I would like to inform you that my Z10 is having the same problem.

So no solution now?
    06-19-13 09:02 AM
    I have the problem as well:

Emails Not Connected on my Q10 through wifi-rdg7.png

I get this error message about twice a day when I am on the wifi network at work on both of my email accounts. There is nothing wrong with my account settings. I can fix the error by simply scrolling down, changing the sync interval and then pressing "save". But, when this error develops my emails stop flowing, and there is no indication of an error in the Hub.

I used to have the same problem at home, but I think I fixed it by setting up a static IP address for my Q10 on my home wifi network. Unfortunately I cannot do that at work.

Does anybody have any suggestions about how to fix this?
    06-19-13 04:30 PM
    I have the same issue getting POP emails over wifi at home and at work using my Q10. It gets resolved by turning off wifi. I put my accounts on a Z10 and had no such problems. It appears to happen with routers using ip addresses starting with 192... The problem seems to be the OS release on the Q10. I am still on .238 on the bell mobility network.
    06-19-13 10:16 PM
    Same with my home wifi not working with my Q10 (238) and work one works fine. I have rogers router ($8 mth rental) plus two other routers but have same issue with all three. My playbook, laptops, 9900, 9780 and S4 are fine!

Q10, 9900, 9780, 8330, 7520, 7510 And Playbook!
    06-19-13 10:33 PM
    I have the problem as well:

I get this error message about twice a day when I am on the wifi network at work on both of my email accounts. There is nothing wrong with my account settings. I can fix the error by simply scrolling down, changing the sync interval and then pressing "save". But, when this error develops my emails stop flowing, and there is no indication of an error in the Hub.
    TBH I cannot keep track of all the threads on this because I monitor a LOT of threads here about email issues.

But this is a KNOWN issue, and it is NOT specific to the Q10. There are 2 main/loosely-related manifestations:

1. Device asks for your password for a configured email account even though it was previously working
    2. Email account stops receiving messages, if you go to edit settings, it shows in red text as "disabled" (but doesn't inform you interactively - you must go into account settings to see this)

In regards to Gmail specifically (since that was the email provider listed in your screenshot), here's a thread I just finished posting to about the issue as it applies to Gmail. (But as I said, it's not really confined to Gmail)

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...tantly-819510/
    Harry_III_UK likes this.
    06-20-13 05:15 AM
    TBH I cannot keep track of all the threads on this because I monitor a LOT of threads here about email issues.

But this is a KNOWN issue, and it is NOT specific to the Q10. There are 2 main/loosely-related manifestations:

1. Device asks for your password for a configured email account even though it was previously working
    2. Email account stops receiving messages, if you go to edit settings, it shows in red text as "disabled" (but doesn't inform you interactively - you must go into account settings to see this)

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...tantly-819510/
    I really appreciate your reply and at least the confirmation that this is a known issue. I am going to assume that it is something that will have to be fixed in a software update from BlackBerry and try to manage it for now instead of knocking myself out trying to find a solution.
    06-20-13 09:07 AM
    I have the same issue getting POP emails over wifi at home and at work using my Q10. It gets resolved by turning off wifi. I put my accounts on a Z10 and had no such problems. It appears to happen with routers using ip addresses starting with 192... The problem seems to be the OS release on the Q10. I am still on .238 on the bell mobility network.
    Would it be an easy test to use 10.x.x.x addresses instead?

Posted via CB10 v1.4.2 on my Zed10 10.1.0.273 on Rogers
    06-20-13 10:28 AM
    Ive been getting the same issue too,
    Device OS. 273 on my home network through my BT wireless hub (UK), it does help Not having the email programme open on the Main computer, and during today by having it off the emails have been fine,

I did read through a load of posts about it and was Massively relieved to find it wasnt just me!

Posted via CB10
    Harry_III_UK likes this.
    06-20-13 01:49 PM
    Would it be an easy test to use 10.x.x.x addresses instead?

Posted via CB10 v1.4.2 on my Zed10 10.1.0.273 on Rogers
    I did test in a wifi environment that didn't use 192.x.x... ip address and had no problems with POP email.
    06-20-13 06:28 PM
    It gets resolved by turning off wifi. I put my accounts on a Z10 and had no such problems. It appears to happen with routers using ip addresses starting with 192...

