Awful awful awful. Well it has been a great ride. I am going to wait as long as possible and see if some kind of Blackberry is available by the cut-off date.

Your BlackBerry service will be discontinued.

It’s time to upgrade.

Hi xxxx,

We’ve been notified by BlackBerry that they are discontinuing services for BlackBerry 7.1 OS and earlier, BlackBerry 10 software, BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.1 and earlier versions. The termination date of these services is January 4, 2022.

Impacted devices will no longer reliably function. This includes data, phone calls, SMS and 9-1-1 functionality. For a list of impacted devices or additional device information, please visit BlackBerry’s support page.

We want you to stay connected and have the best experience possible. Please upgrade your device before January 4, 2022. To get started, sign in to your My Verizon account, visit a local Verizon store, or contact us at 800.922.0204 to discuss your new device options. Or view special upgrade offers here.
    08-09-21 10:44 AM
    Awful awful awful. Well it has been a great ride. I am going to wait as long as possible and see if some kind of Blackberry is available by the cut-off date.

It’s time to upgrade.

Hi xxxx,

We’ve been notified by BlackBerry that they are discontinuing services for BlackBerry 7.1 OS and earlier, BlackBerry 10 software, BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.1 and earlier versions. The termination date of these services is January 4, 2022.

Impacted devices will no longer reliably function. This includes data, phone calls, SMS and 9-1-1 functionality. For a list of impacted devices or additional device information, please visit BlackBerry’s support page.

We want you to stay connected and have the best experience possible. Please upgrade your device before January 4, 2022. To get started, sign in to your My Verizon account, visit a local Verizon store, or contact us at 800.922.0204 to discuss your new device options. Or view special upgrade offers here.
    There’s plenty of successor BlackBerry devices from VZW since then. If you’re wanting to stay with VZW look at the Key2 LE which VZW offered until recently. If the next OM device ever happens, it still may not meet your needs
    VALuddite likes this.
    08-09-21 10:49 AM
    Unfortunately for me I probably have to stay with VZW because of the superior coverage in this area, and last time I checked a few months back there was literally no option available to me with a physical keyboard, so they completely stopped offering the Key2 at some point. Here's hoping for OM or Unihertz.
    08-09-21 10:54 AM

It’s time to upgrade.

Hi xxxx,

BlackBerry is out of the phone business. OM is MIA, but even Jan isn't very likely for them now - they might announce something or lauch it, but it won't get shipped to you before then.

If you must have a PKB.... I'd find a KEY2 while you can, I suspect their prices will only go up as the deadline approaches. But then your risking life on Android without security patches going forward.

But I'd call the number listed and see what they will offer you in a SLAB, don't like the deal.... start watching for specials on either Apple, Samsung or Google phones with VZW. And if you have time and want the best deal, port your number over to Xfinity for 90 days and then come back as a new line...
    VALuddite likes this.
    08-09-21 11:01 AM
    BlackBerry is out of the phone business. OM is MIA, but even Jan isn't very likely for them now - they might announce something or lauch it, but it won't get shipped to you before then.

If you must have a PKB.... I'd find a KEY2 while you can, I suspect their prices will only go up as the deadline approaches. But then your risking life on Android without security patches going forward.

But I'd call the number listed and see what they will offer you in a SLAB, don't like the deal.... start watching for specials on either Apple, Samsung or Google phones with VZW. And if you have time and want the best deal, port your number over to Xfinity for 90 days and then come back as a new line...
    That's really good advice about switching carriers temporarily, thank you! I do have a foldable bluetooth keyboard saved in my shopping list at Amazon in preparation for the worst case scenario.
    08-09-21 11:07 AM
    My heart sank as I read my e-mail. I can live without the internet through my phone, but even making telephone calls won't work/become unreliable. Ugh. I don't want the Android phone from Blackberry, because I fear Blackberry will abandon that platform too and leave the cell phone business entirely. Any thoughts?
    08-09-21 11:30 AM
    My heart sank as I read my e-mail. I can live without the internet through my phone, but even making telephone calls won't work/become unreliable. Ugh. I don't want the Android phone from Blackberry, because I fear Blackberry will abandon that platform too and leave the cell phone business entirely. Any thoughts?
    BlackBerry Limited exited back in 2016 from a technicality standpoint. BlackBerry Mobile exited back in 2020 so I’m not sure what you think your current situation is?
    Laura Knotek and Trouveur like this.
    08-09-21 11:35 AM
    BlackBerry has already left the phone business entirely several years ago.
    08-09-21 11:38 AM
    Yeah the newest BlackBerry Android is stuck on Android 8.... 12 is getting release this year.

