If one uses the stock launcher that is found on an Android device, there is a completely different experience with a Pixel device and a Samsung device.

There are also huge differences between Android and iOS.
    I didn't feel like I had a significantly different experience between using a Pixel 3a and an S10e. Within an app, it's exactly the same. I did prefer stock Pixel launcher to One UI, especially because the latter has very ugly icons.

Anyway, most of the time is usually spent within an app, not on the homescreen. (also, keyboard shortcuts make it even less necessary to spend time swiping around on a homescreen).
    08-09-21 08:07 PM
    I didn't feel like I had a significantly different experience between using a Pixel 3a and an S10e. Within an app, it's exactly the same. I did prefer stock Pixel launcher to One UI, especially because the latter has very ugly icons.

Anyway, most of the time is usually spent within an app, not on the homescreen. (also, keyboard shortcuts make it even less necessary to spend time swiping around on a homescreen).
    You didn't notice much difference between the Pixel 3a and the S10e, but I could say that I didn't notice much difference between the Nokia E71 and the BlackBerry 9000. Both of those devices had physical keyboards, and I didn't notice anything different about the keyboards that made any difference to me. I just liked BBOS better than Symbian.
    08-09-21 08:14 PM
    You didn't notice much difference between the Pixel 3a and the S10e, but I could say that I didn't notice much difference between the Nokia E71 and the BlackBerry 9000. Both of those devices had physical keyboards, and I didn't notice anything different about the keyboards that made any difference to me. I just liked BBOS better than Symbian.
    Hmm...

VS

bh7171 and horia_m like this.
    08-09-21 09:00 PM

[IMG=572x234]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210810/faca10d8cf0b86edf81aa7657b6c64e1.jpg[/url]
    Yeah, but what do all those slabs look like when the screen is ON?

I buy my phones because of what they offer while I use them. Not because of what it looks like totally dead.

For the record, I use the Always On Display, so there's always something showing on my screen. It's kind of dim (as it should be), but I see the time/date and the latest notification icons to let me know if I have e-mail from home or work (by color), calendar reminders, any texts, or a Teams notification. Those are pretty much all I allow.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-09-21 09:37 PM
    Hmm...

[IMG=714x491]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210810/6f5c43c1a62204f965b5a957bd9b915a.jpg[/url]

VS

[IMG=572x234]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210810/faca10d8cf0b86edf81aa7657b6c64e1.jpg[/url]
    I noticed no difference in the typing, and the camera was much better on the Nokia. However, I liked the BBOS better. The apps and features, not the appearance of the keyboard, made all the difference.
    John Albert likes this.
    08-09-21 10:07 PM
    I cannot vouch for other carriers, but U.S. Mobile still works with BBOS phones, assuming you don't want BIS. I have a Curve 9300 on U.S. Mobile, running EDGE (yes EDGE, off the T-Mobile network presumably). Calls and texts come and go just fine. I shut off data because I don't need it. Hey, privacy right there for you!
    horia_m likes this.
    08-09-21 10:28 PM

Nowadays, the differentiation factor could be anything other than the physical keyboard.

People have spoken out. They don't like a physical keyboard on a phone.
    Do you think all these big manufacturers are dumb that they randomly stopped producing any PK phones?.

BlackBerry has tried over and over, but they kept failing since the Bold 9900 days. In fact, I will be very surprised if Onward Mobility would release anything any time soon or ever!
    08-09-21 11:13 PM
    Awful awful awful. Well it has been a great ride. I am going to wait as long as possible and see if some kind of Blackberry is available by the cut-off date.

Your BlackBerry service will be discontinued.

It’s time to upgrade.

Hi xxxx,

We’ve been notified by BlackBerry that they are discontinuing services for BlackBerry 7.1 OS and earlier, BlackBerry 10 software, BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.1 and earlier versions. The termination date of these services is January 4, 2022.

Impacted devices will no longer reliably function. This includes data, phone calls, SMS and 9-1-1 functionality. For a list of impacted devices or additional device information, please visit BlackBerry’s support page.

