not a failure like Z10 , the discounted price is $149 at Rogers. Z10=0, Q5=49 and Bold=$150

The Q10 has the lowest discount of any of the BB10 phones but more than a Bold, which says a lot. demand is still higher for the Bold.

Rate the degree of failure by the discount.

Z10 = $649 discount, 100%
    Q5 = $300/349 , 85%
    Q10 = 550/699 , 78%

and the winner , 2+ yrs after release .... Bold - 450/600 = 75%

interesting the see where the Z30 will land .... Telus has 129 and 650 as list price , or 80% discount
    sounds right ... see how it works out
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    10-15-13 02:11 PM
    I think what everyone is missing here is volume. I can't say it enough. There's no such thing as selling to a smaller market or the business user anymore. It costs too much time and resources for carriers to support phones that sell at low volumes. Without carriers you don't have a product that will sell. Wihtout sales volume u can't purchase parts to compete with competitors at prices that are affordable to the customer. There is no way out for BlackBerry here unless they give up handsets. That's essentially what all the biz articles are saying

Posted using my Q10 via CB10
    southlander likes this.
    10-15-13 03:00 PM
    I think what everyone is missing here is volume. I can't say it enough. There's no such thing as selling to a smaller market or the business user anymore. It costs too much time and resources for carriers to support phones that sell at low volumes. Without carriers you don't have a product that will sell. Wihtout sales volume u can't purchase parts to compete with competitors at prices that are affordable to the customer. There is no way out for BlackBerry here unless they give up handsets. That's essentially what all the biz articles are saying

Also this is why BlackBerry is leaning towards less handsets a year. Focus the customer base on less options forces them to buy one or two phones increases the expected volume of sales of the 2 or 3 available handsets, increasing volumes and securing better specs at lower prices and carrier assurances that the units will sell better. That's the hope at least

10-15-13 03:27 PM
    There's still a requirement for niche device with keyboard. There are quite a lot of people (mainly over thirty) who use there phone for communication but are prepared to pay more for something that can browse the internet like a netbook. I like the Q10 and the browser is very good but it would have been so much better with a trackpad and if screen res had been just a tiny bit more say 720 x 800 or 720 x 768 many websites would work better. 800 liines being almost a standard now.

( 1 x shift ) !~ /^1?$|^(11+?)\1+$/
    oracle44 likes this.
    10-15-13 04:07 PM
    not a failure like Z10 , the discounted price is $149 at Rogers. Z10=0, Q5=49 and Bold=$150

The Q10 has the lowest discount of any of the BB10 phones but more than a Bold, which says a lot. demand is still higher for the Bold.

Rate the degree of failure by the discount.

Z10 = $649 discount, 100%
    Q5 = $300/349 , 85%
    Q10 = 550/699 , 78%

and the winner , 2+ yrs after release .... Bold - 450/600 = 75%

interesting the see where the Z30 will land .... Telus has 129 and 650 as list price , or 80% discount
    sounds right ... see how it works out
    I can't believe people pay that much for a 2 to 3 year old phone! That's nuts.
    10-15-13 04:32 PM
    It is encouraging to see the Q10 outselling the iPhone 5 and Samsung Galaxy S4 in both the UK and france.

Those are anything but small markets.

Blackberry is dead; long live Blackberry!
    10-15-13 04:49 PM
    It's a good solid product. People are still picking it over the Q10. Users like it and are very unhappy that the keep board shortcuts that made them move so fast through list are gone , first ,last, unread , page down with the space bar , Who decided these weren;t important. Did they do NO BASIC MARKET RESEARCH ... what do you love about your Bold? what is missing? what frustrates you about it?

keep what is loved and add what's missing, fix what's broke ... but take away loved features????
    LudwigvonKast likes this.
    10-15-13 05:01 PM
    I imagine the Q10 suffered from looking too much like previous BlackBerry devices. Despite the OP's sentiment that they changed certain features, I've seen it many times were even us here at CB have mistakenly identified a Bold 9900 as a Q10 in a news clip or TV show. If we can't even tell the difference at first glance, then imagine what the general public sees. Basically the same thing they thought they already knew, and thus it does not prompt curiosity to try it.

