I am considering switching from a windows phone to a Q10. I am mainly interested in the fact that it has a keyboard b/c, unfortunately, in the past when my Lumia 900 froze up, I wouldn't have been able to even make an emergency call . Is this going to be a non-issue since the Q10 has a keyboard? Also, I am wondering how similar the touch screen part is to a touch screen only phone (other than it will be smaller). I mostly use the phone for talk/text, alarms, reminders, calendar, and the occasional facebook, youtube, banking, and looking up stuff on google.

Also, I read somewhere something about BB has their own message/data usage (or something to that effect)?? I am on my mom's AT&T 6gig (??) plan. She is ususally the only one who uses any of it and has an iphone. So, is there some weird billing issues that will arise? I am due for a free upgrade, but haven't gone in yet. I looked online and saw the Q10 is $50 with a 2yr agrmt. I don't know if that means I can do that for my upgrade or not.

I was originally looking into the Z10, but then I saw the Q10 with the keypad. As of now, I still keep my old samsung slidphone with me in case I need to make an emergency call and the screen on the Lumia 900 happens to be froze up.

I almost forgot that the whole reason I am not sticking with the windows phone is as of right now, I will not be able to get my pictures off of it unless I text them all to my mom so she can email them to me. I spent 5hrs on the phone with Nokia befor they ended up telling me I would have to contact Zune. There is something wrong with the Zune software that is used for that on my computer and I can't get my picture to go from the phone to the computer. What is the picture situation for BB???

Thanks for any info,
    Lahoma
    06-13-14 06:11 PM
    I have a z10 and my phone only has ever frozen up once. I'd imagine this to be a non-issue on all BlackBerry 10 devices. BlackBerry no longer uses BIS which use to compress data usage. This means the BlackBerry 10 devices now use the same amount of data you would use on an iPhone or Android.

The basic apps like Facebook and banking work great on my z10.

It is extremely easy to take pictures off the device. You can save all pictures in an SD card and then take them off there or just plug your phone into the computer and the device will be recognized under "my computer", I don't even think you would need to install BlackBerry Link (the desktop software for handling backups and whatnot).

Posted via CB10 on the Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    lkanaday and jcarlos100 like this.
    06-13-14 06:19 PM
    It is very easy to get photos from Q10 to the computer. You can even do it wirelessly! I have a Windows phone and Q10 and I got to say the Q10 is a major step above the Windows phone. I also have a Z10 and even though it's got a bigger screen I still prefer the Q10.

Posted via CB10
    lkanaday and rawat_sandip like this.
    06-13-14 06:23 PM
    Regarding the emergency calls, you can type 911 while the screen is locked and it ask if you want to make an emergency call and you hit OK. Will even turn on Mobile Network if you have it off.

Posted via CB10
    lkanaday likes this.
    06-13-14 06:26 PM
    I was a lumia 720 user & glad switched to Q10.. BlackBerry os 10 is far far better than wp8...Q10 an awesum device

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    lkanaday likes this.
    06-13-14 11:53 PM
    Don't limit yourself. BlackBerry 10 is also best in class touch keyboard.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    06-14-14 01:18 AM
    I've used extensively all the platforms out there, and in MY experience, I equal BlackBerry and WP as the top platforms. I actually absolutely love the Live Tiles on WP, but also loving the peek and flow of bb.

from an australian Z10...
    dolco, vrabac, kbz1960 and 1 others like this.
    06-14-14 01:23 AM
    I have both Q10 & Z30 and love them both.

Have you actually seen/held/tried out a Q10 on display anywhere? I don't know what size phone your current one is, but yes the screen is smaller on Q10.

Another thing that MAY cause you some visual discomfort at first is the type of display screen Q10 has. It's not nearly as bright as your regular lcd screen. I had a headache the first week I used it but I got used to it and all is well.

Now regarding the pictures on your current phone. Can't you just bluetooth them over to your Q10? Or if your current phone has NFC you can transfer in a Zip folder to Q10.

Q10SQN100-2/10.3.0.296
    06-14-14 02:20 AM
    You should be able to plug your Lumia into a computer via USB, and then get the photos off from the computers file browser.
    06-14-14 02:38 AM
    What if you tested it? Simply give it a try! The phone is excellent... You might stick with it.
    In Germany, to get full use of Mail-push, BBM, espeacially with other BB-OS, I need a BIS(Blackberry-Internet-Sercice). But I also read it is not really necessary, so I wonder why I am paying 10bucks more per month...
    I always say, if you pick up the phone, you won't regret it!

From Curve to Bold, now using a Q10, the Q is my best phone ever!

Cheers.

BlackBerry*Q10, T-Mobile Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2941
    juliankueh and lkanaday like this.
    06-14-14 03:01 AM
    If you're going to use the phone as you described, a BlackBerry 10 smartphone is absolutely the right choice. The only thing I'd mention is that you're obviously a little snap happy so for easier editing of pictures and viewing, go with the Z30. Although it has a virtual keyboard, it has the best virtual keyboard. I don't think you'll be disappointed. BlackBerry 10 phones use regular data just like other smartphones so that'll be a non issue. The browser is also best in class and extra storage is soo cheap thanks to the expansion SD card slot.

