After five months of using the Q10 which is my first BlackBerry phone, I think it is safe to say that I can type without looking at the keyboard.

Looking at the screen the whole time, it is a lot easier to use the suggestions. And I feel more free! Being able to look at the screen the whole time and letting the fingers do the work by themselves is such a unique and awesome experience. I really think the touch screen users are missing out.

Anyways, I am glad I chose to go with physical keyboard, and even though it did take time to learn the keyboard properly, I think it was still very worth it.

Posted via CB10 using Blackberry Q10
    08-20-14 11:53 AM
    I quickly learned to blindly type on the Z30 and 10, just saying. Should be easier on physical keys.
    08-20-14 11:56 AM
    I have always typed without looking at the keys on all my BlackBerry phones. One of the great things about BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 04:38 PM
    I also learned how to type blindly with my z10. Although I still can't type blindly on my friend's passport

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 04:41 PM
    I look at the screen not the keyboard!

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 04:59 PM
    Yeah totally I did it even with my old BlackBerry. There's nothing better than that.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 05:00 PM
    I don't get how people with touch keyboard type without looking at the keyboard.

The way bb10 keyboard is set up, the word suggestions are given at the silver fret of the keyboard, so if you have a virtual keyboard, you need to look at the keyboard to use the suggestion feature.

08-20-14 05:01 PM
    I don't get how people with touch keyboard type without looking at the keyboard.

The way bb10 keyboard is set up, the word suggestions are given at the silver fret of the keyboard, so if you have a virtual keyboard, you need to look at the keyboard to use the suggestion feature.

When I'm not looking at the screen to type, then I don't look at the predictions

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 05:15 PM
    After five months of using the Q10 which is my first BlackBerry phone, I think it is safe to say that I can type without looking at the keyboard.

Looking at the screen the whole time, it is a lot easier to use the suggestions. And I feel more free! Being able to look at the screen the whole time and letting the fingers do the work by themselves is such a unique and awesome experience. I really think the touch screen users are missing out.

Anyways, I am glad I chose to go with physical keyboard, and even though it did take time to learn the keyboard properly, I think it was still very worth it.

Me personally I haven't given it too much thought, but as I'm replying, I'm actually looking at both. I'm tried to type exclusively at the screen, but can't do it.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 11:17 PM
    I also learned how to type blindly with my z10. Although I still can't type blindly on my friend's passport

Posted via CB10
    Same here. The z10 is the only touch device I can do that on.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 11:20 PM
    I've had my Q for a few months and type all the time but I still have a hard time typing without looking unless I'm totally focused....a long email gets me in a rhythm but short text messages I just can't do it without making a bunch of mistakes.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 11:30 PM
    I can Indeed easily type without looking at the keyboard. I can do that on my iphone for work aswell tho, it doesnt make much difference for me.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-14 12:46 AM
    You folks and my brother are awesome, he too can type without looking. I'm horrible at it, if I ever lose my eye sight, BB's "assistant" will become mandatory.
    08-21-14 01:23 AM
    You folks and my brother are awesome, he too can type without looking. I'm horrible at it, if I ever lose my eye sight, BB's "assistant" will become mandatory.
    I am more impressed by people typing without looking at the keyboard on touch keypads. I have had to use the Swype keyboard for 3 years on my Nokia N8 and I never learned not to look down on the keyboard. I actually need the feeling of the contours on the keypad to know where my fingers are on the keyboard.

For people who have to look down on the Q10 keyboard while typing, make an effort to look at the screen! The practice is worth it! Typing on the physical keyboard is kind of like a practical art form. You actually need to dedicate the time and the effort to be good at it. So not everyone can take advantage of the physical keyboard fully. Especially on the Q10, if you type while looking at the screen, you can actually take advantage of the word suggestions a lot more.

All in all, I am so glad that I chose the Q10 over the Z30. If the Q10 had the Z30's paratek antenna, it would have been absolutely perfect.
    08-21-14 01:32 AM
    Double post
    08-21-14 01:33 AM
    Man, this thread makes me envious. I haven't reached that level of proficiency of being able to type without looking at the keyboard.

At best, I alternate between glancing at the keyboard and the screen. I guess I still need more time to get to that level of basic proficiency without using the back space for errors.

It's a different story with my Note 3, though. Even when I look at the on screen keyboard more than the screen, I still make a lot of typing errors. Not something I look forward to when needing to type on the Note 3.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-14 06:48 AM
    Same here. The z10 is the only touch device I can do that on.

Posted via CB10
    I can also type blindly on my z30

Posted via CB10
    08-21-14 08:30 AM
    I can also type blindly on my z30

Posted via CB10
    I used an LG G2 for about 4 or 5 months with Swift key and just never could quite get comfortable with it to that level.

Posted via CB10
    08-22-14 06:45 PM
    This is my first BlackBerry i have it for about a month now and i em still looking on keyboard litle bit less then on touch screen, but i still dont have fealing, but when i take my s4 i use just for web it is not natural its strange fealing to type on glass

Posted via CB10
    08-23-14 12:47 AM
    You can type without looking at the screen not only on BB10 devices but also on the former blackberries. That's why I came into BlackBerry user for a long time. I don't use many apps, so that I think the convenient that BlackBerry brings to me is the initial reason for choosing this brand.

Posted via CB10 on my Cute 10
    08-23-14 04:32 AM
    Just got my Z30, and I am typing a lot slower.

On my Q10, I would have the suggestions inky on the bottom of the screen. Now, I get suggestions every where on the keyboard, so using the suggestion is a lot harder.
    Also, there is no suggestion possible, if you have a word that combines alphabet and numbers since they are not on the same keyboard.

As for typing without looking on my z30, I am surprised that it actually works quite well, the word correction is quite smart in determining what I have to say and correcting accordingly.

Having said that, typing without looking is a lot harder than having a physical keyboard.

All in all, I still maintain that blackberry physical keyboard is better than the blackberry touch screen keyboard.

Is there also option to have the word suggestions on top of the keyboard like on the Q10?

Posted via CB10 using BlackBerry Z30
    08-26-14 01:00 PM

Posted via CB10
    Funny

Posted via Q10RR
    08-26-14 01:33 PM

Posted via CB10
    This really makes me tend to get the classic...
    Is muscle memory so important??
    Curve>Bold>Q10
    I type blindly since about 2008

BlackBerry*Q10, T-Mobile Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2941
    08-26-14 02:00 PM
    This really makes me tend to get the classic...
    Is muscle memory so important??
    Curve>Bold>Q10
    I type blindly since about 2008

BlackBerry*Q10, T-Mobile Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2941
    Yes I think muscle memory is important. When I used my Bold and my Q10, my fingers tend to glide over the physical keyboards and i just type smoothly. With the Z10, i was fast but I have to always look down to make sure that I am pressing the right letters. And the Z10 had its quirks in word conversions that was never corrected even after deletion and corrections. But it is a great VKB hands down. Along with the Z30 I am sure. but I definitely type better and longer with my Q10.

Typed with my Q10, or Z10, or Q10, or...
    08-26-14 04:12 PM
    I was great at not looking at the keyboard when I had my 9780, I loved being able to walk down the street pounding out a text without the fear of walking into something! But then I got my z10 and that skill is no more

Posted via CB10
    08-26-14 04:16 PM
32 12