Please, can anyone help me? I was activating Blackberry Link, preparatory to a backup for my Q10, when I was asked for the password. When I entered it, the message was that it was incorrect. I tried a "password reset". No luck. When I called bberry support using another phone, I was informed that I needed the Device PW... which apparently I was supposed to have known about in the first place.

The Rep told me over and over that if I don't enter the Device PW, there is no remedy for not having it, and that NO ONE can access it or reset to a new one. Finally, after 20 min. the person "somewhere in SE Asia" agreed to elevate this to Level 2, and now I have to wait for someone from somewhere to call me. No matter what anyone says I am supposed to know, the fact is that I do NOT KNOW the Device PW. Now only have 5 more tries before everything will be wiped@ Any suggestions?
    02-16-14 10:57 PM
    Your info is very convoluted. You said you attempted a password reset but that's not even possible for a device password. In any case, if your device is asking you for a password when not connected to your computer, there's not exactly a whole lot you can do. As the reps noted, no one can access it and you can't change it w/o knowing the original password. Hate to say it, but you'll likely end up having to wipe your device.
    02-16-14 11:15 PM
    As far as I knew, there was only one password. The concept of a device password never occurred to me. If anyone could give me some idea of what it would look like, perhaps it would ring a bell. But right now it's just a blank.

If the machine is wiped, will I need a new device?
    02-17-14 12:06 AM
    Don't worry, you don't need the password to use your stolen / illegally purchased BlackBerry.

There is no way around not knowing the password, however lucky for you when the device wipes because you don't know the password you will be able to use it. Just the poor guy / gal you stole it from will have their information wiped off it first.

If I am horribly wrong (though I suspect I am not) and you are in fact the rightful owner that somehow doesn't know what their password is then you shouldn't lose very much info as your emails would be safe as would anything on the SD card and your contacts will re populate themselves when you setup your email accounts again

Posted via CB10
    02-17-14 01:25 AM
    If it is a stolen device - it will get blocked on the networks in due time once reported.

As for the system password - yes if you do not have the password you originally set in your phone. It will erase itself.

The PIN and Mac address do not change - those are tracked by bbry and carriers separately.

Posted via CB from my LE
    02-17-14 01:37 AM
    No matter what anyone says I am supposed to know, the fact is that I do NOT KNOW the Device PW. Now only have 5 more tries before everything will be wiped@ Any suggestions?
    The master password for your phone is "blackberry". Enter it six more times in a row and your troubles will magically wipe away.

Posted via CB10
    KermEd likes this.
    02-17-14 01:59 AM
    stolen BB for sure. Blackberry Protect allows the original owner to see the exact location of the phone btw.
    02-17-14 02:04 AM
    I am scrambling to avoid wiping the phone and losing essential client data including all of my upcoming business appointments. I have been on the phone so far with BBerry support in SE Asia and London. For the record, I certainly DID BUY this blackberry. I have all the records, receipts, etc, not to mention the monthly bill. The ATT rep configured it for me at the store, so all I knew about was the Blackberry ID, which I thought was the same as the device PW.
    Frankly, the last thing I need or want right now is your uninformed insult. I founded and have run a private company for many years with the help of several generation of blackberries. My staff now refuses to use blackberries, so I now am the only one left. I came to this site hoping for some ideas and support from the few of us that are left out there.
    Thanks so much for your "kind" assistance...which right now I can certainly do without.

Sandy
    02-17-14 09:24 AM
    Like above poster says. Sometimes I have had to use "blackberry" to something to work. I don't remember the situation right now

Reg leaked 10.2.1.1925. Q10
    02-17-14 09:34 AM
    Someone had your phone, went into settings, then to security and privacy, and then toggled the switch for password device, and then typed it in twice.

If that wasn't you, then someone who was holding your phone did it.

The phone didn't password enable itself, SOMEONE went through the steps to turn it on.

So either find the person who put in the password and get the password, or wipe the device.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-14 09:44 AM
    How did you attempt a password reset?

I just connected my q10 to my laptop with blackberry link and there wasn't a prompt for password reset...

Posted via CB10
    02-17-14 09:46 AM
    If you are on a BlackBerry Enterprise Server, your BES Admin can change the password remotely.

Keep in mind that your device defaults the password to letters, so if your device password is '1234', the device thinks its 'wers', and that's what you would need to type on your PC.

If you are referring to the BlackBerry ID password, this can be reset online at this link: https://blackberryid.blackberry.com/...ecoverpassword

All the best!
    Ken
    02-17-14 09:56 AM
    Like above poster says. Sometimes I have had to use "blackberry" to something to work. I don't remember the situation right now

Reg leaked 10.2.1.1925. Q10
    When you get to 5 unsuccessful password attempts, the BlackBerry wants you to type 'blackberry'; this is to avoid 'pocket-dialing' all the way to 10 unsuccessful tries resulting in a 'pocket-wipe'

I think the same thing happens at after 9 or maybe its after 10 before wipe.

Ken
    02-17-14 10:03 AM
    I see lots of great advice above, that the community has provided for free. Be cautious when demanding an experience from a fan site - we report to ourselves, not to you or CB and demanding anything from the folks here is ill advised.

With that said, lots of good advice. The entering of blackberry 6 times is a joke to reset your device - albeit they may have actually used that as a pwd. But the best advice above was "find the password or reset it". And "if using BES it may be remotely changeable". Of you run an IT business, then you should have BES.

Posted via CB from my LE
    wmilam likes this.
    02-17-14 02:37 PM
    I founded and have run a private company for many years with the help of several generation of blackberries.
    As have I and many here. However, this is easy to lie about on the Web so any statements surrounding one's CV are rather pointless and should be avoided as a defense to one's argument. Foot-in-mouth syndrome soon follows.

The likelihood of a BlackBerry device password locking itself is near zero. Typically your situation screams of being a stolen handset so you have to understand why taking your situation seriously is difficult at best. It's not completely impossible but there are so many checks and balances during the handshake process in BlackBerry Link that a device password can't be set purely by plugging into USB and opening Link.

As others have said, the password was either set by you, a child/significant other/coworker, or the handset's rightful owner. If you truly are the rightful owner then you need to ask your husband, kid(s), coworkers, etc.

Otherwise, wipe it and start over. Surely you have backups. Founders of companies always keep backups, right?

Best of luck

Posted via CB10
    02-17-14 03:17 PM
    Keep in mind that your device defaults the password to letters, so if your device password is '1234', the device thinks its 'wers', and that's what you would need to type on your PC...
    This is important for Q/legacy owners to know about.

It cost me a wipe once, entering my #'s (I knew my PW) while the phone used the letters instead of my numbers.

OP:
    If you don't know your PW, someone got into your phone and put one on it. A perfect example of why you NEED a pw!

You have to wipe at that point. Next time set up a PW yourself, never let other people setup your phone!

CDN BB
    02-17-14 05:21 PM