While some KEY2 might have one or two patches in them.... they are still about to be four version behind, and some are already having issues with their work not supporting out of date items.

AFAWK.... OM was only getting a sticker, no BlackBerry designs or BlackBerry's Android Secure or BlackBerry's Suite of Apps. But I think OM is becoming less a possibility at this point.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-09-21 11:46 AM
    That's really good advice about switching carriers temporarily, thank you! I do have a foldable bluetooth keyboard saved in my shopping list at Amazon in preparation for the worst case scenario.
    Xfinity uses VZW network so coverage is the same.... they do pay as you go, so no problem just using them 90 days. And their plans are pretty cheap. If not for the issues of being a 3rd class customer on the network... I'd have stuck with them.

BlackFriday is a great time to buy a new phone....
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-09-21 11:50 AM
    Xfinity uses VZW network so coverage is the same.... they do pay as you go, so no problem just using them 90 days. And their plans are pretty cheap. If not for the issues of being a 3rd class customer on the network... I'd have stuck with them.

BlackFriday is a great time to buy a new phone....
    Shazam! date saved, much obliged!
    08-09-21 12:01 PM
    Ugh, I was worried this was coming! What device do they deem as an appropriate replacement for K1 for free?

There is also no guarantee the OM phone will work with Verizon. If it even ever comes out.

Conite, what would you recommend now? I know you have mentioned the Pixel 4a, but that is a year or two old, no?
    08-09-21 01:18 PM
    Ugh, I was worried this was coming! What device do they deem as an appropriate replacement for K1 for free?

There is also no guarantee the OM phone will work with Verizon. If it even ever comes out.

Conite, what would you recommend now? I know you have mentioned the Pixel 4a, but that is a year or two old, no?
    This specific message from VZW is not about BlackBerry Android devices, so KeyOne isn't of concern.
    Trouveur likes this.
    08-09-21 01:21 PM

Keyone is in this group.

Pixel 4a was released just last summer....

But the 5a should be here in a few weeks, and the Pixel 6 is shaping up to be a really big upgrade sometime later in the year.

Bottom line the main phones that Verizon sells and promotes, Samsung, Apple and Pixel all have their benefits and negatives... depending on your usage.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-09-21 01:23 PM

How about a Pixel 5a? Comes out in a couple of weeks.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-09-21 01:29 PM

The Pixel 4a prices will drop once the 5a is out, so you can grab a 4a for cheap as a bridge device until the new OnwardBerry hopefully comes out.

There will likely be little difference between the 5a and 4a (as with most slabs).
    08-09-21 03:27 PM
    This specific message from VZW is not about BlackBerry Android devices, so KeyOne isn't of concern.
    The Verizon K1 never got the android upgrade and is on 7.
    08-09-21 03:29 PM
    The Pixel 4a prices will drop once the 5a is out, so you can grab a 4a for cheap as a bridge device until the new OnwardBerry hopefully comes out.

There will likely be little difference between the 5a and 4a (as with most slabs).
    As with most phone... not like there was much difference between a KEYone and a KEY2? For some it wasn't even worth the "upgrade".

At this point I'd get what I wanted and pretend like OM doesn't even exist... if they do manage to get a device out, cross that bridge then.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-09-21 04:00 PM
    I'm not following...
    08-09-21 04:00 PM
    I'm not following...
    CDMA KEYone devices stayed in Nougat.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-09-21 04:06 PM
    CDMA KEYone devices stayed in Nougat.
    Is it affected somehow by the BB0S/BB10/Playbook shutdown?
    08-09-21 04:41 PM
    Is it affected somehow by the BB0S/BB10/Playbook shutdown?
    I agree it has nothing to do with BBOS. I was just explaining what he was referring to.
    08-09-21 04:44 PM
    not like there was much difference between a KEYone and a KEY2? For some it wasn't even worth the "upgrade".
    Oh there is. In terms of design and keyboard, huge difference. But the display is exactly the same, and the camera is...worse.

Oh and @idssteve can attest to the massive improvement in weight distribution with the KEY2.
    08-09-21 04:46 PM
    The message refers to BBOS 7, not Android 7.
    08-09-21 04:46 PM
    Oh there is. In terms of design and keyboard, huge difference. But the display is exactly the same, and the camera is...worse.

Oh and @idssteve can attest to the massive improvement in weight distribution with the KEY2.
    Anyone not into physical keyboards would see almost zero difference. So surely you understand the comparison.

But an extra wide-angle camera sensor, 5G connectivity, a faster SoC, and a larger screen mean far more to almost everyone than a slightly better pkb.
    08-09-21 04:47 PM
110 123 ...