That is not the issue.

I see the problem on all sorts of different IP subnets. Got it today multiple times while I was connected to Verizon's network only. (Which, by default, uses 10.x.x.x IPv4 addresses, if not IPv6 addresses)

There is clearly some sort of issue where the device does not handle connection errors or login contention well, and what makes it much worse is that it provides neither a useful error message to the device user, or any easily-accessible log from which to ascertain what is going on. Worse, it often disables the account just because of that transient error, with NO notice to the user at all. That is DUMB UI design. (I just had to reset 2 of my accounts minutes ago for this reason. I have NO idea when they got disabled - probably sometime in the last 24 hours.)

It may be exacerbated by certain email providers which look for certain access patterns and then throttle the connecting device. I am pretty sure both Google and Yahoo do this, as a way of trying to cut-down on unauthorized or "hijacked" access attempts. (One possible scenario: the device tries to login, and in the middle of the login or shortly thereafter, its public IP address changes, making the server think someone is trying to hijack an active session, and it kills the 2nd login attempt)

It could also be because the BB10 device is stringing too many commands together too closely or something. I rather wonder if that is the kind of thing that causes some people issues with Exchange ActiveSync accounts - the server starts throttling the BB10 device because it starts mercilessly hammering on the server and hits its throttling threshold, whereupon the server kicks the device off.
    Harry_III_UK likes this.
    06-21-13 01:10 AM
    Just did something that made a difference.
    I deleted my account and added it again, but this time, in the imap configuration I changed the "Initial Retrieval Amount" at the bottom to 1 day.
    After having done that, the "Not connected" message never returned and everything worked fine.
    Looks like some sort of size issue or related to attachments. My folder sizes are rather big so just selecting 1 day did the trick like it seems. Not a real solution because you miss a lot of history, but workable. Also explains why another account I'm using on my Q10 didn't have this problem: it's small in size and practically has no attachments.

Does this help for anybody else?
    06-24-13 06:24 AM
    Hi everybody, I can confirm the issue with Q10.

Today I posted with similar issue.
    Quick remind my case:
    • New sim-free Q10 with firmware 10.1.0.238
    • No SIM-card in the phone (expecting to get one in couple days), so using WiFi only
    • Plain vanilla wifi without any limitations (in two different locations)
    • MS Exchange 2010 account only
    • First setup of the account works great, but after short period of time e-mails stop sync
    • WiFi uses 10.10.*.* IPs (in one location), no idea about IPs in another
    • In the same time Google Nexus 7 (Android 4.2.2) works great; laptop is also connected via WiFi

Screen shot from Outlook Web Access to prove that BBRY Q10 is lagging behind.
    Emails Not Connected on my Q10 through wifi-owa-screen.jpg

Before I found this thread, I though there is an issue with firmware / WiFi / EAS, but all my colleagues with numerous Android and Iphone devices have no issues at all. IT team has no experience with BBRY 10.
    Will try to update FW to the latest avaliable tonight and finally to put SIM card.
    06-24-13 10:58 AM
    Partial repost of a post made in another thread (link):

FYI:

Blackberry has a new knowledgebase article on this:

Cause

The BlackBerry 10 smartphone attempted to log in to the POP or IMAP account but received a login failure from the destination mail server. This invalid login then invalidates the account and stops account polling which occured at the predefined sync interval.

Maintainance on a mail server can lock out access for accounts, but in most cases the server can just return with -ERR and will not indicate the specific reason for denying a login attempt.

Resolution

This is a previously reported issue that is being investigated by our development team. No resolution time frame is currently available.

Workaround

Open the notification listed in the BlackBerry Hub and at the bottom of the message will be an Open button. This will open the Accounts menu within Settings. From here, click on the account which states Not Connected - Account Invalid, enter the most recent password and click Save. Once the account is saved and the mail server accepts the password provided, email polling will resume at the defined sync interval.

If the account settings cannot be saved, contact the mail provider to verify the password being used is correct.

Now, given that some of the accounts I have trouble with this issue are accounts on a server that I personally operate, I am QUITE aware of whether or not that server is acting "randomly strange" or not.

