I have had my Q10 for 1 week and have been on the phone with Blackberry Tech support for the last 4 days.

I noticed many times that i would get back to my PC and there were lots of emails there that had not appeared on my new Q10.???
    I check in my settings/accounts and sure enough, my emails are all disconnected. Since then i kept a good eye on the this to see what is causing the 'not connected' in the email settings.

I have run through many test and reboots, including reboots with a battery pull, Blackberry has confirmed that my emails are associated with my new Pin.

Right now on the mobile network there is rarely a problem. The problem is when i enter a wifi area and the device connects to it for data. Emails are not connecting through wifi. After a device reboot, it works for a while, but then after leaving the wifi network and then later reentering the wifi zone, then the emails again do not connect.

This is so frustrating. Has anyone else experienced this?

I have 4 IMAP emails. The emails worked fine on my Blackberry 9900 and they still work fine on my pc's. So i doubt it is an issue with the wifi network or my email server. the problem seems to be with the Q10 when it leaves the mobile network and switches to Wifi Data.

Would love to resolve this issue.
    05-16-13 02:43 PM
    I'm most interested in seeing your problem gets resolved since e-mail is very important to me. It must work. It must be reliable. It must be easy. I've been eying the Q10 for me and others. For sure I don't want to recommend the Q10, if this basic feature don't work as it should. I will get "chewed out". For me, I have 2 exchange accounts, 2 gmail, 1 hotmail, and 1 yahoo. Right now my existing smartphone handles this quite well and I'm hoping and praying that the Q10 will also.

Good luck and hope we'll see a resolution to the problem you're experiencing. Please keep us posted. Who is your carrier? Thanks.
    05-16-13 03:05 PM
    I have had the exact same problem with downloading emails. I have not noticed whether my phone is connected to wifi or not, but I will keep an eye on it. It also has issues sending during the same period. I can't refresh or synchronize during this period.
    05-16-13 09:47 PM
    I just disconnected my wifi and refreshed my email and everything got downloaded right away...
    05-16-13 09:50 PM
    If I reconnect to wifi and refresh my email, under settings, my email is no longer connected.
    05-16-13 09:52 PM
    I have similar issues as well. Bumping thread in hope of resolving this problem
    Emeeder likes this.
    05-17-13 01:42 AM
    If I reconnect to wifi and refresh my email, under settings, my email is no longer connected.
    That is exactly the issue. works great on the mobile network, then as soon as it connects to the wifi for data, then emails can't connect to the server anymore. Then turn off wifi and things are good again. Really frustrating. It actually makes the Q10 a useless phone for me. If others are having this issue...that worries me.
    05-17-13 09:40 AM
    I'm having the same problem here, took me a while to realize problem only occurs under wifi connection, tried a few wifi networks, same problem remains.
    05-22-13 12:24 AM
    Have you people ever used mobile email via WiFi on any other device?

Because a lot of these issues are universal, not Blackberry-specific issues.

"WiFi" can mean many things. Every WiFi network has unique characteristics, and many of them block various types of traffic, or are misconfigured, or are poorly performing/unreliable.

One very common issue pertains to IMAP. IMAP's "push" new-mail notification mechanism has certain network requirements that are often not supported in various WiFi networks, including many home WiFi networks, due to limitations of the hardware, or misconfiguration.

Another common issue are people who have setup an email account to relay mail through their mobile carrier's email infrastructure, which commonly will not accept traffic coming from "foreign networks". (ie if you are using WiFi, rather than the carrier's internet link)
    jamesbondOO7 likes this.
    05-26-13 09:35 AM

Because a lot of these issues are universal, not Blackberry-specific issues.

"WiFi" can mean many things. Every WiFi network has unique characteristics, and many of them block various types of traffic, or are misconfigured, or are poorly performing/unreliable.

One very common issue pertains to IMAP. IMAP's "push" new-mail notification mechanism has certain network requirements that are often not supported in various WiFi networks, including many home WiFi networks, due to limitations of the hardware, or misconfiguration.

