As a new and proud owner of the Q10, I feel the pain of other Q10 owners missing out on some things having owned a Z10 for almost a year and not missing out on a single app. I listen to developers say how much trouble it is to adjust an app for the Q10, but then SEGA gives us Sonic And SEGA All Stars Racing without delay, and I'm confused as to why some can and some can't. The screen is shorter, but the touch screen and OS work the same. I'm only 2 years into a Mobile Development Degree, but wouldn't a resolution adjustment be all that is really necessary?

I used my Q10 to create this CrackBerry madness!
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    02-11-14 09:50 AM
    I think there is more to it than a resolution adjustment. Especially with menus and stuff like that. I havent coded in a little while but I do know for smaller shops it does take some decent effort to ensure it will work for the Q10/Q5 over the all touch devices. For bigger shops with more man power its not as bad
    02-11-14 09:58 AM
    You have to remember too that many apps that are in BB world are just simple Android Ports... these developers spent a couple of hours and converted their apps. That aren't going to invest a lot of time to make everything fit on the Q's square screens, unless they see a potential profit to do so. With the overall BB10 user base stalling... I don't see developers of these apps caring.

Now Developers that are using BlackBerry tools and are building native apps.... this should not be an issue. But that is a much smaller group.
    02-11-14 10:05 AM
    I think the 'potential for profit' would be that more apps available for the device equals more sales, so I very much agree with the original poster. Waze is a very popular app that's available for Z10, but not Q10 in BlackBerry World. I run the Android app on my Q, and it works very well! Add it so the people who aren't loading Android apps from other sources can get it. I would also like the Denon Remote App to work on my Q10, but that's a whole other topic. I know the list keeps filling in for what's available, but I'm not sure if my next device will be BlackBerry, just because of missing apps. I've been loyal for about 10 years now.

Posted via CB10
    02-11-14 11:49 AM
    My app, Couch 2AnyK Pro (see this thread) does support the Q10 and Q5!

It was a bit frustrating to add support, since I don't own a Q10 and didn't qualify for the DevAlpha C device. In the end I had to purchase a copy of VMWare Fusion and use the Q10 simulator to test my app and customize it for the screen size. It's all done in Cascades, so a lot of things 'just worked' for free, but I had to tweak a couple of the layouts and come up with smart ways to fit the same information on the screen compared to the Z10. For example, on the Q10, the workout screen initially shows the description but not the second timer. When the user starts a workout, the description fades out and the second timer becomes visible and they resize to fit the screen space.

Trying to find colours that looked nice with the dark theme was a bit of a pain too. In the end though, I think it was worth it. More than a few customers requested Q10 support and having the extra downloads is nice. I'm just a 'weekend coder' and I was able to do it, but I think a lot depends on the complexity of your app, and how much of the UI is custom built.
    Last edited by nonesuchnick; 02-11-14 at 04:33 PM.
    app_Developer and Naeg1995 like this.
    02-11-14 12:00 PM
    It was a bit frustrating to add support, since I don't own a Q10 ...
    This is a pretty good point for the OP. In order for a developer to address this, a developer pretty much has to be a BB10 user AND a Q10 user. Just those two requirements would lead one to expect that most software won't be designed specifically with the Q10 in mind.
    nonesuchnick likes this.
    02-11-14 12:23 PM
    But that developer cared enough and took the time to look out for Q10 and Q5 users. That's the mark of a good business man who expands the reach of his product to increase sales. It wasn't easy, but it wasn't impossible either, and he just received free advertisement and our endorsement for his effort.

nonesuchnick likes this.
    02-11-14 01:15 PM
    Thanks @nerdydaddyo! I wish my business was a bit more profitable, but I appreciate the compliment.

There are bunch of C25K apps available in BlackBerry World, but only a few are native of which mine is one. My hope is that users prefer my simple and familiar native Cascades look and feel over other flashier apps. So far the reviews have been pretty positive which is nice.

One thing to keep in mind when looking for apps with Q10 support is the "Built for BlackBerry" seal of approval. Apps that qualify for "Built for BlackBerry" have to support all form factors (developers are given a grace period of 90 days after the new device is released), so it might help to start there. I hope to get Couch 2AnyK Pro Built for BlackBerry approved in the near future.
    02-11-14 01:53 PM
    I never knew that the "Built for BlackBerry " emblem meant support on all BlackBerry 10 devices. Thanks for the heads up!

02-11-14 02:32 PM
    I passed along your app info to Kevin. He has been talking about getting back in shape to do lifting again. It's right up his alley.

02-11-14 02:40 PM
    I passed along your app info to Kevin. He has been talking about getting back in shape to do lifting again. It's right up his alley.
    Thanks very much! It would be an honour to have CrackBerry Kevin as a user of my app! They should have a "Built for CrackBerry" certification, which I guess is kind of what their Editor's choice list is!
    02-11-14 05:41 PM
    Do you have a lite (free) version to try before buying? I haven't had much luck with the C25K apps on App World

Posted via CB10
    02-11-14 06:28 PM
    Do you have a lite (free) version to try before buying? I haven't had much luck with the C25K apps on App World
    Unfortunately not right now, though I've been thinking of doing something like this. Freemium or 'try before you buy' seems to be becoming more popular for users and successful for developers.

Is their a particular concern you have, or a feature that you want to confirm is available?

Posted via CB10
    02-11-14 10:05 PM
    One of the biggest issues is the notifications never seemed to work on the apps I used. Had to constantly check my phone to see when I needed to change from walk to run and so forth. Would love for notifications to work with bluetooth stereo headsets even if music is playing.

Posted via CB10
    02-12-14 07:48 PM
    One of the biggest issues is the notifications never seemed to work on the apps I used. Had to constantly check my phone to see when I needed to change from walk to run and so forth. Would love for notifications to work with bluetooth stereo headsets even if music is playing.
    The app was developed with treadmill users in mind since that's how I use it. It is possible to run without looking at the phone since the notifications will play over other audio (and there's vibration support too). Notifications are currently an audio chime with a vibration pulse, either or of which can be disabled in the settings. There is a double-tone with a short vibration pulse to denote the end of the warmup and beginning of the cooldown. A single tone and long vibration pulse denotes the change from running to walking and vice versa. So, knowing that the first interval after the warmup is always running, it's possible to alternate running with walking until you hear the double tone for the cooldown.

The timers continue to run and notifications will continue to play even if the app is minimized as an Active Frame and another app is open in the foreground.

I had a support request once from a user who had no audio, and the problem ended up being his bluetooth pairing, so from what I know there are users who have used the app with bluetooth headset/headphones successfully though this isn't something I've personally tested.

Audio ducking/muting is not currently implemented, so the notifications are played at the same volume as any other audio streams. The tone should still be distinctive and audible in most cases. Separate distinct chimes for running vs walking, or vocal cues for the notifications instead, are planned as well but currently not part of the app.

I hope that explanation is helpful! If you have any other questions, please let me know. I will be posting screenshots of the Q10 version in BlackBerry World as well as in the announcement thread here, shortly.

Nick
    02-13-14 11:21 AM
    Just one more followup here that Q10 screenshots for my app are now live in the announcement thread, if anyone is curious.

Also, Couch 2AnyK Pro was Built for BlackBerry certified this week!

Nick
    02-20-14 11:11 PM