Im very frustrated trying to figure this out and the damage to my contacts list is substantial , my contact list keeps changing itself, un linking contacts, deleting numbers, deleting names, and this is without me connecting it to a pc for fear of more damage being done. Ive lost half of my contacts within the past few weeks. I spent 3 hours last week merging all the duplicates to find once agani that the majority of them have been un merged, even some of the numbers have been un-merged with the contact. I updated to the new OS and the problem only got worse, im at a loss , i would wipe everything but I do not want to lose teh rest of my contacts.

model-sqn100-1
    Carrier - Telus
    software - 10.1.0.4181
    09-03-13 11:55 AM
    Not that I know exactly what's going on but I spent a lot of time editing my contacts after the switch to bb10. I ended up deleting all my sim contacts as they appear to be duplicating themselves. I also noticed that a lot of contacts were linked that shouldn't be creating other issues. I had to go through my 300 conatcts and unlink as well as delete all the sim card contacts before my problems were solved. Took a couple hours in front of the TV but it was worth it to stop the glitches I was having.

Posted via CB10
    Downturn likes this.
    09-03-13 12:12 PM
    Guys, if you have contacts on the SIM, I suggest to delete it really. It seems to be causing a lot of duplication and unlinking problems. Probably a bug with the OS. I use intouchapp from BB World for backing up and restoring of contacts. Alternatively, I have another backup stored in outlook just in case. I would recommend cloud services as they seem to be more reliable for me.
    09-03-13 12:21 PM
    Ok sounds good, I will delete all my SIM card contacts and go from there, switching from my 9900 to Q10 regarding contacts has been nothing but problems and frustrations since the original transfer from phone to phone, is there a cloud based app you reccomend?
    09-03-13 12:30 PM
    Haha I mentioned it already. I use both intouchapp contacts. It's a native app and is free. I also keep another backup in outlook. Here is the link for intouchapp contacts.

BlackBerry World - IntouchApp Contacts - Backup + Sync + Auto-update

However, since you came from BB7, you can just do a restore from a previous BB protect backup. DId you try that yet? It's located in settings and under BlackBerry Protect.
    09-03-13 01:01 PM
    awesome thank you ! no I havent tried that, I was worried the new contacts that were added since then would be deleted and replaced with the new list?
    09-03-13 01:16 PM
    Well you could always manually make a BB protect backup on your BB7 phone first before transferring anything to your new Q10. So just make sure you have everything you need and perform that backup. Then restore on your Q10. This is if you have not yet wiped your BB7 phone.
    09-03-13 01:27 PM
    Outlook.com seems to work the best with the new phones. If you have your contacts synced to a desktop version of Outlook, I think you can export them, then import them into Outlook.com and they will then sync to your phone.

Once you have the contacts syncing from a cloud source, there is an option to delete local contact which will get rid of any old contacts that may be on the local storage of the phone.
    09-03-13 01:36 PM
    Ok I will try that tonight and see where I get, I will let you know tomorrow how it worked. for now Ive deleted all my sim card contacts , and thanks for answering, Ive been on CB for 4 years, never had to make a post till now, made 1 post on the Blackberry support website and never got a single response, Always Happy to support this site
    the_igg likes this.
    09-03-13 01:42 PM
    I have sort of the same problem on my Z10
    09-03-13 02:56 PM
    Some carriers offer a free contacts backup service to their own cloud. Verizon has something called BackUp+ to do this. AVOID THEM LIKE THE PLAGUE!!! Multiple cloud sources for contacts is a recipe for disaster. I had to wipe my device and set up my accounts all over again with only a single contact source (iCloud). That sorted it for me. Verizon's latest software update is BB 10.1.0.4189 and that seems much more robust as far as handling contacts.
    09-03-13 10:37 PM
    Yeah the contacts app in BlackBerry10 is really troublesome.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1047
    09-04-13 01:12 AM
    which is funny because my bold, both storms and world edition all had great contact applications, moving forward with a platform that worked well to one that has only been troublesome has been more than dissapointing, especially since this is my second Q10, my first only lasted a month and then refused to turn on.
    09-04-13 07:57 AM
    Interested in this thread because I've only had my Q10 for a week and already the contacts (or lack of) seems to be a nightmare. I had to hand back my old B'Berry Curve to my company as it belonged to them so I couldn't sync contacts device to device. My contacts are in .csv file but getting them into the Q10 is very difficult. Someone suggested opening a Gmail account and loading them into that then syncing that with the Q10. I tried this and it hasn't worked yet but I'll not give up.