Another common issue are people who have setup an email account to relay mail through their mobile carrier's email infrastructure, which commonly will not accept traffic coming from "foreign networks". (ie if you are using WiFi, rather than the carrier's internet link)
    I am on the same carrier as I was previously.
    I am accessing the same email account(s) as I was accessing previously.
    I have the same router as I did previously
    I am subscribed to the same ISP as previously.

I DID NOT have the same problem when I was using the 9900 or the 9700 or the .... when connecting on and off the WiFi network at home OR at the office. I did have my accounts showing NOT CONNECTED on my Q10, yesterday - AFTER I had connected to the WiFi. A restart of the device resolved the issue and the accounts were fine.

Hope you get my point.

Mate, if it is a problem - there is no point in dressing it up.
    Last edited by L o r d R a j; 05-26-13 at 02:37 PM.
    05-26-13 02:12 PM
    Who is your email accts with and who's service is your wifi.

Posted from my Q10 proudly
    05-26-13 02:25 PM
    I DID NOT have the same problem when I was using the 9900 or the 9700 or the .... when connecting on and off the WiFi network at home OR at the office. I did have my accounts showing NOT CONNECTED on my Q10, yesterday - AFTER I had connected to the WiFi. A restart of the device resolved the issue and the accounts were fine.

Hope you get my point.

Mate, if it is a problem - there is no point in dressing it up.

I am not "dressing up" anything.

You realize that the way your previous Blackberries retrieve email is not like ANY other smartphone platform, right?

And you realize that Blackberry 10 now works very similiarly to other smartphone platforms in that regard, NOT like the older generation products, right?

So in this particular case, it would not be surprising in the least that you might encounter issues that you did not have before, because email retrieval on the device is fundamentally different, architecturally, than the previous devices that use BIS.

Here are some documents I have created on those subjects:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...yncing-777774/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...de-bis-786880/
    John Pawling and jamesbondOO7 like this.
    05-26-13 06:57 PM
    Call it what you want and give it all the technical excuses that you want. The fact remains that emails are not working properly on the BlackBerry 10 under wifi. It worked with numerous BlackBerry devices and also currently with a Nexus S and iPhone 4s and 5.

Fix it BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    05-26-13 08:51 PM
    Call it what you want and give it all the technical excuses that you want. The fact remains that emails are not working properly on the BlackBerry 10 under wifi. It worked with numerous BlackBerry devices and also currently with a Nexus S and iPhone 4s and 5.

Fix it BlackBerry.

Yes Blackberry, please fix this person's WiFi network.

JRLebel: Please explain what you mean by "not working properly". Is that what you tell the mechanic when you bring your car in for repair?

• Mechanic: Hello! What can I do for you today?
    • JRLebel: It's not working properly.
    • Mechanic: Oh, what seems to be the problem?
    • JRLebel: Don't you get it? It's not working properly. Fix it!
    John Pawling and Kruszynka like this.
    05-26-13 09:06 PM

You realize that the way your previous Blackberries retrieve email is not like ANY other smartphone platform, right?

And you realize that Blackberry 10 now works very similiarly to other smartphone platforms in that regard, NOT like the older generation products, right?
    So it is NOT like ANY OTHER smartphone platform... YET very similar to other smartphone platform in that regard !?
    Would you like to rephrase that?

Moving on - JUST TO satisfy all possibilities - I borrowed my cousin's Samsung Galaxy Pro (Not really a fan of androids) and set up my email accounts on it.
    It worked fine on the Carrier network AND worked fine over the WiFi network without getting Disconnected.

Do you see the point I am trying to make?

AGAIN - This (Email accounts showing Not Connected after a connecting to WiFi) IS a problem.