We want you to stay connected and have the best experience possible. Please upgrade your device before January 4, 2022. To get started, sign in to your My Verizon account, visit a local Verizon store, or contact us at 800.922.0204 to discuss your new device options. Or view special upgrade offers here.
    Hang in there. Their website still says 2021. I'm praying they love uo to that. 8/19 will be the anniversary of their announcement. I'm expecting great things.
    08-09-21 11:36 PM
    I cannot vouch for other carriers, but U.S. Mobile still works with BBOS phones, assuming you don't want BIS. I have a Curve 9300 on U.S. Mobile, running EDGE (yes EDGE, off the T-Mobile network presumably). Calls and texts come and go just fine. I shut off data because I don't need it. Hey, privacy right there for you!
    Today it will.... but when BlackBerry shuts down their servers, on Jan 4th.... that's it.

And as US Mobile just uses other carrier's networks, it has to follow the rules of whichever carrier they are using...
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-10-21 07:12 AM
    The message refers to BBOS 7, not Android 7.
    Oh my bad completely! Disregard my previous comments.
    08-10-21 08:02 AM

People have spoken out. They don't like a physical keyboard on a phone.
    Most people left their keyboard phones in 2011-2013 because that was the only way to get a screen at least 4" in size, and the tremendous possibilities of an app ecosystem.
    They didn't leave because they suddenly wanted to type on glass. And why is that? Because it's worse.

Digital keyboards are nothing but a limited substitute to real ones.
    08-10-21 08:17 AM
    Yeah, but what do all those slabs look like when the screen is ON?

I buy my phones because of what they offer while I use them. Not because of what it looks like totally dead.
    They look like slabs with big screens and a hole punch or notch at the top. That's what they look like with the screen on.

(Little to) no distinction, all roughly the same, same overall experience.
    08-10-21 08:20 AM
    They look like slabs with big screens and a hole punch or notch at the top. That's what they look like with the screen on.

I disagree. Different phone makers look very different with the screen on. Even slight customizations of the same stock launcher can make two phones from the same OEM look different.

Otherwise, I can say all keyboard phones look the same to me. Turn the screen off for the two keyboard phones in your image above and they just look like two keyboard phones. Curved frets isn't that much of a differentiator. It's just rows of buttons taking up half the face of the phone.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-10-21 08:32 AM
    I disagree. Different phone makers look very different with the screen on. Even slight customizations of the same stock launcher can make two phones from the same OEM look different.

Otherwise, I can say all keyboard phones look the same to me. Turn the screen off for the two keyboard phones in your image above and they just look like two keyboard phones. Curved frets isn't that much of a differentiator. It's just rows of buttons taking up half the face of the phone.
    This exactly. To average person, not a reviewer or enthusiast, the difference in appearance isn’t noticeable, screens off, VKBs and PKBs look the same respective.

I grew up in the leather goods business. I can distinguish wallets, belts and purses from a distance and even better up close. What I’ve learned in any leather goods store is that average consumer sees various colors and that’s about it. Preferences develop with use and experience but people know what they want far more than enthusiasts realize.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-10-21 08:41 AM

Explain why out of the 50+ slabs in my price range, only about 3 would be viable contenders for me.
    08-10-21 08:42 AM

So? I can also make my KEY2 homescreen look just as different with custom launchers and icon packs.

Ahh yes, so distinctive.

08-10-21 08:57 AM
    Most people left their keyboard phones in 2011-2013 because that was the only way to get a screen at least 4" in size, and the tremendous possibilities of an app ecosystem.
    They didn't leave because they suddenly wanted to type on glass. And why is that? Because it's worse.

Digital keyboards are nothing but a limited substitute to real ones.
    But they go away the 80% of the time people aren't using them.... and that is the reason people accepted the VKB. Typing isn't the end all use that it once was on a smartphone.

If you could put a keyboard on a phone for free in a slider form factor - no additional cost, no have to give up battery life or going to make it with plastic or the camera isn't great.... then maybe you could attract users. But the minute they have to pay more for a feature they don't feel they need... END GAME.

And it's always going to cost more...
    08-10-21 09:00 AM
    So? I can also make my KEY2 homescreen look just as different with custom launchers and icon packs.