Meanwhile it seems to have added contacts from Twitter and Facebook which is ok but pretty useless because I won't be phoning anyone on Twitter
    Do you chaps have this too?
    09-04-13 08:53 AM
    Rich5ltr , I have those contacts in there as well, have hid the Linkedin and Twitter, I havent had any success with linking my gmail contacts with the contacts on my phone, it will only let me import via a file, not over the web. And there is no way to my knowledge to ecxport your contacts to a .txt or excel file like with older BB's, please correct me if im wrong anyone here.
    09-04-13 09:18 AM
    I was having the same issues with my contacts. Only fix fir me was to wipe my device and delete my Twitter, LinkedIN, and Facebook apps.

Posted via Pilot's Q10
    09-04-13 09:34 AM
    I wouldn't trust any cloud like gmail with my contacts. If/when I do get a Q10, I'll probably start fresh, not sync or try to restore from anywhere and just load everything manually.
    09-04-13 10:27 AM
    I was having the same issues with my contacts. Only fix fir me was to wipe my device and delete my Twitter, LinkedIN, and Facebook apps.
    Posted via Pilot's Q10
    What issue with the contacts did you solve by deleting your social media account from your device?
    09-04-13 11:29 AM
    What issue with the contacts did you solve by deleting your social media account from your device?
    Stopping social apps from syncing contacts was what sorted out my problems. That, and Verizon's contacts backup app. Multiple cloud-based sources seems to be a primary factor in contacts disappearing at random, plus phantom linking of unrelated contacts. I recall that I called my sister from the contact on my Q10. After the call I noticed her listed by name in call history. About a half hour later her call was listed by phone number. Curious, I went into my contacts and found she was no longer there!

Wiping the Q10 completely and then setting up my accounts from scratch, careful to only allow iCloud as a contacts database, sorted the issue.
    09-04-13 12:21 PM
    I've had the Q10 since the beginning and my contacts woes are getting worse, not better. Sometimes I have up to 10 duplicates of each contact and sometimes some contacts are missing completely. Editing them is troublesome too. For example today I tried to add a street address to an existing contact . At the particular point I did the edit there were 4 mltiples of his Contact details. I chose one, edited it and then saved, but the name of his house replaced his name. I then went to edit another and all four disappeared when I saved. This is typical of what has been happening since bb10 for me (I had a z10 before). And it's pretty hopeless.

Contacts books are built up over years and often vital for business so for entries to randomly come and go (and still be so troublesome so long after the Release of BB10) is shabby. I only feel confident using it because I still have backups of my trusty 9900 that could be restored in an emergency.

I don't have Twitter, Facebook or LinkedIn on the device or any SIM contacts.
    09-04-13 03:36 PM
    fingers.here , your problem is very much like mine, I never got into the editing of the contacts , yesterday I tried to add a new address for a contact and it wouldnt get rid of the old one and kept both no matter how many times I deleted it, If I have time tonight im going to wipe the phone and start over, bringnig the contacts from my trusty 9900 and not using any cloud services this time
    09-04-13 03:46 PM
    Contacts is horrible on BB10. Excruciatingly poor execution. Saving contacts on SIM is an old process which's usefulness has been eclipsed by modern technology, so I wouldn't do it anymore.

Posted via CB10
    09-04-13 06:20 PM
    which is funny because my bold, both storms and world edition all had great contact applications, moving forward with a platform that worked well to one that has only been troublesome has been more than dissapointing, especially since this is my second Q10, my first only lasted a month and then refused to turn on.
    Yes but on the traditional BBOS I would always turn off syncing of contacts. Worked very well indeed. It's all the social integration crap that's the issue in BlackBerry 10. Not a bad idea just poorly implemented thus far.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1047
    09-04-13 06:32 PM
    My device has a very hard time finding a contact from my Contacts when I go to send an email or make a call. Sucks. Contacts worked fine on my q10.
    09-05-13 08:10 AM
    So chaps, I assume there is a setting where I can switch off syncing of contacts on Facebook/Twitter etc.?

And... regarding storing contacts on the SIM. I can only see SIM as an option, I assume you can also store them on the device but how?
    Last edited by Rich5ltr; 09-05-13 at 03:51 PM.
    09-05-13 10:56 AM
26 12