I am really starting to dislike the Q10. So many things that worked well on the 9900 are now gone or function more poorly on the Q10.

A major pet peeve is that when you are trying to search contacts, the system retains the previous search info and you first have to go back to delete that data.

Despite what is supposed to be a more powerful device and a vastly more efficient new operating system, the Q10 is actually much slower to perform basic tasks than my 9900. About the only thing it does quickly is swipe.

(PS: Sorry for the typo in the headline.)
    Last edited by SoxFan; 08-12-13 at 09:40 AM.
    08-12-13 09:28 AM
    You shouldn't have to SozFan. When you are finished searching, either press cancel after you have finished or close the app.

I just tried searching and then closed it out and opened it again. No previous searches were visible and I did not have to delete my previous search information.
    08-12-13 12:01 PM
    I swipe and close out of my Contacts.
    08-12-13 12:05 PM
    Swipe and then minimize then hit the "X" or just swipe to the side?

Also, are you searching through your contacts or using the Universal Search icon on your homescreen/folder?
    08-12-13 12:21 PM
    Swipe, minimize, and then hit X to close the box.
    08-12-13 12:29 PM
    Very weird.

Can you open up Search and swipe from the top. Hit Settings, and check to see that Search History is set to OFF.
    08-12-13 12:41 PM
    When I go to Contacts, I just start typing a name, and as I type, it looks for contacts with that spelling. I then select one.

Then I make a call or send an email from the selected contact. The I swipe and X out of Contacts.

The next time I go to Contacts, whatever I typed for the previous contact is still there, so I have to hit Cancel and then it gets erased. But the field should really be blank and I should be able to just start typing the next contact.
    08-12-13 12:50 PM
    Open Search
    Swipe from the top
    Make sure Search History is set to off.

Should be good to go.
    08-12-13 01:00 PM
    Great, except that when I open Search, it won't swipe from the top. It just says No Search history in the middle of the screen. If I click on Settings, nothing comes up, and I also can't swipe down?
    08-12-13 01:07 PM
    Then you must be searching from Contacts.

On your homescreen is an icon, Search. Please select the icon and follow the instructions in Post #8
    08-12-13 01:20 PM
    The Search icon is a magnifying glass and is my last icon on my phone. When I open it, I get a search box and in the middle of the screen there is a big blue magnifying glass which says no search history. The is no swipe down from this screen. The is a menu bar to the top left,but that doesn't seem to help?
    08-12-13 01:38 PM
    Swiping down from the top of the screen will show you a menu with two choices; Settings on the right, and Help on the left.

After searching, you can either hit Cancel, and then close it out. or you can go to the settings in Search and disable Search History.
    08-12-13 01:48 PM
    No Clear History Option from Search function. There is a settings button within Search (not accessible via swipe down but from the menu button on the top left of the search bar), but that doesn't have a Clear History option.

I can hit Cancel in the Contacts folder which does clean the history.
    08-12-13 02:12 PM
    Swiping down from the top of the screen will show you a menu with two choices; Settings on the right, and Help on the left.

After searching, you can either hit Cancel, and then close it out. or you can go to the settings in Search and disable Search History.
    the search history in the serach app has nothing to do with the search history within the contacts app.

If you open up contacts, type a name of the person you are looking for, swipe up and then x out of the contacts app, and then open the contacts app again, it will have that name still there, even with your search history set to off.

I feel like this is similar to the hub issue where whenever you access hub it will show you the last thing you were looking at within hub.
    08-12-13 02:13 PM

If you open up contacts, type a name of the person you are looking for, swipe up and then x out of the contacts app, and then open the contacts app again, it will have that name still there, even with your search history set to off.
    This is what I am complaining about. Also, the Contacts search name recognition functionality is much slower than with the 9900. There is a very perceptible delay/lag from when I type in a letter and the adjustment of the contact list as I type. Unbelievable that Blackberry takes such a step back with this stupid product. They deserve to go bankrupt. They had such a good product and technology lead. All they had to do was make devices that were better in terms of:

1) faster O/S
    2) more memory
    3) better cameras
    4) faster browsing
    5) longer battery life