In fact, that particular server, with that particular configuration, has been online for over 10 years now. Believe me when I tell you, if it was in the habit of acting "randomly strange" or randomly refusing to authenticate access attempts, I would have known about it many years ago.
    Harry_III_UK and sprout69 like this.
    06-25-13 02:20 AM
    Hi Omnitech,

I've been following your comments on these threads since last night (did a lot of reading!) and thought you may be interested to hear about a problem my new Q10 is having with Facebook and WiFi.

I do not currently have a SIM card in my Q10 because Vodafone UK are currently "out of stock" of virtually all SIM cards according to what customer services have just told me.

They are expecting more stock later on in the week.

So, the problem:

Connect to Facebook on WiFi at home – all is well and in the hub, the Facebook icon is updated with notifications – although see below.

I also get notifications e-mailed to my Googlemail account. (Yes, Googlemail and not Gmail was what first came to the UK and I have a Googlemail address that I have not "updated" to be a Gmail address although Google does offer that option).

So, I went to work and the Q10 seamlessly connected to work's WiFi network.

I then noticed that I had received e-mail notifications about posts people had made on Facebook via Googlemail, but these were NOT showing next to the Facebook icon or the Facebook list when I accessed it from the hub.

So, I then went to launch the Facebook app on the Q10 – and the notifications started to appear in the hub.

So, it seemed to reconnect itself.

So, I think either:

1) To receive Facebook notifications in the hub, the Facebook application needs to be running on the Q10 – which means the hub isn't as "connected" as I thought it was.

I thought the hub logged into your Facebook account in the background, as it does with Googlemail and there was no need to to actually have the Facebook application running on the Q10 to receive Facebook notifications in the hub.

If that is the case, then it makes the hub far less useful than I originally thought it would be.

Imagine if you had to have the 'phone "application" open to receive notification of missed calls in the hub – that makes no sense! Although I appreciate that I don't know this yet as I don't have a SIM card and also the Q10's 'phone "application" will actually be built straight into the kernel of the BB10 o/s (I assume) rather than being installed over the top as I imagine the Facebook application is . Even though the Facebook application came pre-installed on the Q10, I do not imagine it is as tied into the o/s as the 'phone core functions are.

I am assuming that the 'phone application was developed by RIM and the Facebook application was not – so perhaps there are idiosyncrasies in the authentication protocol at work?

OR – if the hub SHOULD show notifications for Facebook even when the application is NOT running then:

2) There is also a problem with the Q10 losing its connection to Facebook in much the same way as there seems to be for e-mail.

I suppose it depends upon at what point in the chain the Q10 logs into and authenticates itself to Facebook.

I'm using an application specific password for Facebook and Googlemail on the Q10 – so there is no danger of it being disconnected due to some kind of "multiple login" attempt being detected, and Facebook's security disconnecting one of those attempts. (I would hope).

My original guess was that the answer was option 1 – as the same thing has just happened while connected to my home WiFi network.

However, it has just worked - notification received in hub and Facebook not running on Q10.

The only problem I have had with Googlemail losing its connection on the Q10 to date was when I used the "mark prior read" function.

I used the "mark prior read" function (it took some time to actually find it) and it worked and marked all prior items as having been read. Then the Q10 refused to connect to my Gmail account again. Ever.

I re-entered my password twice and nothing.

I re-booted the Q10 twice, and nothing.

In the end I has to delete and re-set up Googlemail for it to start working again. I have no idea what went wrong there. Again, this was all over WiFi as there is no SIM card in my Q10 at the moment.

Incidentally, I was an "early adopter" of Googlemail (for 6 years now) so I believe I still have access to active sync.

For technical info:

Model
    Blackberry Q10

Software Release:

The home network is an IPv4 192. Address. I'm not sure what the work network is – I'll need to check tomorrow.

For Googlemail:

This was set up automatically by the Q10 – I didn't type in the IMAP or SMTP addresses by hand.

Server address:
    imap.googlemail.com

Port:

Encryption:
    SSL

IMAP Path Prefix:
    (this is blank)

SMTP Server Address:
    smtp.googlemail.com

SMTP Port:

SMTP Encryption:
    SSL

Use push if supported:
    On

Synch interval:
    30 minutes (although I get my e-mail near enough instantaneously so I am guessing that push is supported as my Googlemail account still has the legacy active sync available)?