Plus, yeah... people have struggled with, but ultimately accepted the tradeoff of doing away with a physical keyboard to gain extra screen space. My dad, for example, hates typing on a virtual keyboard but he still can--slowly. On the other hand he has lots of trouble reading on a small screen, and if he can't see the screen then... the whole thing is pretty much useless.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-13 05:02 PM
    It is encouraging to see the Q10 outselling the iPhone 5 and Samsung Galaxy S4 in both the UK and france.

I find that hard to believe. Are there any sales figures to back it up?

Posted with CB10/Q10
    10-15-13 05:07 PM
    I reckon it was doomed from the start when they removed the trackpad, physical buttons AND changed the keyboard layout from half smiley face. I dont think even releasing it when BB released the Z10 would have saved it. I dont think we can call the Q10 a true successor to the Bold line.
    There is little indication that the Q10 is a "commercial failure", since we haven't actually had any sales numbers. It is true that it operates differently than the legacy devices, but for some users that has actually been a benefit.
    10-15-13 05:12 PM

I wouldn't pin my hopes on an isolated report from the early days of the Q10's availability. I suspect it has done quite a bit better than the Z10 (just on the basis of how long it's taken to see ongoing discounts on it), but I doubt it sustained those sales levels for the long haul.
    10-15-13 05:14 PM
    I thought I'd miss the track pad as well, but aside from a few things I can navigate much faster without it. I LOVE the Q10.
    10-15-13 05:43 PM
    Why did I return the Q10 and went back to the 9900? Lack of shortcut keys, trackpad, home and dial buttons.

I still keep the iPhone, now on 5S so I do understand the competition. If the Q10 had the old shortcut keys and the trackpad and associated buttons, I might have kept it.

For me, BB had been too arrogant to ignore these fundamental problems, the Q10 was just so much slower than the 9900 to get the same tasks done.
    Agreed... agreed on everything except the trackpad. I'm getting use to that being gone. The goofy small phone buttons are a pain.
    Another potential issue with the Q10 is the screen size. Once you have used a larger screen (using one of the competitors or even the Z10) you may not be happy with a smaller, square screen. That means the appeal of the Q10 is for die hard keyboard lovers (which is a considerable number but not in the millions)....

BBRY should have released the Q10 first.
    Yeah the screen could of been bigger
    Q10 is a failure IMHO. Besides the design and keyboard, it lacks a LOT of functionality found in BB7. Even the OS is sometimes buggy and even hangs and reboots are common. Comparing to BB7, BB10 is a step backward IMHO, BB10 isn't yet mature enough for release on the market. And it's price is by far too high.
    For the best BB experience, take a BB7 device, like de the 97xx and de 99xx from the Bold line.

I've used many BB devices and supported various devices via BES for many years and de Q10/BB10 is my worst BB experience. The idea behind BB10 is ok, but due to the bugs and lack of functionality (they should ported MINIMAL the functionality of BB7, not less!) makes is unusable and untrustworhty for use in a production environment.

Just my two cents
    I've had my freeze up on an incident scene at least twice. It's being replaced.

Link? Source?
    10-15-13 07:49 PM
    Here's one of the sites reporting strong sales:

http://m.technobuffalo.com/2013/05/2...and-galaxy-s4/

10-16-13 02:31 AM
    That report is from may and represents a release spike, there is no chance that it has outsold either of those phones, none.

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk
    10-16-13 03:11 AM
    This was (unfortunately) only for a week or so. I have mixed feelings about Q10 being popular / selling well.

If it sold well there will be more apps for the platform and BlackBerry will be better off in general.

On the flipside, if it's not sold well I can feel special knowing I have a phone that most has never heard of. Yes, I'm a selfish pr!ck.

Posted with CB10/Q10
    10-16-13 03:12 AM
    Posted this in error, sorry.
    10-16-13 03:13 AM
    The Q10 is juste the best phone ever released.
    Its price feets its commercial positionning.
    The Q5 yes is over priced and should be near 300 € (+-10%).
    If the Q10 is expensive what about the "for stupid" highly priced Iphones ?

