Hi guys,
    just wanted to tell you my bad experience with my Q10. I used to have a great battery life, then two things happened.
    First, I got 4G coverage in my area, and basically at the same time I enabled device encryption. I don't know whether is 4G radio or encryption but since then my battery life sucked. I disconnected the phone from the charger at 7AM, had the phone always in my pocket, never used or even touched, just a 2 minutes call and 1 (one!) whatsapp message sent, no active frames or apps running, and at 4PM the Q10 was completely dead. I could feel the whole day the phone heating in my pocket. This is unacceptable. I don't care if 4G or encryption sucks battery life, if there's an option in there it has to be usable, otherwise simply don't put it there just to check the specs list. I was using the latest 10.2.1.x official firmware available from my carrier. Have you got the same experience or is it just me? Disabling both options seem to give me back a normal battery life.
    09-13-14 06:04 AM
    It seems to be a common problem. 4G drains battery quite fast, so if you don't need it all the day long, it's better to switch to 3G and turn on 4G only when you need.
    farmer nic likes this.
    09-13-14 09:29 AM
    Yes, this is one thing I don't like about my Q10. 4G battery life is bad. 4G LTE is even worse. It doesn't even seem to be impacted by the signal strength either. For my T-Mobile phone there is no option to drop strictly to 3G so I either have to pick 4G/3G/2G (for 4G sans LTE) or 2G (which is too slow for hotspot/tether). I'm really hoping 10.3.1 fixes this otherwise I might switch devices.
    09-13-14 10:15 AM
    Here with 4G and encryption,all day use and no battery draining...I love my little white.

Posted via CB10
    09-13-14 10:27 AM
    It could also be the encryption was still running in the background, when i first enabled it took about 6 hours to complete.
    09-13-14 11:30 AM
    It could also be the encryption was still running in the background, when i first enabled it took about 6 hours to complete.
    Perfectly right. And more if you encrypt also a full SD Card.
    But I must add, you said no app, but you obviously installed Android app like WhatsApp that run in the background and suck your battery life on 4G...
    09-13-14 12:29 PM
    Perfectly right. And more if you encrypt also a full SD Card.
    But I must add, you said no app, but you obviously installed Android app like WhatsApp that run in the background and suck your battery life on 4G...
    I have no SD on my Q10.
    Ok, WhatsApp was running in background (no active frame, I was receiving notification), but it doesn't count since I don't have control over that app. I mean, once I've closed the active frame there's not much I can do. Anyway, it's not WhatsApp the problem. The running encryption is an interesting option, since I saw high CPU usages in the battery usage graph. But I turned encryption on at least 12 hours before, with a whole night in between, so it seems strange that the encryption was still not over. Does anybody knows how bad it impacts having encryption on vs 4G/LTE usage? I would do A/B testing but I can't since... well, it's my primary (and only) device and I cannot afford having a dead device after four hours because I'm testing configurations.
    09-13-14 04:02 PM
    ...hmm odd...I have a Q10 for work, and it just sits most of the weekend...on 4G LTE...Wi-Fi...Bluetooth and any other option turned on so it's ready when I need it...and when it does sit with th occasional call or message...(BBM..i have no use for WhatsApp)...and it has gotten along for about two days between charges like that...maybe just a reboot and it will go back to normal?...you say high CPU usage...any particular app or process that is accounting for this?...

Posted on CB10 via my Z30....
    09-13-14 04:34 PM
    Id wait a few days and see if it is the encryption thats doing that if not your battery may be going bad.

Posted via CB10
    09-13-14 05:08 PM
    By the way, post here a screenshot of your Device Monitor battery panel with the "Since last charge" ticked
    09-13-14 10:39 PM
    I agree G_F,

Generally I've found 4G to be a battery hog. I only switch it on when I need to stream or download a large file.
    On my iPhone 5 it was an overheating nightmare. Lasted one month.
    09-13-14 10:57 PM
    Generally I've found 4G to be a battery hog.
    It is, but for his Q10 to lose so much, there is something up&down the network all the time.
    Personally, I have no trouble with 4G in a daily usage. But, I haven't Android apps that need to be connected all the time.
    We'll see your Device Monitor screenshot, but I guess you will have to try to live without WhatsApp like apps 1 day or 2 for testing.
    09-13-14 11:20 PM
    I enabled encryption again, since I wiped my phone and now I don't have 5GB of media like before, just ∼1GB of data. I've also enabled 4G(&3G&2G). I'll be out soon, I'll make sure encryption is over before pulling the plug and I'll post a screenshot of the device monitor in a few hours.
    09-14-14 03:51 AM
    It is, but for his Q10 to lose so much, there is something up&down the network all the time.
    Personally, I have no trouble with 4G in a daily usage. But, I haven't Android apps that need to be connected all the time.
    We'll see your Device Monitor screenshot, but I guess you will have to try to live without WhatsApp like apps 1 day or 2 for testing.
    I agree. I used to reformat my devices when they behaved oddly. Not that I am making a recommendation. Just sayin'.
    09-14-14 05:53 AM
    I am very curious & look forward to seeing how it changes
    09-14-14 09:05 AM
    Yep I agree that 4G eat a lot of battery, anyway its useless to do it here in PH LTE and 3G i feel its the same speed.
    09-15-14 05:18 AM
    I'm getting a much better battery life now! Today I had a standard usage (which involves some WhatsApp, half an hour of phone calls, and some quick web browsing) and I've still plenty of juice! 4G on and almost always connected. Meanwhile I upgraded to the latest 10.3 leak, so it could be easier on the battery when running Android apps but well, I can't complain now. Disappointing battery life on Q10 with 4G and encryption-img_20140915_210338.png
    09-15-14 02:19 PM
    on LTE (2 bars) with encryption on device and on SD card i can get over 24 hours with fairly constant usage.
    09-17-14 07:32 PM
    My phone is on verizon and it won't even allow me to change from 4G LTE. They don't even make it an option. Perhaps it's an enterprise thing?
    09-17-14 08:30 PM