I just wondered whether you had any thoughts about this?

I suppose the big question is whether I have EVER managed to receive a Facebook notification in the hub when the application has not been running. Yes, I have - it has just shown a notification in the hub and the Facebook application is NOT running on the Q10. Frustrating!

I suppose that means it is option 2 then...?

All the best,

Harry
    Last edited by Harry_III_UK; 07-01-13 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Added info about receiving hub notifications when Facebook app not running on Q10.
    07-01-13 12:43 PM
    I hope the attached screen shots also help to explain what is going on:

1 - Facebook loses connection in the hub
    2 - Googlemail shows notifications
    3 - Launch the Facebook application and the hub once again seems to pick up the notifications
    4 - Facebook settings to show that notifications are set to "on"
    Attached Thumbnails Emails Not Connected on my Q10 through wifi-1-fb-lost-connection.png   Emails Not Connected on my Q10 through wifi-2-googlemail-shows-facebook-notifications.png   Emails Not Connected on my Q10 through wifi-3-facebook-back-hub-.png   Emails Not Connected on my Q10 through wifi-4-facebook-settings.png  
    07-01-13 01:17 PM
    Hi Omnitech,

I've been following your comments on these threads since last night (did a lot of reading!) and thought you may be interested to hear about a problem my new Q10 is having with Facebook and WiFi.

I've never used FB, have no interest in it, certainly not on BB10, so I'm sorry but I'm not a good person to ask about troubleshooting FB notifications because I've never used them on this platform.
    Harry_III_UK likes this.
    07-01-13 02:38 PM
    I've never used FB, have no interest in it, certainly not on BB10, so I'm sorry but I'm not a good person to ask about troubleshooting FB notifications because I've never used them on this platform.
    Ok - no worries!

Thanks for letting me know
    07-01-13 03:13 PM
    Hello everyone,
    I want to share my experience just to let you know how I managed this (very hassling) issue, but I honestly don't know if I really found the root of the problem and/or who's guilty between phone, router and Internet provider.

I dig into the situation, and I immediately had the feeling that for some reason the idle (for push) connection from the email/contacts/calendar services (no matter if imap or activesync) got broken after a period of time from logging in to my WiFi home network.

After some attempts, I noticed that it could be a problem related to DNS address with DHCP server in the router (if curious I can post the idea I made up).
    In fact I had the router set as DNS server, so after DHCP negotiation the phone received the same IP address for both the Gateway and the DNS (then the router managed the DNS requests rerouting them to the "real" DNS addresses received by Internet provider while establishing ADSL connection).

So, everything worked like a charm (at least for the last couple of weeks) applying one of the following workarounds:

1) set static addresses in the WiFi parameters of the phone: so IP, Subnet Mask, Gateway, Primary and Secondary DNS from my Internet provider (but I believe using public ones, e.g. 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 from Google, would be the same);

2) set the DHCP server of the router not to act as DNS server but to pass to the device real DNS addresses (again, I used my Internet provider's ones, but it would be the same also with others public).

Hope it helps.
    07-02-13 05:19 AM
    After some attempts, I noticed that it could be a problem related to DNS address with DHCP server in the router (if curious I can post the idea I made up).
    In fact I had the router set as DNS server, so after DHCP negotiation the phone received the same IP address for both the Gateway and the DNS (then the router managed the DNS requests rerouting them to the "real" DNS addresses received by Internet provider while establishing ADSL connection).

If either DHCP or DNS weren't working properly, you would be having problems with a lot more than just email push.
    07-02-13 02:36 PM
    If either DHCP or DNS weren't working properly, you would be having problems with a lot more than just email push.
    I half agree.
    The problem can be isolated only to idle states, not normal surfing (that always worked perfectly).
    Let's suppose that Q10 uses as keep-alive connection a DNS server (I agree that should be a very weird choice).
    In case DNS would be the router (and no other devices are generating traffic), there isn't traffic outbound ADSL port so maybe the router itself or the provider would put the Internet connection in standby, breaking the link between imap/activesync server and the phone.
    If keep-alive would go to a DNS address "outside", the connection will be always on.
    07-02-13 05:10 PM
    Let's suppose that Q10 uses as keep-alive connection a DNS server (I agree that should be a very weird choice).