Blackberry has two problems and it's not the prices of their phones.
    1- Advertising their product : Apple is a great marketing company. They sold ****s at high prices with their well studied commercials.
    2- Lack of stupid app beceause yes we all need to have stupid free apps
    10-16-13 03:30 AM
    It's a good solid product. People are still picking it over the Q10. Users like it and are very unhappy that the keep board shortcuts that made them move so fast through list are gone , first ,last, unread , page down with the space bar , Who decided these weren;t important. Did they do NO BASIC MARKET RESEARCH ... what do you love about your Bold? what is missing? what frustrates you about it?

keep what is loved and add what's missing, fix what's broke ... but take away loved features????
    Idk what you're talking about. Keyboard shortcuts work...

"N" takes you to the next day
    "U" takes you to the next unread
    "Spacebar" is page down
    "Shift+spacebar" is page up
    "I" is zoom in
    "O" is zoom out
    "S" is seach
    "L" reloads a web page
    "R" is reader mode

Also, while you're in an email, you can swipe your thumb halfway left, and swipe up or down to open the next message without having to select it. It's pretty clever.

Those are just off the top of my head.
    it could just be a 10.2 thing though.. Did you do NO BASIC RESEARCH ON 10.2!? Or is it just easier to complain first?

Posted with my Q10!
    10-16-13 12:22 PM
    Why did I return the Q10 and went back to the 9900? Lack of shortcut keys, trackpad, home and dial buttons.

I still keep the iPhone, now on 5S so I do understand the competition. If the Q10 had the old shortcut keys and the trackpad and associated buttons, I might have kept it.

For me, BB had been too arrogant to ignore these fundamental problems, the Q10 was just so much slower than the 9900 to get the same tasks done.
    You're not a very good observer . I listed a few of the shortcut keys in my previous post. I may post a thread in the Q10 forum to list all of the shortcuts that I've found to make it easier. It could be a 10.2 thing, but it's comforting to know that these have been addressed. Copy and paste has also been improved from 10.1

Also, the universal search from the home screen is improved over the legacy OS. I never have to open the browser, text messages, or phone applications. I just type "text ___", "call ___", or I search "____" and continue to click the web browser.

The Q10 is a beast

Posted with my Q10!
    10-16-13 12:25 PM
    I've had to revert to a Z10 for a bit, and I'm surprised at just how different the Q10 really is:
    • COMPLETELY different feel in the hand, due to the rounded back and "glass weave" material on the Q10
    • Noticeably better performance (maybe a 10% difference), maybe due to smaller screen?
    • I had really become dependent on keyboard shortcuts (and instant search). I miss them.

Still like the Z10, but the Q10 really feels like a new-generation BlackBerry. Perhaps not such a surprise that it's likely sold better.
    10-16-13 12:32 PM
    Still like the Z10, but the Q10 really feels like a new-generation BlackBerry. Perhaps not such a surprise that it's likely sold better.
    Judging by the activity in Z10 forums (compared to Q10) I'm not sure it sold better. Perhaps the sales are better now, but the overall numbers are likely in Z10's favor. Of course, a lot of that has to do with the fact the Z10 was available sooner.

Posted with CB10/Q10
    10-16-13 01:02 PM
    Q10 kills all the bolds I've owned. It's simple miles ahead.

Posted via Q10 using CB10
    10-16-13 01:03 PM
    sory, thanks, don't have one, believed someone who didn't know this , not sure re OS versions either because I did hear vigorous complaints about this
    10-16-13 02:39 PM
    Hard to know re success in sales but I think the discounting of prices are the best indicator

Samsung still sells the S-III , and the discounted price is higher than all the BBs
    The Bold has a higher discounted price than the Q10 ( but I bet BB won't allow lower pricing either)
    The Z10 is selling at zero, meaning BB is likely getting a profit of $0 on these, obviously a failure ( unnecessary one, but that's another thread)

I think BB will hnag on and the numbers will gradually ramp up. There are new apps everyday and they are good ones, most made for BB10 ... the hold=out deveolpers will have to join if the numbers keep climbing.
    10-16-13 02:46 PM
163 12345 ...