11-07-14 09:56 PM
32 12
tools
    Hi folks,
    I'm looking to switch to BB from Apple and purchasing a Q10. So far I remember from the past when my wife had a BB, she paid some money each month for some BB server service. Will that be the case now too, will I pay something additional to my current plan? Should I let Fido know I switched to BB?

Cheers, Vic
    11-05-14 02:09 PM
    BIS (BlackBerry Internet Service) was a requirement of older style BlackBerry devices. BlackBerry 10 handsets use the same carrier network as your iPhone so there's no longer a need for a special package on top of your regular data plan.

Here's hoping you enjoy your Q10: it's a great phone and there are plenty of resources here to help you should you have issues or questions.
    app_Developer likes this.
    11-05-14 02:12 PM
    You don't have to pay any additional, because that was if I am not wrong for BIS services, now BB10 OS doesn't use it.
    11-05-14 02:15 PM
    No you don't. Just put your sim card in and enjoy! The Q10 is a hell of a phone. You're going to love it and you'll never look back at the garbage iPhone.

Powered by Z10
    11-05-14 05:12 PM
    Enjoy ur Q10 and the CB forum has tons of info and tips RE the Q10. 10.3 rocks on the Q10!

Posted via Q10 with 1154
    11-05-14 11:35 PM
    Thanks, looks like a great community
    11-06-14 07:41 AM
    Your data will not work with a smartphone data plan. Apple or Android devices require different data that BlackBerry. I don't care who says different. The data for a smartphone ( Apple or Android ) doesn't route through BlackBerry servers. You need to ask your carrier to switch your data over to Blackberry data.

Guaranteed your data will not work, unless your carrier switches it to the proper format. Trust me. I've been there, done that....numerous times.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-14 02:45 AM
    Your data will not work with a smartphone data plan. You need to ask your carrier to switch your data over to Blackberry data.

Guaranteed your data will not work, unless your carrier switches it to the proper format. Trust me. I've been there, done that....numerous times.

Posted via CB10
    ...what?

Posted via CB10
    11-07-14 02:46 AM
    Ask your carrier. They'll tell you the same. Why do you think the BB10 devices require a specific data plan. Go ahead. Ask them.

I guarantee you that you'll not have mobile Internet with a smartphone data plan. It requires a BlackBerry data plan. I tried both. No one is going to tell me different...just saying.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-14 02:48 AM
    They see me trollin....

Powered by Z10
    11-07-14 02:55 AM
    Sorry, there's no one trolling here. Fact is fact.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-14 02:56 AM
    Sorry, there's no one trolling here. Fact is fact.
    I question your "facts" in this case. My Passport works with a SIM that I took out of a 5S and put into the Passport. AT&T still thinks it is an iPhone.

Both voice and LTE work absolutely fine. There is no difference in "format". I don't even know what that means.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    11-07-14 03:03 AM
    You are in the states. That's why. It's probably different there. Call Bell or Virgin Mobile in Canada, and they'll tell you different. They can confirm my "facts" for you. Goodnight.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-14 03:11 AM
    You are in the states. That's why. It's probably different there. Call Bell or Virgin Mobile in Canada, and they'll tell you different. They can confirm my "facts" for you. Goodnight.

Posted via CB10
    OMG where have you been hiding over the last few years or so?

Do you use a BlackBerry 10 phone?

if you do call your network & they tell you that you need a specific data plan please ask that person you spoke to, to go check his facts. I guarantee you it is the same as any other smartphone in the world.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-14 05:36 AM
    Facts for BBOS, not BB10, worldwide. You are really something sir.
    11-07-14 07:29 AM

Posted via CB10
    Mate, your "experience" (or lack thereof) cannot be considered "facts".

To be precise, only BlackBerry Legacy devices need a special BIS plan (OS 7 and previous). BlackBerry 10 devices work on regular data plans, as it no longer goes through BB servers to get compressed (as was the case with Legacy devices).

Granted, if you already have BIS, you can also use it with BB10, it just won't compress data.

To OP, you're good to go with the Q10 and a regular data plan, here's an article clearing up the question: http://m.crackberry.com/no-you-dont-...erry-10-phones

Enjoy your Q10, it's an amazing device and the physical keyboard is quite addictive!

Loved the Q10 but now it's Z30 power time!!!
    rthonpm likes this.
    11-07-14 07:59 AM
    Yeah, I think it is pretty widely known that no BB10 phone requires a BlackBerry plan anymore. I think the Canadian carriers have customer service reps that are poorly informed and educated. It also seems to me that they may be sneaky and try to convince customers that they need to pay for something they don't need. I switched to a Z10 from a 3G Curve and it seems to me that they kept my plan the same. I had a hardware problem after a few months and had to send in for warranty repair. The replacement they sent me was some HTC little piece of crap. I hated the thing, and after one day I decided to throw my SIM back into my old Curve. I was somewhat surprised that everything worked wonderfully. So obviously they never removed the BIS account from my plan.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-14 12:32 PM
    Sorry about your luck folks. Here in Canada, a Z10 requires BlackBerry data, in order to use the Internet on your phone. You guys are the ones that don't know what you're talking about. I'm done arguing. Believe what you want. Why in the hell would I make that up? I have a Z10 here in my hand that HAD Smartphone data(Apple or Android Data plans), and the Internet DID NOT WORK WHATSOEVER. They told me the unit still requires specific data (BlackBerry data to be more precise) for numerous things to function at all. One being the Internet on the device.