Everything else beyond the functionality of the 9900 is not impt to most Blackberry users.
    08-12-13 02:23 PM
    This is what I am complaining about. Also, the Contacts search name recognition functionality is much slower than with the 9900. There is a very perceptible delay/lag from when I type in a letter and the adjustment of the contact list as I type. Unbelievable that Blackberry takes such a step back with this stupid product. They deserve to go bankrupt. They had such a good product and technology lead. All they had to do was make devices that were better in terms of:

1) faster O/S
    2) more memory
    3) better cameras
    4) faster browsing
    5) longer battery life

Everything else beyond the functionality of the 9900 is not impt to most Blackberry users.
    BB10 has all 5 of those over the 9900.

You named one thing as a major pet peeve, and I agreed with you, although to be honest, after looking into it further, I can tell that this 100% isin't the case in 10.2, someone else will need to test this on 10.1 to see if it works.

This statement is not true for 10.2 "Then I make a call or send an email from the selected contact. The I swipe and X out of Contacts.

The next time I go to Contacts, whatever I typed for the previous contact is still there, so I have to hit Cancel and then it gets erased."

After ending the call, you have the phone app open as well as the contact app open (displaying the contact you emailed or called) if you hit the x to close out, then open up contacts again, it shows you a fresh contact list with nothing in the search bar.

So we just need someone to do the following:

search for a contact within the contact app
    call or email that contact
    close out the contacts app
    open the contacts app and tell us what you see.
    08-12-13 02:33 PM
    I get:

1) slower O/S
    -- Slower to boot up. Slower to search for contacts as you type in each letter. Slower to open new email when you type R in an email or on an email. Many functions now take 2-3 steps to complete whereas there used to be a convenience button or speedy short cut key. Just all around slower to respond and more laborious to perform basic, frequent tasks.
    2) more memory
    -- There is more memory, but I'll be damned if I can how that translates into any practical benefit.
    3) better cameras
    -- Yes, both 8mp back and the existence of a front camera are improvements (why can't they make the front an 8mp camera too, and why stop at 8mps?). Also, I still can't activate Normal Shooting Mode (grayed out).
    4) faster browsing
    -- Agreed.
    5) longer battery life
    -- Disagree...worse battery life for me.

And so while some of the things are better, many, many are worse, and we have all extras that few people care about.

It's also a data usage hog. I went thru $150 of usage (600MBs) in one week in Europe last week!!! That sucks!!!

With my 9900, I would have been fine with about 10MBs of usage.

I want a fast, functional email device with a hard keyboard, quick browsing/surfing, long battery life, and a good camera.
    08-12-13 02:57 PM
    I want a fast, functional email device with a hard keyboard, quick browsing/surfing, long battery life, and a good camera.
    I'm not going to go through point by point with my opinions since you've clearly already come to a conclusion on how you feel. That being said, you can't seriously think the 9900 was better at browsing then then q10.
    08-12-13 02:59 PM
    I'm not going to go through point by point with my opinions since you've clearly already come to a conclusion on how you feel. That being said, you can't seriously think the 9900 was better at browsing then then q10.
    I agreed with you above that the Q10 is much better at browsing. I am not saying that there are no features on the 10 that are better. Obv the camera is better too. I am saying, we would have had a much better product if they just improved those core functions I mentioned and stopped trying to reinvent the wheel and throw in all these superflous features.
    08-12-13 03:09 PM
    The Search icon is a magnifying glass and is my last icon on my phone. When I open it, I get a search box and in the middle of the screen there is a big blue magnifying glass which says no search history. The is no swipe down from this screen. The is a menu bar to the top left,but that doesn't seem to help?
    The Search Icon is about as useful as two dead flies in a windstorm. I appreciate your original post, SoxFan...I could have written it myself. I also appreciate this thread, because with it I learn how to do things more quickly. Why waste time opening contacts or search? Skip it. Just pick up the phone and start typing the name of the contact or whatever. It pops right up, and you know you're opening the contact when you see the little blue man box. Or the remember file....etc.
    Last edited by sulcopete; 08-12-13 at 04:30 PM.
    08-12-13 04:08 PM