12-11-14 07:38 AM
63 123
tools
    I'm on my 3rd Q10 (keep selling them lol) and love them, then hate them.

This Q has been the longest that I've used one and I ALWAYS keep my trusty 9900 with me for notes, calculator, pics, etc..

Having the trackpad let's me enjoy using the device with one hand and that's what I miss the most.

I have already preordered the Classic and I'm sure it's going to be a hit!

Sent from my BlackBeezy 9900 using Tapatalk
    11-21-14 12:03 AM
    Only for text selection but that has been much improved with 10.3+

As for other OS usage BB10 eliminates the need for it. I may enjoy it for scrolling the hub but that's a Classic use of the track pad.
    11-21-14 12:08 AM
    I don't miss the track pad. I think a full touch screen is a natural evolution away from the pad.

Posted via CB10
    11-21-14 12:15 AM
    I don't miss the trackpad much. Only really notice it when trying to navigate one-handed or when selecting text. 10.3 should help with text selection as I've read there are some feature improvements there.

Posted via CB10
    11-21-14 10:08 PM
    I think they should bring back the track ball. Found an old BlackBerry Curve today and playing a mean game of brick breaker right now. Miss the ball bring it back! (sarcasm).

Do you miss the track pad?-img_20141121_203736.jpg

"Official International Accountant of the Peevishlicious Crew " via my Canadian Passport!!
    11-21-14 10:20 PM
    Making phone calls recently, found I missed the phone keys on my 9930. No swiping necessary - just press the phone key.
    11-21-14 10:35 PM
    I think they should bring back the track ball. Found an old BlackBerry Curve today and playing a mean game of brick breaker right now. Miss the ball bring it back! (sarcasm).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141121_203736.jpg 
Views:	521 
Size:	106.6 KB 
ID:	316098

"Official International Accountant of the Peevishlicious Crew " via my Canadian Passport!!
    I was never a huge fan of the track ball -- I liked the trackwheel or track pad better. Although, I would be happy to have the trackball and nav buttons on the Q -- miss the one handed scrolling and selection that you had w/ older models.

Posted via CB10
    11-21-14 11:04 PM
    At first yes, I constantly finding my thumbs in the screen looking for it. But now not so much I think it's even better without it.

Posted via BlackBerry Q10
    11-25-14 02:21 AM
    So I am now 3-4 wks in with the Q10 and I am adapting. I still think text editing sucks (on 10.2 - I don't do leaks) so that could benefit from a trackpad. However, I find myself rarely missing it now.

Posted via CB10
    11-25-14 07:06 AM
    My last BlackBerry was a 9700 and the track pad was great. Thought I would miss it on the Q10 but, no the phone is not lacking in anyway without it.

Posted via CB10
    11-25-14 07:28 AM
    Yes - I miss it. I have a Z30 - great phone, and I can actually type on it better than I could on the tiny keys on my Bold. But I miss the track pad and the close button. Seriously considering the Classic if it ever becomes available in the US - especially if the keys are larger on it compared to the Bold
    11-25-14 07:43 AM
    For those who upgraded to the Q10 from the Bold 9900 or various other BB qwertys;

1. Do you miss the track pad?
    2. Do you think no track pad has enhanced or made your experience worse on the Q10?
    3. Would having a track pad add value to the overall OS experience? If so on what ways.

P.S. Be honest!
    Seat of the pants it's looking about 50/50. Much as I hate to suggest another thread, I'd love to see one with a poll, a few weeks after 10.3.1 is official.

Carjackd, you reminded me of all the hate on trackpad threads, when the 9700/9650 came out. Change is never embraced immediately by the masses.
    11-25-14 08:38 AM
    1. Absolutely! I rarely have an idea where the text selector is with my thumb over the text. I imagine with a trackpad, if you know where the pointer entered the text, you could use finger movement to track the text selector across the field. Not to mention the breeze with which you can scroll and select.
    When selecting text. Get the circle to pop up and in the right spot. Then hold the shift key and swipe left or right anywhere on the screen to select your text. You can then see what you are highlighting.

The last 1:30 shows you what i'm talking about. The rest of the video may help some of you.

Posted from my awesome Q10
    12-02-14 10:49 PM
    Never used trackball on BB device, only on Android. It sure made things quicker to edit, but overall I don't feel the need for trackball anymore. Besides I think that Q10 looks classier/better without TB than Classic with one.
    12-03-14 06:59 AM
    For those who upgraded to the Q10 from the Bold 9900 or various other BB qwertys;

1. Do you miss the track pad?
    2. Do you think no track pad has enhanced or made your experience worse on the Q10?
    3. Would having a track pad add value to the overall OS experience? If so on what ways.

P.S. Be honest!
    1. No.
    2. Enhanced.
    3. Maybe for some, not for me.