I cannot figure out with the broken grammar there, what you are trying to communicate.

There is no need for a "keepalive" to DNS servers. DNS queries are generally done over UDP which is a datagram (stateless) protocol.

In case DNS would be the router (and no other devices are generating traffic), there isn't traffic outbound ADSL port so maybe the router itself or the provider would put the Internet connection in standby, breaking the link between imap/activesync server and the phone.
    Once again the grammar is confusing your message.

There is no need for a home router using wired infrastructure to "put the Internet connection in standby". Unlike a battery-operated device or a wireless link, there are no shared resources that need to be conserved.

If keep-alive would go to a DNS address "outside", the connection will be always on.

I really doubt that is what is going on here, unless the home network hardware in question is seriously broken.

DNS traffic is done via a stateless datagram protocol (UDP), which is a "best effort" system. If packets get lost in transit, they are not re-transmitted, it is up to higher layers in the protocol stack to do error-recovery.

Email retrieval/sending/syncing is done via TCP, if the link breaks (happens all the time with mobile connections) then the TCP/IP stack will retry, if the retries run out then it passes an error to the application, and it is up to the application to handle that. Since it is common for mobile/wireless IP links to go up/down/up/down or be generally unreliable, any mobile device needs to be able to handle those conditions gracefully. If they don't, they're broken, basically.
    07-02-13 09:24 PM
    I waited for this phone more than a year. Booked early this month and got it hand. First day seems perfect. Then trouble started. It took 2 days to realize that some of the emails are not received. It happened to me in Gmail.

BlackBerry... with not much apps like android chosen blackberry just for email. don't disappoint me. My bold still works fine. Now Iuse it again for email

Hoping someone willl read this and. Correct the problem as soon as possible.
    07-04-13 09:31 PM
    I have noticed I too cannot send an email outbound for yahoo or gmail when connected to my home network or at work (which is the network of a major USA university).

If disconnected from WiFi, goes right through.

FYI - my ActiveSync work email goes outbound just fine from either wireless network, just not the yahoo or gmail.

Any ideas?
    07-17-13 11:49 AM
    i have a Z10, and i have this same issue,but its on my workplace WIFI only. At home it works fine, thats why i havent given much a attention since i believe its related to the workplace WIFI..
    07-17-13 12:09 PM
    I have noticed I too cannot send an email outbound for yahoo or gmail when connected to my home network or at work (which is the network of a major USA university).

If disconnected from WiFi, goes right through.

FYI - my ActiveSync work email goes outbound just fine from either wireless network, just not the yahoo or gmail.

Any ideas?
    My gut feeling would be that the router on your home and work networks has been configured to block gmail e.g. a firewall setting.

Have you EVER been able to use gmail on the WiFi on those networks or is this a new problem?
    If it is a new problem, have any router settings been changed recently? (e.g. equipment upgrade / new security policy in place)

Do you know anyone else who can get through to gmail on either network?
    If so, what device are they using and how are they logging in?

Is your home WiFi the same as your work WiFi network? You said it is "...the network of a major USA university" so if you're on campus for example, is "dorm" and "class" the same network?

Is it possible for you to speak to your IT Support department and ask them if there is a good reason for this?

In the "notifications" section of the hub on your BlackBerry, do you ever get a message to the effect that the network you are connected to does not allow access to certain sites when connected to WiFi?

Have you ever had it working on any other WiFi network not connected to work or home e.g. an off campus coffee chain?

It is possible for organisations to restrict access to gmail and other apps etc etc.

Have a dig around on the google support pages and see if that helps? Sorry I can't directly solve this one for you

For example, start here:

Default routing setting - Google Apps Help

Try this too:
    https://support.google.com/mail/known-issues/14973?rd=1

(Look under POP, IMAP and Sync >> IMAP client stopped syncing mail from the server)

...although as it is happening with your Yahoo mail as well, my guess would be your router's settings are the cause??

Also have a look at the "Best Answer" from "SonaD" on page 1 of this thread:
    http://productforums.google.com/foru...91;1-25-false]

Hope that helps?

Please post back and let us know if you solve this issue!
    Last edited by Harry_III_UK; 07-17-13 at 12:55 PM.
    07-17-13 12:30 PM
124 12345