Ahh yes, so distinctive.

[IMG=655x259]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210810/825510d2b6e72e7e40565e24f8d5b9ff.jpg[/url][IMG=810x407]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210810/9ae22388f7e5b881d98ae9130c082cc1.jpg[/url]
    I still see all off screens on the slabs, while half the keyboard phones are on. Keyboard phones still look like keyboard phones.

I can do this all day.
    Laura Knotek and John Albert like this.
    08-10-21 09:01 AM
    If you could put a keyboard on a phone for free in a slider form factor - no additional cost, no have to give up battery life or going to make it with plastic or the camera isn't great.... then maybe you could attract users. But the minute they have to pay more for a feature they don't feel they need... END GAME.

And it's always going to cost more...
    Sure, it'll cost a bit more, all specs and features being equal.

But they could strip a few features/specs here and there and have that slider bring 95% the same experience as the comparable slab model, at the same price.

For example, the slab has a flagship 865 processor, the slider has upper midrange 765G. Very little perceptible difference in daily use by 98% of consumers.
    08-10-21 09:21 AM
    I still see all off screens on the slabs, while half the keyboard phones are on. Keyboard phones still look like keyboard phones.

I can do this all day.
    Even if the screens were all off on the PKB phones, I think we get the idea. Slabs look at least 90% the same (hole punch in middle vs corner vs tiny notch)

A different launcher, wallpaper and icon pack is something you can do on an Android PKB phone too, so I don't see how that's a special advantage to slabs.

Try again...
    08-10-21 09:23 AM
    Xfinity uses VZW network so coverage is the same.... they do pay as you go, so no problem just using them 90 days. And their plans are pretty cheap. If not for the issues of being a 3rd class customer on the network... I'd have stuck with them.

BlackFriday is a great time to buy a new phone....
    Is VZW shutting off access to 3G phones as ATT plans to? If not, will the Key2 that I have been using as a BYOD with ATT work on VZW's network (either directly or via Xfinity)?
    08-10-21 09:37 AM
    Is VZW shutting off access to 3G phones as ATT plans to? If not, will the Key2 that I have been using as a BYOD with ATT work on VZW's network (either directly or via Xfinity)?
    Yes VZW is shutting down their 3G network later in the year. My view is at that point, your going to want a 4G/5G phone to get full coverage.

But has nothing really to do with the KEY2 as it is 4G and capable of VoLTE (BB10 devices aren't capable of newer VoLTE).... it's just not certified with AT&T and they are more strict on what devices they'll SUPPORT on their network.

No VZW isn't supporting the KEY2 officially, only the KEY2 LE that they sell. But most have been successful getting the NA KEY2 activated and working (other than WiFi Calling). Might take extra calls to support or finding the right store to get it activated... Not sure about any MVNO that use VZW...
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-10-21 09:45 AM
    Yes VZW is shutting down their 3G network later in the year.

Has nothing really to do with the KEY2 as it is capable of VoLTE.... it's just not certified with AT&T and they are more strict.

No VZW isn't supporting the KEY2 officially, only the KEY2 LE that they sell. But most have been successful getting the NA KEY2 activated and working (other than WiFi Calling). Not sure about any MVNO that use VZW...
    So, why is everyone on the ATT thread talking about the need to get a slab in February 2022, rather than trying to get our Key2 to work on VZW?
    08-10-21 09:50 AM
    So, why is everyone on the ATT thread talking about the need to get a slab in February 2022, rather than trying to get our Key2 to work on VZW?
    You would have to ask them...

Maybe VZW prices, plans or coverage doesn't meet their needs?

Maybe they don't want to jump through hoop to get a phone activated, and have to hope there is no change to enforce the official policy?.

Maybe WiFi calling is important to them?

Maybe it's a three year old midgrade phone that is stuck on an almost four year old version of Android... and it's time to move on anyway?

KEY2 is best supported on T-Mobile.... if their coverage works for you.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-10-21 09:56 AM
    Where are Google phones made?
    08-10-21 10:35 AM
110 12345