It happened. In all the apps and games frenzy, BlackBerry forgot they were supposed to be a phone first!

In the "Phone" application, any contact that is linked with Facebook does not show. It's easy for me to recognize this, because only the names without contact pictures appear. After messing randomly with the settings, turning on and off different accounts in "Contacts," the names will appear, but on restart they are gone in "Phone" once again.

How did I resolve this? I unlinked my brother's Facebook in "Contacts." I do this to begin the annoying manual process of unlinking everyone. Then BOOM, my contacts were back in "Phone" correctly. OK, now I relink my bro by revealing Facebook friends in "Contacts," so that I can select the account to link. Done. Now I consider, "maybe I should leave it." I go back to "Phone" and see a TON of names that I don't even have numbers for. (9 out of 10 people don't put their phone numbers in Facebook. That's just asking for it.) So I go back to settings and hide Facebook contacts once again. Restart my phone later and lo and behold.... problem is back. The painful process of individually unlinking name after name begins. Not such a "Smart" phone after all. If and whenever they go to sort this out, how about they only show contacts that you can actually call, under "Phone." It is a "phone" at the end of the day after all.

Maybe you'll say, just go to contacts first and then press the name to call. But that is reversing my thought process. I was born before cell phones, when you had to pick up the phone and then dial a number. That's how I'm tuned. I take out my "mobile device," press phone and then I go from there. If I want to send a text, I'll go to Hub first (previously Messages). I'm never going to get out of the habit. And if the functionality is in the device, it should work correctly.

I like how it linked Facebook for the information, and the profile picture. But my FB friends expect me to contact them through FB. So there is no point to show them all in "Contacts," because it will go straight into the FB app when I want to message them. So, I'll just open the app myself and go to their page. It is just as fast. I think RIM was thinking of this when allowing you to hide these contacts, but they effed it up. I liked the linking just fine, but it's not worth it at the cost of poor functionality.

Add to that the fact that text messages can't be searched in the Hub when all accounts are shown. Only when swiping right and selecting only text messages, or selecting "Text Messages" on the home screen, can you do so. But once they are finally searched, they cannot be deleted in the search screen.

I'm giving them until OS 10.2, if I'm not happy this my last BlackBerry. And it better come soon, and it better have Japanese. They don't even have email hosting anymore! How can they be a market leader 10 years ago and then become this? Apple took an app friendly device (iPod Touch) and put a working phone in it. SUCCESS! BlackBerry releases a still bottom shelf device for apps and puts buggy, unfinished functionality inside.
    Last edited by KuroKuro00; 07-01-13 at 10:26 PM.
    07-01-13 09:54 PM
    The contacts app certainly needs work!
    07-24-13 04:53 PM
    Maybe you'll say, just go to contacts first and then press the name to call. But that is reversing my thought process. I was born before cell phones, when you had to pick up the phone and then dial a number. That's how I'm tuned. I take out my "mobile device," press phone and then I go from there. If I want to send a text, I'll go to Hub first (previously Messages). I'm never going to get out of the habit. And if the functionality is in the device, it should work correctly.

I like how it linked Facebook for the information, and the profile picture. But my FB friends expect me to contact them through FB. So there is no point to show them all in "Contacts," because it will go straight into the FB app when I want to message them. So, I'll just open the app myself and go to their page. It is just as fast. I think RIM was thinking of this when allowing you to hide these contacts, but they effed it up. I liked the linking just fine, but it's not worth it at the cost of poor functionality.
    So I finally got 10.1 because I'm a verizon customer, and I found this issue. I waited for a bit to deal with because I assumed it had to do with linked accounts, and I needed to do some research so I came to crackberry for help. What I've read is no help at all. I'm like the OP. I go to the phone app first to make calls, and half my contacts are not there when I search for them. How did this make it past quality control? Does anyone at Blackberry Inc actually use the phone app? I waited FOREVER to get the 10.1 update, and now I find that the things I waited for are great but the PHONE IS BROKEN. I waited so long for 10.1, and now how long am I going to have to wait for a fix for this? So the fix will be in 10.2 right? and Verizon customers should see that in Q2 of 2014. This sucks ***.
    08-05-13 11:51 AM