I guess this is my biggest concern when upgrading from my Bold to the Q10. Every Blackberry I've used so far has had a trackball/pad, so maybe anyone who's been able to try out the Q10 can shed some light or even anyone who has thoughts.
    03-20-13 08:25 AM
    Well anyone with a 9900 can just test out cut and paste without using the trackpad. With very little practice I find that I can do it on the screen as fast as with using the trackpad. The one area where I find the trackpad useful is when you have to "tick a box". I still wish they had kept the trackpad but not at the expense of screen size. Maybe they could have found room for a mini trackpad in the middle of the KB.
    03-20-13 08:38 AM
    I guess this is my biggest concern when upgrading from my Bold to the Q10. Every Blackberry I've used so far has had a trackball/pad, so maybe anyone who's been able to try out the Q10 can shed some light or even anyone who has thoughts.
    i would not be too concerned about it. I am a 9900 user, and I use the touchscreen about 90% of the time to execute actions. Its a great combo, and becomes very natural in no time. With the bigger screen area (28% larger than the 9900), and the BB10 OS, its a winner!!!!
    03-20-13 08:41 AM
    This is also my issue. I love my 9930 with the trackpad and barely touch the screen for anything. I just plan to upgrade to the Z10, I figure if I'm going to struggle being without my trackpad I might as well junp all in and try the virtual keyboard.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    Willie Heyward likes this.
    03-20-13 08:45 AM
    The Q10/Dev C is VERY easy to use without a trackpad. If you spend any time with the Z10, all of the same gestures carry over. It really is just a condensed OS.
    spike12 likes this.
    03-20-13 08:49 AM
    I have the z10 and 9900.

In all honesty, it's difficult without the trackpad, not impossible but not as efficient.

* selecting multiple words is a breeze with holding alt and trackpad, on the z10, manageable but not as good

* copying and pasting, again faster with trackpad plus dedicated option key

* positioning the cursor is faster and more precise than the z10, sometimes you tap and it brings up a bubble, when trying to move it you can't see where your moving it too, other time it highlights the word, other times it brings up the side menu options.

I'm learning to get used to it though, but miss the trackpad

Posted via CB10
    03-20-13 09:45 AM
    I had an easy time getting used to it...my 9860 trackpad stopped working a few months before I got my Z10.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-13 10:12 AM
    I have the z10 and 9900.

In all honesty, it's difficult without the trackpad, not impossible but not as efficient.

* selecting multiple words is a breeze with holding alt and trackpad, on the z10, manageable but not as good

* positioning the cursor is faster and more precise than the z10, sometimes you tap and it brings up a bubble, when trying to move it you can't see where your moving it too, other time it highlights the word, other times it brings up the side menu options.

Posted via CB10
    Agree with all your points. The other area where I find myself missing the track pad is in the browsing precision. With the BB10 browser it renders full desktop sites w no problems but that also means more content crammed on the screen. With my 9900, I could use the track pad to click even the tiniest of links without having to zoom in. It's a lot harder on the Z10.

I wonder why they didn't implement some kind of auto magnifier that I've seen on Android phones where if you put your finger on an area that has multiple links close together, the screen automatically zooms in so can you can make your selection and then automatically zooms out. Or maybe they did and I haven't figured it out yet?

Posted via CB10
    03-21-13 07:54 PM
    I am really concern about the lack of trackpad, mainly because touchscreen phones and me just don't work. I notice on the forum some people that got the bold 9900/9930 set their touchscreen sensitivity setting to the point that it "disable" the touchscreen. My question could it be even done on the Q10 and still be able to make phone calls, text, and answer/read emails?

Now before I get flame about not keeping up with the new technology and such, I have a legit reason for asking this question because i have minor tremors in my hands which makes using a touchscreen phone not workable in a efficient manner. My current phone is still working (have to do battery pulls from time to time and have to put up with the freezes), but with all technology at some point it is going to stop working and I am going to have to get a new phone, which might just be a feature phone if I can find a workable solution.
    Last edited by ChainPunch; 03-21-13 at 10:52 PM.
    03-21-13 08:26 PM
    The last time I had a trackpad, it was on a HTC Desire Z. I didn't find anything wrong with the trackpad but I didn't have any use for it either, other than to scroll through ClockworkMod recovery when flashing a new custom ROM. After a while trackpads just disappeared from future Androids because no one was really using them.

I can understand the trackpad being useful for fine-tuning things like selecting text, but for general usage like going to apps, scrolling a web page, etc, the touch screen is far superior.

As long as the screen is properly calibrated so that your thumb actually selects exactly what it presses on (this is a problem with lowest end Androids), you'll be able to get used to using the touch screen for small things like selecting text.
    03-21-13 09:02 PM
    Z10's OK. Touch screen is a learning curve. It's got lots of candy but I wish they hadn't have screwed up the sync part. Anyway on the keyboard in BBM I find myself accidentally hitting the send met a lot when I'm aiming for the M key. If I could choose I would reverse the position of the send key and the smiley fave key.

Posted via CB10
    03-21-13 11:41 PM
    I'm thinking about using my Bold 9930 with just the touch screen to try and get used to not having a trackpad.

I just noticed I use my blackberry button and return button a lot also. what's going to be the functions to replace those?
    03-22-13 08:05 AM
    To pull up the settings in an app, swipe down from the top bezel and the menu pops up. To get back to the home screen, swipe up from the bottom bezel and you will be brought to the active frames screen where you will see a minimized version if the app you were just in and anything else that is currently running. From there it's a simple swipe from right to left and you're back at the home screen.

It's a bit of a learning curve, but once you get used to it, you'll have a hard time remembering how you got by without the gestures. I can't imagine having a home button again.

