I reckon it was doomed from the start when they removed the trackpad, physical buttons AND changed the keyboard layout from half smiley face. I dont think even releasing it when BB released the Z10 would have saved it. I dont think we can call the Q10 a true successor to the Bold line.
    10-14-13 05:17 PM
    Have you extensively used a Q10?

All 3 things you listed do not bother me one bit. Hands down best keyboard ever put on a mobile device.
    rthonpm, ny1979, SK122387 and 5 others like this.
    10-14-13 05:21 PM
    We won't know if it is a failure until they announce more write downs.
    10-14-13 05:21 PM
    huh? the Q10 blows away all the Bold's I have had (all of them). The biggest problem BB faces is the fact that far more people today have smartphones than ever and most people want all-in-one entertainment devices. That's why they need to focus on business and prosumers.

I dont think we can call the Q10 a true successor to the Bold line.
    ColdStoneGuards likes this.
    10-14-13 05:39 PM
    I don't agree that it didn't sell well because of any hardware features or lack thereof. A certified dealer network business model drives sales two ways. 1) Certified dealer out to end user and, 2) End user to certified dealer.
    In Blackberry's case there was a distinct lack of dealer to end user push AS WELL as end user to dealer.
    There was an utter failure in effective marketing. The message was unclear and did not present compelling reasons for the average consumer to switch from their comfort zone (current platform), even though I certainly believe there are plenty.
    Then there was not only a lack of support from the dealers (carriers), but also a lack of support and incentives TO the dealers. When trying to launch what is effectively a new product and wrestle marketshare from major competitors that are dug in deep, you need to give the dealers compelling reasons to push your product over the existing options. From all accounts I have seen, this didn't happen. So if you don't have a sales staff that is predominantly well trained and incentivised, then you are relying on the combined efforts of your end user marketing/advertising and your product's shelf appeal. As previously stated, I don't feel the end user marketing/advertising was effective, and also I feel that the way they chose to display the products was terrible. By display I am referring to the "demo mode" display models had. It was confusing and not intuitive even to an advanced user like myself, certainly not effective in showing off the functionality and value add of the products.
    Finally, you had the glaring lack of major name app support for the new ecosystem. Blackberry failed to negotiate the inclusion of apps that many average consumers would deem to be deal breakers at the launch. You can't tell someone who uses instagram 35 times a day that "it's coming later" and expect them to purchase now. And while many folks, understandably, blame the app developers for this, the reality is that these things should have been negotiated by Blackberry. Co-op advertising dollars and other incentives come into play at this level. It's fairly obvious that Blackberry didn't play ball. And they should have.
    At the end of the day, the better question is: How could it have NOT failed?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Danny Ocean; 10-14-13 at 09:53 PM.
    eldricho, R Field, Ecm and 2 others like this.
    10-14-13 05:39 PM
    I don't believe it's a failure at all! It's the blackberry name and their lack of app support that's bringing the brand name down.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-13 06:56 PM
    The ads for the Q10 are just plain boring and uninspiring. No one felt like they HAD to have the device.

Posted with my Q10!
    10-14-13 07:55 PM
    I dont think we can call the Q10 a true successor to the Bold line.
    Although I do feel there are reasons BB10 is not a proper successor to the legacy software, the Q10 is a true successor to the Bold series. In my opinion.

Posted via keyboard bearing Q10
    RegN likes this.
    10-14-13 08:28 PM
    There are 5 reason :
    1. Price
    2. Price
    3. Price
    4. Lack of apps
    5. Competition

Posted via CB10
    10-14-13 08:34 PM
    Its pretty straight forward. BlackBerry lost the hearts and minds of its target market in 2009 - 2011 it's just been a slow dive bleeding customers since. The OP comments sum up a lot of what's wrong with the mindset of the blackberry community. A trackpad? With like a mouse pointer? Have you guys seen what sells these days? 1080p screens and finger print readers. The Q10 failed because the "people who would have bought a blackberry 2 years ago moved on and aren't coming back". You can't put up an ad that says "leave your 1080p screen and take this keyboard instead".