To be honest, when I switched back to BlackBerry with the Q10, I thought the lack of track pad would hurt, and it did at first. Since 10.2.1, everything was/is shiny

Q10SQN100-1/10.3.1.1151
    12-03-14 08:39 AM
    Ummm??? No!

Posted via CB10
    12-03-14 05:04 PM
    I miss the trackpad from the 9930:

Ease of highlighting text for cut/copy
    Selecting multiple messages for deletion or filing
    Ease of selecting links in small webpages

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on my Q10
    12-03-14 07:38 PM
    I went from a 9900 to a windows phone (my spare I got as a gift), that was supposed to tie me over in the interim between my 9900's battery dying and getting the Passport, but the Passport was too expensive (especially here in Canada). I was lucky enough to have a friend who had a spare Q10 (from work) that he just gave me.

I held off on getting the Q10 initially because I was really worried that I'd miss the trackpad. I understand why they got rid of it with the whole gesture-based OS and all, but my biggest concern was text editing. And to be honest, I didn't miss the trackpad as much as I thought I would.

I still do at times, but not so much for editing as much as scrolling and one-handed use. Maybe in the future when the Passport price goes down I'll get it just so I can surf one handed again, but I really doubt I'd get the Classic.

Posted via CB10
    12-06-14 12:55 AM
    At the end I would say it's all about "decisions".

In my view Thorsten Heins did a great job. BB10 is a tremendous alternative OS to the childish, womenly (no offense) and hipster designed ios or Android.

It works flawlessly. And I am so happy to have an alternative.

Then we have the hardware. I guess the swipe gestured based OS is perfect for devices like the Z10 and Z30. Feels like it has been made only for them. But it do work also on the Q10.

So it's all about decisions. BlackBerry had a huge portfolio of devices back in the heydays. Remember? Then we had really bad times. BB10 and its devices were delayed. Again.

Then the Q10 came out. And it was a logic evolution to skip the tool belt. It was a shocker at first. But absolutely logical. The BB10 OS worked great on it.

Imagine bringing out the Q10 at the beginning. The media would have slashed out BlackBerry very hard. There would be no new inventions, same device, etc.

It just was logical and we know that the new devices were awesome. In retroperspective, I would love that the Q10 would come out with the tool belt.

Just for perfect text marking and for the "end call" button. Because hanging up talks in an app, were you have to look at your device, search for the visual button and then hit, is just not that smart. Were with a haptic button is just on step. And it works! I just had a long call yesterday, were I wanted to finish the call. But the screen was just black!! I tried to push and swipe but nothing happened. It was locked. So I waited until my partner was hanging up. These are situations I hate.

So BlackBerry has listened to its users and the Classic is coming out in a couple of days.

And still: users (not all) are whining and complaining. Some about specs, some are finding the tool belt "old school", etc.

I have the feeling that some users have way too many time in their hand and critize everything.

You have a choice. Always will be. Whether you love it or hate it.

You have the passport with powerful "specs" so you can impress your iSheeps or play "3D" games (irony). Or you have your Classic. Bigger screen, tool belt and can start doing your business. Because this is what the classic is supposed to be and the blackberry brand as such. Business.

Sure, productive people also wanna play or get entertained. But these devices aren't made for heavy 3D games or rendering movies ffs! You can play little games, watch you tube movies. But who ffs will watch an HD movie for two freaking hours on smartphones??? Who will do that? Get a PS3 and a Flat Screen TV and do things 100 %.

I still rock my Q10. I have such fun and will buy the passport or Classic next year. And who knows? In 2015 there will be more devices. So be exited and just cool down. Everything's will be fine. Compare the last 2 years with now! Reading the comments in several tech blogs just made sad. Funky iSheeps and Android freaks pushed us BlackBerry folks like a punching bag, ffs!

Now we are doing good. Thanks to John Chen "decisions", calculated risks and focus! And I am sure he knows what to do.

Rant end. Lulz.

Posted via CB10
    12-06-14 05:32 AM
    Why trackpad?

It's easier to navigate

1. You can scroll without your finger is blocking the screen
    2. More comfortable for your thumb
    3. More accurate to edit text
    4. It's a more useful element than finger-touch on iPhone

Posted via CB10
    12-06-14 04:26 PM
    No way!

Posted via CB10
    12-06-14 05:32 PM
    No , i don't miss the trackpad...
    if my q10 broken..the passport will be my choice..

Posted via CB10
    12-06-14 07:43 PM
    Yes, I miss the trackpad..

Posted via CB10
    12-07-14 09:16 AM
    Yes. I miss it enough to leave Q10 for Classic.
    12-07-14 03:42 PM
    Yes I miss the trackpad (toolbelt), I hate editing text on the Q10, sure it works but not as efficient for my needs.

Posted via CB10
    12-07-14 04:08 PM
63 123