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.3175 O2 UK
    lkanaday likes this.
    06-14-14 03:16 AM
    I currently own a HTC Evo 3D for Android, I own an old-*** iphone 3G because it was a gift from a friend, a Lumia 520 to test out Windows Phone 8.1 (which is a great update from WP 8.0) and I have my Z10 which was my first BlackBerry 10 device and currently using a BlackBerry Q10 which will be my new "primary " device. I don't even use the iphone 3G at all but my partner has a 3GS which I use from time to time for Featurepoints. It is nice to have a few different devices to use because there may be apps that are not available on one platform or the other or just run better on a "competing" OS. I am not a "fanboy" but I do have my reasons for favoring BlackBerry 10. If someone were to ask me which phone to get I will ask them what they want or need before just saying "get a BlackBerry " because there may be a legitimate reason where a BlackBerry isn't going to be their best bet. If they don't care too much about apps then the BlackBerry devices are going to be the one I recommend hands down, especially if they are even considering Windows Phone. I have never had any issue with any BlackBerry app since I got my Z10 last October. Some Android apps give problems but they can be problematic even on native Android devices. In the end I always just tell people to "get what they feel will work best for them " but at the same time also throw in my recommendation to go for a BlackBerry device. Honestly, once you use the Hub, all others feel primitive!!

Posted via CB10
    lkanaday and swadarshan like this.
    06-14-14 05:30 AM
    What if you tested it? Simply give it a try! The phone is excellent... You might stick with it.
    In Germany, to get full use of Mail-push, BBM, espeacially with other BB-OS, I need a BIS(Blackberry-Internet-Sercice). But I also read it is not really necessary, so I wonder why I am paying 10bucks more per month...
    I always say, if you pick up the phone, you won't regret it!

From Curve to Bold, now using a Q10, the Q is my best phone ever!

Cheers.

BlackBerry*Q10, T-Mobile Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2941
    I get all those and I've never paid for BIS. I even remember ppl saying you had to have BIS to use Internet w/ BlackBerry but I've had BlackBerry since 2007 and never paid for BIS.

Z30STA100-3/10.3.0.296 & Q10SQN100-2/10.3.0.296
    kbz1960 and lkanaday like this.
    06-14-14 08:10 AM
    I'm likely heading the other way, going from my Q10 to a Windows Phone because of the whole double typing issue. I love BlackBerry devices and think BB10 OS is the best out there, but if you can't do error-free typing, than it's worthless.

Posted via CB10
    dolco likes this.
    06-14-14 08:29 AM
    I get all those and I've never paid for BIS. I even remember ppl saying you had to have BIS to use Internet w/ BlackBerry but I've had BlackBerry since 2007 and never paid for BIS.

Z30STA100-3/10.3.0.296 & Q10SQN100-2/10.3.0.296
    some vendors add BIS some incorpoarte into the data plan. Rogers BIS plans were the same price as regular data plans.. BB charged $5 to Rogers. Apparently BIS cost BB 1/10th of that. The data compression means everybody won on that deal but I've seen users complain BIS was a very expensive ad on ( meaning a massive rip-off).

BB misses BIS financially as it was a massive money maker but the vendors wanted it gone.

I would pay for BIS if it was available.

OTOH ... when data was done on the phone NO internet owrked , not browser, not twittre, not facebook , BBM ironically could work sometimes when the others didn't
    06-14-14 08:45 AM
    The double-typing issue was one reason I went with a Z30 (traded in an iPhone 4S), instead of a Q10. I caution the OP because the Q10 sacrifices screen size for the physical keyboard. I actually now use both a Z30 and a Lumia 1020, for my business and personal lines. I love both platforms. To the OP, I suggest you get the Z30, which has the best virtual keyboard out there. I personally haven't had any problems with it freezing.

Posted via CB10 from my VZW Z30
    06-14-14 08:49 AM
    Bb 10 calendar works very nicely with the OS, for example when you're in your hub you will notice when meetings are coming up, and they do this without wasting screen real estate.

I LOVE the alarm... I am a REALLY heavy sleeper and have missed meetings in the past due to alarms stopping after 10 minutes or so of beeping, I haven't missed a meeting with my Q10.

In general bb10 can run almost all websites, between android ios and bb10, bb10 browser is most robust. I can't compare to windows phone as I've never used one.

Bb10 can run android apps, I run gps android apps that work flawlessly, and shazam is perfect too.

Data usage will likely be on par with your current phone, in the past bb's used less data, now they're the same.

My Q10 has never frozen... when I leave it in the car when its colder than -15C it will randomly reboot however, but blackberry is sending me a new phone so that should be fixed with that. You "may" want to wait for the Q20 if you can, that will have a "call" button, so even if your touchscreen stops working because lets say you dropped your phone (btw due to the smaller Q10 screens and strong build quality I have never seen a cracked blackberry screen that also has a keyboard), buuut in the event the touch screen failed you could still make calls with the Q20, not the Q10.

My only gripe about the Q10 is selecting/copying/pasting text is not as quick as on older devices, I suspect the Q20 will resolve this as well due to its trackpad.

Posted via CB10
    swadarshan and lkanaday like this.
    06-14-14 09:19 AM
    No, I haven't went to see it yet.
    06-14-14 09:42 AM
    Idk, it initially made me dowload zune.
    06-14-14 09:43 AM
    It looks like At&t dosn't carry the Z30.
    06-14-14 09:53 AM
    I also forgot to mention that the Lumia 900 mysteriously decided to stop playing video about 2 mos ago
    06-14-14 09:55 AM
    Doesn't your Lumia work as a network drive?
    06-14-14 10:01 AM
    Will the Q20 come out in November? Will At&t carry it?
    06-14-14 10:03 AM
    I just called att and they said they won't know until november.
    06-14-14 10:15 AM
    Me too, I was just going to get another wp until the picture thing happened. I am not even considering iphone, maybe bc i get tired of seeing them everywhere.
    06-14-14 10:39 AM
49 12