So tell me, all you educated ones, which are way above me in intellect, why didn't my Z10 work with smartphone data?

Don't even get me going with BIS plans, or OS 7.1, legacy devices,etc. Been there done that. There is nothing new that can be said about a Z10 or Q10, that would be of any surprise to me.

Sounds to me like this topic is just one you guys want to argue blue, without considering the facts. And facts they are. Rant done.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-14 12:52 PM
    Sorry about your luck folks. Here in Canada, a Z10 requires BlackBerry data, in order to use the Internet on your phone. You guys are the ones that don't know what you're talking about. I'm done arguing. Believe what you want. Why in the hell would I make that up? Good Lord, you guys love to argue for nothing,LMFAO.

Posted via CB10
    It is a fact that BB10 phones do not require a specific data plan.

I am with Rogers (in Canada) and I have switched between my Galaxy S3 and my Z10/Q10 without any issues, just by swapping the sim.

Even when signing up for a Rogers contract with my Q10, I signed the same contract as any other smartphones.

My mother bought a Moto X with Rogers on contract, then sold it right away, and bought a Z30. The Z30 works flawlessly with full LTE data, and we did not have to contact Rogers at all.

So yes, you are wrong. BlackBerry 10 phones do not require any specific data plan.

Posted via CB10 using Blackberry Q10
    Last edited by skstrials; 11-07-14 at 01:12 PM.
    11-07-14 01:01 PM
    So tell me, all you educated ones, which are way above me in intellect, why didn't my Z10 work with smartphone data?

Posted via CB10
    There are multiple versions of Z10 depending on the data band that it is able to pick up, five versions of Z10 ranging from STE 1 to 5.

Each version is specific for certain regions, and carriers. Therefore, it is likely that your Z10 version cannot receive your wireless service provider's signal.

For Canada, you need STE-3 version which supports LTE, and was the version released to all Canadian shops.

Posted via CB10 using Blackberry Q10
    11-07-14 01:07 PM
    I'll confirm what the majority said. I'm with Fido on a Z30 I picked up a sim card activated it and put it in, they didn't even ask what kind of phone.
    To double the point, I also have a Roam mobility sim that I put in when traveling to the US and again the data all works great, didn't need to tell them about my phone.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-14 01:11 PM
    It is because Bell/Virgin are too lazy to change their system. So they nail you with the special BlackBerry add-on plan.

IT IS NOT BECAUSE OF BLACKBERRY!
    11-07-14 01:12 PM
    Funny thing is, I'm with Bell. Same thing. No BlackBerry data, no Internet.

Something else you guys don't know is the fact iPhones are the absolute worst when it comes to consuming data. This is one of the several reasons I got rid of my iPhone 5S. Now that I have a Z10 again, please explain why this device doesn't eat up data like the iPhone 5S does.

I now rest my case.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-14 01:47 PM
    Sorry about your luck folks. Here in Canada, a Z10 requires BlackBerry data, in order to use the Internet on your phone. You guys are the ones that don't know what you're talking about. I'm done arguing. Believe what you want. Why in the hell would I make that up? I have a Z10 here in my hand that HAD Smartphone data(Apple or Android Data plans), and the Internet DID NOT WORK WHATSOEVER. They told me the unit still requires specific data (BlackBerry data to be more precise) for numerous things to function at all. One being the Internet on the device.

Don't even get me going with BIS plans, or OS 7.1, legacy devices,etc. Been there done that. There is nothing new that can be said about a Z10 or Q10, that would be of any surprise to me.

Sounds to me like this topic is just one you guys want to argue blue, without considering the facts. And facts they are. Rant done.

Posted via CB10
    You do NOT require a specific BB data plan for BB10 devices. I am using my Android plan in my Z30 right now. So please just leave and crawl back under your bridge.
    11-07-14 01:56 PM

Posted via CB10
    You are labouring under a misapprehension. You're very very wrong. Regular data is absolutely fine for BlackBerry 10 devices. If you're still paying for BIS or what was it? "BlackBerry data", then perhaps you could explain to the many folks who switched to BlackBerry 10 devices in Canada from an iPhone or Android device by just chucking their sim in it without even contacting their carriers, why they experienced no issues?

Yah, thought not.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418 O2 UK
    11-07-14 02:01 PM
32 12