The PROBLEM is - Email accounts get DISCONNECTED after a connection is established over the WiFi.
    Last edited by L o r d R a j; 05-26-13 at 11:57 PM.
    05-26-13 11:42 PM
    Yes Blackberry, please fix this person's WiFi network.

JRLebel: Please explain what you mean by "not working properly". Is that what you tell the mechanic when you bring your car in for repair?

Very simply put - Convincing YOU that this is a problem is not going to solve anything.
    You INSISTING that:
    - This may be how it is INTENDED to behave .
    - This is how the Q10 does things... and there is nothing wrong 'technically' wrong with it.
    isn't going to solve anything either.

Anybody using the device and connecting over WiFi on a regular basis would appreciate it if the upcoming updates would FIX the bug/issue and it would be rather pathetic if the response is something along the lines of "You are holding it wrong".
    Last edited by L o r d R a j; 05-27-13 at 12:18 AM.
    05-27-13 12:01 AM
    So far all is well for me. No issues.
    05-27-13 12:14 AM
    So it is NOT like ANY OTHER smartphone platform... YET very similar to other smartphone platform in that regard !?
    Would you like to rephrase that?

Not at all. You need to re-read the post that you just quoted. Let me help you:

See how sentence #1 refers to "previous Blackberries", and sentence #2 refers to "Blackberry 10"?

You can thank me for that reading comprehension lesson whenever you like.

The PROBLEM is - Email accounts get DISCONNECTED after a connection is established over the WiFi.

Actually that particular issue is a general issue with the OS, regardless which method of connection you are using.

Matter of fact, there's a Blackberry knowledgebase article on it, at least as pertaining to POP accounts anyway:

KB33834-Email accounts integrated using POP are repeatedly and incorrectly marked as invalid

It would be helpful if you would share with us which email provider you are using, and better yet, what account settings (ie email server hostname, protocol and port) to better assist you.

Just imagine you're talking to the mechanic guy.
    05-27-13 01:14 AM
    Not at all. You need to re-read the post that you just quoted. Let me help you:

See how sentence #1 refers to "previous Blackberries", and sentence #2 refers to "Blackberry 10"?

You can thank me for that reading comprehension lesson whenever you like.

Actually that particular issue is a general issue with the OS, regardless which method of connection you are using.

Matter of fact, there's a Blackberry knowledgebase article on it, at least as pertaining to POP accounts anyway:

KB33834-Email accounts integrated using POP are repeatedly and incorrectly marked as invalid

It would be helpful if you would share with us which email provider you are using, and better yet, what account settings (ie email server hostname, protocol and port) to better assist you.

Just imagine you're talking to the mechanic guy.
    Thank you.

Now with THAT out of the way - the KB article states the error:
    Your login information for POP server <mail.example.com> has changed or is incorrect. Please check your Account settings.
    In the case being discussed here - the issue is - Email Account is shown as 'Not Connected'. It might be SIMILAR to the issue being discussed in that particular KB but not identical.
    The work around suggested in that KB is not applicable to the issue being discussed. The work around that does work is disconnecting from WiFi and restarting the BlackBerry device.

Details - In my specific case, it happened with 2 gmail (IMAP) addresses
    Last edited by L o r d R a j; 05-27-13 at 01:36 AM.
    05-27-13 01:23 AM
    Thank you AGAIN, for at least coming around to stating that it just MIGHT BE an OS issue. As compared to your previous posts where you expressed your doubts if users of this forum had ever used a WiFi to access email on a handset --

Considerable progress if you ask me.
    05-27-13 01:25 AM
    In the case being discussed here - the issue is - Email Account is shown as 'Not Connected'. It might be SIMILAR to the issue being discussed in the KB but not identical.
    The work around suggested in the KB is not applicable to the issue being discussed. The work around that does work is restarting the device.

Details - In my specific case, it happened with 2 gmail (IMAP) addresses

I recognize the issue may not be identical to what is described in the KB article.

However many people have discussed the general issue of the device "forgetting email passwords", it is not an issue that is limited to POP, and as a matter of fact, it was an issue with the Playbook OS before.