JB

Posted via CB10
    03-22-13 10:11 AM
    Well anyone with a 9900 can just test out cut and paste without using the trackpad. With very little practice I find that I can do it on the screen as fast as with using the trackpad. The one area where I find the trackpad useful is when you have to "tick a box". I still wish they had kept the trackpad but not at the expense of screen size. Maybe they could have found room for a mini trackpad in the middle of the KB.
    It would be cool if they assigned a button to check boxes, c key would be fitting, perhaps pop ups ould occurr and then you select c for check until the form you are completing.
    03-22-13 03:02 PM
    The PRIMARY usefulness of that trackpad is it's ability to select text ....to finely move the cursor.

If you do not do a lot of text manipulation, it doesn't matter at all.

But for me, a person who works with documents and takes massive notes on my 9930, I will surely miss the trackpad.

Even on my huge screen iPad, it is a major hassle to select text and manipulate it..... far, far easier on the 9930.
    03-22-13 05:51 PM
    I've been dying to move back to a 9900....

If you gave me the choice between a 9900-design and a Q10, and they both would have BB10, I would choose the 9900-design just for the trackpad.
    LLAmos and Revampd like this.
    03-22-13 06:08 PM
    I've been dying to move back to a 9900....

If you gave me the choice between a 9900-design and a Q10, and they both would have BB10, I would choose the 9900-design just for the trackpad.
    From a design point of view they could have kept the trackpad and increased the length and the Q10 would still have been shorter than the Z10 . We have to presume that the powers that be think that the trackpad is just old BB thinking that would have required extra programming.

I like my trackpad but honestly I can cut and paste quite easily without it. It is all the other things I do with it that I will miss. It sure isn't a showstopper though. I can expand type etc easily enough. I just may have to go cold turkey and get a Z10. I need to see and try out both. For those who need the trackpad ... the BB9900 is a very fine phone. Don't you wish that it would have been possible to upgrade your 9900 to BB10 ? I bought my BB9900 at the time when they had not ruled out the possibility.
    03-22-13 07:19 PM
    Well I think the reason the Q10 ended up without a trackpad is because BB10 was design as a touchscreen driven OS, hence the reason the Q10 was not release at the same time as the Z10 because Blackberry needed more time to get the software to work with a hardware keyboard.

Blackberry more than likely could get BB10 to work with trackpad, but it would take time and resources that Blackberry is not willing to spend on such a projector. At this stage Blackberry is concern about getting the Z10 and Q10 out to users, so they can start release os updates to improve their devices based on actual day to day user feedback.

Just read on the blackberry support form that there is a chance that the delete from device only or delete from mailbox and device option might be making it way into an update.
    03-22-13 07:36 PM
    Hi, I had a dream last night about the no-trackpad on the Q10. Why not emulate the trackpad using keyboard and screen ?

Let me explain :
    - holding alt while touching the screen could make you move in the text as you would use the trackpad itself (I am not sure I explain it right, sorry I am not an english speaking person). Imagine, hold "alt" and move your finger up-down-left-right to move the cursor just like old school blackberrys.
    - text selection can work that easy, just hold "aA" and move your finger on the screen to select text.

I don't know if that was asked before but that would increase productivity a lot.
    03-23-13 04:57 AM
    Hi, I had a dream last night about the no-trackpad on the Q10. Why not emulate the trackpad using keyboard and screen ?

Let me explain :
    - holding alt while touching the screen could make you move in the text as you would use the trackpad itself (I am not sure I explain it right, sorry I am not an english speaking person). Imagine, hold "alt" and move your finger up-down-left-right to move the cursor just like old school blackberrys.
    - text selection can work that easy, just hold "aA" and move your finger on the screen to select text.

I don't know if that was asked before but that would increase productivity a lot.
    This would be great and I would be SOLD on buying a Q10.
    03-23-13 08:47 AM
    I have the z10 and 9900.

Posted via CB10
    Agree with all your points as well.

I actually tried it in the BB10 Toronto event, omg it was very difficult to use. Back button replaced with touch screen, swipe to go up instead of a button, no trackpad is sad

I almost wish it had trackpad in the middle of the g and h key, like IBM laptops
    03-25-13 10:18 PM
    i would not be too concerned about it. I am a 9900 user, and I use the touchscreen about 90% of the time to execute actions. Its a great combo, and becomes very natural in no time. With the bigger screen area (28% larger than the 9900), and the BB10 OS, its a winner!!!!
    Same here. The 10% of the time I don't use it is because either

1. BBOS isn't optimized for it
    2. It's too far and I don't want to reach

Both problems are fixed with BB10. With BB10 the menu bar is on the bottom of the screen, and the screen is right above the keyboard. There's no space between the screen and keyboard where the trackpad and nav buttons used to be. Also BB10 is obviously designed for finger input from the ground up, so there's that covered.
    03-26-13 12:04 AM
    Agree with all your points as well.

I actually tried it in the BB10 Toronto event, omg it was very difficult to use. Back button replaced with touch screen, swipe to go up instead of a button, no trackpad is sad

I almost wish it had trackpad in the middle of the g and h key, like IBM laptops
    I agree with the trackpad thingy like my old thinkpad. If they made it red it would really pop!
    03-26-13 10:24 AM
    It's very hard if you used the Trackpad a lot.
    Some people didn't and obviously it will be easier for them.
    I used the trackpad a lot when it came to text selection and long emails, and now I find I spend longer trying to select in the middle of a word somewhere in an email, than actually typing out the email. Especially ends of words near the edges of the screen.
    Really wish they could have made a small trackpad on the back case or summat.
    03-26-13 10:59 AM
    Everything needs practice.... But having physical keyboard or not having it, is not a matter of practice.
    03-26-13 11:05 AM
56 123