I'm using a Bold 9780 and an 8700 and I think it's about time to change my phone. I love physical keyboard and track pad but Classic seems too high for me, so I think Q10 is a reasonable choice. There's something I have to ask before I make my choice:
    - My friend told me that Q10 can use BBM and push mail without BIS. Is it true? Does the push mail speed without BIS decrease comparing to with BIS? I'm planning to use the push mail with EDGE data plan, for money saving purpose, does this make the speed become slower? (I ask this because in my 9780, the push mail speed between EDGE and 3G has no difference).
    - The Q10 screen seems hard to select words (comparing to track pad). Do you have any annoyance while selecting words?
    - As far as I know, the BB10 operating system doesn't allow hot keys like BBOS (like 'l' for Calendar, 'm' for Messages, 'a' for Address,...). Is that true? I love using hot keys in BBOS, and if it doesn't exist anymore it would be a big disappointment.
    Thanks for your replies,
    04-20-15 07:29 AM
    I had a torch 9800 and updated to a Q10 and love it. I can confirm that with the Q10 you don't need a BIS service to receive email and BBM. However, because of the new Blackberry 10 it is faster over Blackberry OS and provides richer and more dynamic content which does require more data, speed does help. The two main changes I noticed when changing across to the Q10 that it does take a bit of getting use to with out the trackpad, but with it a practise you get use to it. Cut, copy and paste is probably the hardest task to master. The other is data compression isn't as good, so you end up using a fair bit more data, simple to iOS and Android uses. Something to look out for when going to a new plan.

I use my Q10 on 4G but 3G will suffice but Edge might be a little slow. For me I haven't looked back since upgrading to my Q10.
    04-20-15 07:40 AM
    Selecting words and copying and pasting is different and will take getting used to, but it's actually quite efficient and easy on bb10.

It's faster for me to point and touch the screen for cursor placement than using the trackpad. Keep in mind, you'll probably find it very difficult due to muscle memory but I can assure you, you can be just as fast and accurate on the Q10.

Hot keys do exist - they were just introduced in the 10.3.1 update.

#qwerty #glassweave #darkhorse
    04-20-15 07:54 AM
    I had a torch 9800 and updated to a Q10 and love it. I can confirm that with the Q10 you don't need a BIS service to receive email and BBM. However, because of the new Blackberry 10 it is faster over Blackberry OS and provides richer and more dynamic content which does require more data, speed does help. The two main changes I noticed when changing across to the Q10 that it does take a bit of getting use to with out the trackpad, but with it a practise you get use to it. Cut, copy and paste is probably the hardest task to master. The other is data compression isn't as good, so you end up using a fair bit more data, simple to iOS and Android uses. Something to look out for when going to a new plan.

I use my Q10 on 4G but 3G will suffice but Edge might be a little slow. For me I haven't looked back since upgrading to my Q10.
    No more data compression, I may take it for my consideration. You know, sometimes I do not need to read the whole email on my phone. I just need to know there's an email and my laptop will take over from there.

Selecting words and copying and pasting is different and will take getting used to, but it's actually quite efficient and easy on bb10.

It's faster for me to point and touch the screen for cursor placement than using the trackpad. Keep in mind, you'll probably find it very difficult due to muscle memory but I can assure you, you can be just as fast and accurate on the Q10.

Hot keys do exist - they were just introduced in the 10.3.1 update.

#qwerty #glassweave #darkhorse
    I've searched and found out that the 10.3.1 update even allows customization for hot keys, that's a great news.
    04-20-15 08:21 AM
    Here is a very short answer, SWITCH NOW TO A Q10. Don't need BIS for email. Unless you got attachments the size of 10MB coming in regularly it doesn't make much of a difference to your download speeds.

Posted via CB10
    world saviour likes this.
    04-22-15 05:51 AM
    No need to think about it! It's an awesome solid device!

Posted via CB10
    04-22-15 12:35 PM
    Beware that data usage will at least be doubled or even tripled with a BB10 phone. Say if you are getting by with a 500MB data plan with a 9780, you'll need at least 1GB.

Posted via CB10
    04-22-15 04:32 PM
    It depends on how you use your phone and where your connected to. If you use GPS, facebook (view high res pics), video chat and YouTube a lot of course it is going to eat into your data.
    I use (pop) 6 email accounts, whatsapp, Crackberry and a news feed, I can get by with 500MB a month. Put in about 15 mins of YouTube a day (depends on res) I can survive with 1GB.
    What you also need to understand is that there are plenty of WiFi spots you can use for free starting with home, work, uni, buses trains (where I live have free WiFi) and the likes of shopping centres have free access. Of course you will not be able to watch high res videos or do much of video chatting on public networks. You will not loose email, basic text chat and news feed. For me that is quite sufficient to get me by till I connect to work or home networks to do heavy stuff.
    In summary GET THE DAMN Q10, you will NOT regret it.

Posted via CB10
    04-22-15 06:56 PM
    It depends on how you use your phone and where your connected to. If you use GPS, facebook (view high res pics), video chat and YouTube a lot of course it is going to eat into your data.
    I use (pop) 6 email accounts, whatsapp, Crackberry and a news feed, I can get by with 500MB a month. Put in about 15 mins of YouTube a day (depends on res) I can survive with 1GB.
    What you also need to understand is that there are plenty of WiFi spots you can use for free starting with home, work, uni, buses trains (where I live have free WiFi) and the likes of shopping centres have free access. Of course you will not be able to watch high res videos or do much of video chatting on public networks. You will not loose email, basic text chat and news feed. For me that is quite sufficient to get me by till I connect to work or home networks to do heavy stuff.
    In summary GET THE DAMN Q10, you will NOT regret it.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, I've decided to get a Q10, although my desire device is a Q10-size with a tool belt, the classics seems too big for me...
    04-23-15 04:16 AM
    The Classic is rather big.

Another option available to you is the Q5.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 05:34 PM
    The Classic is rather big.

Another option available to you is the Q5.

Posted via CB10
    The Q10 looks much more sexier...
    04-24-15 12:35 AM
    I did that move long time ago, and if I had to chose today, I woud definitely go for the classic : I miss the toolbelt. Now, my Q10 is retired, and replaced with something with a bigger screen, and half a keyboard ;-)

Posted via CB10
    04-24-15 12:52 AM
    Q10, no doubts. I used to love 9780 and q10 is the best replacement.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    04-24-15 05:02 AM
    I had a 9700 and 9900. Love my Q10. Get it!

Posted via CB10
    04-24-15 11:25 PM
    I did that move long time ago, and if I had to chose today, I woud definitely go for the classic : I miss the toolbelt. Now, my Q10 is retired, and replaced with something with a bigger screen, and half a keyboard ;-)

Posted via CB10
    I will buy a classic without doubt if it's at Q10's size.. It's too big for me.
    04-25-15 01:21 AM