Yes, yes, I know the point of the AMOLED is to save battery...

But do we ACTUALLY know how much having this screen saves, than if we had an LCD? Plus, I have the charging bundle, so battery doesn't concern me entirely anyways.

I love the Q10 and everything and I'm glad I switched from an iPhone 5, but I'd rather have an LCD screen with vibrant whites, than having to look from my MacBook, to my Q10 and see how dim the whites are on the Q10.
    Last edited by deroubry; 08-16-13 at 12:12 PM.
    LudwigvonKast likes this.
    08-16-13 11:46 AM
    Don't you mean LCD?
    H-Ruf likes this.
    08-16-13 11:47 AM
    Yes, my bad

Posted via CB10
    08-16-13 12:12 PM
    Me! I really don't like the AMOLED. Z10's LCD looks great.

Posted via CB10
    08-16-13 12:20 PM
    I hate this f**king screen in the sun its dark as hell and it doesnt save that much battery compared to my Z10

Posted via CB10
    08-16-13 12:44 PM
    Every BlackBerry looks great even when there is direct sunlight. I can't same the same from my Android devices, unfortunately. My battery lasts easily for a day and a half. I'm sure the larger battery plays a part, but we all know the screen is the power vamp in any device. I prefer true blacks over true whites aesthetically speaking. And the white isn't that bad. These are just some of my own observations and opinions.
    08-16-13 01:12 PM
    I had the z10 on Tmobile until the q10 came out, and in my opinion I actually like the q10 screen more and I don't seem to have trouble seeing my phone outside like everyone else

Posted via CB10
    08-16-13 01:12 PM
    The screen is why I'm skipping the Q10. Even tho I really want a keyboard.

Posted via Z10
    08-16-13 02:00 PM
    What is the diff bet. the screen quality in a Z as opposed to a Q? I don't think the Q10's screen disappoints. Crystal clear in light and dark.
    08-16-13 03:32 PM
    Has anyone compared the Z10 and Q10 side-by-side in direct sunlight?

Just curious, as I've noticed that my AMOLED Android is very difficult to see in sunlight, while my Z10 is fine. It's a rather dramatic difference.

But indoors, the AMOLED Android seems richer and more colorful in comparison to the Z10 (though the Z10 is very nice too).
    08-16-13 03:37 PM
    It's not that bad. For me, it's not bad at all
    08-16-13 04:11 PM

Just curious, as I've noticed that my AMOLED Android is very difficult to see in sunlight, while my Z10 is fine. It's a rather dramatic difference.

But indoors, the AMOLED Android seems richer and more colorful in comparison to the Z10 (though the Z10 is very nice too).
    My Q10 is pretty much impossible to operate in direct sunlight. In other words, I cannot see a bleeping thing unless I find a way to shield the screen. Yes, it looks great indoors, but I am getting tired of having to do my spastic shade dance when out in the open.
    08-16-13 04:12 PM
    I really don't mind the direct sunlight legibility issue as I rarely use my Q10 under the sun. But I do love it's richness & vibrancy.

You do have the Q5 option now & it's cheaper too.

Posted via CB10
    08-17-13 06:59 AM
    Have any of the teardowns identified different variants of the Q10 AMOLED screen? There are numerous threads about screen issues, but the screen on mine is clear and vivid at all brightness settings and perfectly legible in bright sunlight outdoors. I actually prefer it to the screen of my old Z10. When I put the screens side by side, the Z10 had slightly higher resolution but the contrast from the deep black and colour (super-)saturation of the Q10 more than made up for that.
    08-17-13 08:25 AM
    I only wish BBRY would've used a better quality AMOLED display. Both of my Symbian^3 Nokias have better AMOLED displays. Blacks are actually deep blacks, outdoor readability is better too. Considering their screen technology is roughly three years old by now makes me wonder why the new Q10 made a step backwards in terms of AMOLED technology.

Posted via the awesome Blackberry Q10
    08-17-13 09:13 AM
    I prefer the Q10 screen. The contrast ratio (range from black to white) looks much higher on the OLED screen. LCD phones appear washed out to me.

Q10
    08-17-13 09:42 AM
    Well, I have not being able to see my phone directly with sunlight approximate 2-3 times and it is impossible, but the same thing happened with my previous device, so no biggie...

Posted via Q10
    08-17-13 10:46 AM
    The only complaint about Q10's screen I have is I CAN SEE ******* PIXELS! Q5 screen is really nice though.

Posted via CB10
    08-17-13 11:11 AM
    If it was an LCD I think BlackBerry would change the themes to black from white lol

Posted via my CB Q10
    08-17-13 11:16 AM
    despite all my other complaints with this device, the screen isn't one of them. I think amoled screens are a bit of a marmite thing anyway. Personally I would say the best screen I ever had was on a lumia 800, as nokia's clearblack technology on their amoled, coupled with the predominate blacks of the metro interface, gave a beautiful overall viewing experience. That was amoled and low ppi comparatively. I don't think the q10 has the best amoled screen I've seen, and in sunlight its far from ideal, but its pretty good other than that mostly. Certainly I wouldn't wish for an LCD on it specifically.
    08-17-13 04:33 PM

Yep, I had both set to maximum brightness, the Q10 is dimmer than the Z10, but still readable if the sun isn't directly on it. I use my BB outside all the time, so this is a big concern to me, especially as some of the Android phones I've seen are horrible in the sun. The one nice thing about the Q10 is keyboard is always visible in direct sunlight!
    Oh, to answer the OP's original question, yes I would rather have an LCD screen on the Q10.
    Last edited by berryaddictnoza; 08-17-13 at 07:15 PM.
    08-17-13 05:30 PM

There are different kind of AMOLED technologies used. For example, the AMOLED screens Nokia installs are, from my experience, superiour to what BlackBerry has installed to their Q10. Android devices are also using different technologies for different models.

Best example would be the night-mode in a completely dark room. On the Q10, you can still make out the whole screen in the dark, the black isn't really pitch-black in terms of dark as the darkest room. Compared to my old Nokia E7, you just saw the clock "floating" in the dark room. You just saw the clock, but couldn't really tell where the display ends and where the actual bezel started, you couldn't even tell how big the screen was, because you could just make out that clock. The blacks have been pitch-black. Due to that, you also couldn't make out any dark spots on the black screen as it has been mentioned on these forums a couple of times already. Last but not least it was better readable outsides - and that is a device which is basicly two and a half year old by now...
    08-17-13 05:44 PM
    I really like the Q10 screen, the darker blacks are great. However I believe with 10.2 they went with white or something and there are complaints. I would not change. Every phone I have had, regardless of display type has had some wash out under sunlight conditions.

Posted via CB10 w/ my Q10
    08-17-13 07:50 PM