The Q10 is an amazing phone. I own one and will hold on to it for a long time. But the truth hurts. There's not enough of us left to push units in mass to keep BlackBerry afloat. Its not because the BlackBerry die hards aren't satisfied with the device. Its because nobody else even noticed.

Posted using my Q10 via CB10
    10-14-13 09:28 PM
    The masses do want full touch screen entertainment devices. That was unavoidable. BlackBerry needs to focus on business and prosumers. It's just the way things are now.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-13 10:03 PM
    Consumer fixation on apps over OS, combined with marketing (or lack thereof).
    10-14-13 10:04 PM
    The masses do want full touch screen entertainment devices. That was unavoidable. BlackBerry needs to focus on business and prosumers. It's just the way things are now.

Posted via CB10
    But this doesn't make any sense. The sucsess of the byod programs at work prove it. The personal and biz device is now the same. Its not like you can focus on them like seperate customers. Most customers are going to purchase for their personal needs first and then their biz needs. BlackBerry can't just not compete of personal needs if they ever expext to sell devices to anyone. If they can't make an HTC one grade phone that's also great for biz they will fail

10-14-13 10:28 PM
    I don't agree that it didn't sell well because of any hardware features or lack thereof. A certified dealer network business model drives sales two ways. 1) Certified dealer out to end user and, 2) End user to certified dealer.
    In Blackberry's case there was a distinct lack of dealer to end user push AS WELL as end user to dealer.
    There was an utter failure in effective marketing. The message was unclear and did not present compelling reasons for the average consumer to switch from their comfort zone (current platform), even though I certainly believe there are plenty.
    Then there was not only a lack of support from the dealers (carriers), but also a lack of support and incentives TO the dealers. When trying to launch what is effectively a new product and wrestle marketshare from major competitors that are dug in deep, you need to give the dealers compelling reasons to push your product over the existing options. From all accounts I have seen, this didn't happen. So if you don't have a sales staff that is predominantly well trained and incentivised, then you are relying on the combined efforts of your end user marketing/advertising and your product's shelf appeal. As previously stated, I don't feel the end user marketing/advertising was effective, and also I feel that the way they chose to display the products was terrible. By display I am referring to the "demo mode" display models had. It was confusing and not intuitive even to an advanced user like myself, certainly not effective in showing off the functionality and value add of the products.
    Finally, you had the glaring lack of major name app support for the new ecosystem. Blackberry failed to negotiate the inclusion of apps that many average consumers would deem to be deal breakers at the launch. You can't tell someone who uses instagram 35 times a day that "it's coming later" and expect them to purchase now. And while many folks, understandably, blame the app developers for this, the reality is that these things should have been negotiated by Blackberry. Co-op advertising dollars and other incentives come into play at this level. It's fairly obvious that Blackberry didn't play ball. And they should have.
    At the end of the day, the better question is: How could it have NOT failed?

Posted via CB10
    Great post. For some strange reason BlackBerry completely dropped any sort of dealer training or incentive program (from what I can tell). It takes well trained staff to sell a very different product.

Also, the media stories and the poor image replace actual facts about the products for the uninformed dealers.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-13 10:29 PM
    1. Lack of interest (people don't care for Qwerty)
    2. Lack of keyboard shortcuts
    3. Lack of Apps
    4. Boring design (people automatically think old boring blackberry)

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
    10-14-13 10:38 PM
    Lol says he using an iPhone. Boring, the Q10 is not.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-13 10:41 PM
    I don't recall ever seeing TV ads of the Q10 here in my country (Philippines). I did see the Z10 one but only in History channel which not many really watch around here. People hardly even know those devices exist! I don't feel the marketing here at all!
    10-14-13 10:47 PM
    Lol says he using an iPhone. Boring, the Q10 is not.

Posted via CB10
    That's your opinion, however facts or facts. People (including legacy users) did not flock to the Q10.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
    dyzzyd and kevinnugent like this.
    10-14-13 10:48 PM
    My concern with the Q10 (and QWERTY in general now) is that these newer smartphones are so powerful now that they go beyond text production (SMS, email, etc) into media consumption devices and more.

