@Chuck Finley69
    I see! In Europe, there is no talk about shutting down 2G and 3G, as far as I know.... But indeed, in the US, it seems that 3G will be shut down already in dec. 2021, so this would make some of the BB devices already obsolete, before the EOL in jan. 4 2022!

Here the source: Amazon warns people that have old kindles, that they will stop connecting to 3g in december:
    https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/...s-year-4154773
    Last edited by horia_m; 08-12-21 at 04:38 AM.
    08-10-21 04:36 PM
    Unlike some here, I'm not pretending to be a business expert.

I just strongly believe that with Samsung's brand strength, marketing pull and carrier/retailer relations, it will sell enough for them not to lose money. I obviously cannot confirm that it will sell better than some of their other models. But it would sell.
    You keep ignoring the fact that breaking even would be a monumental failure.
    08-10-21 04:44 PM
    Come on guys. Lets try to leave the arguments out of this only discuss VZW shutdown related suggestions/information.
    horia_m and Laura Knotek like this.
    08-10-21 04:45 PM
    Unlike some here, I'm not pretending to be a business expert.

I just strongly believe that with Samsung's brand strength, marketing pull and carrier/retailer relations, it will sell enough for them not to lose money. I obviously cannot confirm that it will sell better than some of their other models. But it would sell.
    One doesn’t have to be an expert to understand the simplest of P&L calculations. The calculations you use to calculate not losing money simply means there’s not enough demand. I’m only stating the calculation has to produce a number of ROI substantial enough to be greater than lowest number the company sets as the acceptable number to meet fiduciary obligation to shareholders.

In simple terms, no industry leader sets out with any idea to ever just break even and more importantly for anything less than huge returns. It’s also why the startups like OM struggle to find backers since the opportunity was taking advantage of TCL sunk licensing costs and publicity. The Unihertz model is lower risk and lower reward but rather limited is size and scope. That’s why I keep pointing to LG and their sunk costs. Don’t you think LG has some good competitor data on TCL in general as similar industrial OEMs and not just mobile devices. I’m certain that LG passed up on the opportunity to purchase BlackBerry Limited in 2013-2014 time frame and passed up on BlackBerry licensing in 2015-2016 time frame. As mobile device OEM, LG has been throwing Hail Mary passes as long as BlackBerry with just huge enormous pockets of money from their other revenue streams.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-10-21 05:19 PM
    Awful awful awful. Well it has been a great ride. I am going to wait as long as possible and see if some kind of Blackberry is available by the cut-off date.

Your BlackBerry service will be discontinued.

It’s time to upgrade.

Hi xxxx,

We’ve been notified by BlackBerry that they are discontinuing services for BlackBerry 7.1 OS and earlier, BlackBerry 10 software, BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.1 and earlier versions. The termination date of these services is January 4, 2022.

Impacted devices will no longer reliably function. This includes data, phone calls, SMS and 9-1-1 functionality. For a list of impacted devices or additional device information, please visit BlackBerry’s support page.

We want you to stay connected and have the best experience possible. Please upgrade your device before January 4, 2022. To get started, sign in to your My Verizon account, visit a local Verizon store, or contact us at 800.922.0204 to discuss your new device options. Or view special upgrade offers here.
    I just spoke with ATT in US and they will continue with BB Keyone BBB-100-1 & the Priv not the Keytwo so far they said it's not the 3 or 4g it's that unlocked phones don't have HD Voice, that's what it's all about the phones that will carry over need HD VOICE or STV connections whatever that means. So I have to now buy a Keyone to replace battery prob with Keytwo Crazy ??
    11-05-21 11:26 AM
    I just spoke with ATT in US and they will continue with BB Keyone BBB-100-1 & the Priv not the Keytwo so far they said it's not the 3 or 4g it's that unlocked phones don't have HD Voice, that's what it's all about the phones that will carry over need HD VOICE or STV connections whatever that means. So I have to now buy a Keyone to replace battery prob with Keytwo Crazy ??
    All "unlocked" phones have VoLTE capabilities, it's just that AT&T only allow VoLTE to work if you buy your phone from them, or if it's on their approved list of BYOD.

Only one of the 60 variants of the KEYone, and one of the many variants of the Priv will work.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-05-21 02:18 PM
    Thank you, CS told me BBB100-1 for bb Keyone my first Keyone had to be replaced due to the screen becoming loose so hoping I can find a new one so I don't have battery issues to begin with. I do wish we would hear anything at all from Onward Mobile
    11-05-21 05:37 PM
    Thank you, CS told me BBB100-1 for bb Keyone my first Keyone had to be replaced due to the screen becoming loose so hoping I can find a new one so I don't have battery issues to begin with. I do wish we would hear anything at all from Onward Mobile
    AT&T is my primary carrier. I own both AT&T branded PRIV, the AT&T branded KEYone and couldn’t recommend either since their specs are so outdated.
    11-05-21 09:07 PM
    I know you're right I'm just hoping to hang on till the Key3 as I haven't given up totally yet so I really don't care much about apps, games, or streaming only Whatsapp, Text, calls, google search, & photo storage that's all I use my phone for I just don't want to switch to another brand of android, not until I really have zero choice Please advise if I should keep hanging on or if no hope Thx
    11-06-21 09:46 AM
    I know you're right I'm just hoping to hang on till the Key3 as I haven't given up totally yet so I really don't care much about apps, games, or streaming only Whatsapp, Text, calls, google search, & photo storage that's all I use my phone for I just don't want to switch to another brand of android, not until I really have zero choice Please advise if I should keep hanging on or if no hope Thx
    I go back to AT&T via McCaw about 90-91 for my original mobile phone and they're still my primary carrier with (9-11) lines, although I have two (2) lines with T-Mobile and one (1) VZW line. I rely on these lines for personal and business use.

My phones are how I make a living and keeping myself secure and private is a big part of for my customers and clients data. I was forced to give up my KEYones and Motion stuck on Android 8.1 while the Key2 never even became an option with it's limited time window.

The impending 5G rollout / 3G shutdown combination seems as if possibly, it will even mean the demise of my various newer iPhones, recent Pixels and various carrier locked 4G VoLTE supported devices let alone the factory unlocked devices. I really don't expect any future BlackBerry licensed devices and even if there is one, 5G capable, I would only buy from a carrier so as to guarantee network coverage and carrier support.

My recent 5G experience with the Pixel 5a only illustrates the unknown issues with the cutover from 3G into 5G bands. In my area, AT&T/T-Mobile use lots of tower coverage and three primary bands. Some 3G has been turned down in the last 3-4 weeks, for switchover testing I suspect, and the 5G isn't helping coverage yet. Even with 5G/NR, I'm still connecting to 4GLTE/VoLTE 80-100% of time. I wouldn't recommend spending any serious money on a device or plan until the actual shutdown happens. If you must, for whatever reason, pick a device from your carrier now, with 5G, that is NEW release. For me, that's iPhone 13, Pixel 6, S21, A52 or A32 of the 5G models only released this year.

Unfortunately you're at the limited choice, zero choice at this point if you depend on a single device. If your current device is already paid for Key2, I'd consider getting a prepaid T-Mobile line and testing coverage for now.
    11-06-21 10:39 AM
110 ... 345