What do you have the IMAP "Sync Interval" set to?

There are also a variety of idiosyncracies with the way Gmail does IMAP, which is typical for them.

One common issue with mobile devices is that they tend to be "suspicious" of them, and sometimes may require a login to the web interface to get additional authentication via a captcha or some other mechanism. And sometimes Google forces people to create what they call an "application-specific password" to use a mobile device. In a nutshell, they would rather you login to a web interface and look at advertising.

The fact that Google email products work peachy on Android products should be self-evident, BTW.
    John Pawling likes this.
    05-27-13 01:33 AM
    I recognize the issue may not be identical to what is described in the KB article.

However many people have discussed the general issue of the device "forgetting email passwords", it is not an issue that is limited to POP, and as a matter of fact, it was an issue with the Playbook OS before.
    Well, the one being discussed in THIS thread is NOT forgetting email passwords or having to re-enter passwords. (you did read the first post of this thread, surely).

Many people have discussed MANY issues in (mostly) issue specific threads. I don't see why they need to be addressed here.

What do you have the IMAP "Sync Interval" set to?
    24 hrs

One common issue with mobile devices is that they tend to be "suspicious" of them, and sometimes may require a login to the web interface to get additional authentication via a captcha or some other mechanism.
    Again - That is NOT what is happening here. The Email accounts show Not Connected when device is connected to WiFi. Are you trying to imply that Google is suspicious of my WiFi network? Please note - It doesn't deem the WiFi to be suspicious when I use the same network on any other device - laptop/handheld.
    Is Google suspecting my device to be suspicious? Please note - It doesn't deem the device to be suspicious when I use the carrier network on the same device.

If it is in fact concluding that my device / WiFi is suspicious, then how come the issue gets resolved with a reboot of the device? Once rebooted (without logging in to the web interface on said device or any other device or entering a captcha) Google has somehow NOW determined that my device / WiFi network is no longer suspicious?

A bit far fetched, don't you think?
    05-27-13 01:42 AM
    As much as I would like to blame Google / Gmail for this (and I do blame them for a lot of things), THIS particular issue does seem to be a device/OS issue.
    05-27-13 01:52 AM
    Well, the one being discussed in THIS thread is NOT forgetting email passwords or having to re-enter passwords. (you did read the first post of this thread, surely).

What you apparently don't realize is that the main reason I have seen for an account to be switched to "disconnected" status on a BB10 device, is because it has "forgotten" the password.

So I would suggest trying to re-enter the password, then try a manual sync. If that doesn't work, and if the account isn't full of a bunch of critical messages you want to save (ie sent messages), you can also try removing and re-configuring it. People sometimes report success with that.

Though obviously if it normally sorts itself after a reboot, that's a much less destructive approach.

The Email accounts show Not Connected when device is connected to WiFi. Are you trying to imply that Google is suspicious of my WiFi network?

One of the problems here is that BB10 is pretty obtuse when it comes to providing diagnostic information or logs. So this "not connected" thing is, IMHO, a pretty useless status/error, because one has no idea what that actually means. As I mentioned above, in my experience, the usual reason it goes into that state is the password thing. I have had it happen many times on my device.

Worse, it just silently fails and you don't realize it has failed until you realize that you are no longer receiving new messages. In the scenarios I've experienced, I have to go into each account's setting details just to see that it's gotten into that state.

Please note - It doesn't deem the device to be suspicious when I use the carrier network on the same device.

That can be due to Gmail idiosyncracies. Do you connect to Gmail using generic IMAP clients using something other than a dedicated Gmail or Android app? Works OK then?
    05-27-13 01:56 AM
    I'm connected via wifi 90% of the time (with mobile data services disabled), and have never had a problem connecting to or bringing in all my email.

Posted via CB10 on my sexy Q10
    05-27-13 02:05 AM
124 123 ...