The more I use my Q10 (and I really like it), the more I find myself wishing I had a bigger screen (who wouldn't love a Z30?). I find the browser so good it replaces even my laptop for general browsing most of the time, I like ebooks and can easily read them on my phone (but don't like flipping so much), I watch videos online using the Bell TV app, YouTube, NHL Game Centre, and so on, things I couldn't do as much of on bb7. All of these things benefit from more screen as you barely use the keyboard, if at all.

With all the other uses, maybe a touch keyboard isn't so bad. If a "die hard" keyboard guy like me starts to question, I would think most regular consumers would have moved on. I did play with a Z10 for a few days, but if I found a sub $200 one unlocked and working on my provider, I might be tempted to give it another go.

I guess when it comes down to it, $700 is very, very steep if you're mostly concerned with text and email usage. Either the price has to drop significantly or the keyboard is done. Back in BlackBerry's heyday, the dominant feature on a phone was messaging, but that day has passed.

If I were choosing now, with what I know now about the power of these phones, for the price I paid for my Q10, I'd likely throw caution in the wind and pick up a Z30 instead.

Posted via CB10
    waterfrontmgmt likes this.
    10-14-13 10:50 PM
    It is my opinion. I have both phones. I am to the point where I rarely use the iPhone except for music and media. The Q blows the iPhone away in my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    j1m0h likes this.
    10-14-13 10:51 PM
    The Q10 is a great phone. Bought a pb64 early and suffered through the updates till it was useful. Fell in love with the OS and knew BB10 would be special. Tried the Z10 but my thumbs were just too big. Patiently waited for the Q and it was worth the wait. This phone rocks. Screen real estate is still handled with PlayBooks (3). The Q is always in my pocket ready.
    The downfall of the Q launch was the ineffective training of the carriers store employees and lack of products in the store.
    Also the huge market of Chinese, Japanese and Korean users and their friends was ignored. This extended group of messaging addicts would have loved the interface.
    10-14-13 10:53 PM
    I just reckon it is because people think it is outdated, when it's not.

BlackBerry Bold 9900; Q10; Z10 [BBM#6]
    10-14-13 10:57 PM
    you can change "Q10" in the thread title to any blackberry product in recent memory or even "bb10" and the responses wouldn't sound off at all still
    kevinnugent likes this.
    10-14-13 10:58 PM
    BlackBerry Marketing plain & simple. The Q10-& Z`10's are great phones. Okay lack of app's for you app lovers out there but for me my Z10 does everything I need & I have 4 friends that all love their Q10's. Lets see excellent OS, most secure phone on the market and marketing did nothing with these points at all. The entire BB management is to blame asleep at the wheel or simply do not care waiting for that final check to come. How these guys in upper management will get a big check for not doing their jobs is beyond me. In the real world they would be shown the door hat in hand not a check worth millions for running a company into the ground..
    Last edited by Jrox74; 10-14-13 at 11:02 PM. Reason: spelling
    10-14-13 10:59 PM
    Its pretty straight forward. BlackBerry lost the hearts and minds of its target market in 2009 - 2011 it's just been a slow dive bleeding customers since. The OP comments sum up a lot of what's wrong with the mindset of the blackberry community. A trackpad? With like a mouse pointer? Have you guys seen what sells these days? 1080p screens and finger print readers. The Q10 failed because the "people who would have bought a blackberry 2 years ago moved on and aren't coming back". You can't put up an ad that says "leave your 1080p screen and take this keyboard instead".

The Q10 is an amazing phone. I own one and will hold on to it for a long time. But the truth hurts. There's not enough of us left to push units in mass to keep BlackBerry afloat. Its not because the BlackBerry die hards aren't satisfied with the device. Its because nobody else even noticed.

To be fair I did put down my Samsung Galaxy S4 because multi-tasking sucked, BlackBerry hub is better, the phone is more secured, I like the black theme more, third party apps like Fast Tube were better than Android YouTube apps, the phone was faster for me personally, it had a file manager when other big name phones don't, and all around liked the stability & feel. If BlackBerry goes down, I at least got the Q10

Posted via CB10
    j1m0h and AggreX like this.
    10-15-13 12:20 AM
163 123 ...