03-27-13 04:30 AM
87 ... 234
tools
    I am totally conflicted. One one hand, I think the BB10 OS is the sort of OS that needs to be touched and felt. I think a full touch screen really plays to the OS' strengths. That said, I love the physical keyboard and I love the idea of a larger battery and a really long battery life.
    I agree I want that q10 for that keyboard but its like that z10 is calling my name...maybe I'll get the z10 use that then sell it n get the q10 when that comes out decisions decisions
    03-25-13 07:46 PM
    Fully agree and that is why I will have both and swap on a weekly basis.
    Hehe, that is not within my financial means. Having both phones would be a problematic hit on my savings. I grow impatient, so I am leaning towards a z10. I will still miss the feel of being businesslike with the QWERTY phone.
    03-25-13 10:57 PM
    The auto complete word flicking is something I really look forward to. I am mildly dyslexic so spelling and typing words has always been a PITA for me, .

Z10 sells the flick as "right under your fingertips". The Q10 has it as a tap on the screen above the keyboard.

so I am going to have to try out both phones to see what works quickest / most intuitively.

Also - I manage websites (forums like this) for a living. With that auto complete bar and the smaller screen I will have to see what readable area remains to work with on mobile optimised websites AND non mobile optimised. (So how much of the websites I can see at once without having to scroll all the time, in type mode and also browse / read mode)

As I type this on my iPhone - more than half the screen is lost to its crappy virtual keyboard.
    03-25-13 11:48 PM
    The auto complete word flicking is something I really look forward to. I am mildly dyslexic so spelling and typing words has always been a PITA for me, .

Z10 sells the flick as "right under your fingertips". The Q10 has it as a tap on the screen above the keyboard.

so I am going to have to try out both phones to see what works quickest / most intuitively.

Also - I manage websites (forums like this) for a living. With that auto complete bar and the smaller screen I will have to see what readable area remains to work with on mobile optimised websites AND non mobile optimised. (So how much of re websites I can see at once without having to scroll all the time, in type mode and also browse / read mode)

As I type this on my iPhone - more than half the screen is lost to its crappy virtual keyboard.
    I can tell you this, the "flick" sounds cool, but I honestly don't think it increases typing time. It seems more distracting. The Q10's IMO is better.
    03-25-13 11:58 PM
    What I would like is the physical keyboard attached to the Z10 screen -- NOT A SLIDER!! If it were a slider I would have a flashback to my 9800 which my 4 year old "uses."

Yes, it's big - but as I asked once, wouldn't it be nice to have the 9900-ish keyboard attached to the length of a 9800/10 screen? Kinda like a Z10 with a keyboard?
    03-26-13 11:28 AM
    I'm glad that BBRY has innovated a text input method that others find cool, but it's not for me. I used an Android slate phone for several months but never used any of the "predictive" text methods. I just don't get it. You have to stop what you're doing, look up at the options you have to complete the word, and then pick the word, then space/on to the next word. Almost like hunt and pecking. Compounding the issue further is the low benefit you get from using this method for simple, short words.

It just doesn't feel like typing; it feels like drawing words (Swype?) or grabbing words or something.

I am perfectly capable of spelling most words and understand and appreciate the English language. There a gratification for me that comes from the feeling of typing, which can't be replaced by any "virtual" keyboard and really not from poor physical keyboards either.

Just my thoughts.
    03-26-13 03:54 PM
    I've been backwards and forwards on this but at last I have the answer; I can't use the Z10 without my reading glasses. I don't need to see the real keyboard, and the flick doesn't work for me because the words are too small. We old guys need the Q10, because varifocals are no good when you are out - can't see things close to your feet.
    03-26-13 04:36 PM
    I love my Bold 9930 and am patiently waiting for the Q10, but.....I went to a tmo store today to play with a Z10 and, honestly, I have doubts. The word prediction works great, better than I would ever expect. But I agree that the Q10 offers more than just a qwerty keyboard.
    03-26-13 04:38 PM
    I've been backwards and forwards on this but at last I have the answer; I can't use the Z10 without my reading glasses. I don't need to see the real keyboard, and the flick doesn't work for me because the words are too small. We old guys need the Q10, because varifocals are no good when you are out - can't see things close to your feet.
    I have my varifocals cut 2 mm higher than "normal" because I do so much work on my phone.

Good point. Less eye strain if you are feeling your way rather than looking at all the ##**%**# iPhone typos!!
    03-26-13 04:44 PM
    I have been using a 9900 and previous models that use the mechanical keyboard QWERTY. Previously, I was using the virtual keyboard of the 9800. The 9800 virtual keyboard was fairly good. If I wanted the mechanical keyboard there was a slide out keyboard. I also tried some other types of phones that use a virtual keyboard. Most of these were fairly good, but my preference was to go back to the mechanical keyboard.

Now that I tried the Z10, I was very impressed. I have to admit that I must look down at the keyboard to use it. I can type about as fast on the Q10 as on the 9900. As I use the Z10, I am getting better at it. I can wiz along at a good typing rate with the Z10. Because the keyboard is not mechanical I found my thumbs are no longer having joint and muscle discomfort with very long use. I use the phone for my work, and also for personal use. I receive many emails per day, and have to do some research for my clients.

The big drawback with the Q10 is there will be about a 40% loss of screen size. The Z10 can have a full screen. With the Z10 the need for a tablet has decreased. I found I am using my tablet (Playbook) a lot less since I have the Z10. The Z10 browser and capability is very advanced for the size of this phone.
    03-26-13 07:09 PM
    I feel most of the challenges myself. Forcing myself to type on this "icerink" of a surface on a Z10. Typos for days especially with this Otter box for a case. Its getting better though, speeds getting there slow but sure. So reckon with practice, we'll be back to normal.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-13 08:02 PM
    I think this is an age thing. I find even the Galaxy Note isn't a PB replacement, and my sight is good for my age. The way I now see it is that the smaller screen on the Q10 isn't a drawback because I already know it is big enough for walking GPS, my car has a PB-size satnav screen, and I have a PB.
    I also suspect that in an emergency you can make a phone call with a Q10 even if the screen is cracked, which you cannot do with a Z10 because the touch is part of the screen. It's possible you could still work a Z10 using voice. Also, if your phone is in a waterproof case you can still make calls with a physical keyboard (I've tried).
    03-27-13 04:30 AM
87 ... 234