwords are different, that's re-entering 4 passwords) After that happens 3-4 times it gets REALLY annoying.
    11-03-13 01:11 AM
    I must admit I cannot fathom how the OS works in this respect, even with 10.2.

Every other OS I have ever seen, particularly something mobile where you would be expected to frequently lose internet connectivity, would simply silently retry if it encountered an email polling or connectivity error. Whereas with BB10, seemingly after only a single failure to contact a configured email system, it throws this error, and worst of all forces you to re-enter the send and receive passwords for any accounts that receive this error, EVERY time it happens. HUGE PITA.
    I agree, it is very frustrating when BB10 just gives up the ghost and prompts you to re-enter your Gmail password.

I do wonder whether this is just a Gmail idiosyncrasy that some e-mail clients can't handle because, the same thing happens when Gmail loses its connection to my Outlook DESKTOP CLIENT on my Mac using IMAP.

My Outlook web mail (as in the e-mail service formerly known as hotmail) has NEVER lost a connection on either the Q10 or the Outlook desktop client.

So, when Gmail loses its connection, does an error code get processed by the desktop client? That seems likely.

Does Gmail send this "I can't connect" code back - or is that silly given "how can it send an error code back if it can't connect?"

Then, do the Q10 and the Outlook desktop e-mail clients process that error code as "please enter your password again" rather than "I will retry this later"?

Or... are the clients retrying this in the background a number of times that I can't see and eventually, after "x" attempts, just giving up and prompting me to re-enter my password?

I don't know the answer to that other than, as I said, Outlook web based e-mail has never exhibited this "give up" characteristic with either the Q10 e-mail client or the Outlook desktop client.

So, Outlook web based e-mail either:

1) Is more fault tolerant than Gmail
    2) Connects more reliably than Gmail and does not drop connections as readily
    3) Sends back (or uses) error codes which are better handled by the Q10 client and the Outlook desktop client

...are there any other options I have missed?

All I know is that talking to friends who are iPhone and Gmail users, they come across exactly the same "please re-enter your password" problems that I do on my Q10.

I need to talk to Android Gmail users to see if they have the same difficulty, given that Google and thus Gmail could reasonably be expected to work better with a Google "based" operating system like Android than with an "outsider" like BlackBerry.

Are there any Android Gmail users who could comment?

Oh, and it would be nice if BB10 gave you a message in the notifications section of the hub that "your Gmail account [email protected] appears to be disconnected" (which is pretty much what the Outlook desktop client does) - rather than me having to figure out "I haven't had any e-mails all day - let me check my connection settings on the Q10... ARGH!!!"
    Last edited by Harry_III_UK; 11-03-13 at 09:22 AM.
    11-03-13 04:46 AM
    I think that problem is in app itself, and I tested it by sideloading android fb version, with that my account on fb did try and reconnected itself without problem. It seems that BlackBerry version of fb doesn't even try to reconnect, once connection is lost it just leaves it to user to resolve, annoying thing is that you don't get any notification about that.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-13 08:38 AM
    In addition to Facebook, all Contacts accounts related to Gmail (Gmail Contacts, Google apps Contacts) get disconnected and does not reconnect until I open each one and press the save button (no need to retype password).

Posted via CB10
    11-03-13 10:09 AM
    In addition to Facebook, all Contacts accounts related to Gmail (Gmail Contacts, Google apps Contacts) get disconnected and does not reconnect until I open each one and press the save button (no need to retype password).

Posted via CB10
    I get that from time to time - but also get instances where not ALL of the services connected to a Gmail account are "not connected".

Sometimes it is all three (e-mail, contacts and calendar) and sometimes any combination of the three - seemingly at random.
    11-03-13 10:38 AM
    You know, I think what Omnitech said here is about the last word on this:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...10/index5.html

Outlook.com supports POP3 and EAS. (Exchange ActiveSync)

The main reason people have fewer issues with Outlook.com on BB10 compared to ie Yahoo and Gmail is specifically because it uses EAS rather than IMAP. EAS is a much more sophisticated protocol than IMAP and leaves less open to interpretation.
    I think, therefore, this is just an issue with Gmail and is most likely never going to be fixed from the BlackBerry side - because that isn't where the problem lies...
    11-03-13 10:47 AM
    I get that from time to time - but also get instances where not ALL of the services connected to a Gmail account are "not connected".

Sometimes it is all three (e-mail, contacts and calendar) and sometimes any combination of the three - seemingly at random.
    I had that problem on 10.1, but now on 10.2 it all works good except FB. When I'm changing from wifi to gsm, i can see how acc gets disconnected and re-connects itself. But FB just stays Not Connected.
    11-03-13 12:26 PM
    Re: Desktop Outlook not having similiar reliability problems, you have to compare like to like.

Desktop software doesn't have anywhere near the kind of unreliable and constantly changing internet connectivity issues that mobile devices have. Most of the time loss of connection is not an issue at all via a terrestrial internet link so even if the desktop software had the same kind of issues that BB10 has, you would probably almost never encounter it because the internet link is much more stable than the mobile internet link.

Regardless, there is NO reason that BB10 should force users to reset accounts or re-enter passwords in order to restore the accounts ability to retrieve messages after short transient periods where internet connectivity is lost. Whoever made that design decision should be fired, immediately.
    aburrobb likes this.
    11-04-13 08:05 AM
124 ... 2345